Exhibition vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Scrimmage for hurricane charity

Unread post by ramster »

Yes,
Clark will be eligible to play in December for Buffalo and should go right into the starting line up.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14970
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote:
Now that is awesome!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Clark is 1 of the many examples of the errors in high school recruiting rankings.
Even on tape as high school players it baffled me why EC was ranked lower than Clark, even though EC was clearly Romulus' best player.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:Anyone remember Wes Clark? He played for Nate Oats at Romulus with EC. Clark was generally considered the better of the two by recruiting rankings but had a rough few years at Missouri. It was never completely clear if he quit, was kicked off the team, or something in between. In any case, he’s back with Nate at Buffalo now.
Aren't he and EC related somehow?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

This is great news.. Looking forward to it.

This must be tricky for the coaches. You don't want to run any set plays, you don't want to play your starters any kind of significant minutes, but you also don't want to lose!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RoadyJay wrote:This is great news.. Looking forward to it.

This must be tricky for the coaches. You don't want to run any set plays, you don't want to play your starters any kind of significant minutes, but you also don't want to lose!
As soon as I saw this news I thought "DO NOT PLAY EC".
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Scrimmage vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Good opportunity to see extended minutes for Fatts, Preston, Tertsea and Layssard.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'd rather just do a fundraising drive to generate the same $ for red cross than put players unnecessarily at risk.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Are they really at an extra risk as opposed to a secret scrimmage though?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea should prepare the team well for the reg season
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'd rather just do a fundraising drive to generate the same $ for red cross than put players unnecessarily at risk.
PC is playing 3 exhibition games
UConn
Carleton University
Baruch

We have / secret scrimmage and now Buffalo
None of these are secret scrimmages
Plus we are playing only 29 games vs 31 allowed

Can’t play scared of injuries

I’d prefer we play some exhibition games like we used to in the past and see what Layssard, Tertsea, Preston, Berry and others have improved on
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pre-season can get monotonous now that they start it even earlier. I like the idea* of a scrimmage for a good cause to mix things up a bit. Injuries can happen anytime, and they’re probably going just as hard in practice right now as they will in this game. It’s a quality thing these teams are trying to do, and I think it’s good to have URI’s name associated with it.

*I reserve the right to change this opinion if a player gets even so much as a hangnail from this game.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'd rather just do a fundraising drive to generate the same $ for red cross than put players unnecessarily at risk.
They were going to play two scrimmages regardless. The only difference is this one is now open to the public.

Rhody has tough games early in their schedule this year. They can use the scrimmages.
A player is just as likely to get hurt in practice.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

If the preseason NIT is only 3 games, then the max is 30 not 31
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Preseason NIT is 3 games because we (URI) turned down the option for the 4th game because of the timing of the games. Mike Laprey explained that. All other Preseason NIT Teams are playing 4 games. Was out choice. All the more reason to have scheduled that 30th game, and if not for sure do the scrimmages.
Also PC plays the Mal Brown Scrimmage in addition to the 3 exhibition games.
Kentucky is playing their annual Blue - White Scrimmage open to the fans.

Maybe it's because we played the 10 practices in the summer,associated with the Bahamas games, that staff thought they had seen enough of the players skills. I'd still l like to max out exhibition games and play the full 31 games allowed
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Being scared of injuries is dumb. They can happen at any point in time. If not a game, practice. This isn’t football where you’re hitting during a game. Basketball injuries are freak things, they could happen walking down a hill just as likely as they could on the court.

You want this team as prepared as possible.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:If the preseason NIT is only 3 games, then the max is 30 not 31

How many games are there for the teams in the NIT Tip Off Tournament?

There are three answers to that question for the nine 2017 tournament teams.

Four games:
Virginia (MU, APU, vsVU, vsURI/SHU)
Vanderbilt (APU, UNA, vsUVA, vsURI/SHU
Seton Hall (MU, FDU, vsURI, vsUVA/VU)
Austin Peay (@VU, @UVA, UNCA, OC)
UNC-Asheville (@URI, @VU, @APU, MU)

Three games:
Rhode Island (UNCA, vsSHU, vsUVA/VU)
Monmouth (@UVA, @SHU, @UNCA)

One game:
FDU (@SHU)
Oakland City (@APU)

The normal prototypical format for this tournament is eight D1 teams with each playing four games. The tournament has however had many problems filling out the field in recent years and gotten more creative out of necessity.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any live stream for this next weekend?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good idea by Rhody marketing to get students to attend the scrimmage.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, this is not a scrimmage? This is an exhibition game with refs, timed halves, etc.?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Exhibition vs Buffalo for hurricane charity

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Although Projo hinted at there being some difference than a real game.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Here's a link to URI's press release:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1020hyreo6

As Iggy said, it won't be exactly like a real game. "The Rams and Bulls will play a regulation 40-minute game with some rules modified in the spirit of an exhibition." Maybe no fouling out for players?

Also, it looks like we haven't scheduled anyone else for a secret scrimmage yet besides Harvard. The waiver was granted because Buffalo was already at their limit.

The press release also says "limited concessions". Obviously not sure what that means, but I think it's safe to say no Rhody Pub.

If you wanted to donate to the cause you can go to the following link: http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... =&appCode=
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Went to the PC-UConn game last night. It played exactly like a real game; didn't see any differences. Players did foul out.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The PC/UConn exhibition drew over 6000 fans. I wonder how many we'll get?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The PC/UConn exhibition drew over 6000 fans. I wonder how many we'll get?

That is a good crowd with short planning for a meaningless exhibition. 75K for charity is nice. It didn't however come close to challenging the fact that URI has been part of the the bill for three of the four biggest Mohegan Sun college basketball crowds.

The enthusiasm for this game also did not live up to the "supposed" demand for continuing the series for games between PC and UConn. You want to see demand for a series manifested in a charity exhibition game - look no further than Kansas-Missouri which played in KC last Sunday drawing a sellout of 19,000 and raising 1.75M for charity through ticket sales and $40 pay per view fees.

While some local media members may constantly try to hype the PC-UConn series as some big long time rivalry, the facts just don't support that. The two teams have now met for 73 games. Each team is the other's 7th most played opponent as they have very little common history outside their time together as old Big East members. Ironically, URI is the most played opponent for both UConn and PC.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Hoping to make it....if I do I'll try to get a few Nikon pics on Instagram.

Thanks for the info here!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We won't get half of PC/UCONN got.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:We won't get half of PC/UCONN got.

URI-Buffalo is not a game with two local teams. Only URI fans will be there. Given the game is meaningless and there is virtually ZERO common history (have only played each other twice before), I would not expect a big crowd. I will guess it will only attract in the range of 1-2k. An exhibition versus RIC would do better.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Would be surprised if it's fewer than 2000
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Do the students come to this? I know if I were a student, I'd be dying to see this team play. Then again, when I was a student, I remember peering through the window of the Keaney Gym doors to get a look at Gilson Dejesus at his first practice, so I'm a little different.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The PC/UConn exhibition drew over 6000 fans. I wonder how many we'll get?

That is a good crowd with short planning for a meaningless exhibition. 75K for charity is nice. It didn't however come close to challenging the fact that URI has been part of the the bill for three of the four biggest Mohegan Sun college basketball crowds.

The enthusiasm for this game also did not live up to the "supposed" demand for continuing the series for games between PC and UConn. You want to see demand for a series manifested in a charity exhibition game - look no further than Kansas-Missouri which played in KC last Sunday drawing a sellout of 19,000 and raising 1.75M for charity through ticket sales and $40 pay per view fees.

While some local media members may constantly try to hype the PC-UConn series as some big long time rivalry, the facts just don't support that. The two teams have now met for 73 games. Each team is the other's 7th most played opponent as they have very little common history outside their time together as old Big East members. Ironically, URI is the most played opponent for both UConn and PC.
I disagree with you. They didn’t say it was Kansas v Missouri demand. Kansas is probably top 4 all time in college basketball. Getting 6,000 fans to an exhibition game is a high level of interest. Who cares how many times PC played UCONN in 1950 & 1960. Two New England schools that were in the Big East for many years. If they played,the game would sellout at the Dunk or in Hartford.

Aldo tickets sold for $12, $25 & $50. I would guess they raised $120,000.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I heard some of PC-UConn on the radio and the announcers mentioned that this might be something that programs/NCAA should consider looking into every year...an exhibition game for a cause or causes, i.e., breast cancer, prostate cancer, other relief initiatives... Good way to generate funds for a cause, give coaches another opportunity to evaluate their teams without the win/loss pressure, spark fan interest, etc...
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I disagree with you. They didn’t say it was Kansas v Missouri demand. Kansas is probably top 4 all time in college basketball. Getting 6,000 fans to an exhibition game is a high level of interest. Who cares how many times PC played UCONN in 1950 & 1960. Two New England schools that were in the Big East for many years. If they played,the game would sellout at the Dunk or in Hartford.

Aldo tickets sold for $12, $25 & $50. I would guess they raised $120,000.

Your guess would seem wrong per the official PC tweet:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Would be surprised if it's fewer than 2000
Keep in mind that URI with presold season tickets last year drew in the 3k range for several real games.

I suspect we will not get an official attendance number for the Buffalo exhibition game. Unlike some other exhibition games, this is not a ticketed event where tickets can be scanned to get an accurate number. Admission is free with a suggested donation. As per the announcement about limited concessions for this game, I expect very limited staffing. This would impact the task of counting and tabulating the number of patrons.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not much hype going on with this game. I'm excited to see it that's for sure.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a Hurricane Relief exhibition played tonight, Liberty easily defeated VCU, 85-69. Bad loss for the A-10. Liberty is a member of the Big South Conference, same conference as UNC-Asheville, URI's opening season opponent. Blue Ribbon picked UNC-Asheville to win that conference. Liberty took the third place nod.

While VCU has had a long string of sellouts at the Siegal Center, this exhibition game drew 3,497. Unlike URI asking for a $10 donation for the general public, VCU had a general admission ticket price of $15. I would guess they raised about $50,000 for the charity.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hopefully, overall...there is less emphasis on the game and win/loss than there is on the charitable aspect of these games. I get that fans will be wound about it, but if they can keep these kinds of things firmly in the 'doesn't count' column, chances are better that there will be more of them and that fans will actually get to see their teams in action...a couple weeks before the season 'really' starts. Seems like it could be a win-win all around, until the 'non-wins' become a factor....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:In a Hurricane Relief exhibition played tonight, Liberty easily defeated VCU, 85-69. Bad loss for the A-10. Liberty is a member of the Big South Conference, same conference as UNC-Asheville, URI's opening season opponent. Blue Ribbon picked UNC-Asheville to win that conference. Liberty took the third place nod.

While VCU has had a long string of sellouts at the Siegal Center, this exhibition game drew 3,497. Unlike URI asking for a $10 donation for the general public, VCU had a general admission ticket price of $15. I would guess they raised about $50,000 for the charity.
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 0290f.html

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain't so VCU Rams !!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm not basing VCU off of an exhibition game.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm not basing VCU off of an exhibition game.
Yea exhibition games are pretty meaningless, hard to take much from them win or lose. I remember in the 09-10 season Syracuse lost to Le Moyne (D2 school) in an exhibition and went on to be a number one seed in the tournament that year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If we bring a check who is it payable to ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

yeah, just like some have posted, i don't look too much into the an exhibition loss, VCU lost to a D2 last year as well...

VCU senior guard Jonathan Williams, who finished with 11 points and five assists, said Thursday’s game was a like a repeat of what happened last year when the Rams dropped a preseason exhibition to Division II Queens University of Charlotte (N.C.).
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:In a Hurricane Relief exhibition played tonight, Liberty easily defeated VCU, 85-69. Bad loss for the A-10. Liberty is a member of the Big South Conference, same conference as UNC-Asheville, URI's opening season opponent. Blue Ribbon picked UNC-Asheville to win that conference. Liberty took the third place nod.

I would submit that there is no such thing as a "bad loss" in an exhibition game or a ("good win," for that matter). That's kind of the whole point. Maybe VCU will be down this year, maybe they'll need a little more time to hit their stride with a new coach and a lot of roster turnover. But I'll wait to make a judgment about that until they play a game that they're actually trying to win.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah VCU was fine after losing to Queens last year.
Just a little wake up call for them. Liberty ain't bad either.

Although, if we lose to Buffalo I can't say I won't be a little worried.
Definitely wouldn't want to participate in a angry Dan Hurley practice after that...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:If we bring a check who is it payable to ?
A check? Just flash those Bemjamins, homeboy!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Do you think they accept bitcoins or nah?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Not as easy to prove when deducting charitable contributions on your tax return.
0 x