WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Went and checked this 2nd PC Message Board. Don't know when, or why PC broke into two different message boards

If my memory serves me right, there was a dispute between some posters and the moderators of the PC Scout board. These posters then started their own forum. It however does not get as much traffic as Scout.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I've deleted a post that doesn't contribute to this thread and only begs for a response from PC fans. We don't need that again.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree I don't like when people post stuff that may or may not be 100 % true
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I removed since Times now shows the article.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 0b1d2.html

The Narragansett Times has updated their website with the article that was mentioned earlier today, in which the player's name was mentioned.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's too bad that the name came out, especially if he doesn't end up being charged.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yeah, from where they are I still think they march forward.

Now is the time to engage all that talk they have been putting out there over the years. Small circle. Focus on what you're doing and maximizing your potential.

Going to concerts is cool and events are fun but this team can only miss out on themselves and the things they can accomplish. Missing a concert or things that tend to invite controversy doesn't matter right now.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I saw the article in my paper version. if the kid messed up he messed up it's not the end of the world. Things like this just can't be covered up like the old days so his name came out. But there's no need to make a big deal out of it best I can tell. The kid needs to be dealt with appropriately and hopefully privately and everyone can move on and talk about something else
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

And BTW I don't think the coaches should shelter them either. They should be exposed to life like all kids with all the potential pitfalls
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Nothing good ever happens after midnight....oh wait when I was at URI a lot of good happened after midnight...nm
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I was happy to see Stan at Appreciation Night. Here's hoping he won't have any problems going forward.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on players focus on the task at hand. This is an unfortunate situation hopefully DH addresses it and stresses to the team to avoid potential dangerous situations
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rhody1992 »

Police report up on the secondary Friars board... here's the link

http://friartownhoops.proboards.com/thr ... ted?page=2

Police report does indeed say Stanford Robinson assaulted a cop. Have to imagine something will be done by DH right?
0 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

You can't view the images if you don't have an account so I uploaded them to imgur... here's the link to that

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody1992 wrote:Police report up on the secondary Friars board... here's the link

Police report does indeed say Stanford Robinson assaulted a cop. Have to imagine something will be done by DH right?
no it doesnt.

It mentions Robinson as being involved in an argument/potential fight in the restroom (and the source of the initial disturbance) and needing to be restrained once out of the restroom and in the hallway. Makes no mention of Stan assaulting an officer.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

It almost seems that if they followed the SK officers command to disperse, it may have ended there, if they complied. ....How unfortunate !
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Can always count on Friar fans being super interested in URI hoops despite many saying they are indifferent to it. Interesting to note the person that posted this on that Friar site has only ever posted there twice. Both were in the URI Boswell thread. Odd that he/she never once chose to express support for PC hoops but felt the need to post the police report about an incident at URI.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The whole thing seems silly after reading that... nowhere does it say stan was actually fighting and hitting someone or anyone was in danger?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:The whole thing seems silly after reading that... nowhere does it say stan was actually fighting and hitting someone or anyone was in danger?
like i said back on page 1...drunk people doing dumb drunk things. nothing more than a simple disturbing the peace and a little extra to Boswell for mouthing off/making a scene
0 x
---
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Based on the behavior detailed in the police report filed by Officer David Marler, it does not reflect well on either Boswell or Robinson. It will be interesting to get the perspective of others. I would think this will also be key to how all this proceeds with respect to further charges and disciplinary actions by URI..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody1992 wrote:Police report up on the secondary Friars board... here's the link

and exactly where does it say that?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Can always count on Friar fans being super interested in URI hoops despite many saying they are indifferent to it. Interesting to note the person that posted this on that Friar site has only ever posted there twice. Both were in the URI Boswell thread. Odd that he/she never once chose to express support for PC hoops but felt the need to post the police report about an incident at URI.
This is the group that broke off from the PC Board to start their own. I'm not sure this would have been allowed up on the main PC Board moderated by Richard Coren. Don't think a PC Board should be this interested in something that is going to not end up such a bid deal at the end of the day anyway.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote:

Make sure you read the whole thing. It says it in the last paragraph of page 2.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Bos8 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Make sure you read the whole thing. It says it in the last paragraph of page 2.
2 +2 isnt equaling 4...

So Boswell gets arrested for yelling at a cop, but Stan hits one and doesnt get arrested? Suuuuure, and I have a bridge to sell you in NY.

the 'struck in the face' is almost certainly unintentional side effect of the officer having to insert himself between a fight. if it was deemed intentional in ANY way Stan walks out in cuffs same as Boswell.

The wording says the same thing. the report says 'struck officer', not 'assaulted officer' they would've used assaulted if it was intentional.

like i said before..nothing more than 1, maybe 2 game suspension for Stan
1 x
---
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:

Key point - Officer Marler may not have actually witnessed "said" assault based on his wording. This is the section of the police report which referred to it:

While outside, I was informed that the involved parties were all part of the URI basketball team and that they had been involved in the earlier disturbance in which Ofc. Martin had been assaulted when Robinson struck him in the face

His comments might just be hearsay at this point unless someone that witnessed the "said" assault comes forward with more factual information (such as Ofc. Martin). This may explain why no charges have been filed yet against Stanford Robinson. I would think something more than Marler's police report will be needed to justify assault charges.

Boswell will appear in 4th District Court in Wakefield at 9am this Thursday 09/28/17. We will likely learn a little bit more then.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

cops often lie to make their story. I have seen it before, and I am sure some of you have as well.
2 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

resisting arrest could be telling a cop they suck. often overblown
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Well, at least we don't have to worry about Boswell losing his job as a coach since he's really a janitor.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

Iggy1979 wrote:Well, at least we don't have to worry about Boswell losing his job as a coach since he's really a janitor.
LOL :lol: I was dying laughing when I read that he said that in the report
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

so...I guess it's up to me.... "I know a lot more about this incident, but I don't think it's appropriate to share here..."
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Boswell's reputed lack of cooperation, choice of words, and lying is not a good look. Per the police report, it would seem he could have handled himself and the situation better.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

yeah sometimes ego gets the best of us
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Funny how only a URI coach and a URI player were 'identified'. It takes two to tango, as the saying goes.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Can always count on Friar fans being super interested in URI hoops despite many saying they are indifferent to it. Interesting to note the person that posted this on that Friar site has only ever posted there twice. Both were in the URI Boswell thread. Odd that he/she never once chose to express support for PC hoops but felt the need to post the police report about an incident at URI.
The poster that shared this here is also the same poster that came on here pretending to be a URI fan, was exposed as a PC fan thru his trolling of a recruiting thread and was promptly put on timeout. Apparently his timeout is over. I'm not going to ban someone for posting a copy of a police report that I don't have any reason to suspect isn't real, but this poster has a very, very short leash or they will be gone permanently.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Based on the behavior detailed in the police report filed by Officer David Marler, it does not reflect well on either Boswell or Robinson. It will be interesting to get the perspective of others. I would think this will also be key to how all this proceeds with respect to further charges and disciplinary actions by URI..
In fairness, when has the behavior detailed in a police report ever really reflect well on its subject? That is how they write them by design.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm pretty sure Stan's fight wasn't solely with a bathroom stall. There might have been other human(s) involved. Have the police tried to 'identify' anyone else?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm pretty sure Stan's fight wasn't solely with a bathroom stall. There might have been other human(s) involved. Have the police tried to 'identify' anyone else?
When told to break it up and disperse, the other people involved did. Cops don't ID them in the report because they don't know who they are. If everyone had followed the police instructions no one would've gotten arrested.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

"This is some petty shit"... pretty much sums the whole thing up.
2 x
Rhody1992
Marc Upshaw

TruePoint wrote:
The poster that shared this here is also the same poster that came on here pretending to be a URI fan, was exposed as a PC fan thru his trolling of a recruiting thread and was promptly put on timeout. Apparently his timeout is over. I'm not going to ban someone for posting a copy of a police report that I don't have any reason to suspect isn't real, but this poster has a very, very short leash or they will be gone permanently.

I'm on a short leash... I posted a copy of the police report, nothing more. I'm not "trolling" at all. I saw it as a piece of information not yet posted. If that warrants your kind of response you need to lighten up. I took my timeout, I'm back and will abide by the rules of the board.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

If Boswell acted the way the police report was written I would can him. I have no tolerance for that with someone who is in a position of authority over these kids.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is no way to respect authorities. Boswell should at least stay suspended for awhile and I think DH should suspend Stan for a couple of games
This is not how I want my favorite team to be acting and DH can't just do nothing or another incident can happen . He needs to set the tone that we should be model citizens on and off the court
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We have only heard the cop's side of the story.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Having read lots of police reports in the past, this one is like a novel. That's indicative of grasping at straws to justify the "arrest" which probably should not have happened. I agree it seems like petty shit. Oh well, it happened.
4 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Get drunk and disorderly in a public space.

Draw police attention

Don't listen to cop commands to calm down and disperse.

Continue to act up and defy authority

Amazing how people can complain about someone getting arrested if the above is true. I guarantee the cops don't want to deal with the BS of arresting someone and paper work involved.

It's not like Boswell is some 18 yr old kid from a poor family whos been told by his mother all his life how Cops want nothing more to arrest him and throw him in jail for no reason just like what happened to his pops . He's a professional coach who is supposed to be leading student athletes. Man is nearly 40 years old yet it sounds like he acted more immaturely then most 19 yr olds in this situation. I mean, lying about his profession? wtf?
Last edited by EGram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Let's try not to blame the police. Both Ty and Stan were given a chance to stop and walk away and they didn't. Boswell's behavior became worse after that.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

BTW, Ty's home address is on the report. That probably should be blocked out.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I would tell everyone the address, but I don't think that's appropriate to share here :lol: :lol:
0 x
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

After reading the report I had the opportunity to talk to a few members of the SK police community. When asking about the officer involved, the reaction I had is that he is one that likes to be in the limelight and makes a very high amount of arrests.
Has he ever seen a basketball team. They are big athletic looking guys. They are in a men's room that is not that big trying to calm down a teammate and he walks in after a fight and sees a number of young very large men all trying to calm a teammate. This is after the fight is over. No one is fighting at the time. It takes two to fight and only one group was in the men's room. Maybe he should have reacted a little differently. Boswell should have shown more respect for the uniform but did he meet up with someone who maybe didn't really check what was happening when he came upon the scene. Did both men over react?
Please understand that I am considered a very pro- police person.
4 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

rhodywins wrote:After reading the report I had the opportunity to talk to a few members of the SK police community. When asking about the officer involved, the reaction I had is that he is one that likes to be in the limelight and makes a very high amount of arrests.
Has he ever seen a basketball team. They are big athletic looking guys. They are in a men's room that is not that big trying to calm down a teammate and he walks in after a fight and sees a number of young very large men all trying to calm a teammate. This is after the fight is over. No one is fighting at the time. It takes two to fight and only one group was in the men's room. Maybe he should have reacted a little differently. Boswell should have shown more respect for the uniform but did he meet up with someone who maybe didn't really check what was happening when he came upon the scene. Did both men over react?
Please understand that I am considered a very pro- police person.
This post is spot on; I’ve done the same and many members of the SKPD that I spoke with said “hero” cop, many of the articles I found on Officer Marler have been publications on him giving back or “big” arrests for the South County area... I’m not backing the “fact” that Coach Boswell said he was a janitor or that he could’ve been more adult-like based off this report but again this is only from one side... the arresting officer’s.

I’m not entirely confident that this officer is giving the entire story...
3 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I have good knowledge of the incidents that lead to the team being in the bathroom at the concert.

There was an altercation at the concert between the basketball team and another group of men at the concert. The basketball team left the altercation and gathered in bathroom to avoid further conflict. I am high school teacher and had several students at the concert who all gave me the same report. As my students saw the team leave the floor one can only assume Coach Boswell saw the team leave also. Other wise how would he have ended up in that bathroom from the box seats. And as I read in the report Stan was upset about the incident and was angry in the bathroom. Why would a coach be there in the middle of all this. Maybe because his basketball family was in trouble. Think he was there telling the players to go out and fight. probably not. my guess is Stan get a hold of yourself. not worth it. so forth. Seems to me according to the report URI police were trying to disperse and not arrest. Officer Marler comes in late to the seen and makes arrest. Says he has trouble arresting Boswell so URI officer comes to his aid then lets go. I'm sure it very common to help an officer then leave him. Why did that officer stop helping office Marler? My guess not to comfortable with what was taking place. And you hear an officer was struck, not a lawyer but not sure how that stands in court.

my brother is a former police officer and I have the upmost respect for the men and women in blue. And I know its tough to judge when you are not there yourself. But a quick google search of officer Marler comes up with this. (IT WONT LET ME CUT AND PASTE)

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 60e15.html

Officer Marler gets in a physical arrest with a 60 special needs man which he slaps glasses off a face and maces as well as three close fists punches and a taser. This is after the neighbor tells you the man is special needs. In which you tell him not to do anything STUPID. By the way the offense is a speeding ticket. In which you find the man parked in this own driveway.
2 x