Something new... love from National recruiting scouts??!! Whoa!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Something new... love from National recruiting scouts??!! Whoa!

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Something that we as a forum have joked about for years, but recently have felt a bit discriminated against I feel is our perception from national recruiting scouts. I noticed from Friday to yesterday that much of that seem to change with us going five for five with our top recruits. Will this last? Will some of our commits see a rise in their rankings? Or a drop in their ranking? I for one hope that the likes of Adam Finkelstein, Bryan snow, Evan Daniels, etc. will put us in a positive light with other recruits going forward based on our success in the 2018 recruiting cycle.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Something new... love from National recruiting scouts??!! Whoa!

Unread post by RF1 »

Fans of our opponents are also taking notice. I have browsed several fan forums (UMass, VCU, SBU, SH, HC, GMU, Richmond) over the last few days. They acknowledge the success that Coach Hurley and staff had in getting these five commits. Many fans on these sites however do not give Hurley much credit. Some wrote he only got these recruits because of his name or because he plays the game (insinuated he cheats). Almost every thread included the suggestion that Hurley will soon leave Kingston. Some appear giddy about the prospect of the players never suiting up for Rhody. Some even suggested he told these guys on the side during their recruiting that they could follow him to his next gig.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RF1 wrote:Fans of our opponents are also taking notice. I have browsed several fan forums (UMass, VCU, SBU, SH, HC, GMU, Richmond) over the last few days. They acknowledge the success that Coach Hurley and staff had in getting these five commits. Many fans on these sites however do not give Hurley much credit. Some wrote he only got these recruits because of his name or because he plays the game (insinuated he cheats). Almost every thread included the suggestion that Hurley will soon leave Kingston. Some appear giddy about the prospect of the players never suiting up for Rhody. Some even suggested he told these guys on the side during their recruiting that they could follow him to his next gig.
And I thought WE were delusional.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

His name doesn't mean squat to the kids, maybe some of the coaches or handlers, but I doubt they are star struck by his family lineage. His attitude and personality are what define the program and bring kids in. RF1, let the jealousy and innuendo you read on the other boards inform you that our program has arrived! Get ready for a lot of trash coming at Rhody hoops from those that would aspire to be Rhody hoops. My dreams of replacing UConn as the power of northeast college hoops are happening...
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bizarre.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RF1 wrote:Fans of our opponents are also taking notice. I have browsed several fan forums (UMass, VCU, SBU, SH, HC, GMU, Richmond) over the last few days. They acknowledge the success that Coach Hurley and staff had in getting these five commits. Many fans on these sites however do not give Hurley much credit. Some wrote he only got these recruits because of his name or because he plays the game (insinuated he cheats). Almost every thread included the suggestion that Hurley will soon leave Kingston. Some appear giddy about the prospect of the players never suiting up for Rhody. Some even suggested he told these guys on the side during their recruiting that they could follow him to his next gig.
Lol I read the same thing on the VCU board. That place is weird.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kids are seeing URI is the place to be great family atmosphere and to play for a coaching staff where you will improve your skills to get a chance to play at the next level
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote:Kids are seeing URI is the place to be great family atmosphere and to play for a coaching staff where you will improve your skills to get a chance to play at the next level
All of these and then some; remember the bond that Hass and Andrea Hurley have, same can be said for EC. They don’t simply recruit a kid to be a player, Dan & Staff truly believe in wanting to make a young man into a well rounded adult. It’s impressive so screw the other school. Our time has arrived!
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Running Ram wrote:His name doesn't mean squat to the kids, maybe some of the coaches or handlers, but I doubt they are star struck by his family lineage. His attitude and personality are what define the program and bring kids in. RF1, let the jealousy and innuendo you read on the other boards inform you that our program has arrived! Get ready for a lot of trash coming at Rhody hoops from those that would aspire to be Rhody hoops. My dreams of replacing UConn as the power of northeast college hoops are happening...
Wait, I thought pc was the power of the northeast college hoops scene? :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Frankly the basketball success of late fits right in with the trajectory of the University over the last ten years - a growing academic reputation, strikingly beautiful new buildings via a $400 million building program of late with more to come, and a beautiful campus location just a few miles from a stunning coastline and beaches, - have fueled a big rise in applications over the last ten years, going from 14,000 in 2007 to over 22,000 this past year. This was achieved despite the fact that every state north of Virginia saw a decline in the number of high school graduates during the same time frame. We are a hot school!
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Whether academia likes it or not nothing drives enrollment, donations and interest like being good at a major sport. Basketball is all we got, so our administration has to continue to re-invest.

There should be a major URI hoops branding campaign going on right now, but I digress. Missed opportunity.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:Whether academia likes it or not nothing drives enrollment, donations and interest like being good at a major sport. Basketball is all we got, so our administration has to continue to re-invest.

There should be a major URI hoops branding campaign going on right now, but I digress. Missed opportunity.
We will have more NCAA trips and later March weekends to be able to make that push :)
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Whether academia likes it or not nothing drives enrollment, donations and interest like being good at a major sport. Basketball is all we got, so our administration has to continue to re-invest.

I believe before Mike Laprey left there was a conversation/action being taking to rebrand athletics as a whole... hoops are the main attraction so I can only imagine they’ll be the focal point for all that.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Let's slow down just a bit.....let's try to beat providence once in this century before we profess superiority....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Also providence has been recruiting some top tier recruits for themselves........and we haven't seen these kids play a minute of college ball....let's see how Fatts, Layssard and Tertsea do this year....and see how Cyril progresses
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

No kidding on pc. The game this year is going to be intense and one not to miss. The best game of the year perhaps. Nothing better than a URI-PC game when both are top 25 types.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is the year we finally beat PC no doubt !!
0 x