WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Take longer than weeks? What kind of crime are we talking about?

I don't know the statistics but I would guess that 99% of arrests occur at or right after the crime took place.

This isn't a RICO. A scuffle in a bathroom being investigated? Is there a victim?

The guy already arrested (Boswell) has next to nothing charges. How could the guy not arrested have anything worse?

It is a waste of the court and law enforcement's time to look into this any further than to have Boswell fork over some cash and community service.

There have been two shootings outside courthouses in Providence this year but there is a months long investigation into a bathroom fight at a concert? come on.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Okay lets say there is an arrest of a certain player -

That player has been involved in all team activities (pictures, etc) since the incident. The team is aware of what happened, no? What information should come to light that the team wouldn't be aware of currently? If nothing, then I'd think some sort of suspension would occur prior to the arrest. Am I off here?
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Section104 wrote:Okay lets say there is an arrest of a certain player -

That player has been involved in all team activities (pictures, etc) since the incident. The team is aware of what happened, no? What information should come to light that the team wouldn't be aware of currently? If nothing, then I'd think some sort of suspension would occur prior to the arrest. Am I off here?
I would think an announcement of a suspension only draws more attention and suspicion to that player and the event. Since a player can still practice and participate in team events even if suspended, I don't think there is a rush to make the final determination at this time. I think the right approach is to sit back and wait to see if anything new comes out, and make a determination from there. Think Hurley has handled everything the right way, there has been no premature actions, jumping to conclusions, etc. Let the process play, see where the chips fall, still 6 weeks to sort it all out.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I feel like people saying that if there has been no arrest so far, there won't be one aren't that familiar with these kinds of investigations. In one sense, the longer it goes could mean it's a more serious charge or they're going after the charge more seriously - if they are lining up witnesses and taking statements, those things take time. Of course, the time that passes doesn't necessarily mean that charges will be forthcoming, because the witnesses could not give testimony that supports the charge they are going for. Or a million other things could be going on behind the scenes. Not really possible to say; the process is opaque by design. But no charges after a week or two does not necessarily mean you're out of the woods. And likely, if he is ever notified that he is out of the woods, the public won't be privy to that. I doubt the player will make any kind of statement acknowledging what happened, and I'm sure the team and school won't.
Yeah but on Law & Order these things usually get wrapped up pretty quickly!
Very good point. I've noticed that most arrests and trials only last an hour......and that's with 20 minutes of commercials.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Take longer than weeks? What kind of crime are we talking about?

I don't know the statistics but I would guess that 99% of arrests occur at or right after the crime took place.

This isn't a RICO. A scuffle in a bathroom being investigated? Is there a victim?

The guy already arrested (Boswell) has next to nothing charges. How could the guy not arrested have anything worse?

It is a waste of the court and law enforcement's time to look into this any further than to have Boswell fork over some cash and community service.

There have been two shootings outside courthouses in Providence this year but there is a months long investigation into a bathroom fight at a concert? come on.
Man, I don't know what to tell you. I tried to explain this in my post. If they're trying to bring felony charges for assaulting an officer and are worried about being able to get a conviction based on a he-said/she-said between the cop and the accused, then they need to find and interview witnesses, subpoena security video, work with the prosecutors who could be on vacation, etc. I mean there are a million things that could cause this kind of moderate "delay." Or, they could not be planning to bring more serious charges. Or they could be negotiating with the accused's attorney. Or they could be having internal debates about how to proceed. Or they could have had trouble getting witnesses scheduled for interviews, or not liked what they heard when they did interview them. It's literally impossible to know. Might as well just forget about it until we hear more. To my knowledge, the player has not been suspended from the team at this point, so nothing doing for now.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Could be looking at any video, identifying people who witnessed the events and the interviewing them. I think this is all about the first interaction (and not the bathroom incident) when the player allegedly struck an officer.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Rhody83 wrote:
EGram wrote:IF the Police were going to make any more arrests they would have happened by now. No need to worry about players getting arrested at this point.

The hearings will likely get continued perhaps a couple more times while they hash something out between the lawyers. Eventually Ty will get a small fine and some community service and it will be over.
EGram are you the District Attorney and the Judge in SK :shock:

naaa, but I do have a friend who worked in the PD office in Kent County for a while.

Also, As I mentioned above my goof ball friend did even more illegal stuff (but it was was similar) in a very similar situation at a Dropick Muphys concert he attended at Lupos. We are talking, assault on police,trespassing,drunk and disorderly.. (When I was walking in the concert I was him getting pushed outby bouncer/cops for supposedly hitting girl in a msh pit. Granted I would be willing to bet it was super accidental or ore likely a case of mistaken identity.

He refuse to leave and I had to spend 20mins restraining him using wrestling holds. Until, he slipped me just as a door was open...

He got 100hrs com service and a few 100sbuck fine.

Now, none of this means that SR is 100% not going tobearrested, or SK cops won't throw the book at Boswell. But I think most likely each day that goes by with no news the chances of additional arrests.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know what you mean by throwing the book at Boswell. He's already been charged.
1 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

You guys are way to quick to pass judgment, there are always three sides to a story. We do understand that all police officers aren't good, this story has gotten way out of control with so many "professionals" passing judgement. Whatever happen to giving people the benefit of the doubt, or innocent until proven guilty. You guys read a report and instantly he's guilty, I will say he should not have use the language the he used. But lets say if the player did get arrested what would DH done to the player, to me he saved us from losing a player for a few games and put his own ass on the line.
Last edited by Rhodymadness401 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There's a lot more to this story that just can't be shared right now. Be patient, folks.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

No book is being thrown at anyone, Boswell changed legal counsel as Bill Koch reported. Many times the new counsel will request an extension of the arraignment so that they can review the facts of the case, meet with the prosecution and get a feel for where this is going to go. Boswell apparently isn’t joking as he’s hired the best defense firm in RI...
1 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

NorthernRamFan wrote:No book is being thrown at anyone, Boswell changed legal counsel as Bill Koch reported. Many times the new counsel will request an extension of the arraignment so that they can review the facts of the case, meet with the prosecution and get a feel for where this is going to go. Boswell apparently isn’t joking as he’s hired the best defense firm in RI...

Looks like he has the best firm in RI as well as one of the best firms in Mass. This is a true testament of someone who is not letting things just spill over.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not saying these guys aren't good lawyers, but I'm not sure what criteria you guys are using to say that these are the best firms in MA and RI. Considering Boswell isn't facing serious charges, they are more than capable.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Boswell should just hire all attorneys related to the judges in South County. That's how RI works.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

theblueram wrote:Boswell should just hire all attorneys related to the judges in South County. That's how RI works.
Don't you know it blueram......
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

I usually watch 10 news, but had 12 on last night and heard this update:

http://wpri.com/2017/10/04/uri-basketba ... r-scuffle/
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Court for Ty today......hopefully things will be resolved and no more issues going forward.....and no news is good news when it comes to another possible arrest....let's hope that dies on the vine also.

That "update" says nothing new.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Paleoguy wrote:I usually watch 10 news, but had 12 on last night and heard this update:

http://wpri.com/2017/10/04/uri-basketba ... r-scuffle/
Another nothing report.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing they settle this somehow before any trial.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Taylor Swift wrote:

I get Bill has a job, but I get the vibe he isn’t a fan of Boswell... Koch can’t be trusted to keep anything hush hush IMHO
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:

I get Bill has a job, but I get the vibe he isn’t a fan of Boswell... Koch can’t be trusted to keep anything hush hush IMHO
Why would he keep it hush hush? He’s a journalist. His job is to report the news.
4 x
Common sense is not common.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Taylor Swift wrote:

I don't understand what he is supposed to do here. Pretend that the guy didn't have a court date? I will bang on local media for being unfair to URI, maybe even too much sometimes, but you can't expect a serious reporter to carry water for you to the point of ignoring actual news that people can find out about anyways.
4 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

My job here is actually quite simple -- to report on the story to its conclusion, whatever that might be. For right now, that includes an arrest, a placement on administrative leave and a not guilty plea.
And I'd very much like it if Coach Boswell speaks publicly on the matter when he is able to do so. I understand why that isn't the case right now. But I will certainly give him that opportunity and afford it the same amount of coverage when this is eventually resolved.
14 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm guessing they settle this somehow before any trial.
I've been the court reporter in Newport for more than a year now, and I think they've probably had less than 10 actual criminal trials in that time frame. So, that's a safe assumption. Usually for something like this, unless someone has a bunch of priors or its a felony, it's typically a no contest plea and the charge is filed for a year - meaning no probation or suspended sentence unless there is another, separate arrest in a year. Something like 5 to 25 hours of community service, and/or anger management counseling and/or a $50 to $500 contribution to the Violent Crimes Indemnity Fund, could also be in play. Sometimes, a case will be outright dismissed if the latter occurs (community service, VCIF contribution).
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bill Koch wrote:My job here is actually quite simple -- to report on the story to its conclusion, whatever that might be. For right now, that includes an arrest, a placement on administrative leave and a not guilty plea.
And I'd very much like it if Coach Boswell speaks publicly on the matter when he is able to do so. I understand why that isn't the case right now. But I will certainly give him that opportunity and afford it the same amount of coverage when this is eventually resolved.
Is the administrative leave indefinite, is he already back, or does he have a set return date?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

This entire “story” has led to a coach trying to get his player out of harms way, whether it’s the harm of himself or to others, and because a cop was apparently looking to lock someone up Coach Boswell is now being run through all this crap. Very unfortunate...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Bill Koch wrote:My job here is actually quite simple -- to report on the story to its conclusion, whatever that might be. For right now, that includes an arrest, a placement on administrative leave and a not guilty plea.
Is the administrative leave indefinite, is he already back, or does he have a set return date?
And what is the status of another possible arrest?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NorthernRamFan wrote:This entire “story” has led to a coach trying to get his player out of harms way, whether it’s the harm of himself or to others, and because a cop was apparently looking to lock someone up Coach Boswell is now being run through all this crap. Very unfortunate...
Boswell couldn’t have handled the situation in any other way, eh??
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It seems like the SKPD could have let this die....but it's clear they're not.....I'm sure Ty regrets it now, but the horse has left the barn.

Just hope there are no charges to a specific person.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I canceled my Providence Journal subscription because I wasn't reading it as often or getting the chance to read it as often as I would like.

I wish I told them the reason was that Bill Koch didn't think Tom Brady was the greatest quarterback of all time.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

There's no way he thinks that. Did he say that? If he did he is trolling. That's not a reasonable take at this point.

As far as Boswell, I wouldn't say he couldn't have handled it any other way. I'm sure given the benefit of hindsight he may do some things differently. But we don't live in hindsight, and in realtime you make choices. I don't think his was the worst. His heart was in the right place trying to keep his guys out of the fire. So I don't fault him too much and it does feel like the SKPD is doing the typical unreasonable cop thing. The goal in showing up at the scene was to disperse the crowd. Mission accomplished. What was the point in even making the initial arrest, never mind pursuing charges, other than being a hardo? This wasn't domestic violence, sexual assault, armed robbery, breaking and entering, etc. It was making some racket at a concert. I get wanting to break it up, but pursuing charges is small-time petty garbage.

Having said that, you can't fault the media for covering the story as long as they do it in a fair way.
7 x
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Billy boy has a job to do I agree, but what your doing is continuing to shed light on a mute situation that is not worthy. Shed light on the the fact that only (1) person was arrested from the entire night and he happened to be African American. Do your journlist do dillegence and track the story in its entirety, check to arresting officers arrest history, most recently being up a 60 year old special needs man.

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 60e15.html

Have a great day.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymadness401 wrote:Billy boy has a job to do I agree, but what your doing is continuing to shed light on a mute situation that is not worthy. Shed light on the the fact that only (1) person was arrested from the entire night and he happened to be African American. Do your journlist do dillegence and track the story in its entirety, check to arresting officers arrest history, most recently being up a 60 year old special needs man.

http://www.ricentral.com/narragansett_t ... 60e15.html

Have a great day.
It's not a moot story, as long as the court case is active. Leave Koch alone; he's not a cheerleader, he's only doing his job. If there is a case of malfeasance, it would go to a news reporter since the story would shift to the police. However, as far as I can see, the only allegations are from biased URI fans, not exactly a good reason to expend limited resources.
Last edited by Rhody74 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We've talked about the officer's questionable history here. I'm not sure it is the sports reporter's job to do all of that and get into the larger social context of the arrest. Ideally, the journal would have someone on that beat, too, but Bill has always played it pretty much straight down the middle. Just the facts.

Also, its "moot," not mute. FWIW.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All this controversy over a URI janitor getting arrested!
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Soundless story! I concur!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to use the mute button on this story.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I canceled my Providence Journal subscription because I wasn't reading it as often or getting the chance to read it as often as I would like.

I wish I told them the reason was that Bill Koch didn't think Tom Brady was the greatest quarterback of all time.
He's not the greatest QB of all time. Plus one for Bill.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URI96 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I canceled my Providence Journal subscription because I wasn't reading it as often or getting the chance to read it as often as I would like.

He's not the greatest QB of all time. Plus one for Bill.
All evidence shows Brady is the G.O.A.T...(coming from a Green Bay fan)..but that's for a different thread.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The suggestion that Brady is not the best QB of all-time is an unserious shock-jock hot take.
4 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I hate the Patriots more than any other sports team except for PC.

Belichick is an asshole, but a brilliant coach.

Brady is the douchiest human being alive and I can't stand looking at his face. He is also the greatest QB of all time.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sf2010 wrote:Brady is the douchiest human being alive and I can't stand looking at his face. He is also the greatest QB of all time.
Please, now that Cutler is on the Dolphins Brady isn't even the douchiest qb in the division, let alone human being
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Brady is the douchiest human being alive and I can't stand looking at his face. He is also the greatest QB of all time.
Please, now that Cutler is on the Dolphins Brady isn't even the douchiest qb in the division, let alone human being
Lol Cutler gives him a run for his money, but the Uggs. And the cookbook. It's all too much.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Let's be real here. Tom is not strutting around in the Basic B*tch UGG boots and a North Face Fleece. He's wearing legitimate manly UGGS. You also cannot deny the comfort of those slippers.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I have the slippers - two pair, actually - and they are the absolute best things I've ever put on my feet.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We've gone from Ty to Uggs......interesting.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Completely off topic.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

True we have veered off-topic but Dumb Brady Takes (TM) cannot stand. I will move what needs to be moved soon.
1 x