WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: WPRI-Ty Boswell arrested-Player also involved

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Ugh

Just when things were going our way
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea why did this take so long to leak?
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Yea why did this take so long to leak?
That's my biggest reason for the yawn reaction.

If this was any kind of big deal it would've broken that night. The fact that it's over a week later and details are only trickling out speaks volumes.

Reads like simply a drunk kid did dumb drunk kid things.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Arrest happened after midnight; media didn't pick up on it over the weekend
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Depends on how the cops wanna respond.

BTW, why are they not mentioning the players name? he is an adult accused of a crime after all..

They could throw the book at him, dmg to property, resisting arrest, obstructing justice, assaulting a
police officer.... def could really screw this player if they wanted from the sounds of it.

My friend had something similar happen at a Dropkick Murphy concert at Lupos. He got off with like a 100 fine. I'd say a result like that is ore likely but there always the chance they the book at him and some kid gets suspended for a semester or two.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I've seen police throw tons of stuff on a police report that was like not even close. Not out of the ordinary.

They just drop the stuff.

Yea exactly. Clean record. Fine them. Community service because they have a public profile.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm going to withhold comment since I don't know enough specifics to fire off a blazing hot take, but I will say that my view of police doesn't give me a ton of confidence that they approach a situation like this by attempting to de-escalate rather than escalate. If this ends up being something and we take the PR hit and have to deal with suspensions or worse, I really hope we don't learn later that some hero cop came in itching for a confrontation. If our people were in the wrong, so be it. We'll have to live with the consequences. But generally I think our kids are good kids and unlikely to be caught up in something like this. Very disappointing to have this situation, whatever the actual story ends up being.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Iggy1979 wrote:Arrest happened after midnight; media didn't pick up on it over the weekend
Because there was nothing juicy there.

If it bleeds it leads is the golden rule. If this "bled" it would've broken open Friday
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Is this one of the players expected to be a major contributor? Not good regardless, but losing a top 7 guy would be a huge blow if they got kicked off the team.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My guess is when the Projo gets the police report tomorrow or the next day, a name will come out.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So thinking about it some more, if the player was named in the report you'd have to think the news would have mentioned the player along with Boswell, no reason to withhold it, right? And it's odd that someone who hit an officer wouldn't have been arrested on the spot. But police anticipate more charges.

Maybe this is a situation where they don't know who hit the officer? Crowded bathroom with a fight taking place, chaotic scene, maybe they didn't see who did it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote:My guess is when the Projo gets the police report tomorrow or the next day, a name will come out.
Channel 12 has the police report and they didn't name the player
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Can somebody just name the player or at least PM the fans that want to know but won't say anything like me.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ yes, just pm everyone the name and everyone promise not to tell :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Let's not name names of innocent people... not arrested, not public. I'm sure it will be out soon if there is substance to it.

I thought the Migos concert would be a good thing for the school, program, and recruiting. Damn.
2 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Wow, really poor timing. Also, this doesn't seem at all like the culture of URI basketball in recent years, what gives?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Player will be arrested. Many times the arrest doesn't occur until after the investigation is completed. Report that he struck an officer in the face. Not sure if it was accidental or intentional. I agree the player shouldn't be named here.

Ty and Eric are at the concert with the players to make sure they don't get in any trouble. He failed miserably.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: Ty and Eric are at the concert with the players to make sure they don't get in any trouble. He failed miserably.
It is hard to imagine a worse fail for that objective.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote:Player will be arrested. Many times the arrest doesn't occur until after the investigation is completed. Report that he struck an officer in the face. Not sure if it was accidental or intentional. I agree the player shouldn't be named here.

Ty and Eric are at the concert with the players to make sure they don't get in any trouble. He failed miserably.
Understatement of the year right there..
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

ProJo article mentions a fight involving players in the men's room and nothing about a player hitting a policeman.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote:ProJo article mentions a fight involving players in the men's room and nothing about a player hitting a policeman.
Watch the video associated with the article.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Maybe it was a Recruit and he's too young to be mentioned.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It is not a recruit.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

well who is it
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Just googled "Migos" .... going to this concert alone should be an arrestable offence, what $hit "music" kids listen to today.. oooof.
7 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Given these Migos guys reputation and previous problems at their concerts i am surprised the team would not strongly encourage players not to attend at the very least.

If nothing else it seems a total failure of the team administration.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

My guess is the player is one of the more significant ones, and that is purely a guess with no inside knowledge.

My gut is saying it's one of two guys...
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EGram wrote:Given these Migos guys reputation and previous problems at their concerts i am surprised the team would not strongly encourage players not to attend at the very least.

You have to let kids be kids. Migos is the biggest thing is rap right now, I'm sure a lot of the players went. Ty and Eric were there make sure nothing went down, and 100% failed.
2 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:
EGram wrote:Given these Migos guys reputation and previous problems at their concerts i am surprised the team would not strongly encourage players not to attend at the very least.

You have to let kids be kids. Migos is the biggest thing is rap right now, I'm sure a lot of the players went. Ty and Eric were there make sure nothing went down, and 100% failed.
Any other coaches or staff there with them?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Are they sure it wasn't a PC player that hit a cop?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Shinze88 wrote:Just googled "Migos" .... going to this concert alone should be an arrestable offence, what $hit "music" kids listen to today.. oooof.
I grew up on hip hop, and this trap music bullshit is intolerable.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The team had a suite. Ty and Eric were with them in the suite. No bathrooms in the suites.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Upcoming tour stops include Vanderbilt and Australia
http://www.migostourdates.com/

http://rhodycigar.com/2017/09/14/migos-preview/
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:The team had a suite. Ty and Eric were with them in the suite. No bathrooms in the suites.
The players were down on the floor. Not in the suite. Don't spread false information...
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:The team had a suite. Ty and Eric were with them in the suite. No bathrooms in the suites.
The players were down on the floor. Not in the suite. Don't spread false information...
They may have been on the floor. They were in the bathroom too. The team had a suite.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

For some reason incidents like these always make me wonder if a school can give players say i7 desktops with rx 580s as ya know, like, educational machines. Maybe with an VR headset for more interactive educational experiences.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Every little thing stated here has been bullshit, pardon my language, but this is small. Almost not mentionable. I can only imagine that the staff is pissed about the "rumors" that will fly, but there's very little truth to what's on this board right now. I refuse to say exactly what I know, but if it was a fireable offense people would've been fired or if a kid was going to get suspended he would've been. All of this is being blown completely out of proportion.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Every little thing stated here has been bullshit, pardon my language, but this is small. Almost not mentionable. I can only imagine that the staff is pissed about the "rumors" that will fly, but there's very little truth to what's on this board right now. I refuse to say exactly what I know, but if it was a fireable offense people would've been fired or if a kid was going to get suspended he would've been. All of this is being blown completely out of proportion.
What's different about what I'm reading on the board vs what's in the WPRI news release?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:Every little thing stated here has been bullshit, pardon my language, but this is small. Almost not mentionable. I can only imagine that the staff is pissed about the "rumors" that will fly, but there's very little truth to what's on this board right now. I refuse to say exactly what I know, but if it was a fireable offense people would've been fired or if a kid was going to get suspended he would've been. All of this is being blown completely out of proportion.
What's different about what I'm reading on the board vs what's in the WPRI news release?
That's to come to light when the time is right. This is the problem with a message board, only drama. Why cast a stone when you don't know what factual took place?
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
That's to come to light when the time is right. This is the problem with a message board, only drama. Why cast a stone when you don't know what factual took place?
I hear you on not jumping the gun, but in defense of this being a topic of conversation it is being picked up by both local and national news organizations and Ty Boswell has apparently been put on administrative leave. Obviously there is at least a PR issue here with the media coverage and seemingly at least some degree of an actual issue if an assistant coach is put on administrative leave, which is like employment purgatory.
3 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
I hear you on not jumping the gun, but in defense of this being a topic of conversation it is being picked up by both local and national news organizations and Ty Boswell has apparently been put on administrative leave. Obviously there is at least a PR issue here with the media coverage and seemingly at least some degree of an actual issue if an assistant coach is put on administrative leave, which is like employment purgatory.
Any company worth its salt would put someone on admin leave for liability reasons alone, this is a simple misdemeanor and as I've heard it Ty was trying to extract a kid from a situation that escalated when the cops got involved; let's face it we live in a nation where many officers have over stepped their bounds on things, I'm not saying that's the case, but this doesn't sound like the program we all know from the past 5 years... It isn't a fireable offense or that would've happened. The media coverage is always going to lean towards the side that gives them the best headline to grab eyes and get clicks. Sad but true...
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when an assistant is arrested and a player might be also, that's negative publicity that we don't need right now, or any time really.

No matter what the actual facts are, it's a bad look no matter how this shakes out.

I would imagine Dan has reached out to our recent commits and hopefully reassured them things will be OK.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

He was a bad hire from the start. Got the job because he was a seedy AAU coach. Thirty seven years old and just got his degree from Northeastern (on line no doubt) in 2016. What's the matter, karl Koussa wasn't available.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Cameron_Dollar wrote:He was a bad hire from the start. Got the job because he was a seedy AAU coach. Thirty seven years old and just got his degree from Northeastern (on line no doubt) in 2016. What's the matter, karl Koussa wasn't available.
Disclaimer - The above post in no way reflects the feelings of the vast majority of the URI fans. I think we can at least all agree on that.

People going back to school to better their lives and future prospects is a positive thing for society. Good for Boswell for doing that and trying to play a constructive role becoming a positive role model young athletes. I'm going to hold judgement on what happened last Thursday night until the facts come out.
11 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Are they sure it wasn't a PC player that hit a cop?
Relevant question.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:
I still don't hear from you what specifically posters here have said that is different from what has been in the Projo and other media and WPRI TV that broke the story,
- members of the basketball team were involved in a fight in the restroom
- more arrests to come
- cop alleges he was punched in the face

Not words from Kearney Blue posters. I'm sure Kearney Blue posters want this to go away asap and wish it had never happened in the first place.
Now it is in articles in news media across the country

But I still don't see where any posters on this board are "posting things of little truth" when the stuff is in the printed news media, quoting police reports and on TV.

What am I missing?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

There is a bathroom on the suite level over by where that McKay furniture set up was.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:He was a bad hire from the start. Got the job because he was a seedy AAU coach. Thirty seven years old and just got his degree from Northeastern (on line no doubt) in 2016. What's the matter, karl Koussa wasn't available.
Congratulations on winning the award for dumbest post of the new season.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Relevant question.
Just to clear things up Dawan Robinson was the last college player to have an incident with the law. Believe he played for uri
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Relevant question.
Just to clear things up Dawan Robinson was the last college player to have an incident with the law. Believe he played for uri
Let's please not get into a pissing match with one another.
2 x
Go Rhody