Layssard potential redshirt (No inside info)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Layssard potential redshirt (No inside info)

Unread post by CT Rhody »

So I caught some blowback when I called the Thompson redshirt proposition and from all accounts that appears to be a done deal. You could argue the injury had something to do with that but we don't know that for sure.

On the Layssard topic, Bill Koch who has been at almost every practice this summer as well as the tweets from other individuals who have seen practice, the very early front court projection reads like this. Four guard rotation takes away playing time from the front line with Akele looking like the 4 when they go with a taller lineup. Langevine looks to be a lock at the 5 with Berry appearing to back him up and Preston sucking up potential minutes as well.

That leaves Tertsea and Layssard with extremely limited opportunities for minutes if at all. Without having any inside knowledge and just going by reports and the T leaves, I think Tertsea will be ahead of Layssard due to his 6-11 shot blocking frame which would leave URI in position to redshirt and work on Lyssards game and additional maturity heading into 18-19.

I know the we don't redshirt players crowd will chime in but I think this makes too much sense if they really believe in Lyssards potential.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Layssard potential redshirt (No inside info)

Unread post by adam914 »

What if someone gets hurt? Do we really want to risk a 10 man team?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:What if someone gets hurt? Do we really want to risk a 10 man team?
You can always play him if need be down the stretch. Just don't play him during garbage time at the beginning of the season and see how the season plays out injury wise. Realistically we'll play 8-9 guys. If you redshirt him, that leaves 11 vying for 8-9 heavy rotation minutes.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He will play this season at 21. No way. There is no logjam at his position. He either contributes at this level or he doesn't. A redshirt year with this staff has a specific purpose; it is not something that just kind of happens, as you wait to see how things shake out.
3 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:He will play this season at 21. No way. There is no logjam at his position. He either contributes at this level or he doesn't. A redshirt year with this staff has a specific purpose; it is not something that just kind of happens, as you wait to see how things shake out.
No log jam at his position? Ok how does the frontcourt rotation go then?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I was really hoping Tertsea would be a player by now being our biggest player. Layssard too.
0 x
GO RAMS
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Sorry but I don't see him redshirting. I actually think he'll get 8-10 minutes a game for no reason other than we have some VERY foul prone bigs between Cyril and Berry. I don't see us going 4 guards plus Akele on the floor. So Layssard will get minutes out of necessity IMO.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like Tertsea's upside. Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Dre3000 wrote:Sorry but I don't see him redshirting. I actually think he'll get 8-10 minutes a game for no reason other than we have some VERY foul prone bigs between Cyril and Berry. I don't see us going 4 guards plus Akele on the floor. So Layssard will get minutes out of necessity IMO.
From reports, the way things seem to be shaking out are when we go four guards, we'll see Cyril at the 5 with Berry and Preston backing him up. When we go three guards, we'll see Akele at the 4. I don't see how many minutes of any are left considering the strength of our guards corps driving Dan to play significant minutes with four guards.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

After seeing Preston in person at basketball camp a few weeks ago, I put him in the same category as Nicola, in that he's a 4 not a 5. Although reports are that he's 6'7" I'm not sold. I'll be at the practice on Saturday to get a better feel but I highly doubt he'll play the 5. Though admittedly, right now that's not based on a lot of info.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Dre3000 wrote:After seeing Preston in person at basketball camp a few weeks ago, I put him in the same category as Nicola, in that he's a 4 not a 5. Although reports are that he's 6'7" I'm not sold. I'll be at the practice on Saturday to get a better feel but I highly doubt he'll play the 5. Though admittedly, right now that's not based on a lot of info.
Yea I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Not many teams actually play with a real 5 anymore anyway so maybe that's Dan's thoughts as well.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Preston sure doesn't look like a five.
If he's the most athletic guy they've had in Hurleys tenure then it would be silly to stifle him down low, instead of taking advantage of his athleticism.
I wanna see Laysaard on the court next year.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea only championship teams play with real 5s
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I see Laysard picking up splinters this year no redshirt garbage time only
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It's still crazy to hear Preston being more athletic than Hassan.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Layssard can't play, why would you want him here for 5 years? Is it possible that the staff just missed on this kid?
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

From what I'm hearing from practice is Tertsea is not playing his way into the rotation. Layssard still has a chance to earn minutes. Trip is important for him.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If Layssard can't play, why would you want him here for 5 years? Is it possible that the staff just missed on this kid?
Totally agree.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody15 wrote:It's still crazy to hear Preston being more athletic than Hassan.
Especially since he was relatively unheard of until word of his commitment came down.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This Laysard thing is a mystery.
Talked with someone today, who said Laysard was
too slow to play in Hurley's system.
So, the question is, why was he even recruited, and
subsequently signed?
Same with Tertsea, if he's such a project?
For Laysard, last year was wasted, and that should have
been his red shirt year.
Now, talk of red shirting him this season, making two
wasted years.
Again, it all points to lack of talent evaluation with big men.
Now I'll await the "Hurley is Infallible" crowd to attack.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody15 wrote:It's still crazy to hear Preston being more athletic than Hassan.
Going to be interesting to follow his development and to see how that athleticism plays out in games, as well as to track Khris Lane in-conference.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I have kept and eye on Tertsea and I can tell you to me he looks more athletic and quicker than Layssard.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KevanBoyles wrote:I have kept and eye on Tertsea and I can tell you to me he looks more athletic and quicker than Layssard.
Who knows what Tertsea's path is, but there's precedent in someone like Youssou Ndoye in the A10 to go from inexperienced basketball player to solid contributor by his senior year. Ndoye likely exceeded expectations, but the arc for development, even if less overall, can be there.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:This Laysard thing is a mystery.
subsequently signed?
been his red shirt year.
wasted years.
Maybe you think I am in that crowd, but I don't think I am. My response here is not that Hurley is infallible, but rather that recruiting big men is hard. The ready-made, sure-fire big guys are going to the biggest programs. Everyone else is more or less getting a lottery ticket. So you can point to a good big man at another school that you think URI should be able to compete with for recruits, but in most cases it will have been obvious to nobody beforehand that that specific player would turn out to be so good; for every guy like that, college basketball is littered with similarly regarded high school players that didn't pan out. So much of the development for big guys happens after they're already college-age, and some of that is obviously coaching but a lot of it is just where a guy ends up physically in terms of strength, agility and coordination.

Having said all of that, these two guys are still in their relative infancy as college basketball players. They've played a combined one year and have a combined seven years of eligibility remaining. Even if they don't take a huge leap this year, you're still looking at five more years of eligibility between them to recoup something from the investment you made in them. A little patience is probably in order.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hurley doesn't want to make the same mistake twice.

He played Berry and he dominated. Then Hurley had to hear about Andre Berry.

Now hes keeping Layssard under wraps. Hoping he doesn't just show up and dominate Dayton @Dayton for the victory.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

subsequently signed?
been his red shirt year.
wasted years.
This post makes two pretty big assumptions. One, that the guy you talked to is right and two, that Layssard can't get better
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
subsequently signed?
been his red shirt year.
wasted years.
Maybe you think I am in that crowd, but I don't think I am. My response here is not that Hurley is infallible, but rather that recruiting big men is hard. The ready-made, sure-fire big guys are going to the biggest programs. Everyone else is more or less getting a lottery ticket. So you can point to a good big man at another school that you think URI should be able to compete with for recruits, but in most cases it will have been obvious to nobody beforehand that that specific player would turn out to be so good; for every guy like that, college basketball is littered with similarly regarded high school players that didn't pan out. So much of the development for big guys happens after they're already college-age, and some of that is obviously coaching but a lot of it is just where a guy ends up physically in terms of strength, agility and coordination.

Having said all of that, these two guys are still in their relative infancy as college basketball players. They've played a combined one year and have a combined seven years of eligibility remaining. Even if they don't take a huge leap this year, you're still looking at five more years of eligibility between them to recoup something from the investment you made in them. A little patience is probably in order.
I think this post is spot on. That's why redshirting might not be a bad idea and will allow us three more years with both of these guys developing and getting older. With continued work he could get to the point where he becomes the player we need and then everybody will wish he had one more year of eligibility left.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Hurley doesn't want to make the same mistake twice.

He played Berry and he dominated. Then Hurley had to hear about Andre Berry.

Now hes keeping Layssard under wraps. Hoping he doesn't just show up and dominate Dayton @Dayton for the victory.
An equally drunk guy in a holding cell took down a Dayton big the other day. I don't think that should be as difficult this season.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Berry certainly has good hands and is intuitive around the basket. His offense of skills are obvious. His weight has held him back because he can't move quick enough to play defense. Hopefully with losing more weight he'll be able to play better defense and see more playing time. Does anyone know his current weight?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A point on Laysard.
If speed and quickness is the main issue,
I'm not sure anyone can teach that.
Rebounding technique, post moves, shooting,
can be learned, but not speed.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Another player I like is Akele. You have to love his effort and if you look at his numbers; 49% from the field, 40% from three point line, and 78% from the free-throw line, he compares very favorably with even our most heralded players. In fact, he had the highest three-point percentage and free-throw percentage on the team last year. In addition, he was second on the team (to Hass) in field-goal percentage. Granted, he didn't see as much time and these numbers could fluctuate with more playing time, you have to give credit where credit is due and play the players that bring the most to the table.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Like Rod, I talked to someone today who is an avid reader of this board. He really wondered why this Rod guy is so negative and ..............
 ! Message from: ATPTourFan
Eli has earned a 7 day timeout for trolling despite two warnings
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just don't think Laysard will contribute at least this year . We may be able to get something from him by his senior year hopefully
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote:I have kept and eye on Tertsea and I can tell you to me he looks more athletic and quicker than Layssard.
Athleticism is not the issue
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

subsequently signed?
been his red shirt year.
wasted years.
If Layssard is too slow how about Berry? They had to go zone every time he played. I don't think more weight loss will make Berry quicker.
ARD really built Layssard up so maybe we should be questioning his evaluation skills.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, Mister Status Quo, deflects blame to a coach who's no
longer here.
So, Hurley and the rest of his crew had zero input, and
ARD just went out and signed Laysard all by himself, right?
Get real.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy1979. Please explain your comment.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I don't know if he's improved it since, but Tertsea had lots of trouble catching the ball last year. So much of Hurley's schemes are positioning and timing, and you have to catch the damn ball.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If you want to have any type of post game,
your center needs to have good hands.
Hands of stone can be a huge drawback.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:I don't know if he's improved it since, but Tertsea had lots of trouble catching the ball last year. So much of Hurley's schemes are positioning and timing, and you have to catch the damn ball.
Langevine had the same problem last year although he got better as the year went on.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Rod would never say please!
I don't want to trash the kid too much but he's lacking in quite a few intangibles.
Never know when the light will go on, but he's not taking advantage of the opportunity the way Berry is.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't know how much you can tell at an open practice, but it'll be interesting to see the front court guys. I can't wait.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Same...will be a fun way to start a summer Saturday...then go watch some LEAPFESTers....will be a good day.

https://www.leapfest.com/
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:
KevanBoyles wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: Athleticism is not the issue
Rod would never say please!
I don't want to trash the kid too much but he's lacking in quite a few intangibles.
Never know when the light will go on, but he's not taking advantage of the opportunity the way Berry is.
I'm from Lincoln, not Cranston.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Whatever that means.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

It's a joke Rod.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, that's fine, Kevan.
We need a comic font and a sarcasm font here, because
it's hard to tell what's being said sometimes.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I agree. I always like to give my friends from Cranston a hard time.
2 x