Practice Facility at PC

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Practice Facility at PC

Unread post by theblueram »

Blueman
I get what you are saying. And I would say a large number who regular this board actually do donate. I believe you are speaking to the non season ticket holder fan base. That is going to take winning to capture that audience and motivate them to donate. And it will also take a strong marketing effort once that happens to make it a reality. If we make the Sweet 16 this year, and there isn't a coordinated effort to reach out to as many alumns to garner donations, you have the answer to the problem. Poor outreach and marketing.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Which would be more beneficial...to buy season tix, or not buy them and just donate the money?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Well, let's first have a few sellout games this season. Besides peecee. Maybe if people can't get into games, and everyone wants to, donations and season tickets increase.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think it's a legit question...if one can only afford one or the other...what should one do? Season tix, or donate the money?
Seriously interested in hearing thoughts on that...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

IMO if there is a choice buy season tix.

On that note heard a rumor we had already passed last seasons number of season ticket holders as of a week ago and before advertising for the plans really even started.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I think it's a legit question...if one can only afford one or the other...what should one do? Season tix, or donate the money?
Seriously interested in hearing thoughts on that...
Is this really a question? First and foremost, purchasing tickets is the most important thing to do. Kids want to play in front of full houses and that helps with recruiting, further program interest, etc. if you can't go to a certain game, extend the brand and give them away to somebody else who can and maybe they'll be hooked and want to purchases tickets on their own in the future or become a fan. That's by far the most important thing we fans can do for this program.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I agree, but to hear "The reality, whether anyone thinks it's disparaging or not, is that our fanbase sucks..." without qualifiers (like maybe, 'except for season ticketholders, or those that buy tix to a lot of games')...not sure how a season ticket holder should feel about that? Like, if you DO buy season tix, but can't afford to donate...should you feel guilty about that?
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I agree, but to hear "The reality, whether anyone thinks it's disparaging or not, is that our fanbase sucks..." without qualifiers (like maybe, 'except for season ticketholders, or those that buy tix to a lot of games')...not sure how a season ticket holder should feel about that? Like, if you DO buy season tix, but can't afford to donate...should you feel guilty about that?
The fact is our fan base doesn't suck. We have been down for 15 or so years and the issue isn't with the current fans, the issue is we just need more of them! More fans generates sellouts which is additinal ticket revenue which the program could use to take their funding to the next level. If every current fan that attends games just got one more person this season interested in the program to a point where they buy tickets in future years, just imagine what that simple step would do for the program. It would be massive. Grow the base, it's as simple as that.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I agree and mission accomplished...this is the 3rd year that the wife and I have season tix...and we feel like we've directly influenced the purchase of 5 more season tix for this year - 3 within our family and another pair from our church. Make no mistake...a near full Ryan Center is by far one of the best sports values anywhere around.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I know I'm not the only one who got others in on season tickets, but I somehow managed to convince 8 others to purchase season tickets this year.
2 x
Go Rhody
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:I agree and mission accomplished...this is the 3rd year that the wife and I have season tix...and we feel like we've directly influenced the purchase of 5 more season tix for this year - 3 within our family and another pair from our church. Make no mistake...a near full Ryan Center is by far one of the best sports values anywhere around.
Nice job!!!! You added even more value to the program then a normal size donation would do. Indirectly, you added more monetary value to the program year over year than a one time donation would ever do. Keep this up!!!
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:I know I'm not the only one who got others in on season tickets, but I somehow managed to convince 8 others to purchase season tickets this year.
You should be celebrated my friend!!! Great job, invaluable work!
2 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

1- 3% of income to causes.
Everybody can fit Rhody athletics in there.
Too many people giving nothing.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm not sure that plans are more important than the donor. We've had a design for a great CAA stadium since December of 2001 and it's gone nowhere.
meade stadium concept.jpg
meade stadium concept.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'm not sure that plans are more important than the donor. We've had a design for a great CAA stadium since December of 2001 and it's gone nowhere.

The east side stands in that rendering certainly look a lot better than the rickety stands there are now. For some reason made me randomly think of the game in 2002 when the entire field flooded during a game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If they ever upgrade Meade, they need to raise the level of the field area because of the tendency to flood during heavy rain periods.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:

I'd say the level of the team matches the level of the stadium quite nicely as it is. Let's get a CAA level team 1st
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:If they ever upgrade Meade, they need to raise the level of the field area because of the tendency to flood during heavy rain periods.
Has it ever really flooded outside of the Richmond game? I can't recall another instance
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:If they ever upgrade Meade, they need to raise the level of the field area because of the tendency to flood during heavy rain periods.
Has it ever really flooded outside of the Richmond game? I can't recall another instance
I can't think of hearing about one. Maybe the field flooded again during the floods in 2010? I had already graduated, so not 100% sure.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Best part of the Meade stadium drawing is that there is an actual sign that says Meade stadium.
Every since they took down the old scoreboard nothing around there says Meade stadium.. pretty sad.
I have emailed the AD department for years about " basic" upgrades to dress up the stadium a little more. So after years of being a season ticket holder and donor to football I stopped.
If they can't come up with a plan or any money they why should I!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:Interesting in today's PROJO article about David Duke and other PC Prospects, the PC practice facility currently under construction and investing in facilities at PC are mentioned twice. Can see how Coaches are mentioning what specifically differentiates their program from the competition.
With a track record of winning, a national reputation and a practice facility being built behind Alumni Hall, the Friars are recruiting more highly rated players than ever before. Closing the deal with four-star talent, however, is never easy.

"Kids are listening to what we have to sell,” Cooley said. “Providence College is investing in facilities that are helping us and I really think my staff is underrated nationally. We can really evaluate as a staff. That shows in our roster for this season and in what we’re trying to do right now with recruiting."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... 2018-class

Anyone care to venture a guess how the projo would cover a URI practice facility? First of all, it wouldn't be covered by the sports section, it would be presented as a scandal unearthed by the projo's intrepid investigative reporting team and the public would be told it is the boondoggle of all boondoggles. It probably wouldn't be mentioned that the facility was built entirely without public moneys, as it would have to be. The ignorance of the average Rhode Islander is URI's biggest problem. Instead of viewing money spent on URI as an investment in the state's economy and it's future, it is viewed as government waste.
Okay, I'll engage here.

The last part of your statement, in my mind, is correct. The average Rhode Islander has a very dim view of spending on the state's institutions of higher learning. I agree that their perception is incorrect. As a lifelong resident, I certainly wish that were different.

I can't speak to what happened before I arrived at the Journal. But in the past three years, it's certainly been made clear -- both in the office, in print and on social media -- what the financial realities are at URI concerning the basketball program. It has been consistently mentioned that the state funds just 9 percent of the URI general budget and a pittance of salaries going to Dan Hurley and his staff. Most of your venom here is directed at past, uninformed practices, and that's where it should be left.

If you'd like to have a real discussion about a potential practice facility at URI, let's do it. I'll start by saying that I think -- at this point, anyway -- it would be very difficult to achieve. Your own fan base -- as indicated by posts on this board -- isn't united on the issue. Some want it. Some see no need for it. There has been no major groundswell of support to date for such a project, and there has been no pledge(s) by a major donor(s) to assume the bulk of the financial responsibility.

In the same breath, however, there's a wish for a higher caliber of recruit and a hope of consistently competing with Power 5 and Big East programs who are flush with cash and spending accordingly on facilities. That's not a realistic goal without continuing to advance your program, and that responsibility falls on the URI administration, its coaching staff and, yes, the fan/donor base. Recruits and coaches at other programs -- Providence College included -- acknowledge repeatedly how important those upgrades are to attracting and developing players. Listen to what they're saying.

If URI was ever going to start spending seriously on basketball, the time should be right now. In my mind, you have the right coach. He has a strong, capable staff in place. But you also have programs who are A10 peers like VCU, Dayton, Saint Louis and UMass who have better facilities and won't stay down forever. Basic enhancements like another locker room renovation, a film room and charters to all road games still haven't been done. Establish something that will outlast just one coach. Cement a program that can survive turnover and become a destination job for younger, talented coaches like Hurley, Shaka Smart, Archie Miller, etc., who are coming from low majors or off the bench as assistants. Such a sustained period would sell itself and provide such obvious benefits to the school and the state that there's only one way they could possibly be perceived.

That would be my vision, anyway. And that's coming from someone who didn't go to URI and who will attend every possible game as a beat writer whether you're 25-6 or 6-25. I welcome thoughts from any and all posters on the matter and might expand on it further in print, on Twitter or on a Pick and Pop podcast at some point. Thanks for reading.
Bill,
I know it has been about 5 months since this Thread was in active discussion and thanks, belatedly, for your excellent reply.
Some excellent updated information from a well respected poster here, Section105, regarding a conversation he had with President Dooley at an Alumni Event in Sarasota Florida a few weeks ago...........

Seems like a good opening for someone like yourself to pursue this subject further with President Dooley and/or Thorr Bjorn. Maybe you are already aware of some information that should not be privy to the public as yet, cut certainly very, very exciting times for URI.
Timing couldn't be better with URI having the highest Regular Season National Ranking in School History, 15 Game Winning Streak, URI becoming a darling of the National Media, Sell Out Crowds, and so on

Thank you

section(105) wrote:........update, just left an Alumni Association event in Sarasota, I spoke with Dr. Dooley......let’s just say this dedicated basketball facility IS in the pipeline.....re-purpose of existing space is the concept......formal announcement of this coming......it was also interesting to hear in his presentation today the seeing the Rhode Island jersey on national TV in March is important part of the national marketing of the University.......
section(105) wrote:
RI_Bred wrote:I would think that the implementation of a dedicated hoops facility at URI seems like a component that might keep a coaching staff around for a while longer, just sayin'...
......also heard in the public part of the presentation, today, among other items was the desire for and partnering with the private sector to design and build a campus hotel on upper college rd that would potentially include a sports bar/restaurant venue......the space between the current Foundation Offices all the way to and including Fine Arts area is up for growth and renovation.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......All I want to add at this point is that the needed funding sources, identification of existing facility space, design concepts, other potential impacts of relocation of existing use, and other related details will come forth when the Athletics/Presidents Communication people are ready on their timeline......I do not think a grandiose stand alone new facility, like the G’Town recently completed is the concept for URI.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thank you section(105)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Winning and selling out our building regularly changes everything - even my stubborn mind regarding a practice facility.

Sky is the limit at the moment.

Carpe diem.

Go Rhody!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Winning and selling out our building regularly changes everything - even my stubborn mind regarding a practice facility.
I'm the same as you. In theory I still believe it's overly extravagant and not the best use of our limited resources. However we choose to participate and want to excel, so we must participate in the arms race. So while in theory I'm not thrilled about it, in practice Dan feels it's necessary and I feel it's necessary to do our absolute best to keep Dan, so this project is now necessary
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

#Indanwetrust
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Thank God anyone who is wishy washy on a practice facility doesn’t make decisions.

It’s not 1995. It’s a different world. If you want to compete for top level recruits and consistently go to the NCAA tournament...and win games...instead of once every 20 years - you need a dedicated, impressive practice facility. Period. End of story.

Any opinion to the contrary is uninformed, ignorant, and wrong.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I always admit when I'm wrong. I didn't see the need for it. But if it's going to keep Dan here and consistently give us seasons like the current season, I'm all for it now.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

A PF doesn't need to be the Taj Mahal, but good grief - have one. It's ridiculous that the players don't have a place they can go shoot any time they want to. They shouldn't have to check a schedule or hope there's someplace available... And if such a place is going to be...don't h/a it, make it attractive....
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"Think big. We do."

Sound familiar?

This is an excellent and essential discussion. Thanks to Section 105, ramster, Bill Koch and all other knowledgeable contributors.

There's never been a better time to be a Rams fan. We have Batman & Batman, The 4 Robin's, and The C & D Show.
Our coach has built a program that draws national attention, we have an energized fan base, and we must take advantage of this unique set of circumstances.

South County is a tourist destination desperately in need of another hotel. So does URI for alumni and parents of students. Developing a multipurpose facility that attracts athletes, fans and alumni and encourages year-round engagement on what is currently a barren landscape is an investment in our future that needs to happen.

I hereby encourage every successful, influential and affluent member of this esteemed forum to do everything in their power to make this dream come true!
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ter-desert

"The Antelopes use a five-star practice facility that features three courts, offices for men's and women's basketball, a lounge for each team and a film room. Majerle can watch practice from the second-floor balcony outside his office.

Some high-majors fought for years to finance comparable luxuries. But GCU opened its practice facility in 2017, four years into its Division I transition. In 2014, Grand Canyon Arena, the team's home facility that includes a three-ton, high-definition video board, temporarily shut down to add 2,000 seats as part of a multimillion-dollar investment in the school's most visible sport.

The facilities have enhanced recruiting at GCU.

Four-star recruit Tim Finke rejected offers from Northwestern, Creighton, Notre Dame, Illinois and USC and committed to Grand Canyon in November. Casey Benson, a grad transfer who played in the Final Four with Oregon last season, is averaging 9.6 PPG and 5.0 APG this season."
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIFan wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ter-desert

"The Antelopes use a five-star practice facility that features three courts, offices for men's and women's basketball, a lounge for each team and a film room. Majerle can watch practice from the second-floor balcony outside his office.

Some high-majors fought for years to finance comparable luxuries. But GCU opened its practice facility in 2017, four years into its Division I transition. In 2014, Grand Canyon Arena, the team's home facility that includes a three-ton, high-definition video board, temporarily shut down to add 2,000 seats as part of a multimillion-dollar investment in the school's most visible sport.

The facilities have enhanced recruiting at GCU.

Four-star recruit Tim Finke rejected offers from Northwestern, Creighton, Notre Dame, Illinois and USC and committed to Grand Canyon in November. Casey Benson, a grad transfer who played in the Final Four with Oregon last season, is averaging 9.6 PPG and 5.0 APG this season."
and our own Daron Russell was heavily recruited by GCU and spent considerable time there on campus visiting his Brother who was a Senior and trying to recruit him to go to GCU. Dan even said on a show (with Russell the guest) that they did not hear from Russell for about a month during the recruiting process. Would have been a shame to have lost Russell to GCU.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Being totally honest, I heard of GCU once and thought it was an online school. How the hell did they afford that?
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Because they are a for profit university. Their sole purpose is to make money. It's basically a scam.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Interestingly, it mentions it was a small nonprofit school that was on the brink of folding and then investors came in and turned it into a for-profit that is flourishing, but they don't want to pay the property taxes anymore so they are thinking of switching back to nonprofit. They are one of the largest landowners in Phoenix and have the biggest tax bill.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I do not believe that Grand Canyon should be allowed to participate in NCAA sports, and I would refuse to play them out of principle, even in a tournament. It isn't a real school, it is a scam with a campus.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

You guys are wrong about GCU. It is still run as a private university, and they haven't raised tuition in over a decade. Their nursing and education programs both have a higher success rate than nearby Arizona State, which is the real reason they've been lobbying against GCU.

They are in the process of returning to non-profit status to get rid of the stigma because of the actions of other for profit entities.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Bigsnoop wrote:You guys are wrong about GCU. It is still run as a private university, and they haven't raised tuition in over a decade. Their nursing and education programs both have a higher success rate than nearby Arizona State, which is the real reason they've been lobbying against GCU.

They are in the process of returning to non-profit status to get rid of the stigma because of the actions of other for profit entities.
To tack on to this... many non profit universities are just as much of a scam.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe Dan Majerle is the coach there
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

GCU is playing right now on YurView (1004). Take a look at the campus during commercials
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bigsnoop wrote:GCU is playing right now on YurView (1004). Take a look at the campus during commercials
GCU men's and women's on YurView a lot.

How.why
is that?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Cox in Arizona televises a lot of their home games, so YurView picks it up as free programming.
1 x