Bill Koch taking Rhody questions, October 16, 2017

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Bill Koch taking Rhody questions, October 16, 2017

Unread post by Ramulous »

....on Twitter at 9 pm......
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: Bill Koch taking Rhody questions tonight....

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Healthy holt and pc wins? Without and uri has a chance?

:roll: :roll:
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Healthy holt and pc wins? Without and uri has a chance?

:roll: :roll:
I don't agree with him on that point but I think he's pretty much on point in his answers.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unfortunately I agree with him......providence is better than we are....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can somebody post the Q & A ???
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote:Unfortunately I agree with him......providence is better than we are....
I don't think he's giving the Ryan Center homecourt advantage enough credit. Two years ago they won at the buzzer when we had no EC and two years before that EC had a shot at the buzzer when we were still rebuilding.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

You don't need Twitter to read tweets. Bill Koch's many tweets can be read here: https://twitter.com/billkoch25
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:Unfortunately I agree with him......providence is better than we are....
I don't think he's giving the Ryan Center homecourt advantage enough credit. Two years ago they won at the buzzer when we had no EC and two years before that EC had a shot at the buzzer when we were still rebuilding.
This. It is a possession game every year.

Then it doesn't account for the fact that URI obviously grew last year at the end. Played its best ball with a broken Hassan Martin and Cyril playing heavy minutes. (essentially that team returns)

Bad take. The game is a push even with Holt. Throw in the fact that URI has to want it more. You cant lose your rivalry game forever.

Worse thing about it is that Koch basically sets it up that PC wins no matter what. Would have won with him. If they lose without him? Hey Bill Koch already said they would have won with Holt. Awful.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Bill has said before that he doesn't consider the Ryan Center a difficult place to play
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bill cmon.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Section104 wrote:Bill has said before that he doesn't consider the Ryan Center a difficult place to play
He said it's not a difficult place to play when there's under 6000 people. And he's right, there's not much of a homecourt advantage until you get to that number. That's not an issue for the PC game.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

To be fair Koch has said when fans don't show up The Ryan Center isn't a difficult place to play. That's not a false statement and I don't think that statement applies to the PC game either because it's always packed. The point is if every game was like the PC game we'd have an insane home court advantage.
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Is it December 2nd yet?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Dre3000 wrote:To be fair Koch has said when fans don't show up The Ryan Center isn't a difficult place to play. That's not a false statement and I don't think that statement applies to the PC game either because it's always packed. The point is if every game was like the PC game we'd have an insane home court advantage.
False. He said it's not a difficult place to play. Period.

0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

sorry here's Bill's tweet. The RhodyMBB tweet above replies to this tweet

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Isn't that a "No sh*t" comment though? Yea Gillette Stadium probably isn't a difficult place to play when the stands are half empty too, but his tweet there was very misleading. A packed Ryan Center is indeed a very tough place to play, which is obvious if you've been to a game.
0 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

His tweet doesn't mention whether it's half full, empty, or completely sold out. His comment, based on numerous years of watching URI basketball (PC games included) is that WITHOUT HESITATION the Ryan Center is NOT a difficult place to play.

That comment, in my opinion, is incorrect, which is also why the official URI Basketball twitter account called him out on it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I won't get into the exact wording and parsing of Koch's words. I will instead stick to my thoughts.

The Ryan Center can be a tough place for an opponent. It is however not always the case for every game. URI lost three conference games at home last year - UD, Lasalle, and Fordham. Two of these were to lower level teams. Rhody actually had a better league road record. A big engaged crowd of over 6k is needed to make the Ryan Center intimidating.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When the students were behind the opponents bench, it was a little tougher.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He always seems to be looking to take shots at Rhody fans, whether that's for attendance or not donating enough money, etc, etc.

Over the years he's had way more negative comments than positive comments in my opinion.
3 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote:I won't get into the exact wording and parsing of Koch's words. I will instead stick to my thoughts.

The Ryan Center can be a tough place for an opponent. It is however not always the case for every game. URI lost three conference games at home last year - UD, Lasalle, and Fordham. Two of these were to lower level teams. Rhody actually had a better league road record. A big engaged crowd of over 6k is needed to make the Ryan Center intimidating.
I don't think anyone, except Bill (based on his tweet), would argue that it can be a difficult place. That's not the argument. The argument started based on his URI/PC prediction and not taking into account the URI home court advantage. I stated that Bill does not consider the Ryan Center a difficult place to play and therefore doesn't factor it into the equation. He does not find it difficult and therefore picked PC with Holt or "coin flip" without.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote:He always seems to be looking to take shots at Rhody fans, whether that's for attendance or not donating enough money, etc, etc.

Over the years he's had way more negative comments than positive comments in my opinion.
He softened to an extent last year, but I agree with the above comment since BK went over to Projo. He goads the fan base at times, deliberately, and it's sophomoric IMO.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:He always seems to be looking to take shots at Rhody fans, whether that's for attendance or not donating enough money, etc, etc.

He softened to an extent last year, but I agree with the above comment since BK went over to Projo. He goads the fan base at times, deliberately, and it's sophomoric IMO.
I feel the same. I knew I was going to take the bait as soon as I read his tweet.

My thoughts: "OH IM TAKING THE BAIT."

He also responded to someone that the team wont fly more charter flights unless the guy asking the question pays for it.

For some reason I just disagree vehemently with many of his takes.

How can the unanimous A10 preseason #1 be a coin flip at home to beat a team that isn't even a top 20 team.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
bigappleram wrote:

I feel the same. I knew I was going to take the bait as soon as I read his tweet.

My thoughts: "OH IM TAKING THE BAIT."

He also responded to someone that the team wont fly more charter flights unless the guy asking the question pays for it.

For some reason I just disagree vehemently with many of his takes.

How can the unanimous A10 preseason #1 be a coin flip at home to beat a team that isn't even a top 20 team.
Yeah that opinion really surprised me.
Coin flip with or without Holt.
We happened to grow a pair, a BIG PAIR at that, since we last played them.
Wish Holt was playing, cause without him PC's chances just don't look so good to me.
8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would go so far as to say that he is trolling the fan base with his comments last night about the home court advantage and the Providence game. It's fine with me to tell tough truths but it's another thing to give answers you don't believe are true to goad your audience. He has a history of doing this, and the criticisms of the fan base and the program aren't always unfair but they do often seem gratuitous. I'm appreciative of the coverage that Bill provides but wish we could get it without all the condescension and belittling and trolling.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think Bill does a great job on RHody, but a comment like that makes URI looks bad, especially locally.
2 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the comment about the lack of homecourt advantage is meant as some sort of cattle prod to the fan base to make it better, but the problem with that is most of the people following a twitter conversation about URI hoops in mid-October are the kind of fans who are already showing up. So you're really just spitting in the face of your readers and undermining your own objective. The Providence game "analysis" is maybe just a bad basketball opinion that is revealing of some of the subconscious bias that we have to contend with in getting fair coverage. Or it could be a conscious troll job. Either way.
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Section104 wrote:sorry here's Bill's tweet. The RhodyMBB tweet above replies to this tweet

Sorry but there needs to be some context to this tweet. It was during the Dayton game at Dayton when they had over 12,000 fans in attendance. Our previous home game was St Joes @ URI which had 3880 people. In comparison which venue is harder to play?

Here's another tweet Koch has put out talking about the Ryan Center...

3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I've been to both a VCU and URI home game and it was pretty much equally as loud.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

VCU has a great home court atmosphere and big home court advantage. So does Dayton. SLU also has a big arena and draws well when they're decent. But I think there is a lot of ground between "not as good as VCU or Dayton" and "might as well be a road game" or whatever he said. It can be a tough place to play in comparison to many other teams' arenas but not as big of an advantage as the programs with the best home courts. And that is probably actually the right take, which is why i think Bill's statement was intended to be a little salty and provocative.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Peter says push.

Clear troll job.

Best home Court is saint joes and then go from there.

Saint Joseph’s and duke are a cut above in the home court ADVANTAGE.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He's done it multiple times, it's his thing. I find it amateur-ish to put it in terms acceptable for all audiences.
I don't get people saying "he does a great job covering URI" -- well yeah he's a journalist for the state paper, his job is to cover RI sports, we are the state university. It's his job. Paul Kenyon covered URI and didn't do it while being arrogant. He should go cover BU football...oh wait.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:He's done it multiple times, it's his thing. I find it amateur-ish to put it in terms acceptable for all audiences.
I don't get people saying "he does a great job covering URI" -- well yeah he's a journalist for the state paper, his job is to cover RI sports, we are the state university. It's his job. Paul Kenyon covered URI and didn't do it while being arrogant. He should go cover BU football...oh wait.
+1
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

He does a phenomenal job covering URI basketball. He's extremely dedicated and knowledgeable while doing it. We can all find something with everybody that we do like so sometimes you need to move past quickly things you don't agree with and focus on the positive traits. Hard to imagine there are much better or more informed beat writers out there the there then Bill.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This is a joke right? Define phenomenal? Disano brings much better insight and has half the access. Please with the phenomenal shit, he covers Rhody hoops. Great. It’s his job. This board scoops everything before him.
2 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

I'm just reading this back and have a few thoughts. I hope you'll indulge me. I'll share a beer with any of you at any time to discuss the program -- as it is my work, it is one of my passions.

Am I a bit harsh? Sure. I won't deny that. I'll never be the gentleman Paul Kenyon is and was while he covered URI. Few are. I hold him in the highest esteem and always will. He's one of the state's icons in this business. But I'm also not foolish enough to think I could copy his way or do some sort of cheap interpretation of his common touch. That's just not me.

I've come along at a great time to cover this team. I recognize that and am thankful for it. Dan Hurley is driving you to a place few could have imagined. The program -- its administration, its machinery, its head coach, its players -- are more uniquely positioned to succeed than at few times in its history. I'm excited for that, and so are my bosses. It's why I've pushed to cover all away games, beefed up recruiting, done more on social media, etc.

Exposure also comes with a downside. TruePoint alluded to what he called some harsh truths. He's not wrong. Some of them are harsh. What might be lost in my wording is my intent, and Blue Man has referenced it a few times. Have you come a long way? Hell yes. But do you still have a long way to go? Hell yes. There's always more to be done. I hope to highlight the current state of the conversation AND advance it. That's not easy to do in terms of tone, but I'm willing to try.

Other programs and teams are doing more by day to keep you down. What are you prepared to do? Ideally, I can highlight your achievements while also pointing out what your peers are doing to combat those. That includes program machinery, attendance, funding, administrative support, etc. All of those things are in play if/when you lose a tough game or a recruiting battle. They're all linked. They're all real. Ideally, you're able to build something that outlasts me, Dan Hurley and everyone else.

Shoot me an email to bkoch@providencejournal.com. Check in with me @BillKoch25. I welcome a spirited, informed, rational debate. I welcome your suggestions, criticisms, praise and anything else mutually. It's you I serve. It's you I hope to serve well. Thanks for reading.
9 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Bill,

You're doing fine. People are over-sensitive. Posters should try to be more journalistic. Like you, they can post an opinion but that opinion should be based on facts. Some people on here don't like facts thrown at them.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Putting aside that an endorsement from PMMM might be the least desirable thing on the internet, I appreciate Bill coming here and answering the bell. I don't have any issue with some reality being introduced to this fan base. God knows it needs it sometimes and I've felt the need to go there myself. My issue is with the tone and tenor of it, and what I perceive to be the condescension and the provocation.

I'm not asking Bill to be Baghdad Bob for URI hoops. There are reality checks that are warranted - for the good after a tough loss and for the bad after a season that delivers some long awaited joy - but there comes a point where it is absurdly contrarian. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it because I don't read KMac's PC coverage as closely as I read Bill's URI coverage, but it's hard for me to recall a time that he's been so dismissive or as critical of PC or its fans as Bill is with URI's.

I've had the pleasure of having a beer with Bill numerous times, and I unapologetically like him on a personal level and think he has a good grasp on where the program is and the challenges that it faces. I also believe, even if he thinks he can't say it himself, that he wants the program to do well. I just wish that would manifest itself differently than trying to take the fan base to task and knock it down a peg. I admit it's not his job to carry the program's water, but it might benefit from media coverage that accentuated the positives to coax increased fan and donor involvement rather than trying to shame people into it. If you're going to be hyberbolic, you could always do it in a way that embellishes rather than diminishes your subject. And look, I get called condescending here and tend default to a kind of acerbic style of communicating, so I get it. But I don't do this for a living and I don't have a large audience. I also try not to say anything that undermines the mission. If Bill doesn't think that's his responsibility as a journalist, fair enough. But if you don't want to be a propagandist, at least try not to do any harm either.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am confident we beat PC Dec 2 bring it on
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Thanks Bill for providing a mid-week distraction & entertainment.

TP nice post.

Some times Keaney Bluers like to dream. Maybe Rhody can have the best year ever, which would include winning a basketball game they're due to win.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bill Koch wrote:I'm just reading this back and have a few thoughts. I hope you'll indulge me. I'll share a beer with any of you at any time to discuss the program -- as it is my work, it is one of my passions.

Am I a bit harsh? Sure. I won't deny that. I'll never be the gentleman Paul Kenyon is and was while he covered URI. Few are. I hold him in the highest esteem and always will. He's one of the state's icons in this business. But I'm also not foolish enough to think I could copy his way or do some sort of cheap interpretation of his common touch. That's just not me.

I've come along at a great time to cover this team. I recognize that and am thankful for it. Dan Hurley is driving you to a place few could have imagined. The program -- its administration, its machinery, its head coach, its players -- are more uniquely positioned to succeed than at few times in its history. I'm excited for that, and so are my bosses. It's why I've pushed to cover all away games, beefed up recruiting, done more on social media, etc.

Exposure also comes with a downside. TruePoint alluded to what he called some harsh truths. He's not wrong. Some of them are harsh. What might be lost in my wording is my intent, and Blue Man has referenced it a few times. Have you come a long way? Hell yes. But do you still have a long way to go? Hell yes. There's always more to be done. I hope to highlight the current state of the conversation AND advance it. That's not easy to do in terms of tone, but I'm willing to try.

Other programs and teams are doing more by day to keep you down. What are you prepared to do? Ideally, I can highlight your achievements while also pointing out what your peers are doing to combat those. That includes program machinery, attendance, funding, administrative support, etc. All of those things are in play if/when you lose a tough game or a recruiting battle. They're all linked. They're all real. Ideally, you're able to build something that outlasts me, Dan Hurley and everyone else.

Shoot me an email to bkoch@providencejournal.com. Check in with me @BillKoch25. I welcome a spirited, informed, rational debate. I welcome your suggestions, criticisms, praise and anything else mutually. It's you I serve. It's you I hope to serve well. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate you coming here Bill. I have one suggestion regarding your Rams Journal in today's paper. You mentioned that A10 tourney tickets are on sale. But you failed to mention that URI's individual games are on sale starting today. You're pushing for better attendance. Every little bit of free publicity helps.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I appreciate BK coming on here to provide his take. Mine is simple, and has zero to do with any desire for Bill to be a homer or wear Keaney blue glasses and not tell it like it is. He is a good writer and can be an asset for the program and should have his own brand and POV, however from a purely business standpoint the tonality and demeanor he has used with some portion of his reading audience (URI basketball fans) is bad business. These are readers who want to engage with his content, but with the amount of access and media choice these days can and will opt not to if they aren't shown some level of respect from the author. There is proof from this thread that I am not the only one who reads his takes these ways at times, so if you are writing in the smallest state, with an already small sized audience moving away from your primary medium (print), why take every opportunity you have to poke and prod the very people who keep you in business? Doesn't seem like smart business to me, and in 2017 as a journalist you can't just write, you have to think about audience, channel, and delivery like an individual media entity.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Agree with BAR 100%
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If people think the Ryan Center has historically been a "tough" place to play they are delusional. Look at all the close games we lost over the years, big games where the opposing team hits shots at the end of games, etc. it has not been remotely "tough" since the student section was moved.
5 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Bill Koch taking Rhody questions, October 16, 2017

Unread post by luke »

Regarding whether The Ryan Center is a tough place to play, it has been mentioned by some how many close games have been
lost at the Ryan Center. I don't really think that is a measure of much. very often URI lost close games to teams that were just
better than them to the extent that probably the games would not have been close on a neutral court. I would say that in general
URI has done pretty well at home, but of course there are exceptions like Lasalle and Fordham last season. You might ask Dayton
fans whether they think the Ryan Center is a tough place to play. And i think an honest VCU or Davidson fan might feel the Ryan
Center is a tough place to play. When the home team is playing well and the fans are into it, The Ryan Center can be as loud and
as tough as anywhere. I have been to many games around the country including many at Dayton. It really depends on how good the
home team is at the time. One p[lace that I think is about the hardest place to play in the country is St. Joes and it has nothing to
do with the arena or fanbase. It is how the games are officiated. URI does not get that type of home court advantage, but then hardly
anyone gets that kind of advantage to the extent the Hawks get. I don't know why that is but I believe it surely exists no matter how
the Hawks team is playing.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Losses are losses. We need to shut up about PC until we beat them. And how can we consider the Ryan Center a tough place for opponents when it rarely sells out? Let’s hope that it all changes this year.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We need 1500-2000 students at most games while school is in session....we need 4500 other fans to join them....we need to be loud so that opponents and referees are somewhat intimidated....we need this for every game....not just Dayton and VCU
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not a fan of Koch.
He seems to carry Dan's water, with his
constant chiding us about attendance.
Nobody is asking for an embeded house man.
Just report the facts, and leave opinions out
of it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Bill Koch wrote:I'm just reading this back and have a few thoughts. I hope you'll indulge me. I'll share a beer with any of you at any time to discuss the program -- as it is my work, it is one of my passions.

Love him or hate him and majority really appreciates what he's doing from my experience, he is helping to move the ball forward which is what we all want. If Bill didn't love what he did, what kind of coverage and local press when we receive?

I thing I'll just note about attendance, I believe what's important is year over year growth. It's going to take years for a culture change where graduates were and are used to the basketball program being a big deal and used to them being competitive on a national level. Fan culture doesn't change overnight. We need to keep moving the ball forward and hopefully another significant attendence increase happens this year.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote: I thing I'll just note about attendance, I believe what's important is year over year growth. It's going to take years for a culture change where graduates were and are used to the basketball program being a big deal and used to them being competitive on a national level. Fan culture doesn't change overnight. We need to keep moving the ball forward and hopefully another significant attendence increase happens this year.
Totally agree with this. I think if people are all of a sudden expecting sell outs this season they are going to be pretty disappointed. It will take years of sustained success before we get to that point.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018