11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: 11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Unread post by twisted3829 »

team record is 7 done by:
Keith Cothran 2006
Dawan Robinson 2002
Cuttino Mobley 1998
Tyson Wheeler 1996
Carlos Easterling 1992
Herb Dixon 1988

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... rdBook.pdf
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:6,300 attendance. Largest opening night crowd in RC history. Way to show up Rhody nation.
Last four openers trending upward:

2017 UNC-Asheville 6,367
2016 Dartmouth 6,052
2015 American 5,089
2014 Pace 4,210
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I feel like Jarvis was a little unlucky tonight. I think he did a really good job of distributing the ball and giving guys a good chance to score. He should have ended the game with a handful of assists and people praising how he got other people involved instead of people saying he struggled offensively
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I feel like Jarvis was a little unlucky tonight. I think he did a really good job of distributing the ball and giving guys a good chance to score. He should have ended the game with a handful of assists and people praising how he got other people involved instead of people saying he struggled offensively
Yeah he just didn't look to score. Attempted just one shot.
He looks much healthier out there.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job winning by 24 and forcing 27 turnovers

Great attendance

Looking forward to watching the Reno game
0 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

RF1 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:6,300 attendance. Largest opening night crowd in RC history. Way to show up Rhody nation.
Last four openers trending upward:

2017 UNC-Asheville 6,367
2016 Dartmouth 6,052
2015 American 5,089
2014 Pace 4,210
very proud of the attendance tonight making The trip by myself for seton hall game n next night but im organizing a crew for a ny roadtrip home game to rhody n we wil light up fordham
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:team record is 7 done by:
Keith Cothran 2006
Dawan Robinson 2002
Cuttino Mobley 1998
Tyson Wheeler 1996
Carlos Easterling 1992
Herb Dixon 1988

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... rdBook.pdf
and all of those guys were starters

Robinson got his 7 steals coming off the bench and he played only 25 minutes. Entire team had 13 steals and Robinson had 7. Amazing.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:......Ryan Preston is gonna be a key player whose PT will be earned and increase, the guard play seemed tonite to be seemless in all combinations, Akele will get untracked, doubt there will be a 5 minute PT with 5 fouls, he will have some big nites, another key player that has to contribute, the Juice is loose, Layssard and Tertsea are just not goona contribute much, like Fatts motor......on to Reno....fun nite.....loved the crowd size, hope that keeps up....
I watched Layssard in his 5 minutes and Tertsea in his 2 minutes closely last night, if only because I just have not seen either of them on the court much.

To me Layssard looked like he belonged on the court. He only played 5 minutes but he hustled up the court, grabbed an impressive 4 rebounds in his short time, hit his FG attempt and went 1-2 on FTs for 3 points. In a 40 minute game that equates to 24 points and 32 rebounds :lol: :lol:

But seriously, the kid is only just starting his Sophomore year, he did not play in a highly competitive HS league as most of our recruits have the past few years. Remember that just this year, 2017, I have often read posters talk about how Berry may not even belong on the team, never mind being a starter........ then against Harvard scrimmage I'm told he had an unbelievable performance and last night he is a key player in our impressive opening night win.

The jury is still out for me on Layssard and on Tertsea. Key for them will be continuous improvement - they still have 3 years of playing time to go and to improve.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Truly positively surprised by Berry's performance...still....the next day even.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice win, surprising easy, in a game that I thought we might even have a chance to lose. Game was certainly not scheduled to be a cupcake.

NC Asheville was picked #106 in 144 Madness Rankings and picked to win the Big South this year.

If you were to tell me before the game that our 3 leaders in the starting lineup would go:
- EC 3-9 FG, 0-4 on 3FG, 3 rebounds for 10 points in 23 minutes
- Terrell 3-8 FG, 0-2 on 3FG, 5 rebounds for 6 points in 31 minutes
- Langevine 2-4 FG, 1-3 FT, only 2 rebounds in only 15 minutes before fouling out

Dowtin and Berry were not consensus starters going into this season. Some thought Jarvis might start, some thought Preston or Robinson might start.....but Mathews, Terrell and Langevine were always believed to be locks for starting.

Then we win by 84-60. Wow. I would not have believed it.

Shows the depth of this team.
- Dowtin 6-8 FG, 1-1 FT, 4 assists to only 1 TO in 25 minutes - played with poise, confidence, like a Senior but just starting his soph year
- Robinson the best player on the floor (remember his last official game vs Oregon - who can forget it?) Last night he went 7-9 FG, 2-2 on 3FG, 2-4 FT, 7 steals in 25 minutes tied the URI record for most steals in a game. He was the best player on the court last night.
- Berry 6-10 FG, 3-3 FT, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, no TOs in only 17 minutes. The guy is a scoring machine. Great hands, soft hands. Had a few misses go in and out or could have been better than 6-10 FGs. It is very interesting to watch how our guards look for Berry - they obviously have a lot of confidence in him
- Russell and Preston not playing like first year players but blending in and contributing right away - both showing good potential
- Garrett playing steady with zero TOs, 2 Assists and a key steal in 21 minutes, he provided a steady leadership his time on the floor.
- Mike Layssard making the most of his 5 minute opportunity with 3 points and 4 rebounds

Nice win under our belt for heading to play @ Nevada.

Team leaves today, Saturday, for the Monday night game in Reno..
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:Nice win, surprising easy, in a game that I thought we might even have a chance to lose. Game was certainly not scheduled to be a cupcake.

- Berry 6-10 FG, 3-3 FT, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, no TOs in only 17 minutes. The guy is a scoring machine. Great hands, soft hands. Had a few misses go in and out or could have been better than 6-10 FGs. It is very interesting to watch how our guards look for Berry - they obviously have a lot of confidence in him
I also thought they had a 'chance' to lose...

Was also in agreement with another poster that thought best case scenario was to see AB in mop-up time. That the guards were looking for him - a lot - did show that they've got confidence in the guy. Can only remember one time seeing someone exploit him on D (his second foul maybe?), which in 17 minutes is fine. I think he even had one miss because he was actually going by the basket "too fast"...and maybe surprised even himself? He does actually look quicker, more confident and like he's playing with a lot of energy. Curious to see how that translates against a team that has someone go at him on a regular basis, as it didn't seem UNCA did that much last night. Way more than just held his own last night.

Stan is my new favorite player...
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Excellent defensive effort.. Hands constantly deflecting passes.. If they keep this intensity up going to be tough to beat.. Big men held their own.. Good sign. Preston is going to be a key.. Don't count out Layssard. Tertsea looked lost. Don't think he will help at all..
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Our defense is amazing and our hustle is phenomenal! Diving for balls like I’ve never seen. My favorite play of the game though was a high low pass , Andre to Cyril for a layup , beautiful. Also get Tertsea more time, the kid is a house.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Very good game, would love to see that defensive intensity against Nevada....let's see what we can do on the road against a good opponent.

Asheville was small....we had our way inside.....our depth is going to be huge as the season goes along.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote:To me Layssard looked like he belonged on the court. He only played 5 minutes but he hustled up the court, grabbed an impressive 4 rebounds in his short time, hit his FG attempt and went 1-2 on FTs for 3 points. In a 40 minute game that equates to 24 points and 32 rebounds :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately though, the two fouls scales up to 16 fouls per 40 minutes. :) Still, good to see him getting some run at all.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Great defensive effort. Thought Garrett and Stan played with great energy off the bench. Garrett should’ve had at least 2 more assists (Preston travel underneath and EC missed wide open 3).

If I had to pick an area of improvement, I’d like to see more inside out passing from Berry or Langevine. Granted, they had a huge size advantage this game but that won’t always be the case and the lack of passing from the post is a big reason why the team struggled from 3. For example, that baby hook shot Berry took and missed, he had EC open for a 3. Maybe EC hits that shot and gets going from the perimeter.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When we start hitting our 3's.....that has been missing so far.....we will be rather tough to beat.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:
ramster wrote:To me Layssard looked like he belonged on the court. He only played 5 minutes but he hustled up the court, grabbed an impressive 4 rebounds in his short time, hit his FG attempt and went 1-2 on FTs for 3 points. In a 40 minute game that equates to 24 points and 32 rebounds :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately though, the two fouls scales up to 16 fouls per 40 minutes. :) Still, good to see him getting some run at all.
ha ha

But even with that Layssard wasn't the worst:

Tertsea 2 fouls in 2 minutes scales up to 40 fouls per 40 minutes :oops:
Akele 5 fouls in 5 minutes ALSO scales up to 40 fouls per 40 minutes and he fouled out of the game :oops:
Langevine 5 fouls in 15 minutes scales up to 13 fouls per 40 minutes and he also fouled out :oops:
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

URI2006_Andy wrote:Great defensive effort. Thought Garrett and Stan played with great energy off the bench. Garrett should’ve had at least 2 more assists (Preston travel underneath and EC missed wide open 3).

If I had to pick an area of improvement, I’d like to see more inside out passing from Berry or Langevine. Granted, they had a huge size advantage this game but that won’t always be the case and the lack of passing from the post is a big reason why the team struggled from 3. For example, that baby hook shot Berry took and missed, he had EC open for a 3. Maybe EC hits that shot and gets going from the perimeter.
Betting the lack of dish outs was by design. They knew there was no resistance in the paint and exploited it. They scored 52 in the paint.

To me the perimeter defense looked like they cranked the intensity to 11. EC, Garrett, Terrell, Fatts and Stan were flying. Even basic hand off passes had hands on them. It was impressive
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Foul fests will be the rule rather than the norm this season....it's what we do, with the way we play defense.

We will need that depth, especially on the road where we will get called for even more fouls.

As long as we can keep the defensive intensity up, we will be OK most of the time, imo anyway.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Great crowd, really solid win against a team that should be pretty good this season.

Also, much appreciation to Jarvis Garrett- we watched him sacrifice his body as a sophomore in a tough season. As of now, he’s lost his starting spot as a senior, but he’s still out there competing as hard as ever. The way this team is set up, the reserves are important. It’s a lot to manage but respect to guys like Jarvis who see the big picture.

"Amazing crowd. I’d like to thank all of our fans, our students. There was such a thrill for our guys. I think they saw the effect of winning and what last year did to our fan base. It was great to have that type of support. Everybody said once you win, they’ll show up like that. And they did." - Dan Hurley
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You could tell the players were excited by the crowd just looking at their faces pregame
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The big loud crowd was a big relief for me. I know it was a key indicator Coach Hurley was looking at for fan support.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Anybody know what the student attendance was? I'm guessing close to 2000.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Good point from Ace about Jarvis. Lot of respect for his handling of the transition to the bench.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Anybody know what the student attendance was? I'm guessing close to 2000.
I heard in the post game there were 1700
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Nice win against a good team. I'm worried about our ability to play against big teams. We are thin at the big man position. UNC was a small team.

Berry does something that is a lost art in the game. He moves well without the ball. He finds the open spot and has soft hands.

Its a nice win but our big's need to stay out of foul trouble in order for us to be successful against teams like Seton Hall and PC.

I'm still very worried about our lack of size.

Love the crowd size. I Hate to draw comparisons but our perimeter defense reminded me of Georgetown in the 80's There were stretches at the end of last year and this game where the opponent couldn't do anything against us in the half court set.

Fun to watch.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know some people were frustrated about the later/unset start time, but if you remember, the game was originally supposed to be played today. After they were able to schedule with Nevada, it made way more sense to travel today.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Btw If anybody is interested I have a copy of the game I can upload later on.
5 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Perimeter defense was suffocating and intimidating. I think it even intimidated the refs a bit.
It looked like they felt they had to control the game more because of the pressure. There were so many ticky tac
foul calls. I couldn't belive the constant in your face pressure for a full 40 minutes. 27 turnovers ? I could see why.
Hope they can keep up the same pressure all season long, if so no one will want to get on the court with these guys.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:Anybody know what the student attendance was? I'm guessing close to 2000.
DH was quoted as saying 1700 students showed up, I'm assuming that's an official number. Also, don't forget this is a holiday weekend so many students took off Thursday night or Friday after classes...just imagine when there's a game on a Friday in February and the "spirits" are flowing in the dorms pregame... Our student section will actually be a REAL ruckus!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote:Perimeter defense was suffocating and intimidating. I think it even intimidated the refs a bit.
It looked like they felt they had to control the game more because of the pressure. There were so many ticky tac
foul calls. I couldn't belive the constant in your face pressure for a full 40 minutes. 27 turnovers ? I could see why.
Hope they can keep up the same pressure all season long, if so no one will want to get on the court with these guys.
And the depth of our team enables the relentless pressure. Depth with the guards and quality guardsu - Terrell, Mathews, Garrett, Dowtin, Robinson and Russell would ALL be starting for any A10 Team, even Dayton and VCU.

Kind of reminds of the Shaka Smart defense at VCU a few years ago
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Wow, great game performance, (annoying refs tho!). I see many people already covered alot of stuff but i thought i'd mentioned a couple things that stuck out to me.

Dowtin's shot looked way better then ever . Much better arch compared to his sorta linedrivey shot of last year. It looks to me like he reigned in the deliberate elbow bend while still keeping his above-the-head release. JD was skilled enough to make shots even with an imo not optimal shooting mechanics. He could have a chance to be that consistent shooter the team has been lacking the past few years?

SR rightly getting a ton of love for his performance. Once again i felt like his shot looked great and has been since at least conference play last year. E.C and JT generally take more 3s but i think in the future Stanford should be encouraged to throw more up as his stroke looks noticeably better to me and i think numbers bear this out also.

Half time Adjustment? I noticed 5-6 times n the first half our guards just totally missed a big man wide open near the basket(Usually it was Cyril). Often after they came up to set a screen. The second half the team was clearly on he lookout for guys alone or in mismatches down low and we hit this weakness in the UCA D pretty hard.

Ok, now for a couple of negatives sine we always need something to improve on.

Dowtin lost his man a few times on D during the first half. The first two UCA 3s were a direct result of this.( the blocked dunk late in the first was also a result of Dowtin being out of position.). I noticed SR directing JD a time or two getting back on D later in the first so i'm guessing i was not the only person to notice these.

I wasn't paying as much attention in the second half but it did seem like JG and some other guards were also prone to over rotating and leaving shooters way open. The funny thing is they actually punished us on these pretty darn well by seemingly making every open shot, yet still we won by 25!

Honestly given it was the first game of the year. Plus, all the turnovers probably made them a bit overeager? The amount of switching on D, combined with Hurley sending guys in and out seemingly every other play stoppage it actually pretty impressive it was not far worse.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

rhodysurf wrote:Btw If anybody is interested I have a copy of the game I can upload later on.

By all means. Let her rip
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Alrighty.. If anyone is interested I have uploaded a rip of the stream to youtube below

There is no audio because there was no audio on the stream. Hopefully there is some for the next one!

5 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

rhodysurf wrote:Alrighty.. If anyone is interested I have uploaded a rip of the stream to youtube below

There is no audio because there was no audio on the stream. Hopefully there is some for the next one!

Can you do the same for the Nevada game?
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:Foul fests will be the rule rather than the norm this season....it's what we do, with the way we play defense.

We will need that depth, especially on the road where we will get called for even more fouls.

As long as we can keep the defensive intensity up, we will be OK most of the time, imo anyway.
The problem with the foul fest is too many FTs. UNCA took 32 FTs (only hit 18). Rhody had 31 fouls. You can’t do that against good teams and win.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This Nevada game is going to be a good stiff test. Hope we are up to the challenge
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

RFORTE wrote:
Can you do the same for the Nevada game?
The Nevada game is on WatchESPN so i probably wont because thats accessible after the game itself streams.

I will try and do the other atlantic ten network games for sure
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Good win against a quality team. Robinson, Berry and Dowtin were the stars of the game. Robinson has always been a defensive meance, but now he's scoring too. Berry has some nice moves including a nifty drop step and catches and finishes. Dowtin really plays older than he is, controls the game and the offense looks some much more fluid with him in there.

The high-low passing was great to see especially from Fatts. He needs to work on not taking so many off-balance shots. Him and EC seem to make jump shots harder by falling away when it wasn't needed. EC seemed to revert back to pre 1:00 Davidson EC. Maybe playing without the knee brace was on his mind or simply in game rust.

Nevada is going to be tough. Their NCAA team improved from last year and a road game especially 2,500+ miles is never easy.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Terrell's defense was unbelievable........The three different guys he covered could not turn the corner. Disrupted most of their offensive sets.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree on Terrell, he looked very comfortable out there. Should have a great senior season.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I know people were wondering about the line on the UNC Asheville game and couldn't find one. I was digging into the ESPN Pickcenter details for the Holy Cross game and saw the last 10 results for URI and a line was there for UNC Asheville.

It has to be a typo here but in what universe or dimension would URI be 2-point home dogs to UNC Asheville???
Attachments
UNCA Line.jpg
UNCA Line.jpg (43.28 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
0 x