EC Story Coming Soon from Chris DiSano

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

EC Story Coming Soon from Chris DiSano

Unread post by giovanni »

2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: EC story to come

Unread post by bigappleram »

Excited for his senior year. Should be leading candidate for A10 POY and on Cousy list. Finished strong last year.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Looking forward to the article
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gonna go down as one of the most important players to ever wear Keaney Blue.
2 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: EC Story Coming Soon from Chris DiSano

Unread post by Section104 »

Here are some questions without an answer:
If EC did not get injured and played healthy his junior season -
1. Would we have made the NCAA tournament his Junior Season (2015-16)
2. Would he have stayed for his Senior Season?
2b. If no, would we have made the NCAA tournament last year? (2016-17)
3. Would we be the preseason favorite, like we are currently, to return to NCAA tournament and win the A10 without EC this year?

It took a while for EC to get back to the "old EC", but the timing worked out in our favor with EC clicking when it mattered the most. Without Stanford Robinson + Dowtin in 2015-2016 I'm not sure what the ceiling of that team would have been with a healthy EC. There's no right or wrong answer, but I feel like the odds of going 0-3 on tournament births is more likely than 3 for 3 given a scenario that EC was healthy.

Not saying EC being injured was, or is, a good thing, BUT EC, and us as fans, were certainly at an all time low that fateful day in 2015-2016 - compare that where we stand today with a down A10 and one of the top returning backcourts in the country and things are certainly looking great in Kingston. Here's to hoping for a really special final year for EC. It's been a rollercoaster of a 5 years, but I've certainly enjoyed the ride.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Section104 wrote:Here are some questions without an answer:
If EC did not get injured and played healthy his junior season -
1. Would we have made the NCAA tournament his Junior Season (2015-16)
2. Would he have stayed for his Senior Season?
2b. If no, would we have made the NCAA tournament last year? (2016-17)
3. Would we be the preseason favorite, like we are currently, to return to NCAA tournament and win the A10 without EC this year?

It took a while for EC to get back to the "old EC", but the timing worked out in our favor with EC clicking when it mattered the most. Without Stanford Robinson + Dowtin in 2015-2016 I'm not sure what the ceiling of that team would have been with a healthy EC. There's no right or wrong answer, but I feel like the odds of going 0-3 on tournament births is more likely than 3 for 3 given a scenario that EC was healthy.

Not saying EC being injured was, or is, a good thing, BUT EC, and us as fans, were certainly at an all time low that fateful day in 2015-2016 - compare that where we stand today with a down A10 and one of the top returning backcourts in the country and things are certainly looking great in Kingston. Here's to hoping for a really special final year for EC. It's been a rollercoaster of a 5 years, but I've certainly enjoyed the ride.
Those are excellent questions. With everything else being equal (Jarvis, KI, and HM all missing significant time) the answer to #1 is still no. But they do a bit better with EC in there and McGlynn being the first guy off the bench. Other than that, I agree that we'd be closer to 0-3 than 3 for 3. That said, EC's injury might be a blessing in disguise, like Cuttino Mobley's injury early in the '95/96 season.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Great stuff, EC sounds ready!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now, this is an interesting quote:

"I think a lot of people should watch out for Andre Berry. I think his role is going to increase this year. Being one of the older guys, he’s hungry to help our team win and wants to be one of the main reasons why. He’s cut down his weight even more, is our best post player, has great footwork in the post, and has extended his range some too."

He's our "best post player?" Is Cyril not a post player?
Last edited by Rhody74 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Maybe he means back to the basket player, Berry does seem to have more post moves than Cyril.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

EC's a special young man. Rhode Island's been lucky to have him. I'm not sure I can put into words how much I want everything this season for EC and Jared and Jarvis and the rest.
7 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That sounds like a special relationship he has with Dan and Andrea. I've always been impressed by EC when I hear him interviewed.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think the EC Mathews story has yet to be written. I'm hoping to see it this year!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Such a likable and humble kid. Why not us?!?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

November is too far away right now...
Can EC finally be the NBA player we were told he was going to be?
If he plays at that level, what defense will be able to stop us? Certainly not one in the A-10.
I think Jared Terrell is going to be fantastic as well. He's at least going to get a shot in the summer league next year. Hoping to see some '88 '98 level backcourt play!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article such an easy guy to root for
0 x