Possible 17-18 Broadcast Partner: Yurview (ugh)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Possible 17-18 Broadcast Partner: Yurview (ugh)

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

So it appears the late OSN/CoxHub Sports programming has risen from the ashes, which considering past broadcast quality is good news. The bad news (for them at least) is that some donkey at corporate actually let them name it "YurView".

There's no indication at the moment that URI MBB will be returning to Cox, but here's what is true:

-"YurView New England" has a partnership with PC very similar to the one CoxHub had. They will carry a majority of PC Hockey's home games (which alongside URI MBB was the other big college staple on OSN). They are also carrying a handful of WBB, and M+W soccer games.
-YVNE contains much of the former blog content that CoxHub had
-They also had some new entries about Rhody hoops late last season from Chris DiSano.
-YVNE is/will be carried on Cox Ch 4 like OSN (They may already have rolled out that branding on the channel, I don't get Cox so IDK)
-Other elements of CoxHub like the local business focused "adver-content" and the national HS football seems to be present as well.
-Their Twitter has been pimping PC and URI along with national content, but no other local teams.

The "YurView" brand has been around for several months, but what is new to the past month or so is their renewed broadcasting of RI college sports. People here will remember that when CoxHub went dark before last season it left us and PC without a production partner last year...leading to some pretty craptastic in house efforts from URI.

This could be good for Rhody sports, or at least a return to form for non natl TV games. It looks like YVNE has expanded the number of PC sports they're carrying; it would be great if a similar deal with URI resulted in Rhody baseball occasionally showing up on TV come spring. Ditto with WBB, etc. The fact that no deal was in place for fall sports like FB this year could be a sign that URI is moving in a different direction, but Laprey did say they were looking for a local TV partner so who knows?

https://www.yurview.com
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Possible 17-18 Broadcast Partner: Yurview (ugh)

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully the games will be streamed online for all the out of staters
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

reef wrote:Hopefully the games will be streamed online for all the out of staters
*prays*
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Safe bet.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

"YurView"? I almost spit out my Covfefe.
7 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

"Guys, we need something that sounds like an out of touch dad trying to talk about the internet... but we also need to tap into the phonological goldmine of that young, hip tent structure: the yurt."
"YouTurt?"
"No, but you're in the ballpark...let's keep brainstorming."
5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Puck Frovidence wrote:"Guys, we need something that sounds like an out of touch dad trying to talk about the internet... but we also need to tap into the phonological goldmine of that young, hip tent structure: the yurt."
"YouTurt?"
"No, but you're in the ballpark...let's keep brainstorming."

Gettin' turnt off the covfefe.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yeah yurview is the worst brand name I think I have ever heard
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Must be the owner's idea, as anyone else coming up with that idea would be fired.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Agreed - terrible name. But in terms of distribution, what is the channel's penetration in the RI market? I'm out of market, so I've never heard of it. For example, Cox's was pretty good, but wasn't available to directtv customers, Fios customers, etc. Cox did offer a decent streaming product. Does yurview stream anything currently?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This is Cox, isn't it?
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

TruePoint wrote:Agreed - terrible name. But in terms of distribution, what is the channel's penetration in the RI market? I'm out of market, so I've never heard of it. For example, Cox's was pretty good, but wasn't available to directtv customers, Fios customers, etc. Cox did offer a decent streaming product. Does yurview stream anything currently?
TP - exactly, this is the double edged sword. Cox production is very good, distribution not so much. The channel is only native to Cox in RI. They do have live game streams on the YVNE website, but right now only for HS Sports, not PC games. From Mike Laprey's comments in the other thread, it appears that no matter who does production, online streams will be distributed through A10 TV.

That still leaves TV up in the air. The best situation for broadcast is a local station or subchannel (MeTV, MyRITV) with a solid production by Learfield, Cox, etc. That would get 100% penetration (heh heh) in the RI/SE MA TV market, since it would be over the air and required to be carried on all cable/satellite. Second place is NESN+, since it's available to most cable, some satellite. "YurView" distribution would really be the bronze medal TBH.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

NESN+ would be my vote! Easily found on most new englander's tvs. Also, at least on FIOS, is right in the middle of the sports channels. I know a lot of non-URI fans who tunes in when on NESN because they found the game.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Are we going through this AGAIN? Rhody is not going to PAY NESN to produce the games. Cox WANTS to produce the game to once again differentiate itself against Verizon. Cox has local content. Verizon does not. You may not like Cox, but Cox has for over a decade produced -- on their own dime -- TV broadcasts of Rhody basketball and paid for the rights to bring away games to the RI market. Only recently have Rhody fans had ANY other options to view games since national networks weren't excited about showing more than a handful of Rhody games before we became nationally recognized under Coach Hurley.

As for streaming for non-Cox or out-of-market customers, YurView IS Cox's local content rebranded. We should expect the good streaming product we had two years ago from Cox. Worked on phones, laptops just great in HD.

For any games where we don't get any real TV coverage at all, we've been told the Athletics Dept would stream it and hopefully have something better than last season when they had to scramble to put something together.
6 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Whoa, what?! If you actually read the above posts LITERALLY NO ONE is mentioning NESN or anyone else PAYING URI to PRODUCE games.

In terms of PRODUCTION I mentioned:
-Cox who has produced TV games
-Learfield who hasn't produced our games, but could be paid to

For BROADCAST on TV:
-A local subchannel who HAS carried our games
-NESN+ who HAS carried our games.
-Cox/YurView who HAS carried our games. This is clearly this least beneficial BROADCAST option because it reaches the very least amount of TVs of all options. Not sure what possible counter argument you've got here, it's factually true.

For STREAMING online:
-YurView, who at the moment offers NO premium streaming subscriptions for ANY of their local college content online.
-A10.TV, which Mike Laprey already said would be the streaming platform for whatever coverage there was.

I don't know how you can be SOOOOOOO exasperated with this thread without having read any of it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Are we going through this AGAIN? Rhody is not going to PAY NESN to produce the games. Cox WANTS to produce the game to once again differentiate itself against Verizon. Cox has local content. Verizon does not. You may not like Cox, but Cox has for over a decade produced -- on their own dime -- TV broadcasts of Rhody basketball and paid for the rights to bring away games to the RI market. Only recently have Rhody fans had ANY other options to view games since national networks weren't excited about showing more than a handful of Rhody games before we became nationally recognized under Coach Hurley.

As for streaming for non-Cox or out-of-market customers, YurView IS Cox's local content rebranded. We should expect the good streaming product we had two years ago from Cox. Worked on phones, laptops just great in HD.

For any games where we don't get any real TV coverage at all, we've been told the Athletics Dept would stream it and hopefully have something better than last season when they had to scramble to put something together.
Yes, this...100% this.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Why would Cox produce a game to air it on NESN? If Cox produces, they will want to distribute. And so on and so on. Someone has to incur the cost of producing the game, the truck, the broadcasters, the crew, etc. So saying we want our games on NESN+ would require them footing the bill to produce. Or the University could incur the costs to produce, and license the games to the highest bidder...though its far fetched to think the school would go that route.
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

bigappleram wrote:Why would Cox produce a game to air it on NESN? If Cox produces, they will want to distribute. And so on and so on. Someone has to incur the cost of producing the game, the truck, the broadcasters, the crew, etc. So saying we want our games on NESN+ would require them footing the bill to produce. Or the University could incur the costs to produce, and license the games to the highest bidder...though its far fetched to think the school would go that route.
Right, in terms of Cox production that's true for TV carriage, although it still looks like the streaming coverage in that case will be carried on A10.tv. PC has a deal with YVNE and all of that content is going to be streaming on CSL apparently.

I don't think it's far fetched that URI will produce in-house for streaming and then push the games to a local broadcaster - that's what most schools do if they want TV for non-national games, and it's what we did last year. These days you don't necessarily need trucks and a relay, many schools pump out good looking coverage with a dedicated box like a Tri-Caster (which URI already owns) and a few decent cameras/people with know-how. The local America East schools do basketball coverage this way for example. The quality issue with last year's MyTV games was that URI was basically unprepared to produce their own stuff. But for schools with better production it's pretty common for local TV subs or cable secondaries (MyRITV, NESN+) to either pay to broadcast these games, or for schools to pay the relatively low cost of buying up the airtime on these secondary networks and just broadcasting their in-house or Learfield produced coverage.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Anything that gets Abu Bakr back on broadcast row is fine with me.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Doesn’t seem like cox/yurview will be producing any games after all. This rumor is DOA.

Door is open to another local broadcaster helping to bring video of games to Local residents. I suppose like last year there could be just a broadcast of the basic online streaming feed, at minimum.

Let’s see what happens.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

So Rhode Islanders will have a local tv option for PC hockey but nothing similar for the state university URI hoops program? There are currently quite a bit of games with no coverage. Thankfully there are high expectations for this year's team and the A-10 tv partners have chosen to televise many Ram games. What however happens if the team is not projected to do as well?
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I will be very surprised if every game on the schedule is not televised or streamed.
I would expect the A-18 to allow viewing of all 18 games
TV and Streaming Schedules still in progress. Schedules have not even been out very long. Many games still TBA on times since Broadcast schedules are a work in progress

My bet is you will be able to view every game. Every year Streaming expands more and more for all teams
2017-18 Schedule.png
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:I will be very surprised if every game on the schedule is not televised or streamed.
TV and Streaming Schedules still in progress. Schedules have not even been out very long. Many games still TBA on times since Broadcast schedules are a work in progress

My bet is you will be able to view every game. Every year Streaming expands more and more for all teams

2017-18 Schedule.png
I believe we could stream every game last year, that's not the issue. The streams URI produced were horrible and I'm sure there are worse teams out there that do a better broadcast us. I still have nightmares from the baseline camera angle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:I will be very surprised if every game on the schedule is not televised or streamed.

2017-18 Schedule.png
I believe we could stream every game last year, that's not the issue. The streams URI produced were horrible and I'm sure there are worse teams out there that do a better broadcast us. I still have nightmares from the baseline camera angle.
Right,
and that is because Cox pulled out late and did not broadcast anything. URI did the best they could considering the circumstances.
But what I am reading here the issue being discussed here is broadcasting period, not the quality of the URI broadcasts.
My guess is the A10 Network picks up all the URI games.
Which games are you worried about the quality of?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bottom line is wait for the full TV/streaming schedule details to be released. It doesn't matter until the games begin.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed. My guess is URI has the best TV/Streaming schedule ever.
0 x