Scheduling Q&A

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Scheduling Q&A

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The University of Rhode Island (!!!) is on ESPN2 every Friday night playing basketball the month before March Madness.

A. If you told me this would happen in 2012 I would have slapped you.
B. Unreal national exposure for the school/program.
C. If you complain about this then you're a moron.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote:The University of Rhode Island (!!!) is on ESPN2 every Friday night playing basketball the month before March Madness.

B. Unreal national exposure for the school/program
Absolutely...would challenge anyone to come up with a better Feb TV schedule situation...
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote:The University of Rhode Island (!!!) is on ESPN2 every Friday night playing basketball the month before March Madness.

B. Unreal national exposure for the school/program
I'm eyeballing that Feb. 23 game against Dayton since it's my birthday. Would be a nice to go see that game and watch us get revenge as my present!
1 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

For those of us who live out of state, and can't get out of work early, Friday night games are tough. I typically buy the mini plans and pick as many Saturday games as possible. I'm bummed that I probably can't do that this year, but I'm pumped about all the TV exposure. Can't wait for the season to begin!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Justns11 wrote:For those of us who live out of state, and can't get out of work early, Friday night games are tough. I typically buy the mini plans and pick as many Saturday games as possible. I'm bummed that I probably can't do that this year, but I'm pumped about all the TV exposure. Can't wait for the season to begin!
We still have five Saturday games, including the PC game, and a Sunday game.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Justns11 wrote:For those of us who live out of state, and can't get out of work early, Friday night games are tough. I typically buy the mini plans and pick as many Saturday games as possible. I'm bummed that I probably can't do that this year, but I'm pumped about all the TV exposure. Can't wait for the season to begin!
Same here. I'd get to the games around 7:30. No mini-plan for me this year. Yes, there are 5 or 6 weekend games, but mini-plans don't work like that. 2 or 3 will be during the week. Last year, only one game, the Dayton game on a Friday, was during the week on the mini-plan. Oh, well, I'll be watching a lot of TV.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
We still have five Saturday games, including the PC game, and a Sunday game.
The available games for the mini plans haven't been released yet, but if we only have five total Saturday games for the season I would guess that only 2 or maybe 3 of those are options for the mini plans. I'm not complaining, just giving some feedback from an out-of-stater with a full time job (with limited flexibility). I'm just going to try to do 2-3 Friday night games but I probably won't be able to make them until mid way through the first half. Unforuntately I can't do the Sunday game either.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Totally understand it'll be tough for some people to make it there in time for Friday night games with work and everything, but if we want the place packed with students that I think Friday night games on ESPN will certainly help.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why not a starting time of 8:00 during the week so a lot more people could go? Game would be over around 10:00 and people would still get home at a decent hour, especially Friday night games when most people don't have to get up early the next morning.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TV dictates the starting times.

And the old folks don't want to stay up late.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy, you realize that URI is not setting game times, right? The TV networks have control over that.

Edit: Sniped by 'Bone!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

First, those times are coming from TV as others have mentioned. And if you start the games at 8 parents are going to complain that they can't bring their kids.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and even the times that the TV sets are subject to change later on
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I understand that tv controls these things. But why can't tv schedule an 8:00 east coast game and a 11:00 west coast game? Prime time for advertising dollars starts at 8:00, does it not? So, this way you've got 2 games starting right at prime time.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We're really complaining about 7 o'clock start times playing on national TV for a month straight? Are we serious?

Come on.
8 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote:We're really complaining about 7 o'clock start times playing on national TV for a month straight? Are we serious?

Come on.
I'm not complaining. But I am disappointed that I can't go to many games this year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I've been fired from every job I have ever had....and all 5 of my wives have thrown me out....so I am quite flexible on getting to games.....
7 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Games usually start at 7 and then the next round of games usually start at 9 for TV purposes.
Price of poker just went up. That's what happens when you get an NCAA Qualification, an NCAA 1st Round win, a consensus preseason pick to win the A10 and a Head Coach who has interest from fans and the press across the nation.
6 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:Looks like we will have a 5th road game to fill out the schedule.

Announcement this weekend?

This weekend passed without any mention of a game. Season fast approaching. Any update?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

ramster wrote:Games usually start at 7 and then the next round of games usually start at 9 for TV purposes.
Price of poker just went up. That's what happens when you get an NCAA Qualification, an NCAA 1st Round win, a consensus preseason pick to win the A10 and a Head Coach who has interest from fans and the press across the nation.
Correct. TV wants a game in the 7pm-9pm slot...and then in the 9-11pm (or 11:30pm for an NBA game). 8pm games don't work well in TV scheduling because you have to air something at 7pm. But what? Some talking heads? Boring. And starting games at 6pm is not good for anyone. So 7pm is the magic time slot.

Secondly, 8pm start times are not good for people with young kids. Tend to get home way too late, especially on school nights. That hurts attendance and attracting the younger generation of fans. This has been a problem with the World Series games. They're on too late.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Any leads on what this last game might be?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CT Rhody wrote:Any leads on what this last game might be?

I am starting to doubt it will happen. The season starts in just eight weeks and most OOC games occur early (first seven weeks). With each day that passes with no news on another game, the odds of it actually happening drop. If URI has a schedule two games short of the maximum allowed games, that is not good. I like the mix of opponents on the schedule and give the staff credit. The inability to field a complete slate is however also on them. Being short one game because a tournament has a non D1 school is one thing. Failing to schedule another game on top of that is much worse.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ Trying to keep the faith, but it's starting to not look good...glad they aren't playing a non-D1, but seems it would be hard at this point to field a game that could have positive impact on the overall picture?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Any leads on what this last game might be?

I am starting to doubt it will happen. The season starts in just eight weeks and most OOC games occur early (first seven weeks). With each day that passes with no news on another game, the odds of it actually happening drop. If URI has a schedule two games short of the maximum allowed games, that is not good. I like the mix of opponents on the schedule and give the staff credit. The inability to field a complete slate is however also on them. Being short one game because a tournament has a non D1 school is one thing. Failing to schedule another game on top of that is much worse.
I also agree with this assessment, no issue with the NIT decision. However when down to the last game, give a little on the home and home if your unable to leverage a better deal. It's so late in the game at this point take what you can that might be financially prudent.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Two empty slots in our schedule.

Very disappointing.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Take a road game to Bryant and kick their ass. With the new formula, it wouldn't hurt too much.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody15 wrote:Two empty slots in our schedule.

Very disappointing.
One
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I just think one less win hurts us regardless of opponent. 20-9 vs 21-9.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/16/rhod ... s-america/

Relevant schedule pertinent to 9 of the 11 non conference games are against projected NCAA tournament teams. Now thats damn impressive.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

CT Rhody wrote:http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/16/rhod ... s-america/

Relevant schedule pertinent to 9 of the 11 non conference games are against projected NCAA tournament teams. Now thats damn impressive.
Jared Terrell is the lightest he's been since 8th grade????

Beast.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice article looks like we may see a lot of that 4 guard lineup

I wouldn't panic just yet I think we will get that next game on our schedule
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:Nice article looks like we may see a lot of that 4 guard lineup

I wouldn't panic just yet I think we will get that next game on our schedule
Is this a gut feel or some inside knowledge on this topic?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gut feel , the only knowledge I get is from this board lol
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Thanks again to Mike as he moves on to a bigger pond at BC.

Mike- I'm sure you're diving headlong into your work at BC as you did here at URI, but in case you read this, please encourage someone from the Athletic Department to continue the yearly tradition you started of coming here to answer our scheduling questions. Undoubtedly it was always one of the most informative, interesting, and helpful threads about URI hoops every year.
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

And squeeze in a neutral site game with BC this year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Found out we have a great home and home scheduled for 2018-19. Again sorry for the secrecy but this is a real good one. (We get the first home game).
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Indeed. Thanks, Mike!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What would the reason(s) be for not announcing the home and home agreement? Why not let the news out to excite fans from both teams?
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Announcements normally only come once papers are signed and locked up. Sometimes agreements are like "verbals" and it takes time to get it in writing. Both schools like to control the timing of the announcement.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Makes sense, but to be honest, I'd prefer that info about a great "home and home" not leak out until all is 100% finished. Really shouldn't take that long. And would be good if both teams agreed to announce at the same time and not leak out through message boards, twitter, etc. keep it secret until done.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ideally,yes. That's how it would work. But that's not reality. The school in the position of strength will hold out until the last possible minute in case something better comes along.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

neil wrote:Found out we have a great home and home scheduled for 2018-19. Again sorry for the secrecy but this is a real good one. (We get the first home game).
Neil, anything on our last game for 17-18 front?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

there's a lot more to this...just can't share it at this time....
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:there's a lot more to this...just can't share it at this time....
Lot more to what?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

home game scheduled for 2018-19
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:there's a lot more to this...just can't share it at this time....
Lot more to what?
NYG likes busting ass, ever since the RC incident.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There aren't going to be any more games added.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:There aren't going to be any more games added.
The failure to put together a full schedule having TWO less games than allowed is very disappointing. The staff however did a great job with the selection of opponents it did schedule. 21 of the 29 games will be against teams on the College College Sports Madness Top 144. There are not many cream puffs on this slate.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh man, RF. You have been very clear on your disappointment. Must you remind us again?
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Oh man, RF. You have been very clear on your disappointment. Must you remind us again?
I actually agree, it is dissapointing. We all understand the NIT issue and agree with the program there. I also think Dan is trying to increase the perception of the program and wanted a worthy home and home of a high major program so it is what it is. Hopefully next year holding out this year for additional leverage will produce another schedule just like this and with two more games on it.

Overall amazing job by Dan and the program on this schedule.
0 x