Channel 12 story on us and Adidas

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Channel 12 story on us and Adidas

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Are they trying to dig up negative info. on us? Typical...

http://wpri.com/2017/10/03/uri-contract ... her-pacts/
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Channel 12 story on us and Adidas

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Why didn't he ask PC? I think they're an Adidas school, too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:Why didn't he ask PC? I think they're an Adidas school, too.
Why do you think?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Notice right under the video...Related story:
NCAA assistant coaches among 10 accused of fraud, corruption.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PC is a Nike school.

That said I hate the local news stations in this state. Worry about the state house and stop trying to make smoke appear at URI.

The residents of this state are too dumb to not take a story like this and run with it.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

If we were paying 100k for a guy I think recruiting would be a little different around here.

Clowns.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

This story is absolutely ridiculous. That being said, I do think URI should change apparel sponsors after this Adidas scandal. Make the switch to Nike or UA.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody1992 wrote:This story is absolutely ridiculous. That being said, I do think URI should change apparel sponsors after this Adidas scandal. Make the switch to Nike or UA.
So, you think the other sneaker companies are clean? They'll be exposed too.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody1992 wrote:This story is absolutely ridiculous. That being said, I do think URI should change apparel sponsors after this Adidas scandal. Make the switch to Nike or UA.

The Nike offices were raided by the FBI as part of this ongoing investigation. This is not just restricted to Addidas. They are just the first to be targeted. Rest assured, many sneaker and apparel companies were likely engaged in similar practices.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see the problem with this story. Many on here have wondered what we got from adidas and the story didn't make inferences that we were dirty. Stuck to the facts of what the contract was.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't see the problem with this story. Many on here have wondered what we got from adidas and the story didn't make inferences that we were dirty. Stuck to the facts of what the contract was.
Just the fact that they decided to dig. As with stories like Dan's contact (which they don't seem to understand ), they're always looking for something.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't see the problem with this story. Many on here have wondered what we got from adidas and the story didn't make inferences that we were dirty. Stuck to the facts of what the contract was.
Just the fact that they decided to dig. As with stories like Dan's contact (which they don't seem to understand ), they're always looking for something.
I see both sides of this. On one hand, they absolutely decided to do this story hoping to find something to embarrass URI. The clear insinuation from the story even existing is that there could be something here, guys. On the other hand, they did report it pretty straightforward and it's hard to find anything specific in the story that is facially unfair. There is, however, a lot in the story to make fun of, primarily that the reporter/author is naive and clueless and does not seem to have any grasp of how the apparel industry interacts with major college athletics, how URI's relationship with adidas fits into that landscape, the nature of recruiting in college revenue sports, URI's place in that landscape, or any number of other contextual prerequisites the sophisticated college sports audience has come to expect from reporting. Obviously, though, the target audience of this was not sophisticated college basketball fans, it was couch dwelling middle aged Rhode Islanders who don't possess any of that understanding, either, which is where I think people are right to be aggravated about the story, which is in actuality a big nothing.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
Oh come in. Do you think it's in any of these contracts that adidas is going to provide illegal benefits to schools they sponsor? There was no "digging". They didn't chase down any of our players or recruits, they asked for a vanilla public document. You could make an argument they should have sought out that information 10 years ago when it was apparently signed. You guys are chasing ghosts at this point, there's nothing there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Oh come in. Do you think it's in any of these contracts that adidas is going to provide illegal benefits to schools they sponsor? There was no "digging". They didn't chase down any of our players or recruits, they asked for a vanilla public document. You could make an argument they should have sought out that information 10 years ago when it was apparently signed. You guys are chasing ghosts at this point, there's nothing there.
Why even do the story? It's a non-story.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't see much of an issue here. The recruiting scandal is/was huge news, so I'm not going to blame the local channels if they do a simple public information request to look into the state universities deal with the company involved. They didn't claim any wrongdoing. Like TP said, the report itself is hilarious and very poorly done, but most local news stations are these days.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:I don't see much of an issue here. The recruiting scandal is/was huge news, so I'm not going to blame the local channels if they do a simple public information request to look into the state universities deal with the company involved. They didn't claim any wrongdoing. Like TP said, the report itself is hilarious and very poorly done, but most local news stations are these days.
We'll see if they're on PC's campus when more on Nike comes out. They're just a pain in the ass.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of channel 12, in one of their preview snippets yesterday, they were going to reveal what the URI player has been charged with for the incident at the RC. As far as I know, no player has been charged with anything. Also, regarding the Adidas investigation, there is someone on twitter named Frank Keaney going back and forth with Walt Buteau about it. Buteau claims that PC was asked to see their contract and denied. He also said that NIKE was not under investigation. Lots of PC influence at WPRI.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That channel 12 story was a non story......
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:That channel 12 story was a non story......
Exactly my point. And a non-story should be treated as such and be kept off the air.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Speaking of channel 12, in one of their preview snippets yesterday, they were going to reveal what the URI player has been charged with for the incident at the RC. As far as I know, no player has been charged with anything. Also, regarding the Adidas investigation, there is someone on twitter named Frank Keaney going back and forth with Walt Buteau about it. Buteau claims that PC was asked to see their contract and denied. He also said that NIKE was not under investigation. Lots of PC influence at WPRI.
Are you sure you heard right, because the story I read online said they weren't going to reveal the player's name because he hasn't been charged? They were just doing an update with the South Kingstown police to see if charges were coming.

Also why do you say "claim" when you say Buteau said they asked for PC's contract? Why would they lie about that? And as a private institution, PC doesn't have to disclose the contract the way URI does.

The lengths people on here will go to to act aggrieved really is sad and hurts us. Whining about something silly like this makes our legitimate gripes look petty and without merit.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

This "story" topped off with Dan Jaehnig's weekly discourse with Ginah Raymundee... I can't watch local news anymore.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

WJAR won't have anything about this unless Sinclair management tells it to do so and then writes the story.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Speaking of channel 12, in one of their preview snippets yesterday, they were going to reveal what the URI player has been charged with for the incident at the RC. As far as I know, no player has been charged with anything. Also, regarding the Adidas investigation, there is someone on twitter named Frank Keaney going back and forth with Walt Buteau about it. Buteau claims that PC was asked to see their contract and denied. He also said that NIKE was not under investigation. Lots of PC influence at WPRI.
Are you sure you heard right, because the story I read online said they weren't going to reveal the player's name because he hasn't been charged? They were just doing an update with the South Kingstown police to see if charges were coming.

Also why do you say "claim" when you say Buteau said they asked for PC's contract? Why would they lie about that? And as a private institution, PC doesn't have to disclose the contract the way URI does.

The lengths people on here will go to to act aggrieved really is sad and hurts us. Whining about something silly like this makes our legitimate gripes look petty and without merit.
The story hasn't changed since the last time they covered it. Why bring it up again? Do you enjoy negative publicity about our school?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I'd be interested to know how media outlets in other markets across the country treat their state's flagship university.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And like Blue Man said, the idiots in this state read these negative headlines and believe that we're dirty and that one of our players punched a cop. If these indeed are true, go ahead and report them. Until then, shut the hell up.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

The story hasn't changed since the last time they covered it. Why bring it up again? Do you enjoy negative publicity about our school?
I feel like you're inadvertently proving my point. You're complaining about how the event is covered and ignoring the legitimate complaint about how the police department is treating one of our players.

I can't remember anywhere in the report where Boswell was accused of touching a police officer, he was arrested for yelling and not leaving the restroom fast enough for the officer's liking. And they've supposedly got plenty of evidence and eyewitness accounts to bring him into court today. And yet one of our players supposedly struck a cop and he wasn't put in handcuffs that night and three weeks later they still don't have enough evidence to charge the player. Is this at all believable? No. If a player really did strike an officer he should have been, and would have been, put in handcuffs that evening. The police department has no case, they know they have no case, and they're hanging it over everyone's head that "we anticipate charges." It was completely unprofessional to say they anticipated further charges, nothing should have been said until they were ready to make the charges. But then again, they can't create controversy if they handled it professionally.

So keep complaining about the coverage because something something Friars something something. But like it or not, this is newsworthy because Boswell is scheduled to be in court today and the local police department said they anticipated further charges. The real issue is the police department's handling of this case. That's what you should be upset about.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:And like Blue Man said, the idiots in this state read these negative headlines and believe that we're dirty and that one of our players punched a cop. If these indeed are true, go ahead and report them. Until then, shut the hell up.
So again, it sounds like you should be mad at the police's handling of this. An officer was supposedly struck and the police department said they anticipated further charges. They made it newsworthy, even though they didn't immediately arrest someone who supposedly hit an officer and three weeks later don't have enough evidence to charge the player.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:And like Blue Man said, the idiots in this state read these negative headlines and believe that we're dirty and that one of our players punched a cop. If these indeed are true, go ahead and report them. Until then, shut the hell up.
So again, it sounds like you should be mad at the police's handling of this. An officer was supposedly struck and the police department said they anticipated further charges. They made it newsworthy, even though they didn't immediately arrest someone who supposedly hit an officer and three weeks later don't have enough evidence to charge the player.
I see your point about the cops. They haven't handled it well either. Don't you find it strange that the only local TV news station that is covering both this and the Adidas story is channel 12? Is there an agenda at WPRI?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've found channel 12 has always reported on URI more than 10, both in good and unfortunately in bad times. And they're less likely than 10 to do the whole "you'll never guess what our stalker in a trench coat found! See it exclusively at 11!!!" thing. I can't comment intelligently on how channel 6 covers URI. So I personally don't feel like there's an agenda here, I just think you're seeing the results of increased coverage in general.

They updated the police story because the police department previously indicated more charges were coming and somebody is in court today from the incident. It makes sense to check in on what's happening and report that back to the viewer, even though in this case we'd rather it go away.

As for the Adidas thing, i just think you saw someone in the newsroom who heard the story about what's happening in college basketball, probably couldn't believe how much money apparel companies give some schools and thought "maybe I should see what the local schools make." Maybe they even went into it hoping they could produce a scandalous story, though I doubt it. However, all they did was request public information and all they published was a small bit about what URI receives. It's nothing. And I know you said if it's nothing it shouldn't be aired. But the flip side is, if it's nothing why do we care if it's aired or not? I don't see how anyone, URI fan or hater, can take any issue with what aired in the Adidas story. And channel 12 didn't handle it like a scandal. A reporter thought there might be a story, presented what he found, and channel 12 aired it to fill up time.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Keep in mind most of the local broadcast networks have gutted their "news" departments and replaced seasoned staff with 20-somethings fresh from communications schools.

WPRI has been a good partner for URI compared to WJAR (sports Dept head remains Friar Frank).

Let's not read too much into this. The vacuum of real information will be filled by our regulars such as Bill Koch and others who may be present for the proceedings in court.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Keep in mind most of the local broadcast networks have gutted their "news" departments and replaced seasoned staff with 20-somethings fresh from communications schools.

WPRI has been a good partner for URI compared to WJAR (sports Dept head remains Friar Frank).

Let's not read too much into this. The vacuum of real information will be filled by our regulars such as Bill Koch and others who may be present for the proceedings in court.

Well said, ATP. My buddy Friar Frank -- My feelings on him: he'll report highlights of Ponegansett Ultimate Frisbee, or West Warwick Cheerleading before he'll ever mention Rhody.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You could actually give credit to WPRI for breaking the story in the first place. Why shouldn't they also do a follow up? My guess is WPRI will report what happens today too since it was originally their story.
Twitter did not have it first, Projo didn't have it, this board didn't have it. WPRI took the initiative and reported it.

If you disagree and don't think any of this is worthy of news that's another story.

It's unfortunate that this happened but it did. Hopefully it goes away.
0 x