Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a dark day for college hoops. Let the mass firings begin should be interesting
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Four college basketball assistant coaches hit with federal fraud, corruption charges

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Lamont Evans was at South Carolina while we were recruiting Chris Silva.

Is it a stretch to think we lost out on Silva because of $$$? That one still bothers me. Silva would have been great here.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

1. I am selfishly glad this happened in 2017 and not 1997. 20 years ago our perspective might have been different.

2. As much as I want to see this crap out of recruiting, I will be sad if thi has a major impact on college hoops, meaning if more than 6 or 7 schools go down the product will likely suffer. Also do not want to have this be the reason the one and done rule is eliminated, I think that rule benefits our recruiting in a way.

3. While I think we are likely clean, I have a small amount of worry that Rhody will show up in some way.

4. Once they start getting the indicted guys to talk, this will not be limited to just Adidas schools.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rick Pitino is "shocked" that Louisville is implicated.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And here we go, #31 ESPN EJ Montgomery just decommitted from Auburn this morning......how many of these will we see?

https://scout.com/college/basketball/re ... 059222/Amp
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

with the potential Death Penalty on the horizon for Louisville it will be interesting to see what type of coach, and players, they are able to attract in the future. Money talks, but being [potentially] held out of the NCAA for any number of years will be a tough pill to swallow.
0 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Wanted to share an article from Bloomberg on the topic as it was a nice read: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social

Rhodylaw is right on this having a major impact on college hoops and any college bball fan hates to see this unfold.

For URI, I am hopeful that we learned all to well what happened in the late 90s with a coach, which I wont name, and we saw the impact it had on not only rebuilding but stabilizing our program.

While the Adidas affiliation for URI has me a little worried on merely "guilty by association", I have faith and trust in Hurley and Co's integrity for recruiting, etc.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino tells his staff he expects to lose his job

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... s-lose-job
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Louisville AD fired. Nothing on Pitino yet, but the school is having a PC this afternoon and Pitino will not be there. I'm guessing he's getting fired too?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yep, Pitino is gone.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote:Yep, Pitino is gone.
"The negativity in this federal probe sucks."
6 x
'No Mercy.'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:

Pitino already had his press conference regarding the newest allegations:

4 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Someone get CFL on the line - we have a University looking to clean things up via "THE process"
7 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Say it ain't so Ricky
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pitino the first to get canned. What's going to be interesting is there will be lots of high profile coaches on the market next year looking to get new jobs and restore their reputations
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

OMG, its actually happening.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Pitino the first to get canned. What's going to be interesting is there will be lots of high profile coaches on the market next year looking to get new jobs and restore their reputations

With all the accumulated baggage surrounding coaches such as Pitino and Pearl, don't look for them to coach in the college ranks ever again. No school is going there.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

reef wrote:Pitino the first to get canned. What's going to be interesting is there will be lots of high profile coaches on the market next year looking to get new jobs and restore their reputations
I don't think these guys are going to wind up getting second chances. I'm sure any coach implicated will get some sort of show-cause penalty that will in all effects end their coaching careers at the NCAA level, provided that they aren't already subject to some sort of jail time as a result of the federal investigation.
2 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

adam914 wrote:
I can't believe this happened on the 8 year, 1 month anniversary of the day Ted Kennedy died.
1 x
'No Mercy.'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wonder if Travis Ford is tied up in this
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a mess this is turning into. Is Kentucky clean in all of this ???
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Pitino's top recruiter was at Indiana a couple of years ago ...
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Until the FBI completes it's investigation everyone's under suspicion.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UofL Press Conference makes it official - both Pitino and AD Jurich are out. Unanimous decision by board of trustees. The Cardinal hoops player named by FBI is being suspended from all team activities until further notice.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Also, an Auburn recruit decommitted. This is just the beginning.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:

Also, an Auburn recruit decommitted. This is just the beginning.

and another reopening his recruiting who committed to Louisville
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The more this unravels the more I'm really happy we're a really good high major program, not big time.

That said, as per usual, nothing will happen here with regards to the NCAA considering that Baylor, Miami, UNC, Baylor again, Penn State, Louisville (the first time), etc - all had at least equally, if not more egregious violations (the kind that really make you question the "student" part of student-athlete, or worse the kind that endanger/enable the abuse of children and women) - and got put on double-secret probation.

Sure - small SMU school in the 80s? Death penalty. Power 5, big money maker? Eh...let's wait and see who kneels for the anthem and we'll sweep this under the rug.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Penn State got hammered
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Penn St? Not really Didn't they get all their wins back?
3 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

They could only have 15 scholarships 4 year bowl ban, 60 million dollar fine. Not sure if they got wins back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SMU got demolished with the Death Penalty. They were the top team in the nation with the Pony Express of Eric Dickerson and Craig James. Program never fully recovered to this day.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Louisville Courier- Journal has a bunch of articles.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... 707645001/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Adidas hired Tom Jurich's daughter months before $160 million deal with University of Louisville
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 11:13 AM EST

http://www.wdrb.com/story/36464932/adid ... louisville
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Surfri72 wrote:Penn State got hammered
Penn State and the community around their football team enabled and protected the rape and abuse of children for DECADES.DECADES.

Beaver Stadium should've been razed with their delusional fan base inside of it.

4 years of no playoffs? Whoopie. Sure that gave all of those children their souls back.

Baylor is pretty much a factory of rape and abuse. Crickets.

Sorry but if the death penalty doesn't come for programs promoting that - nevermind UNC manufacturing fake grades and classes - it's never coming again.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Smokinjimit wrote:Penn St? Not really Didn't they get all their wins back?
I believe they did along with Paterno, plus I think a lot of the original penalties were reduced. They got off easy considering the offense
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines