Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Unread post by bmat07 »

The United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York announced early Tuesday that a press conference will be held at noon ET to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball against four current assistant coaches -- Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson, Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans and USC's Tony Bland. Managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company are also involved.

The four basketball coaches were arrested late Monday.

Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas Basketball, was also arrested. He's accused of helping funnel approximately $100,000 to the family of an "All-American high school basketball player" to secure the prospect's commitment to a school that Adidas sponsors.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... n-charges/
1 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Re: Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Unread post by RIKen822 »

Merl Code, director of Nike Elite Youth Basketball Was also named.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Re: Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Article mentions the All-American player as Brian Bowen, who committed to Louisville. Not a good look for Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl, both of whom have had run-ins with the NCAA and whose programs are being linked to this. Will be interesting to follow this and see what comes of it.
0 x
RIKen822
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RIKen822 »

Whenever I see Nike, hard not to think Oregon in same thought.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

When they say Chuck Person, is that THE Chuck Person who smashed Larry Legend's head into the floor?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This stuff is everywhere.....tip of the iceberg.....my guess is, if everything like this was uncovered, there would be many more announcements like this.

Programs that are squeaky clean are probably in the minority nowadays.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

WAIT...you mean to tell me there is corruption in NCAA sports! I can't believe it!! Pay the players and stuff like this wouldn't be necessary.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Much happier that we run a clean program on that front. I'd rather hear about 10 more Boswell-type incidents than something along these lines.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

adam914 wrote:WAIT...you mean to tell me there is corruption in NCAA sports! I can't believe it!! Pay the players and stuff like this wouldn't be necessary.
tuition
housing
food
books
travel expenses
training facilities

they do get "paid". Lets see how quickly their tune changes when they get paid but have to pay out of pocket for travel expenses, facilities time, housing, tuition, food plan, books, etc. And have to pay taxes on the new income.

on topic...lets be real the NCAA could find violations at any school any time they wanted and choose to turn the blind eye except for a few wrist slaps here and there to keep the media quiet.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said. "I had an AAU director call me and say, 'Would you be interested in a basketball player?' I said ... 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.'
Updated:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... n-charges/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The head coaches there are responsible for their programs.....just as guilty if not more so than the assistants named.

Just a cover, that's all. Pearl and Pitino, just naming 2, obviously haven't learned any lessons. They need to go.

Adam, paying the players is one thing....we're talking about paying to GET the players.

Remember when Calhoun said he knew nothing about his assistants calling recruits? Not the same as this type of violation, but denying knowledge of what's going on?

Pure unadulterated bullshit. Just wait...all those coaches will deny being involved.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Go read the tweets of @JasonRileyWDRB about the U of L piece of this. Fascinating and mind blowing.
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

For those of us not on the Twitter - can you share or link, URI96?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:When they say Chuck Person, is that THE Chuck Person who smashed Larry Legend's head into the floor?
It appears that way, yes.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

sf2010 wrote:For those of us not on the Twitter - can you share or link, URI96?
you dont need a twitter account to read tweets. just put his username into google and it'll be the top result. Also he has 30+ tweets about this, pasting in the thread isn't feasible.

The big question is how far down the rabbit hole do the Feds want to go...and does Pitino have enough grease in his hair to lube up and slide through the cracks again
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
you dont need a twitter account to read tweets. just put his username into google and it'll be the top result. Also he has 30+ tweets about this, pasting in the thread isn't feasible.

The big question is how far down the rabbit hole do the Feds want to go...and does Pitino have enough grease in his hair to lube up and slide through the cracks again
It will be interesting to see what happens to Pitino. https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/ric ... -lucky-one

Hair grease jokes get me every time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

U.S. Attorney Press Conference about to kick-off. Link below to watch...

1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote:WAIT...you mean to tell me there is corruption in NCAA sports! I can't believe it!! Pay the players and stuff like this wouldn't be necessary.
tuition
housing
food
books
travel expenses
training facilities

they do get "paid". Lets see how quickly their tune changes when they get paid but have to pay out of pocket for travel expenses, facilities time, housing, tuition, food plan, books, etc. And have to pay taxes on the new income.

on topic...lets be real the NCAA could find violations at any school any time they wanted and choose to turn the blind eye except for a few wrist slaps here and there to keep the media quiet.
If your employer offered to replace your salary by paying your housing costs (at a place of their choosing) and food costs, plus work-related travel, gym access and some books...you would take that deal? I sure as hell would not.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote:
tuition
housing
food
books
travel expenses
training facilities

If your employer offered to replace your salary by paying your housing costs (at a place of their choosing) and food costs, plus work-related travel, gym access and some books...you would take that deal? I sure as hell would not.
I sure as hell wouldn't! For what I know, I'd end up being placed in a small drafty apartment above a karaoke bar. Surviving on Chef Boyardee.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

"Look what you made me do"......
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

tuition
housing
food
books
travel expenses
training facilities

Completely agree.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Watch Little Ricky do Sgt. Schultz again, and skate again.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not surprised.
Notice it wasn't the NCAA's action, but FBI's.
Still waiting for the eternal NCAA investigation into UNC's
scandal to see the light of day.
This is why mid majors can;t compete.
Big money waved under the noses of 18 year olds,
must be hard to resisit.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not surprised.
Notice it wasn't the NCAA's action, but FBI's.
Still waiting for the eternal NCAA investigation into UNC's
scandal to see the light of day.
This is why mid majors can;t compete.
Big money waved under the noses of 18 year olds,
must be hard to resisit.
If I understand it correctly, it sounds like the FBI intentionally left the NCAA in the dark on the investigation. Shows you how much they trust them to help uncover the corruption.
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The denials and idk's have already started.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

I don't think there's any way that Pitino makes it out of this unscathed. Too much smoke around that program now for him to be able to plead ignorance and keep his job.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Assuming we are clean, this could help our future recruiting.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Assuming we are clean, this could help our future recruiting.
How so?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I worry that the Adidas link will work against us.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Assuming we are clean, this could help our future recruiting.
Agree,
Will hurt the teams that pay, and will help the teams that do not pay.

URI, being a clean program as well as an up and coming program, could benefit

Teams will need to stop. This is the FBI, not the NCAA. Not good publicity for the brand name involved either
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

wow......

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:I worry that the Adidas link will work against us.
I think this breaks too late to change this year's recruiting class and our contract with adidas runs out on June 30th. If this tarnishes us in anyway I'm sure we'll be with someone else July 1st.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder what recruits that have made verbals to these schools do now? There are quite a few highly ranked players.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Hearing potential Death Penalty at U of L... family member who is a member of law enforcement at the NCAA level and I just spoke... this will be the end for Ricky P...
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Rhody74 wrote:I worry that the Adidas link will work against us.
I said this in the Harris recruiting thread but it is more relevant here. I'd be shocked if other apparel companies like Nike/UA/others are not eventually implicated, I do not think this issue is isolated to adidas. So, as long as we're not one of the schools on-the-take or employing someone on-the-take, then I can't imagine that it will have any negative effects for us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

When I said this is the tip of the iceberg I wasn't kidding.....
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW, Kate Howard - formerly of The Newport Daily News and now of the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting - has been on a team looking into Louisville for years now. Perhaps not surprisingly, the whole school seemingly has some issues, not just the basketball team. One of her more recent pieces, but plenty of other ones on the site too: http://kycir.org/2017/08/04/in-effort-t ... s-balloon/
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maybe this is enough to put us in the Top 25 to start the year? Heck, if this thing explodes we could be top 10.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

You'd think $100,000 would get more than the 5th best SF
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

100K just doesn't buy what it used to.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't have anything else to say...the above is too perfect to not be repeated....
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I know it's not a betting scandal, but I can't help but wonder if this will rival the scandals of the early 50s that all but destroyed NYC college basketball.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

as Long as the indictments don’t say public research institution in RI we can breath easy

For NCAA purposes. If a coach at a school is convicted in a court of law, can that be enough evidence for sanctions or the never actually used tv ban or death penalty options
0 x