Rams Trip to The Bahamas

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Rams Trip to The Bahamas

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Only 2 minutes for Tertsea is interesting. Will be curious to see if he gets more time in the other games.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodywins
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by rhodywins »

Wonder how the refs were with the other team having 55 foul shots. Our bigs had alot with Preston fouling out in only 14 minutes. Hopefully this was the way game was called and not a preview of the season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Well I'm glad we didn't lose to Nichols college or whatever, awesome line for Berry, kids already a fan favorite, now let's see those stats in America.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We out shot them 85 to 58...
Nice to see us blow them out more than Penn State.

Layssard had a good game!
The frontcourt really did well as a whole.
Really encouraging.
Didn't shoot too well overall, but you can only take way so much from this.
Wish Dan let the guy stream it!
Ugh!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our bigs did really good production wise in not that many minutes
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Things that stood out:
- We won by 23 without EC Mathews while it took Penn State Overtime to beat this same team
- We outrebounded them on offensive glass by double 23-12: led by Preston with 7 Off Rebs in 14 minutes, Langevine with 6 in 15 minutes
- Layssard with 6 rebounds in 15 minutes, 4-7 FG, 2-3 FT for 10 points in only 15 minutes - nice numbers
- Berry with 16 points in just over 11 minutes!! 7-10 FG!!
- 15 steals led by Russell and Terrell with 4 each plus Robinson with 3 steals
- Langevine and Russell both 5-6 on FTs
- Preston with 11 rebounds in only 13 minutes!!
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URI is always better than Penn State at basketball.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maybe so, but Penn State is still a P5 Team and we played without EC Mathews. Still impressive to me that we defeated this team by the margin that we did.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster, you do an excellent job in keeping us abreast of the action with some details. Maybe you can volunteer your services to the goRhody.com website and upgrade them from their just average performance. BTW, the US college teams playing in this Bahamas Thunder tourney besides URI are Chicago State, Penn State, Southern U., Colorado State. Nicholls State, and Southern Miss. I looked at all the athletics websites of these schools and all have better coverage on games to be played than URI. BC also has no info on their website, but they have not left for the Bahamas since their games are to be played on August 19 & 20. Thanks to ramster we at least know who and when the URI games were to be played.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramster wrote:Maybe so, but Penn State is still a P5 Team and we played without EC Mathews. Still impressive to me that we defeated this team by the margin that we did.
Absolutely, I just have taken up the cause of saying URI is better than the Penn States and the lower A10 teams the past few days.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Love this.

Jared Terrell‏ @JaredTerrell32 · 37m37 minutes ago
Just did some community service out in Nassau, one of the best experiences I've had in a while. The smile on those kids faces were priceless
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Obadiah wrote:ramster, you do an excellent job in keeping us abreast of the action with some details. Maybe you can volunteer your services to the goRhody.com website and upgrade them from their just average performance. BTW, the US college teams playing in this Bahamas Thunder tourney besides URI are Chicago State, Penn State, Southern U., Colorado State. Nicholls State, and Southern Miss. I looked at all the athletics websites of these schools and all have better coverage on games to be played than URI. BC also has no info on their website, but they have not left for the Bahamas since their games are to be played on August 19 & 20. Thanks to ramster we at least know who and when the URI games were to be played.
Great idea.

Ramster would get r done
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's bad enough that we are referred to as Rhode Island University but the icing on the cake is that they have the Rhode Island College Logo along with our name

And worse yet it does not get fixed
Bahamas Team Logo.png
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That is a good sign we win easily while Penn State struggled. Any blogs today ??
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote:It's bad enough that we are referred to as Rhode Island University but the icing on the cake is that they have the Rhode Island College Logo along with our name

Bahamas Team Logo.png
Ten bucks says whoever created this didn't know English. It says college then university, cmon.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote:It's bad enough that we are referred to as Rhode Island University but the icing on the cake is that they have the Rhode Island College Logo along with our name

Bahamas Team Logo.png
Back in the late 70s we played Brigham Young. The BYU media guide got our name right, but said we were from Providence and our nickname was ... was ... oh, hell, I can't even say it.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

Bahamas Team Logo.png
Back in the late 70s we played Brigham Young. The BYU media guide got our name right, but said we were from Providence and our nickname was ... was ... oh, hell, I can't even say it.
No way.......
I don't remember that
They called us the University of Rhode Island Fr....? I can't say it either
0 x
Jnutt10YS
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Jnutt10YS »

After 1 period URI leads the Bahamas All Stars 29 - 18
3 x
Jnutt10YS
Jim Eitner

End of the half URI 45 - Bahamas All Stars 36
Box score attached
Attachments
IMG_7783.JPG
4 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I know I'm not the only one who can't wait for the season to start. We will be deeper and more experienced than the team that was just beaten by the final 4 team. Skies the limit with this squad.
It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers. We should break all records for attendance.

When is the next game on this trip?
0 x
Jnutt10YS
Jim Eitner

After 3...... URI 93 - Bahamas All Stars 53
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Rhody 12 fouls at half and Bahamas 24 FT's. Every foul a 2 shot foul?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Smokinjimit wrote:I know I'm not the only one who can't wait for the season to start. We will be deeper and more experienced than the team that was just beaten by the final 4 team. Skies the limit with this squad.
It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers. We should break all records for attendance.

We might be deeper and more experienced at guard, but certainly not in the front court.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jnutt10YS
Jim Eitner

URI wins 132 - 87.
Box score attached.
Attachments
IMG_7786.JPG
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Good defense holding them to 25 percent
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smokinjimit wrote:I know I'm not the only one who can't wait for the season to start. We will be deeper and more experienced than the team that was just beaten by the final 4 team. Skies the limit with this squad.

Sad to say this was the last game on this trip. They only played 2 games.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Says we won 132-87....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Wow Andre Berry. Cyril and Jeff pick up where expected. Jared seems to be having a great couple of weeks, good sign. And Fatts and Preston good encouraging stuff. Tertsea 10/4.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We came close to having 10 guys in double figures. 7 did have double figures and 3 others scored 8.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How's that for balanced scoring...17,17,16, 15,14,11,10,8,8,8,6,2.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Tertsea 10 and 4 in 6 minutes? were they guarding him? Berry 7-10 yesterday I think and then 8 of 10 today? Great efficiency. Daron playing pretty well early.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Either Berry was just too big for these teams or he's the most improved player in the country.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode Island Routs Bahamas All-Stars, 132-87, in Foreign Trip Finale

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017 ... 0811nnod10
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Billyboy78 wrote:Either Berry was just too big for these teams or he's the most improved player in the country.
I am leaning towards the latter - the only thing keeping Berry off the court was Defense and conditioning. He hasa soft touch around the rim and probably would have been playing more last year on 250 other D1 teams. If he can stay on the floor for D he can be really good.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Very encouraging!!!! The B All Stars beat Colorado St and played Nicholls State tough. We win by almost 50 with out EC, who knows the front court competition, but our front court players delivered. This is really the deepest team I've ever seen at Rhody, that's very exciting. Hassan is one of my favorite players all time, but injuries slowed him down quite a bit the last 2 seasons and his rebounding suffered on the defensive side because of his attempts to block so many shots. We may have a better rebounding group here vs last year. We will miss the post moves of Hassan, and Iverson's bursts of offense, (though inconsistent), but scoring doesn't look to be problem with this group as a whole. On paper I think we are better than last year, but only time will tell. Also how does our front court handle real D1 competition, again we'll see, but I for one am very excited to see this group play. Big season ahead.

1988 Sweet Sixteen
1998 Elite 8
2008 we were CFL'd
2018 ???? Could be good :) :D :) :D :) :D
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow we put a severe butt whippin on those guys !!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I can't take it anymore, I know who it refers too, but please someone tell me what CFL means!
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I can't take it anymore, I know who it refers too, but please someone tell me what CFL means!
Jim Baron is CFL - stands for Coach for Life. He gained that nick name when URI gave him a 10 year contract
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I can't take it anymore, I know who it refers too, but please someone tell me what CFL means!
Coach For Life
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

ramster wrote:
Jim Baron is CFL - stands for Coach for Life. He gained that nick name when URI gave him a 10 year contract
They should be giving Hurley a 20 year contract!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mongo wrote:Very encouraging!!!! The B All Stars beat Colorado St and played Nicholls State tough. We win by almost 50 with out EC, who knows the front court competition, but our front court players delivered. This is really the deepest team I've ever seen at Rhody, that's very exciting. Hassan is one of my favorite players all time, but injuries slowed him down quite a bit the last 2 seasons and his rebounding suffered on the defensive side because of his attempts to block so many shots. We may have a better rebounding group here vs last year. We will miss the post moves of Hassan, and Iverson's bursts of offense, (though inconsistent), but scoring doesn't look to be problem with this group as a whole. On paper I think we are better than last year, but only time will tell. Also how does our front court handle real D1 competition, again we'll see, but I for one am very excited to see this group play. Big season ahead.

Really? You can't be serious. You are going to project our rebounding and front court scoring based on two games vs Bahama all star teams. Then you top it off with Hassan's rebounding suffered on the defensive side because of his attempts to block so many shots. Rhody's front court is soo strong this year that Dan is thinking of playing a 4 guard lineup. We will miss Hass and KI greatly this year and it will show up in rebounding. Check back with us during the A10 regular season.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody83 wrote:
Mongo wrote:Very encouraging!!!! The B All Stars beat Colorado St and played Nicholls State tough. We win by almost 50 with out EC, who knows the front court competition, but our front court players delivered. This is really the deepest team I've ever seen at Rhody, that's very exciting. Hassan is one of my favorite players all time, but injuries slowed him down quite a bit the last 2 seasons and his rebounding suffered on the defensive side because of his attempts to block so many shots. We may have a better rebounding group here vs last year. We will miss the post moves of Hassan, and Iverson's bursts of offense, (though inconsistent), but scoring doesn't look to be problem with this group as a whole. On paper I think we are better than last year, but only time will tell. Also how does our front court handle real D1 competition, again we'll see, but I for one am very excited to see this group play. Big season ahead.

Really? You can't be serious. You are going to project our rebounding and front court scoring based on two games vs Bahama all star teams. Then you top it off with Hassan's rebounding suffered on the defensive side because of his attempts to block so many shots. Rhody's front court is soo strong this year that Dan is thinking of playing a 4 guard lineup. We will miss Hass and KI greatly this year and it will show up in rebounding. Check back with us during the A10 regular season.
I stand by it. We'll see, but fact is Hass averaged 6.8 RPG in 27 mpg Langervine 4.5 in 13 mpg as a Fr. I love Hass, one of my favorites of all time, but he would look for the block as much as he boxed out. That's a fact. This is just a prediction, but I think we can be a better defensive rebounding team this year. We were tops in the A10 on the offensive boards, that could be tough to beat. I just think we will all be surprised how well this group handles the boards, just my opinion Mr. Rhody1983 or whatever your name is.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some really good pictures in here if you missed them the first time-

The guys really seemed to get a lot out of that experience. Great trip overall, now they'll be away for a few weeks before the semester starts.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fantastic pictures.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I admit to being pretty disappointed in URI for canceling its trip to Europe because of coward terrorists. Terrorism kills very, very, very, very, very few people. It's effectiveness is based almost entirely on making regular people afraid. And it's bullshit. My opinion has always been that the only respectable response to terrorism is adamant and ferocious defiance.

But, having said that, the Bahamas trip was cool and I'm glad this wasn't Dan and our guys:

http://deadspin.com/oregon-state-basket ... 1797960939
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011