Transfer Eligibility Changing ?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Transfer rule changes

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Transfer rule changes

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sure would....probably in more ways than one can think of right off the bat...
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

I hope this goes through...if you have done well academically you should be able to change schools, just like coaches do. Kids will move for many reasons; more playing time, different level of competition (up and down), etc. It will likely make having quality depth more difficult to maintain. Good for the athletes - they all want to play and being locked into a situation that is not best for you never made sense to me. I think the pressure will be on coaches to establish programs that the athletes are happy to be part of.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have read that the number of transfers was just short of 850 for last year. URI has actually bucked the trend the last two seasons with ZERO transfers out. The transfer problem is completely out of control. Relaxing the rules will make it far easier and will result in even more transfers. It will also probably be another advantage for the power schools as they will be able to use lower level schools as a de facto developmental minor league.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and on the other hand, players on power school rosters who are riding the pines will find it quicker and easier to transfer to non power schools for playing time.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Agree with ramster, there will be a lot of movement from top schools. I think the movement in football can be significant.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:and on the other hand, players on power school rosters who are riding the pines will find it quicker and easier to transfer to non power schools for playing time.
This was my thought also...could be really interesting...
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not sure how serious this proposal is. It would be very disruptive to the current system.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imagine a Coaching change? Imagine the players that can go with him?
But why can Coaches change without sitting out a year but players can't? Doesn't seem quite fare

But players can go from D1 Football and go to D2 Football and play immediately.

Could be a field day for Lawyers. Seems players should be able to change schools and play the next season - not sit out
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think this could happen, in time.

But don't hold your breath.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I think this could happen, in time.

But don't hold your breath.
.... unless it goes to court. Then anything could happen.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think if the rule changes, both P5 and non P5's could both benefit and get hurt by that.

It would definitely open the floodgates of transfers, that's for sure. Good players on mid majors who aren't likely to Dance would be far more likely to jump to a school that does. And who could blame them, with a better chance to get noticed and possibly get drafted?

What about transfers within conferences? Would the wait be reduced to one year, or none at all?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Imagine a Coaching change? Imagine the players that can go with him?
But why can Coaches change without sitting out a year but players can't? Doesn't seem quite fare

But players can go from D1 Football and go to D2 Football and play immediately.

Could be a field day for Lawyers. Seems players should be able to change schools and play the next season - not sit out
That's why in my opinion the rule should be if a coach leaves then the players have the option to transfer without having to sit out. If there's no coaching change and a player wants to transfer then they still have to sit a year.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

There are two things I believe:

1) If a coach leaves a school, a player should have __ days to be able to transfer and not have to sit a year.
2) If a player accepts a scholarship to play college basketball, he should be guaranteed a 4 year scholarship, even if he is "brizzed."

Outside of that, I do not believe that players should be able to pick schools like it's NBA free agency. If you look at some of these kids in HS, they bounce around to 3, 4, or sometimes 5 different schools. Sometimes kids will transfer from a school to another school, and back to the original school in the same year. None of it makes sense.

Furthermore, the original document stated that for a player to be able to transfer, it would be with regards to the standard required for graduation. The NCAA has a document for this already, it states that a freshman is eligible with a 1.8 GPA, a sophomore a 1.9 GPA, and a junior a 2.0 GPA. That is the minimum GPA required to retain eligibility. A 1.8 GPA is almost a C- average.

If the NCAA was to require a standard of academic excellence, than I would support that. I would prefer it be a 3.0, but would be satisfied with a 2.7. That says that the student needs a B-/B average. That should not be unreasonable.

Yes, basketball players do bring revenue to a school ... They sell tickets, and they bring in TV ratings. But, they are given an advantage that 99.9% of their peers do not ... They are given a free ride and require really no standard of academic greatness to do so. A kid with a 1.8 can stay at URI if he plays basketball, but his peer probably would lose his scholarship and be forced to enroll at CCRI because that's the only place that would accept him. For that, I'm all for supporting a GPA requirement. It's not just good for the school, it's good for the kid. It tells them that if you want to leave and go somewhere else, that's fine, but you'll at least become a better person as a result.

Some kid whose had his ego stroked since age 12 who played at 5 different high schools, he gets nothing out of going to a school for 1 year or 2 years and then bailing out at the first sign of adversity. These changes need to help these teenagers develop into men. I support a rule system, that while maybe not entirely fair, helps them to do that. At least in the current system, there is some level of consequence that a player needs to consider before making that decision.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Transfer Eligibility Changing ?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! Everybody and his mother will be transferring!
The only deterrent was sitting out a year.
Now comes chaos.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Over 850 D1 transfers this past year alone. Less than 5,000 total players are on D1 rosters. Number has been rising dramatically in recent years. This proposed change with no wait would make it skyrocket. P5 schools would see the biggest benefit. Other conferences would in effect become developmental minor leagues for the big boys. Teams wold see huge turnover year to year. Four year players at a single school would become very rare.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

For me this is tough. Generally I fall on the side of being supportive of players' rights. But like RF1 says, I really don't like the idea of the next diamond-in-the-rough 10-15 ppg freshman scorer that we have deciding they'd rather continue at UConn (or insert any other bigger name school) since they'd have a better shot at a national championship there.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Also Bilas is an asshat.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i'm against it too

i would allow it if a player doesn't play a game for a team tho

like if he goes there and practices and then decides its not a good fit and he should be able to transfer and play immediately

like i thought the st john's dude got a rough deal by only taking a summer class
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Already being discussed elsewhere on here. Are you willing to make coaches sit out a year for transferring?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does the 1 year required to sit out to transfer apply to:
Hockey?
Soccer?
Volleyball?
Swimming?
Tennis?
Golf?
Track and Field?
Cross Country?
and is it the same for Men and Women?
Or does the 1 year sit out rule only apply to Football and Basketball?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i would sign up for that as well...

hate the idea of not honoring a contract
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

In most cases, you may not compete for one year after transferring from a four-year college to another four-year college. This year is an opportunity to adjust to your new school and focus on your studies rather than sports. However, there are exceptions that may allow you to compete during the first year at your new school.

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

-This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
-You will play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey at the second four-year school you plan to attend.
-You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
-The school from which you are transferring has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school

You may be able to compete immediately if you meet ANY of the following conditions:

-Your sport is no longer sponsored at the school from which you are transferring.
-You return to your first school without participating at the second school.
-You were not considered recruited or receiving athletic scholarship by your first four-year school you are transferring away from.
-You have not practiced or competed in your sport for two years before your transfer.
-You are transferring to a Division III college.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/cu ... t-transfer
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for providing.
So sports are not treated equally depending upon the sport
This is where the NCAA could be vulnerable to Lawyers, and the NCAA Lawyers surly know this
Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next several years
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This will really hurt non-P5 schools. You sign an under-recruited player and work to develop him, and he can then bolt with no penalty? Lame.
You'll have kids forming "super teams" like in the NBA. Chaos is right.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:There are two things I believe:

1) If a coach leaves a school, a player should have __ days to be able to transfer and not have to sit a year.
2) If a player accepts a scholarship to play college basketball, he should be guaranteed a 4 year scholarship, even if he is "brizzed."
Agree strongly with both of these. I am also a huge fan of the current grad-transfer rule. I think these two reforms along with the grad-transfer rule would represent a pretty fair set of rules for athletes while maintaining a workable system for college sports overall.
sf2010 wrote:For me this is tough. Generally I fall on the side of being supportive of players' rights. But like RF1 says, I really don't like the idea of the next diamond-in-the-rough 10-15 ppg freshman scorer that we have deciding they'd rather continue at UConn (or insert any other bigger name school) since they'd have a better shot at a national championship there.
I agree with this sentiment also. In addition to the above suggestions by rjsuperfly, another idea I would support to increase fairness to athletes and reduce the extent to which they are treated as chattel would be a stipend, provided that ALL players in a given sport at a given level receive the same stipend and that the stipend is centrally funded (i.e., the NCAA distributes the funds, which are generated through some combination of its own income from TV and marketing and some progressive revenue sharing model among member schools). I'm all about fairness to players and trying to provide a more rewarding system for them that acknowledges the incredible amount of revenue they generate directly and indirectly for their schools, as well as the job-like nature of their participation in their sport.

However, this free-transfer rule would effectively kill the sport for all but a dozen or maybe two dozen schools. Any successes achieved by non-elite programs in talent evaluation and talent development - which is essentially the only way such a program ever competes - would instead reward another school that didn't do anything to cultivate that success. I do not believe that the schools should "own the rights" to the athletes indefinitely, but at least the current year-in-residence rule builds in some cost to the athlete for making the decision, and that cost is not so substantial that it prevents all transfers but is substantial enough so that it prevents whimsical ones. To me, that is the right balance. If this was ONLY about the fairest possible thing for players, then fine, you could justify an immediate transfer eligibility rule. But I think that rule would have a devastating effect on the sport's popularity in the long run, which could ultimately lead to a reduction in the number of scholarship opportunities for kids who otherwise may not go to college.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rhodyblue12 wrote:This will really hurt non-P5 schools. You sign an under-recruited player and work to develop him, and he can then bolt with no penalty? Lame.
Yes, but it will go both ways, kids who sit the bench on P5 schools because they were over-recruited will come to non P5 school in order to play right away. Regardless, chaos is for sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shinze88 wrote:
rhodyblue12 wrote:This will really hurt non-P5 schools. You sign an under-recruited player and work to develop him, and he can then bolt with no penalty? Lame.
Yes, but it will go both ways, kids who sit the bench on P5 schools because they were over-recruited will come to non P5 school in order to play right away. Regardless, chaos is for sure.
Exactly it goes both ways.
Talent would balance out.
With the one and done stuff it's not like the P5 top teams care if top players stay anyway. Kentucky and Duke are recruiting many 1 year players.
Free agency hurt parity in baseball, basketball and football. Lawyers brought about free agency

Lawyers will change this 1 year sit out rule - they smell blood (money)
How can you allow players in some sports to play right away in transferring but in other sports they can't? Because the NCAA says so

My guess is this changes in the coming years, the legality will be challenged. NCAA lawyers already see it coming is my guess
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But the strong teams and programs will stay strong. You want to be a Program players at the P5 teams who are not happy opt to go to just as Iverson did. Be one of the premier teams in your conference, have a nice arena, strong academics, nice location, good. I aching staff, high likelihood of making the NCAA Tournament, have a family atmosphere, strong academic support staff for players - all of these things URI currently has.

And get the plans in motion to build the practice facility with all the bells and whistles. Keep up with the Daytons, the VCUs, etc. when Hurley leaves you want our facilities to be among the best in the A10. More important if this transfer thing happens and I'd bet on the lawyers.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

The focus should be on fairness to the student athlete.....

My gut tells me rules will change if it benefits P5 conferences. They control everything, TV money etc. That is their interest.

I've felt that the P5 schools want the NCAA basketball tourney to be theirs exclusively, for the money. They want a second tourney for the non power 5 schools [The NIT]. That may be why the NCAA bought that brand name a few years ago.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:
Totally disagree with the idea that the talent will balance out. The players going from non-P5 to P5 will be the best players on their teams and in their leagues. The players going from P5 to non-P5 will generally be the guys who were overrecruited, didn't develop, or are problematic members of the team (obviously exceptions to this would exist, but I'm speaking in generalities here). You're trading your best players for their worst players. Unless you think that the talent distribution now means that the worst player on Miami or Texas Tech or Illinois is better than every guy on our team or in our league, then you cannot think that the talent will even out. I certainly wouldn't trade EC Matthews for Boston College's 11th man, but that's just me. And under Bilas's birdbrained rich-get-richer scheme, I would trade my EC Matthews and Jared Terrells for a bunch of washouts every single offseason. Hard pass on that.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
Shinze88 wrote:
Totally disagree with the idea that the talent will balance out. The players going from non-P5 to P5 will be the best players on their teams and in their leagues. The players going from P5 to non-P5 will generally be the guys who were overrecruited, didn't develop, or are problematic members of the team (obviously exceptions to this would exist, but I'm speaking in generalities here). You're trading your best players for their worst players. Unless you think that the talent distribution now means that the worst player on Miami or Texas Tech or Illinois is better than every guy on our team or in our league, then you cannot think that the talent will even out. I certainly wouldn't trade EC Matthews for Boston College's 11th man, but that's just me. And under Bilas's birdbrained rich-get-richer scheme, I would trade my EC Matthews and Jared Terrells for a bunch of washouts every single offseason. Hard pass on that.
It will be about Playing Time. Guys will not leave URI to be the 7th man on Duke, of Wake Forest, or NC State. The 8th man at those schools will leave to be the 4th or 5th starter at a URI, or St Josephs, etc.

It happens today. Players leave P5 Teams and become strong players in the A10 - look at LaSalle, 5th Year Players are now doing it. Over 800 transfers a year now....used to be 300. The 800 transfers have not made the P5 Teams Stronger, if anything it has helped the Mid Majors more would be my guess. Might even bring more parity to all the teams - and it will help program sales :lol:

The NCAA is going to struggle with this.

I don't think it will be anywhere near the disaster you are predicting.
But it doesn't matter

The legal system will beat the NCAA with this 1 year sit out penalty, eventually.

I don't like the change but I think it is inevitable.

Build up your facilities, have a stable program, solid Head Coach and Staff, be in a good, competitive conference and don't worry about the Lawyers and the NCAA - because you can't control what is going to happen anyway.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Same discussion taking place on the PC Scout board. Interesting points on both sides over there.

http://scout.com/college/providence/Boa ... -107018300
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Totally agree with Rod.

Essentially allowing players to xfer anywhere/anytime would cause total chaos.

Not to mention more corruption.

It would be like European soccer. Where players make "long term commitments" to a club then try to jump ship at the first opportunity, Just like European Football it would create a system of have's and have nots like nothing we have ever seen in American sport.

Imagine is for example back in August 16 Kansas best PF suddenly decides he wants to play for another club (likely because of some shady extra benefits). A domino effect occurs and suddenly Martin starts to agitate to leave for Kansas only a few weeks before classes start and getting a good replacement is nearly impossible. For anyone Familiar with Soccer look at the Neymar/Barcelona/Couthino saga.

Free markets simply ruin sporting leagues imo. NCAA is surely not perfect but i am convinced without amateurism and the rest of the NCAA red tape College sports would be far less competitive and interesting.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yep. There has to be something to give players pause so their impulses are kept in check.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Caveat...it’s from ESPN

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote:Caveat...it’s from ESPN

I'm glad we still have an open scholarship. This could be huge. Dan can point to the recent success of Kuran and Stan to potential transfers. Both were highly rated high school players. I expect there to be a lot of very good players transferring this year. If we get a good NCAA run and up our profile even more than it is now, I could see us getting a very good one. And if he could come and play right away, that would be incredible.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Now that Cam Reddish and Tyrese are friends we may see Cam decide to transfer immediately from Duke so that he can play with Ty.....right ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Will the person wanting to transfer, have to go through the normal admission process?

I transferred from UConn to Quinnipiac, and the process was the same as a non-athlete.
......You must meet the new schools admission requirements.
......Courses being transferred are reviewed tor grades and content toward the athletes new degree program.
......Course grades below C are not transferable.

I'm hoping the "student" is the focus.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Yeah CTRamfan....I don't think it is the same process.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !