11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of North Carolina - Asheville at University of Rhode Island (NIT Season Tip-Off)
Thomas M. Ryan Center - Kingston, RI
Friday, November 10, 2017
7:30PM

Media

TV/Streaming:
A10 Network (http://www.atlantic10.com/liveEvents/li ... M_ID=31600)

Radio:
101.5 AM

Previews:
Projo: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ason-opens
Independent: http://www.independentri.com/independen ... cd0d0.html
gorhody: http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1108sdc03c
Rhody Rampage: https://rhodyrampage.com/2017/09/02/rho ... -bulldogs/
Asheville Fan on keaneyblue.com: http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7126#p335995

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:
0-0, 0-0 in Big South
Road: 0-0
Last season: 23-10, 15-3 in Big South

Rankings:
RPI: 75 (final 2017)
BPI: 94 (final 2017)
KenPom: 102

Leaders (returning from 2016-17):
Points - Ahmad Thomas, 18.0
Rebounds - Ahmad Thomas, 6.6
Assists - Vannatta, 3.3

Roster:

Preview

When URI opens its season at home against UNC - Asheville, it will be playing for the first time under the A-10 Champion and NCAA Tournament banners it earned during the 2016-17 season (ceremony or no ceremony). There will be no cupcake tune-up game for the Rams as they start their quest to add to the Ryan's rafter decor: the UNCA squad visiting the Ryan on Friday is the defending Big South regular season winner and are heavy favorites to win the conference again.

The Bulldogs are led by their two returning all-Big South first team players: Senior guard Ahmad Thomas and reigning Big South Freshman of the Year guard MaCio Teague. Other returning contributors include guards Kevin Vannatta and all-name team candidate Raekwon (the Chef?) Miller, and forward Alec Wnuk. UNCA did lose a couple of key players from last season's 23 win team in David Robertson and Will Weeks, but have added College of Charleston transfer Donovan Gilmore, who will play a significant role.

Last season, UNCA averaged 77.1 points per game (85th) and gave up 68.5 (79th), good for 119th in adjusted offensive efficiency and 122nd in adjusted defensive efficiency per KenPom. By comparison, URI scored 73.6 (165th) and gave up 65.4 (33rd) with adjusted efficiency rankings of 57th and 30th, respectively. In other words, for whatever last year is worth for these two teams with a lot of returning players, statistically URI should be in good position to open its season with a quality win against a solid team. However, when you're facing a team with two players of the caliber of Teague and Thomas, especially on opening night, anything can happen. Traditionally, URI has done an excellent job of taking away what the opposing team wants to do, and I'd consider an effort to limit at least one of those two guys a key focus for Rhody. If they can do that successfully, I like URI to take care of business here.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/10 | UNC Asheville Bulldogs | 7:30PM (NIT Season Tip-Off)

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't believe there is actually a real game in 5 days. FINALLY!
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UNC Asheville lost by 18 to East Tenn State in scrimmage.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still on taking much from scrimmages.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Scrimmages are more or less meaningless. They're good for the teams to get some live reps but they're just glorified practices.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NC88
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NC88 »

Hey guy's, another UNC Asheville alum here. Really excited for the game Friday. UNCA Alum put pretty much everything on the previous thread that you need to know about us. I wouldn't take too much stock into the scrimmage against ETSU. We beat them recently with the same core players.

I'm biased, but I will say we are a pretty talented team. As stated in the other thread, Thomas, Vannatta and Teague lead us. Thomas is talented enough to be an POY top candidate in the A10. He's really good. Teague was also named one of the top 25 best sophomores in the country by ESPN, and is a phenomenal scorer, and a draft prospect. Vannatta is kind of our glue guy and can score and defend. Miller is a streaky, but good shooter. We were the #1 3pt shooting team in the Big South last year in terms of percentage. Rebounding is a concern for us going in, but Gilmore, a transfer from College of Charleston, is now eligible, and he's a really good athlete. He's listed at 6'7", but in person seems taller and is has a strong build. Wnuk (6'7") and Gilmore likely will be competing for minutes, and McDevitt trusts Wnuk too. Belhre (6'9"), will likely be in there as well.

I haven't watched y'all play much, but I know y'all are really good and a really exciting team. I wish we would have done a charity benefit game as well. Both teams have 2 of the top non-P5 coaches in the game. I'm really looking forward to seeing you guy's play! I just hope we're ready. Wish I would have taken off of work and made the drive.

UNCA Alum & Truepoint mentioned most of the facts about us, but here are a few more:

-We go by UNC Asheville or UNCA, but not NC-Asheville as some people call us.
-School Size: 3,800
-Conference Rival: Winthrop
-Non-Conference Rival: Western Carolina
-Home Court: Kimmel Arena (Built in 2011)
-NCAA Tourney Appearances: (2003), (2011), (2012) & (2016)

That's about it. Can't wait for the game!
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Game will be streamed on the A-10 website.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Looks like 800-1,000 seats still available. Not sure how they account for student seating but all the students seats in 301 are showing taken. Hopefully the students take up some of the seats around the corner in the 300s. Not sure what walk up ticket sales is typically.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:Looks like 800-1,000 seats still available. Not sure how they account for student seating but all the students seats in 301 are showing taken. Hopefully the students take up some of the seats around the corner in the 300s. Not sure what walk up ticket sales is typically.
Don't go by the green dots. All of those in the back of sections aren't sold. They don't release them until the fronts of sections start selling. I think there's 2500-3000 available, and that's not counting student sections.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We need at least 6k with 1k of them students. Anything less is a disappointing welcome for the A10 champs.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There are 3 home games in December as part of the 5 game mini-plan. If you look at the Charleston game on Dec. 16th, sales for that game are already pretty good. I think a lot of fans have opted to spend their money on the plan, which is good, but the negative being a lot aren't buying opening night. At least that's what my consumer behavior background is telling me.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last year we set the Ryan Center record for opening night attendance with 6052. That was against Dartmouth on a Friday night. We absolutely need to have more than that. Same day, so Friday night shouldn't hurt, free women's game, banners, better opponent. No excuses, if we get less than 6052 that's a huge black mark on our fanbase.

I will say I remember students streaming in opening night and I seem to remember them going over their 1500 allotment. We'll need that again
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Billyboy, my wife, daughter and I got the Mini plan, but we also bought the opener and the Dayton game separately. So buying the mini plan didn't stop us from buying the opener. We can't wait until December to see live action. We gotta have it now ! I'll bet there are plenty other fans like us who will be there too Friday. Can't wait to hit the road at 4:30am Friday morning from south Jersey. Sellout home opener ? I think maybe.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

luke wrote:Billyboy, my wife, daughter and I got the Mini plan, but we also bought the opener and the Dayton game separately. So buying the mini plan didn't stop us from buying the opener. We can't wait until December to see live action. We gotta have it now ! I'll bet there are plenty other fans like us who will be there too Friday. Can't wait to hit the road at 4:30am Friday morning from south Jersey. Sellout home opener ? I think maybe.
I did the same thing. But we are hard core fans who can't wait to get the season started. The casual fan who wants to see a few games are the ones who opted for the mini-plan, in my opinion, and are not as interested in opening night. Supposedly there was a record number of mini-plans sold this year, so that's a good thing. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see the place almost full on Friday.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Looks like 800-1,000 seats still available. Not sure how they account for student seating but all the students seats in 301 are showing taken. Hopefully the students take up some of the seats around the corner in the 300s. Not sure what walk up ticket sales is typically.
Don't go by the green dots. All of those in the back of sections aren't sold. They don't release them until the fronts of sections start selling. I think there's 2500-3000 available, and that's not counting student sections.
I believe your number is way too high. I a assuming the student sections will be filled. I went back and included all the rows behind the green dots in my estimste and come up with 1,300-1,500 seats available. My experience has been the students are allowed to overflow around the coners in the 300s (like section 303 & 304) which would take up some of the seats I included as available. I think the crowd will be over 6,000 if there is a good student showing.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am thinking we get close to 6200 there on Friday night
2 x
UNCA Alum
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UNCA Alum »

There have been issues in the past where students cannot get free tickets for "tournament" games hosted on campus. Hopefully that's not the case with the NIT and students can get in for free on Friday night.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

UNCA Alum wrote:There have been issues in the past where students cannot get free tickets for "tournament" games hosted on campus. Hopefully that's not the case with the NIT and students can get in for free on Friday night.
This is a good point I hadn't considered.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is a URI home game. The ticket are part of the season ticket package. The price is the same etc. Student sections have been blocked from purchasing by the general public.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just received my mini plan and single game tickets today. Good thing because they include my tickets for Friday.

Nice letter in the package. Promotes giving your tickets away if you aren’t using them for any game and provides the url to donate them to a non-profit ticket transfer program thru URI. gorhody.com/tickets/away_tickets/MBB_away
1 x
UNCA Alum
Frenchy Tomlin

KenPom has you guys winning 78-69.
0 x
UNCA Alum
Frenchy Tomlin

KevanBoyles wrote:Game will be streamed on the A-10 website.
Do yall have to pay for streaming conference games as well? Big South Network is free, but they obviously do not show away games. Pretty clutch app on Roku and I love not having to pay for it!

Per our board, we had to pay $10 to stream the VCU game last year and only $7 on Friday night so at least the price is going down!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It depends who the carrier is, one thing I will say is that you shouldn't expect a great streaming product when it comes to us. We seem to be behind advanced teenagers when it comes to streaming video.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Last year It cost me about $40 to stream approximately 10 games on the Atlantic 10 network.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Just received my mini plan and single game tickets today. Good thing because they include my tickets for Friday.

Nice letter in the package. Promotes giving your tickets away if you aren’t using them for any game and provides the url to donate them to a non-profit ticket transfer program thru URI. gorhody.com/tickets/away_tickets/MBB_away
Did the mini-plan and the UNCA tix all come in the same envelope? I got all of my 8 mini-plan games in the mail today, but I still haven't got Friday's ticket yet. I figured it would be the other way around since the first mini-plan game is Dec. 2nd.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I'm very excited for opening night.....this is definitely a good team we are playing. I know coach will have them ready!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Just received my mini plan and single game tickets today. Good thing because they include my tickets for Friday.

Did the mini-plan and the UNCA tix all come in the same envelope? I got all of my 8 mini-plan games in the mail today, but I still haven't got Friday's ticket yet. I figured it would be the other way around since the first mini-plan game is Dec. 2nd.
It was one mailing envelope with two ticket envelope inside (one with mini plan tix & one with single game tix). I called when I bought the single game tickets and he told me they would put both sets of tickets together. You should probably call them if you havent received your Friday tickets.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

It was one mailing envelope with two ticket envelope inside (one with mini plan tix & one with single game tix). I called when I bought the single game tickets and he told me they would put both sets of tickets together. You should probably call them if you havent received your Friday tickets.
Yeah I would call. I still haven't received my season tickets. I called and they emailed me the pdf of the first 3 games and said they will let me know if the season tickets get sent back to them.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Ticket for Opening night received today!!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1107jarypy

I need to invest in a small bag to bring to games so that the security guards at the front door aren't asking me to open up my wallet that's inside my bag. You guys have it so easy.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

".... we would like to reiterate that the bag policy for the Ryan Center has not changed for the 2017-18 season."

What about the pocket pub policy? Any change there?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......metal detection wands......I see choke point delays at the main RC entrance with some parking moved to Plains Rd lot(no Keaney lot parking?). On “big games” the students entry how many wand stations?.....I think some adjustments will be made as the season unfolds.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PertinentThriftyJackrabbit-max-1mb.gif
PertinentThriftyJackrabbit-max-1mb.gif (474.44 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sounds like it's going to be really bad. If all parking is moved to Plains Rd. then the student entrance should be moved to the South side of the building, seeing as most dorms can walk through that way anyway and their parking is there. Wands are much slower than walk through detectors. Are we not having walk through detectors because of lobby size or we don't want to pay the cost? Definitely seems like no matter what the North lobby should be expanded.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Public service announcement

Just walked up at RC got 2 tix s 305 row C

Plenty left come get yours!!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Sounds like it's going to be really bad. If all parking is moved to Plains Rd. then the student entrance should be moved to the South side of the building, seeing as most dorms can walk through that way anyway and their parking is there. Wands are much slower than walk through detectors. Are we not having walk through detectors because of lobby size or we don't want to pay the cost? Definitely seems like no matter what the North lobby should be expanded.
Pretty sure it's the overall size of the lobby. If actual walk-through detectors were installed. It would be SO much quicker that way, though.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote:Public service announcement

That's not good.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

This sounds like its going to be a very difficult game. Anytime you face a team like this early in the season. We are a veteran team at home so we should win. Ill be interested in what the line is.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Have 2 tickets for Friday's game to the first responder. If no one responds by Thursday AM, I will donate through the ticket office.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Wish I had seen this @ram67

Folks Ram67 seats are outstanding don’t pass this up!!!!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:Public service announcement

That's not good.
Thus the cheerleading BAR!!!
We need a strong turnout for our opener!!!!!

My tix were $25 ea btw....
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I have two tickets in 203 for Friday if anyone wants them! PM Me

Everyone I go with (myself included) is out of town this weekend unfortunately
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

A KB member has already contacted me for the tickets.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dan undecided on Stan for Friday

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if the SKPD will take advantage of this offer...... http://theryancenter.fan-one.com/nl/jsp ... 5ad19ccef2
0 x
NC88
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NC88 »

Thanks for the info on the A-10 Network you guy's! I'll be watching from home. Hoping we are ready. Does Coach Hurley's show have a podcast archive? Coach McDevitt's show was on Monday, but I didn't have a chance to tune in. Would love to check Hurley's show out before the game, if there is a podcast. I'm really interested to hear which of your bigs get the majority of playing time. Really hope we step it up rebounding wise, because I know y'all are a really good rebounding team.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes. See the coach’s show thread.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NC88 wrote:Thanks for the info on the A-10 Network you guy's! I'll be watching from home. Hoping we are ready. Does Coach Hurley's show have a podcast archive? Coach McDevitt's show was on Monday, but I didn't have a chance to tune in. Would love to check Hurley's show out before the game, if there is a podcast. I'm really interested to hear which of your bigs get the majority of playing time. Really hope we step it up rebounding wise, because I know y'all are a really good rebounding team.
Outside of Langevine.....same here!
2 x
NC88
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NC88 »

Cool, I'll check it out!
0 x