WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Dawan Robinson is the Bee's Knees
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

rambone 78 wrote:It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when an assistant is arrested and a player might be also, that's negative publicity that we don't need right now, or any time really.

No matter what the actual facts are, it's a bad look no matter how this shakes out.

I would imagine Dan has reached out to our recent commits and hopefully reassured them things will be OK.
No doubt bad PR, but also seems to be a bit blown out of proportion... that's all my point is.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote:
Rhody15 wrote:IF, I repeat, IF, said player did hit a cop, he is as good as gone.

Depends on all the circumstances. Dawan Robinson was arrested for resisting an arrest over ten years ago (2005) at a Narragansett bar. Was suspended a few games.
That was the last night Black Point was opened. I remember seeing that whole thing unfold.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Here's the ProJo story .... page 2.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... yan-center
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Are they sure it wasn't a PC player that hit a cop?
Relevant question.
Just to clear things up Dawan Robinson was the last college player to have an incident with the law. Believe he played for uri
https://friarsbasketball.wordpress.com/ ... -arrested/

http://wpri.com/2014/03/19/four-pc-bask ... -since-10/

forget about Johnnie Lacy and James Still almost beating a kid to death?

or Bullock and Austin's sexual assault allegations?

or Henton getting charged with domestic assault?

or Batts getting charged with disorderly conduct and failure to leave?

I mean I know its tough, not like a lot of PC fans can read or have basic comprehension skills
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
SUPER OFF TOPIC
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Relevant question.
Just to clear things up Dawan Robinson was the last college player to have an incident with the law. Believe he played for uri

I mean I know its tough, not like a lot of PC fans can read or have basic

How is this off topic when some PC troll just brought a previous issue... looks to me like Da Process was just reminding them their program isn't without sin...
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
That's to come to light when the time is right. This is the problem with a message board, only drama. Why cast a stone when you don't know what factual took place?

Any company worth its salt would put someone on admin leave for liability reasons alone, this is a simple misdemeanor and as I've heard it Ty was trying to extract a kid from a situation that escalated when the cops got involved;.
NRF I know you are knowledgeable on recruiting. Not sure why you feel you know more than others about this situation. Stating everything on here is false comes across as an emotional Rhody fan. Your comment above that Ty was trying to extract a kid and it escalated when the cops got involved is not accurate. The cops were already involved when Ty showed up. It escalated when Ty got involved. He started swearing who the F*** are you etc. That is a fact witnessed by several people. The other information I have posted is factual.

I am assuming you don't work for the University and don't know the process that has to be followed for termination of an employee so your comment that Ty would've already been fired is not accurate. I don't think he will be fired but you posted like an expert and slammed everyone else's comments as false.

Also just to correct other posts - the report is that the player struck the officer in the face. It didn't say he punched the officer in the face. That can be a big difference with regards to intent and charges pressed.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NorthernRamFan wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote: Just to clear things up Dawan Robinson was the last college player to have an incident with the law. Believe he played for uri

I mean I know its tough, not like a lot of PC fans can read or have basic

How is this off topic when some PC troll just brought a previous issue... looks to me like Da Process was just reminding them their program isn't without sin...
this. PC troll wanted to act high and mighty, and I corrected them.

Also, the subject of my post was college basketball players getting in trouble with the law...in a thread about a college basketball player getting in trouble with the law. Technically my post was on topic.
1 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the fight involved strictly members of the team, then they aren't a completely happy group I guess.

Hopefully this will pass without much further incident.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Any company worth its salt would put someone on admin leave for liability reasons alone, this is a simple misdemeanor and as I've heard it Ty was trying to extract a kid from a situation that escalated when the cops got involved;.
NRF I know you are knowledgeable on recruiting. Not sure why you feel you know more than others about this situation. Stating everything on here is false comes across as an emotional Rhody fan. Your comment above that Ty was trying to extract a kid and it escalatec when the cops got involved is not accurate. The cops were already involvec when Ty showed up. It escalated when Ty got involved. He started swearing who the F*** are you etc. That is a fact witnessed by several people. The other information I have
posted is factual.

I am assuming you don't work for the University and don't know the process that has to be followed for termination of an employee so your comment that Ty would've already been fired is not accurate. I don't think he will be fired but you posted like an expert and slammed everyone else's comments as false.

Also just to correct other posts - the report is that the player struck the officer in the face. It didn't say he punched the officer in the face. That can be a big difference with regards to intent and charges pressed.
What I have said and what I continue to say is that there's more to the story than what is being reported. I'm not going to share what I've been told because this isn't the place. I am aware of HR practices as part of my actual work professionally deals directly with legalities of hiring and firing practices. Only one side is being reported on and there's always 3 sides to every story as my father would say. Much of what has been reported from what I've been told by people who were there, not staff or player involved, is that there's more to this story then just what the SKPD is giving to the media. There's been far too many people coming on this board being slanderous and trying to defame one of our coaches along with trying to get the player's name... why do we need to know which player. Whether it's the last guy on the bench or the star of a program they should all be treated fairly and legally... i.e. Not having their name dragged through the mud like Coach Boswell is having happen to him at this moment.

I will state again, are we sure that this wasn't an overreaction by SKPD and the coach gave himself up rather than the player getting into trouble? If that turns out to be the case I say good on the coach for trying to keep his player out of harms way.

That's my 35 cents and I won't be commenting any further.
Last edited by NorthernRamFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Are they sure it wasn't a PC player that hit a cop?
Relevant question.
I think it's pretty well known that PC players were involved in this also.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Unfortunately one of our posters brought pc up initially and woodennickel was then given the opening to defend his favorite school......we opened the door for him here....
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly what happened.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:Here's the ProJo story .... page 2.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... yan-center
There is no article in my Providence Journal Newspaper this morning. Nothing.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I think if you went to our board, you'd see that we acknowledged that this type of thing could and does happen everywhere. You guys just drew the short straw this time around. It's smart that everyone in the media and even keyboard tough guys are mostly reserving judgment until the facts are known.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:He was a bad hire from the start. Got the job because he was a seedy AAU coach. Thirty seven years old and just got his degree from Northeastern (on line no doubt) in 2016. What's the matter, karl Koussa wasn't available.

Boswell got his degree from a very highly ranked school. Much more so than URI.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote:I think if you went to our board, you'd see that we acknowledged that this type of thing could and does happen everywhere. You guys just drew the short straw this time around. It's smart that everyone in the media and even keyboard tough guys are mostly reserving judgment until the facts are known.
Let's let this play out. URI players weren't the only ones involved. Let's just say the rivalry just got more interesting. That's all I'm saying and this is my last post on this subject until the facts are revealed. I will in no way give any names to anybody. The PC trolls might want to reserve comments.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
PCFriars wrote:I think if you went to our board, you'd see that we acknowledged that this type of thing could and does happen everywhere. You guys just drew the short straw this time around. It's smart that everyone in the media and even keyboard tough guys are mostly reserving judgment until the facts are known.
Let's let this play out. URI players weren't the only ones involved. Let's just say the rivalry just got more interesting. That's all I'm saying and this is my last post on this subject until the facts are revealed. I will in no way give any names to anybody. The PC trolls might want to reserve comments.

The PC people had said nothing here until you made your stupid comment. But that should be expected coming from you.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Putting 2 and 2 together........interesting.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

This is going to be "great" once it's revealed that PC players were involved. - speculation
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Knowing this now, maybe this will just blow over and Ty and the player will get a slap on the wrist and move on.....no injuries reported as far as I know.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

URI 5 cent Cigar sports is going to drop a new podcast this AM with discussion on this topic. Will link from Cigar Sports twitter account
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Knowing this now, maybe this will just blow over and Ty and the player will get a slap on the wrist and move on.....no injuries reported as far as I know.
yup, thats been my stance from the start.

Boswell got arrested because he didnt walk away.

If the player had done anything worse than causing a disturbance/drunk in public he would've been arrested as well. This is nothing more than drunk kid does drunk kid thing and he'll have a fine to pay, student affairs to answer to and coach Hurley's team punishment.
1 x
---
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hrstrat57 wrote:URI 5 cent Cigar sports is going to drop a new podcast this AM with discussion on this topic. Will link from Cigar Sports twitter account
What time?
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Poor judgement all around it looks like.....wonder who instigated the whole thing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:URI 5 cent Cigar sports is going to drop a new podcast this AM with discussion on this topic. Will link from Cigar Sports twitter account
What time?
Not sure of the time but there's this...
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster, the article is in the Providence Journal, it's just not on the Sports section, but on page two of front section.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

[ quote="Obadiah"]ramster, the article is in the Providence Journal, it's just not on the Sports section, but on page two of front section.[/quote]

Thanks Obadiah, I just found it. Expected it to be in the sports section. My bad.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Without a doubt this is a bad situation, the question is how bad. Did this altercation involve basketball players or was it between basketball players??
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wonder if this will have any affect on the season ticket holder event on Thursday.

If it is still on, could have an awkward/uneasy feel to it...
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

So at least for Ty, they were only misdemeanors.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Obadiah wrote:ramster, the article is in the Providence Journal, it's just not on the Sports section, but on page two of front section.
like we didn't expect the PC Journal to pass up a chance to run with something negative about URI. Are we really chicken little'ing bad enough that we forgot how that rag operates?
2 x
---
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Obadiah wrote:ramster, the article is in the Providence Journal, it's just not on the Sports section, but on page two of front section.
like we didn't expect the PC Journal to pass up a chance to run with something negative about URI. Are we really chicken little'ing bad enough that we forgot how that rag operates?
An assistant coach gets arrested and you think the Projo shouldn't write a story? Have a clue.
10 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Iggy1979 wrote:
An assistant coach gets arrested and you think the Projo shouldn't write a story? Have a clue.
Agreed, there have been a lot of disappointing posts in this thread. It's OK to take off the Keaney colored glasses once in a while.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

So whats the reality here? Coach Ty gets a few games suspension, the player too (depending on the charges) and the season goes on as normal.
1 x
GO RAMS
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

There's a best-case and worst-case scenario. Boswell's charges are minor; if I was him I'd fear my boss more than the cops at this point.
If the player is also charged with a misdemeanor then he'll probably be suspended for a few games. But if he's charged with felony assault on a cop ... that wouldn't be good.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That player would be gone if that happened.

Hopefully best case scenario all around.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:
reading comprehension must not be a strong point.

I was calling out the freaking out because it was 2nd page in the main section and not just on the sports page.

Take your own advice and get a clue
0 x
---
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It's a news story, not a sports story. The Projo did its job correctly.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

It is probably a nothingburger story without the coach being involved. That's what makes it a news story. Just wish that the local paper would have more details.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
reading comprehension must not be a strong point.

I was calling out the freaking out because it was 2nd page in the main section and not just on the sports page.
Da Process - "like we didn't expect the PC Journal to pass up a chance to run with something negative about URI."
Let's vote on how you would "comprehend" that:
A) He is critical of the paper for running an article on URI Ast Coach being arrested.
B) He is critical of the paper having the article on the 2nd page of the main section and not on the sports page.

I vote A. My reading comprehension interprets "a chance to RUN something.." to mean running the article or publishing the article. Not where the article is in the paper.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

God damn it this was not the news I wanted to start my day off with !!
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

As much as we all like info, the story as published so far leaves lots of vastly different possibilities. It could be that the player saying his arm and accidentally struck the officer, which is why no charges have been filed. Then the coach jumped in trying to help, and overreacted when he was arrested. This would probably readily in the case being filed for six months or a year, with the charges dropped if there are no further incidents.

If it's something worse, we'll all know soon enough.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote:God damn it this was not the news I wanted to start my day off with !!
reef, you are my hero for having just started your day!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bigsnoop wrote:As much as we all like info, the story as published so far leaves lots of vastly different possibilities. It could be that the player saying his arm and accidentally struck the officer, which is why no charges have been filed. Then the coach jumped in trying to help, and overreacted when he was arrested. This would probably readily in the case being filed for six months or a year, with the charges dropped if there are no further incidents.

I think this is pretty spot on. My only concern here is that if it is the former, more benign scenario, that the adults involved (particularly in the SKPD) can do the right thing and not play this up for reasons that have much more to do with seeking attention for themselves than with fairness.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
NRF I know you are knowledgeable on recruiting. Not sure why you feel you know more than others about this situation. Stating everything on here is false comes across as an emotional Rhody fan. .
What I have said and what I continue to say is that there's more to the story than what is being reported. I'm not going to share what I've been told because this isn't the place.

Well. it's a drag you won't be commenting further, because what this board REALLY needs more of is, more people coming on to say, "I know more, but I'm not tellin'"...because that is really helpful and entertaining at the same time.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
NRF I know you are knowledgeable on recruiting. Not sure why you feel you know more than others about this situation. Stating everything on here is false comes across as an emotional Rhody fan. .
What I have said and what I continue to say is that there's more to the story than what is being reported. I'm not going to share what I've been told because this isn't the place.

Well. it's a drag you won't be commenting further, because what this board REALLY needs more of is, more people coming on to say, "I know more, but I'm not tellin'"...because that is really helpful and entertaining at the same time.
There are 80 'guests' currently reading this forum. These are not URI fans. Who knows who they might be? But I agree that this is not the place for details or for names. The legal process must play out. Hopefully they get to the truth. All we can say is there's more to the story, which unfortunately cannot be discussed here.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

There are 80 'guests' currently reading this forum. These are not URI fans. Who knows who they might be? But I agree that this is not the place for details or for names. The legal process must play out. Hopefully they get to the truth. All we can say is there's more to the story, which unfortunately cannot be discussed here.
I guess I agree...what I'm saying is, we need to have more and more people coming on here to SAY, "I know more, but I'm not telling" To see people post this (the fact that they know more and ain't tellin') is very useful and entertaining...a great informative value add for content here. So, folks, if you know something and can't say, PLEASE keep posting that (and don't forget to say, you "can't say") :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Bigsnoop wrote:As much as we all like info, the story as published so far leaves lots of vastly different possibilities. It could be that the player saying his arm and accidentally struck the officer, which is why no charges have been filed. Then the coach jumped in trying to help, and overreacted when he was arrested. This would probably readily in the case being filed for six months or a year, with the charges dropped if there are no further incidents.

I think this is pretty spot on. My only concern here is that if it is the former, more benign scenario, that the adults involved (particularly in the SKPD) can do the right thing and not play this up for reasons that have much more to do with seeking attention for themselves than with fairness.
You want to talk about fairness? How about stopping taking veiled shots at a group of people you don't know.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

You want to talk about fairness? How about stopping taking veiled shots at a group of people you don't know.
Are you directing that at me? And if you are, who/what are you referring to?
0 x