WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Granted you had other things to say but it seems to me you keep implying the cops did something wrong and that doesn't seem fair to me.

1. I really hope we don't learn later that some hero cop came in itching for a confrontation.
2. the adults involved (particularly in the SKPD) can do the right thing and not play this up for reasons that have much more to do with seeking attention for themselves than with fairness.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ok, but those aren't accusations that they did anything wrong. It is an honestly felt concern of mine that is based on situations that I've experienced, both personally and professionally. I am not implying that the police did do something wrong, but I am saying I hope that they didn't because I have seen situations in which police overreact, escalate and then use their authority to make things very difficult on the other party. I'm not saying that happened here - I know just about nothing regarding the facts here. I'm just fearful that it could happen.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I agree with those who say speculating what happened isn't constructive at this point. We basically know the cops' side of the story; anxiously awaiting to hear Boswell's and the player's.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree and I am not speculating. I'm saying I hope it didn't play out a certain way.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems like we have the projo story and 3 pages of shit here.
5 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

How would we hear their side?

IDK about you guys but the other side's story is never told in these. Unless it is juicy and there is a documentary 30 years later.

Get charges dropped or next to dropped. Move on.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Surprised the Projo and or WPRI didn't release the name of the player yet. I believe the Projo article said they reached out after business hours last night so they were unable to get the police report.

If they did today, and since it is a public record, they have the players name now.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So now the media is going to start reporting on people who were involved with a situation but didn't get charged? I'm pretty sure police blotters don't include information on uncharged people.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

God forbid I bring up PC, but Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock were never charged at PC and their names were out there.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote:So now the media is going to start reporting on people who were involved with a situation but didn't get charged? I'm pretty sure police blotters don't include information on uncharged people.
Yes. And I know who those other people are that were involved, but am not going to tell anyone.

(Actually...no, I don't, just thought I'd give that a spin a spin... for fun...)

But, to call this thread "3 pages of sh*t" as per earlier...is an insult to manure everywhere. :lol:
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody15 wrote:God forbid I bring up PC, but Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock were never charged at PC and their names were out there.
Their names weren't announced until over 4 months later. The report never named the players, but it was pretty easy to piece together when someone said two members of the team were being investigated for an incident that happened in November.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Police don't accuse someone of doing something illegal. They either arrest for violating the law or they don't due to no violation.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:Police don't accuse someone of doing something illegal. They either arrest for violating the law or they don't due to no violation.
Ah, if only it were this simple.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Police don't accuse someone of doing something illegal. They either arrest for violating the law or they don't due to no violation.
?? Not sure I understand. They use their judgement and make an arrest based on that. The charged individual gets an attorney to dispute the circumstances and evidence. If a policeman arrests you, you are charged with a crime.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I live in the area and have always found SKPD to be very measured in their response to provocation......
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
?? Not sure I understand. They use their judgement and make an arrest based on that. The charged individual gets an attorney to dispute the circumstances and evidence. If a policeman arrests you, you are charged with a crime.
Not really sure I am interested in getting into a debate on policing in America, this isn't the place for it, but my point was merely that it is unfortunately never as cut and dry as "if you violate the law they arrest you and if there is no violation they don't".
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
adam914 wrote:
Not really sure I am interested in getting into a debate on policing in America, this isn't the place for it, but my point was merely that it is unfortunately never as cut and dry as "if you violate the law they arrest you and if there is no violation they don't".
It really is that simple Adam. You get arrested you are charged with a crime. You hire an attorney and dispute the charge and evidence. I mean these are the laws of the USA.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There is an odd dichotomy going on where people have been led to believe if you are arrested you are guilty. And certain factions believe the police are arresting people erroneously, thus making them guilty. The law of the land is innocent until proven guilty. So if you are charged with a crime and are found not guilty, the crime was never committed by you. But media doesn't want that. They want you convicted as soon as you are charged. And some actually believe this.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

People are fired now when they are charged, not when they actually go to court and are either convicted or found not guilty.

It's like guilty until proven innocent.....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:People are fired now when they are charged, not when they actually go to court and are either convicted or found not guilty.

It's like guilty until proven innocent.....
Companies or organizations do their own investigation to make their own determination. To prove someone guilty in court ("beyond a reasonable doubt") is much more stringent than what an employer uses to make their conclusion as to if there are grounds for termination. The court/legal process is also very slow.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

9 days until the official start of college basketball, if there are player suspensions, they will happen soon.
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Any mention of player names with respect to this incident will be swiftly removed unless there is an arrest and charges filed.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote:9 days until the official start of college basketball, if there are player suspensions, they will happen soon.
It's been almost a week since the event, Dan and Thorr are well aware of the happenings. If there were suspensions or external punishments you'd have already heard.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:9 days until the official start of college basketball, if there are player suspensions, they will happen soon.
It's been almost a week since the event, Dan and Thorr are well aware of the happenings. If there were suspensions or external punishments you'd have already heard.
With the caveat that if a charge is filed against the player for a serious crime, which seems increasingly doubtful every day, we may have heard the last of this. I'm sure there will be some internal discipline and a message that this doesn't happen again - and knowing these guys it seems very likely it won't. As far as Boswell, maybe it's just my worldview but his charge wasn't serious and will probably be dropped or nolo'd with a filing at worse; he may have sacrificed himself to keep the player from serious trouble; his effort may be appreciated in this even if the school cannot praise him publicly for getting arrested. I'd expect him back to work once this all blows over and/or the charges are dropped.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My major concern is whether the fight was among team members because that is a serious issue apart from the police or any misdemeanor involved.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Obadiah wrote:My major concern is whether the fight was among team members because that is a serious issue apart from the police or any misdemeanor involved.
It wasn't. Team is still a solid unit. Everyone has each other's back from the top down.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't think there is any reason to think that is the case. I realize there was a poorly worded sentence in one of the stories that could be read that way, but nothing I have seen or heard as specifically pointed to that being the case.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:
IMHO, I don't think that is true. If Coach Hurley were to announce a suspension of Player X today, everyone would assume the worst. Coach Hurley could still ultimately decide to give him a few game suspension for not upholding the conduct standards of a student-athlete on his team, regardless of legal proceedings. However, there is no reason for him to announce anything until something more significant comes.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The fact that I read some player was punching a wall is the most concerning thing to me at this point ... ya need your hands for basketball.
2 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

PeterRamTime wrote:The fact that I read some player was punching a wall is the most concerning thing to me at this point ... ya need your hands for basketball.
I believe it was a bathroom stall/partition. These are much more conducive for punching.
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RoadyJay wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:The fact that I read some player was punching a wall is the most concerning thing to me at this point ... ya need your hands for basketball.
I believe it was a bathroom stall/partition. These are much more conducive for punching.
Ahh good! Smart tantrum punching!
3 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Not like that silly no-good Nikola Malesevic wall punching.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Walls in Serbia are softer.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Malesevic did it at the Ryan Center. I'll never forget that one.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I have reread all 183 replies to the original post of the WPRI report........As I see it, no factual information was added in the next 182 posts.

On 9/18, WPRI reported that Ty Boswell had been charged with two misdemeanors as a result of a disturbance at the Ryan Center. He will appear in court 9/28.
.....The SK police stated that there might be more charges.
.....The University has placed him on administrative leave.

I can't add any info, but found reading the thread's twists and turns, interesting. Hopefully all will be resolved without any negative press. So far that has been the case.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

A player was involved ... pretty sure that was in there somewhere
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CTRamfan wrote:I have reread all 183 replies to the original post of the WPRI report........As I see it, no factual information was added in the next 182 posts.

On 9/18, WPRI reported that Ty Boswell had been charged with two misdemeanors as a result of a disturbance at the Ryan Center. He will appear in court 9/28.
.....The SK police stated that there might be more charges.
.....The University has placed him on administrative leave.

I can't add any info, but found reading the thread's twists and turns, interesting. Hopefully all will be resolved without any negative press. So far that has been the case.

In fairness, I think there was more information than what you just stated. For one, from the article "According to the police report, officers working a concert detail at the Ryan Center Thursday night responded to a reported fight in a men’s bathroom involving members of the basketball team."
We keep hearing about 1 player related to a possible contact with a police officer, but should also consider "members of the basketball team" were involved.
I don't know that this thread is much different from most threads, including recruiting threads where quite a bit of opinion is stated - but it's a message board, not necessarily an all fact board.

Also, the joking comment of "Are they sure it wasn't a PC player that hit a cop?" brought out the PC fans who monitor our board that lengthened the thread considerably with nonsense.

All will come out in the end with time and as always we all move on. Relax and enjoy what Hurley and Company are building here.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes we are building something very special here and can't have any incident derail us
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It won't
2 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

Someone posted the following on the other PC forum. I can't find the Narragansett Times article in question...

Here's an excerpt from the Narragansett Times today:

"according to the police report, police responded to a report of a disturbance inside the men's bathroom. When police entered the bathroom,a male subject, later identified as URI men's basketball player Stanford Robinson was being restrained by other male subjects.

Robinson had been "acting in an aggressive manner, yelling, swearing and punching a bathroom stall" the report states. As police attempted to break up the fight, Boswell tried to block officers from their path toward Robinson.

According to the report, Boswell "became extremely vocal and was yelling at officers" shouting things like 'who the (expletive deleted) do you think we are'.

When it "was apparent that he was not going to leave peacefully', police notified Boswell that he was under arrest. Boswell continued to resist arrest, struggling aggressively before police were able to secure him in handcuffs.

Boswell told police he had been 'trying to protect his kids', the police report states."

The article goes on to say that Boswell has been placed on leave.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Paleoguy wrote:Someone posted the following on the other PC forum. I can't find the Narragansett Times article in question...

"according to the police report, police responded to a report of a disturbance inside the men's bathroom. When police entered the bathroom,a male subject, later identified as URI men's basketball player Stanford Robinson was being restrained by other male subjects.

Robinson had been "acting in an aggressive manner, yelling, swearing and punching a bathroom stall" the report states. As police attempted to break up the fight, Boswell tried to block officers from their path toward Robinson.

According to the report, Boswell "became extremely vocal and was yelling at officers" shouting things like 'who the (expletive deleted) do you think we are'.

When it "was apparent that he was not going to leave peacefully', police notified Boswell that he was under arrest. Boswell continued to resist arrest, struggling aggressively before police were able to secure him in handcuffs.

Boswell told police he had been 'trying to protect his kids', the police report states."

so drunk kid is doing drunk kid things, nothing to see here.

and good on Boswell, he did his job. He made himself the focus of the officers and played the sacrificial lamb to protect the player. Hurley will suspend him (Boswell) more for appearances than anything else, then he'll come back with no residual effects.

The player will at most be suspended for the 1st game.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I can't find the Narragansett Times/ricentral.com article either.

I am questioning the validity of the reported post on a FRIARS BLOG as reported........Has anyone seen the ACTUAL news article.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Boswell should not have resisted arrest though. If he gets suspended, it will be for that.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Paleoguy wrote:Someone posted the following on the other PC forum. I can't find the Narragansett Times article in question...

I do not see this article mentioned on the PC Message Board. I also don't see it in the Narragansett Times either. Do you have a link to the PC Forum that you are referencing? I would seriously question the validity of this without direct links.. Link to specific names should be removed until validated imho.

http://scout.com/college/providence/Boa ... -107638061
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ramster wrote:

I do not see this article mentioned on the PC Message Board. I also don't see it in the Narragansett Times either. Do you have a link to the PC Forum that you are referencing? I would seriously question the validity of this without direct links.. Link to specific names should be removed until validated imho.

Wrong board.. http://friartownhoops.proboards.com/thr ... l-arrested
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote:

There is another PC forum that was created several years ago:

http://friartownhoops.proboards.com/thr ... l-arrested

That is why the link to the board should be posted. If players names are going to be posted then links should be provided, at the very least. In addition, this PC Board Poster provides no link, so how do we know he or she didn't just make it all up? This is nowhere to be found in the Narragansett Times. No Links, then no player names should be posted imho.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Went and checked this 2nd PC Message Board. Don't know when, or why PC broke into two different message boards but this one was not very nice about the issue. Some poster named Dex posted the "Here's an excerpt from the Narragansett Times today:" with no link. No clue where he got his information. Bad to post with no link.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Narragansett Times only publishes on Wednesday and Friday. The above was not in the Wednesday edition
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Narragansett Times is published on Wednesdays and Fridays. Their website always seems to be a few days behind for posted articles. For now, there is no article online with the aforementioned player's name.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you go to the Narragansett Times site and do a search for Ty Boswell, the only article that comes up is the Tate verbal.
0 x