Open Practice - Saturday August 5th - 9-11am

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Open Practice - Saturday August 5th - 9-11am

Unread post by section(105) »

......I left before the end......any free throw practice? lol:
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Precautionary on EC? The injury happened two years ago. What gives?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

theblueram wrote:Precautionary on EC? The injury happened two years ago. What gives?
He looked great at the practice.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Great wroteup from all, thank you for all that information! Surprised nobody posted this..
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Knew it. Dowtin taking the point.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That's not official ... it's Koch's opinion.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote:Precautionary on EC? The injury happened two years ago. What gives?
I believe he had a clean up procedure this off season. No point in pushing it, he'll be ready.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
I believe he had a clean up procedure this off season. No point in pushing it, he'll be ready.
Yes, he did have some minor surgery on the knee. Plus, let the unproven guys play in the Bahamas. Need to see who steps up. Great to see the big men play well today, all played respectably.

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EC needs to play this season like the NBA is on the line. Because it is.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Had a minor clean up procedure in off season. ECs a 5th year senior trying to prepare himself for a professional career...no need to push it in meaningless games in August. We talkin bout practice! Plus like others have said, gives Dan an opportunity to let the other 5 guards get some time together, we know what we have in EC.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seems EC knows what he needs to do and has his personal and team goals in place. This from the recent article from Chris DiSano when he sat down with EC.....

Finally, how will you define both individual and team success this season?

For me, pushing the envelope and saying, “Why not me?” I definitely feel I have the talent and skills to be one of the best players in the country. I say this humbly as it’s a goal, but I want to be the best player ever to come out of Rhode Island… I want to win another Atlantic 10 title and I want to go far in the NCAA’s. Team-wise, I feel like it goes hand in hand. We have a lot of leaders on the team and I need to be a main one and I feel, again, like we can push the envelope. Why can’t we be that team that surprises the nation and goes all out; has a Cinderella season? I know it will take a lot of hard work. I’m working at it every day and my teammates are working at it too.

https://www.yurview.com/ncaa-basketball ... -matthews/
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Impressed by Berry today.....again not great on d but offensively they have to have him in there for stretches this season...

Now I see why they liked Preston...he will see some good minutes also...

EC? The best player on the floor, bar none....I noticed that he has lowered his dribble and improved with his right hand....if he stays healthy he will have a huge season.

Need to find a "closer"....a guy that can finish games....to me that's the key to a big season.
4 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Impressed by Berry today.....again not great on d but offensively they have to have him in there for stretches this season...

Now I see why they liked Preston...he will see some good minutes also...

EC? The best player on the floor, bar none....I noticed that he has lowered his dribble and improved with his right hand....if he stays healthy he will have a huge season.

Need to find a "closer"....a guy that can finish games....to me that's the key to a big season.
If EC truly lowered his dribble that will only help his first step quickness with the ball. Hopefully that is a point of focus this summer!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He has, one on one he was basically unstoppable........he could see the NBA draft for sure.

I got a kick out of Dan at the end of practice, when he said "we'll be a lot better by November"......

Fatts is fast....he will be very good in time......Akele is another who impressed.
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Thanks for all who posted about the practice. I truly appreciate your take on the players.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:He has, one on one he was basically unstoppable........he could see the NBA draft for sure.

I got a kick out of Dan at the end of practice, when he said "we'll be a lot better by November"......

Fatts is fast....he will be very good in time......Akele is another who impressed.
I expect Akele to take a huge step forward this year, especially if he starts I would expect his confidence level to go sky high which is what he needs.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Akele will be an X factor guy this year. Don't know what to expect from him, but if he can be an 8-10ppg guy with some boards and smart D he can be a difference maker. He's shown ability in spurts. Can the baby giraffe grow into his body?!??
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Akele looked like he put on some muscle. He definitely played with more confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if he started, especially against taller opponents.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A working vacation for Rams
Team heads to the Bahamas for practice, games

By Bill Koch Journal Sports Writer

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... ty=ar02502
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the article Terrell to play limited minutes as well, giving more playing time to the others.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wonder how many pros will be on the Bahamian national team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:Wonder how many pros will be on the Bahamian national team.
I think this is pretty much the team. Ayton is very talented.
http://www.latinbasket.com/Bahamas/bask ... l-Team.asp
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Not sure who it was that reported they'd be playing the Bahamian national team but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. From what I understand they'll be playing 2 different "all-star" teams there. Similar to what UNC did a few years ago.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Did anyone else notice how thin Jarvis is? I'm wondering how much his illness is affecting him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Did anyone else notice how thin Jarvis is? I'm wondering how much his illness is affecting him.
I'm pretty sure back when he got sick that I looked up his condition (can't remember the name right now) and it is one that sticks with the person for the rest of their life.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:Not sure who it was that reported they'd be playing the Bahamian national team but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. From what I understand they'll be playing 2 different "all-star" teams there. Similar to what UNC did a few years ago.
August 9 @ 5pm Rhode Island University vs NPBA All Stars (lost to Penn State on Aug 6 by 109-105 in which NPBA was led by Eugene Bain with 32 points, 8 rebounds, Michael Bain with 17 points, 10 assists, 8 steals and by Salathiel Dean with 27 points, 7 rebounds.

August 11 @ 12pm Rhode Island University vs Bahamas All Stars (lost to Nichols State on Aug 4 by 106-103 in which Bahamas All Stars were led by Eugene Bain with 35 points, 7 rebounds, Livingston Munnings with 14 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals and Nashad Mackey with 14 points, 9 rebounds. Michael Bain had 7 points, 2 rebounds. Michael Bain and Eugene Bain played for both NPBA All Stars and Bahamas All Stars.

Note that they call us Rhode Island University and they also show the Rhode Island College Logo :D

http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/compet ... 9/schedule
http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/compet ... 94/preview

http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/compet ... 0/schedule

Penn State Article:
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-bas ... 17aac.html
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Thoughts from practice:

-EC going right a lot more, much stronger and quicker

-Cyril did not look bigger, but looked quicker and more athletic than last year. Probably a point of emphasis for the off season

-Fatts is the fastest guy out there but the shots weren't falling. He will be able to get shots at will in the future as quick as he is. Will also live on the foul line being that quick and fearless in the paint.

-Akele much more confident in his handle. Drove the lane a few times.

-Preston is the most athletic guy we've had since Ulmer. He leaps like Hassan but is much quicker laterally.

-I don't think Layssard is going to make it in the A-10.

-Tertsea doesn't have great hands yet, but definitely has a nice jumper 10-12 feet out. Didn't show it in live drills, but looked good in the shooting drills.

-Jarvis looked healthy. shot wasn't really falling though. (illness was ulcerative colitis)

-Stan's release looked much more natural than last year.
3 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Dre3000 wrote:Not sure who it was that reported they'd be playing the Bahamian national team but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. From what I understand they'll be playing 2 different "all-star" teams there. Similar to what UNC did a few years ago.
According to this tweet, you are correct.

We're playing NPBA All Stars and Bahamas All Stars.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
According to this tweet, you are correct.

We're playing NPBA All Stars and Bahamas All Stars.
As I posted earlier today:

August 9 @ 5pm Rhode Island University vs NPBA All Stars (lost to Penn State on Aug 6 by 109-105 in which NPBA was led by Eugene Bain with 32 points, 8 rebounds, Michael Bain with 17 points, 10 assists, 8 steals and by Salathiel Dean with 27 points, 7 rebounds.

August 11 @ 12pm Rhode Island University vs Bahamas All Stars (lost to Nichols State on Aug 4 by 106-103 in which Bahamas All Stars were led by Eugene Bain with 35 points, 7 rebounds, Livingston Munnings with 14 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals and Nashad Mackey with 14 points, 9 rebounds. Michael Bain had 7 points, 2 rebounds. Michael Bain and Eugene Bain played for both NPBA All Stars and Bahamas All Stars.
0 x