Banner Unveil

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Martyf250
Abdul Fox

Banner Unveil

Unread postby Martyf250 » 1 month ago

Anyone hear anything about a banner unveiling, etc before the UNC game Nov. 10?
1 x

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Re: Banner Unveil

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 1 month ago

I'd call it the Banner Raising. Season tix holder party had the unveil. :)
1 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 1 month ago

Time?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 weeks ago

Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?
6 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

GansettSummer
Michael Andersen

Unread postby GansettSummer » 2 weeks ago

Rhodymob05 wrote:Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?

Maybe but remember they were already unveiled and had pictures taken from the full season ticket holder event. I doubt at this point they do another unveil next week.
0 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 weeks ago

Rhodymob05 wrote:Looks great, but showing pictures prior to the season opener is a little anti-climatic don't you think?

We are hilariously bad at this type of thing.
2 x

NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 weeks ago

TruePoint wrote:

We are hilariously bad at this type of thing.

Not enough practice?
2 x

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 2 weeks ago

There won’t be any distracting ceremony on opening night. They still should have teased the crap out of this to get more fans in the seats. No need to show it now.
1 x

bigappleram
Sly Williams

Unread postby bigappleram » 2 weeks ago

Yet another missed marketing opportunity. shocker
3 x

Rhode_Island_Red
ARD

Unread postby Rhode_Island_Red » 2 weeks ago

Seriously????

It's been 18 years since we've had any kind of championship, and they don't raise the banner for the first time on opening night???? Typical URI.
3 x

Blue Man
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Blue Man » 2 weeks ago

In most situations, banners are usually hung and then "re-hung" or "unveiled" in a ceremony on opening night.

I don't have any inside information on this, but I would assume that would be the case. At least I hope it would. Agreed that it would be kinda lame to just do a mid-Friday internet post of it, so I would figure for some sort of unveiling next week.
0 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

bigappleram
Sly Williams

Should bring back Kuran, a fan favorite who is in the area, and have him and some of the seniors do the unveil before opening tip.
Easy way to get fans excited and keep linkage to previous players. Something we also don't do too well.
1 x

theblueram
Carlton Owens

Unread postby theblueram » 2 weeks ago

UNC did their National Championship banner during Late Night Madness.

https://scout.com/college/north-carolin ... -108809959
0 x

Iggy1979
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Iggy1979 » 2 weeks ago

I would also introduce the lineup every home game with "And for the Atlantic 10 champions, University of Rhode Island ...."
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."

NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens

That sounds great, maybe until the first game is tipped, but...it's new teams and a new championship every year. I don't really see college teams as 'defending champs' because of the (required) transitory nature of rosters. But, if we could type multiple pages about how to handle naming the game threads...should probably be able to squeeze out a page or two at least on intros...right? :-)
0 x

bigappleram
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote:I would also introduce the lineup every home game with "And for the Atlantic 10 champions, University of Rhode Island ...."

Agree. Engendering pride in the program and school is what good marketing can do, and URI doesn't do enough. That's an easy way, amongst others, to position URI as big time.
0 x

Rhody83
ARD

Unread postby Rhody83 » 2 weeks ago

I don’t think there will be any ceremony on Nov 10th. Women play at 5:00 and Men’s game is at 7:30. Our great marketing strategy for opening night was to try to get prople to come early to watch part of the women’s game. We don’t even have to pay :)

Sounds much better than celebrating our second ever A10 Championship and first NCAA Tournament in 19 years :(
0 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

I wouldn't assume that just because the announced game time is 7:30 that it precludes them from doing something to honor last year's team. It isn't a law that the tip has to go up at 7:30, especially because this isn't a national TV game or anything. I would be surprised if there wasn't some acknowledgement, even if as ATP says they want to minimize distractions for the players.
0 x

neil
ARD

Unread postby neil » 2 weeks ago

Not happy at all! I refuse to believe their stupidity. Something will happen next Friday.
0 x

neil
ARD

Unread postby neil » 2 weeks ago

I think we should get a collection going to get hass a plane ticket.
0 x

ATPTourFan
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby ATPTourFan » 2 weeks ago

Don't get your hopes up for an opening night ceremony. Just enjoy seeing those new banners up high, where the shitty NIT ones were, when you arrive nice and early for the game next week.
0 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

I don't know what you mean by ceremony. But if they dont do anything, everyone in the athletic department should be fired. They don't need to make a whole thing with dignitaries and everything, but they have to acknowledge it. Even as part of the pregame intros or whatever, turn the lights down and light up the banners. But they'd be the first team in the history of sports to win a championship, put up a banner, and then not acknowledge it in some way.
1 x

Rhody83
ARD

Unread postby Rhody83 » 2 weeks ago

TruePoint wrote:I don't know what you mean by ceremony. But if they dont do anything, everyone in the athletic department should be fired. They don't need to make a whole thing with dignitaries and everything, but they have to acknowledge it. Even as part of the pregame intros or whatever, turn the lights down and light up the banners. But they'd be the first team in the history of sports to win a championship, put up a banner, and then not acknowledge it in some way.

Maybe the shine a light on it or make it part of a video prior to introductions.
I don’t think it will be anything separate like the unveiling of the banners.
Nothing you need to get there early for.
I hope they do something
0 x

jmck
Kenny Green

Unread postby jmck » 2 weeks ago

theblueram wrote:UNC did their National Championship banner during Late Night Madness.

https://scout.com/college/north-carolin ... -108809959

They needed to get it up as quickly as possible in case they are forced to take it down
4 x

Da_Process_Survivor
ARD

Unread postby Da_Process_Survivor » 2 weeks ago

Betting it's just a test of the fit and rigging for the new banners.

You know, measure twice cut once
0 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

section(105)
Carlton Owens

Unread postby section(105) » 2 weeks ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Betting it's just a test of the fit and rigging for the new banners.

You know, measure twice cut once

......of all the theories out there, I/ll go with this one....... how embaronising it would be :oops: to have a failed launch during the hoist......
0 x

section(105)
Carlton Owens

......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....
0 x

NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens

definitely ok with that....it's not like a pro team... new team, new championship every year, not really "defending"
1 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby ramster » 2 weeks ago

section(105) wrote:......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....

you heard correctly. That is behind us he said, we already celebrated. Now focused on this season and Friday night's game. DH also commented about how Senior night can be a distraction but they needed to be focused on Friday night.
1 x

TruePoint
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote:
section(105) wrote:......if I heard Dan correctly the banners are in place, done......just on radio show.....he basically said the team has moved on.....

you heard correctly. That is behind us he said, we already celebrated. Now focused on this season and Friday night's game. DH also commented about how Senior night can be a distraction but they needed to be focused on Friday night.

This is 100% the approach that the team should take. It is, however, asinine and indefensibly stupid for the game operations people and promotions people to not work some acknowledgement of the banners/accomplishments into the pregame. The team doesn't have to be involved, that is their prerogative and I totally agree with that. What I don't agree with is that decision having anything to do with game ops. The two things have nothing to do with each other.
3 x

section(105)
Carlton Owens

.....TP; maybe Buckets will work some unscripted stuff into his opening.....
0 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley

Unread postby Billyboy78 » 2 weeks ago

They could have done it at halftime, or before the game when the team was still in the locker room......for the fans. I know I would have enjoyed the hell out of it.
1 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 weeks ago

I don't necessarily mind that they're not doing something before the game if they feel it will be a distraction. That said, I'm pissed off that the only real unveiling was as an unannounced part of the season ticket holder night. If you were having it that night it should have been announced. Or have it as the foundation for Rhody Madness. Too late now, but really botched execution.
2 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

section(105)
Carlton Owens

......before we go off on the absence of anything happening here, can we wait Friday nite to see actually does or does not happen......we have not had a lot of experience with this sorta thing in a while....
1 x

RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 weeks ago

They've posted the banners up in the rafters and they said on the coach's show there will be no ceremony. What more do you need?
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

adam914
Tyson Wheeler

Unread postby adam914 » 2 weeks ago

0 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

section(105)
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote:They've posted the banners up in the rafters and they said on the coach's show there will be no ceremony. What more do you need?

Me nothing, for those not at the season tix event, I can see some feeling sorta empty.......
0 x

Rhodymob05
Carlton Owens

Unread postby Rhodymob05 » 2 weeks ago

Well it’s a humble approach I guess.
0 x
RHODE ISLAND RAMS 2017 A10 CHAMPS

reef
Carlton Owens

Unread postby reef » 2 weeks ago

They did a lot of celebrations for last years team . Now we are on to this years team time to focus
0 x

Ramulous
Cuttino Mobley

Unread postby Ramulous » 2 weeks ago

I was more excited to see Hass coming down the escalator at Green Airport carrying the championship trophy...beats a banner raising every day...
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar and Boxworth!

Rhode_Island_Red
ARD

Unread postby Rhode_Island_Red » 1 week ago

adam914 wrote:https://twitter.com/BillKoch25/status/928039406619054081

It's only for the people paying for all this, that's all ...
0 x

Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”