The Ryan Center at 15 Years

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

The Ryan Center at 15 Years

Unread post by RF1 »

The 54 million dollar 7,657-seat multi-purpose Ryan Center hit its 15th anniversary this week as it was officially opened 06/20/02. The building is named for Thomas M. Ryan, Class of 1975, former CEO of Rhode Island-based CVS Pharmacy and lead benefactor of the arena. It is the primary home of the URI Men's basketball program which played its first game, an OT win over USC, on Nov. 26, 2002. Since that time, the venue has hosted hundreds of URI mens' and women's basketball games, state high school basketball championships, numerous college and high school graduations, concerts, trade shows, family entertainment, comedians, and famous guest speakers.

What are posters best memories from those fifteen years?

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Re: The Ryan Center at 15 Years

Unread post by Rhodysk »

1st one is the very first PeeCee game at the RC!
Game was played in a state shut down blizzard but somehow over 10,000 people showed up.
( before the fire laws)
2nd is seeing the faces of people like Tom Penders, Al Skinner, Tommy Garrick, Carlton Owens, Cuttino Mobley when they see the RC the first time and couldn't believe this was actually at URI.

Of all the crap that URI athletic dept gets ( sometimes well deserved) safe to say they hit it out of the park with the RC!
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Some of my favorite memories of events at the RC that I attended

URI Men's Games
11/26/02 73-71 W SO. CALIFORNIA (OT) First game/win at the RC. Fireworks display in the sky afterward.
12/21/02 71-87 L PITTSBURGH (#2) Largest record crowd of 8,121
3/19/03 61-60 W SETON HALL (NIT-1) First Postseason win at RC-big comeback
12/6/03 89-79 W PROVIDENCE First game/win over PC at RC in the midst of a huge blizzard but still packed
2/28/04 55-57 L SAINT JOSEPH'S ESPN game with Vitale vs undefeated Hawks
11/22/14 66-62 W NEBRASKA (OT) First win at RC over ranked team

Other:
2002 Summer Open House - first visit ever to the Ryan Center-entire building open for viewing (court/locker rooms/offices/concourses).
Seeing the URI Athletics HOF photo of my Brother-in-Law hanging on the wall for first time
03/12/11 2011 Girls RI State D2 Championship Game - watched my niece score 20 points in finals win and be named Tournament MVP
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The last second Dayton win. This was the only time I went on the court after a game. It seemed the entire crowd was on the floor. Blue Man (when he was still Blue Man), was running like a madman giving high fives to every fan he could. I got one myself. That's one game I'll never forget.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The one game that stands out for me is the 2010 game against Temple. It went into overtime. The crowd was LOUD. I had my then 3 year old daughter with me who had to go to the bathroom just as overtime tipped off. I was like REALLY? NOW?? hahaha.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If I had to pick one it would be the st. Joes game. Number 1 team and Dickie V in the house!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe it's just because I was a student at the time, but it's hard to beat the opening night USC win for me. That was a ton of fun.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Folks probably aren't gonna like this, but...I'm new, so here goes...

PC @ URI, Dec 2015. Playing a ranked team, with two NBA draft picks...without the guy who was supposed to be their best player...with a chance to win right up until the final (crappy) ending. Tremendous atmosphere, one of the highest volume crowds I've ever been a part of for its size...truly a puke-ish ending, but definitely a great event. Can't wait for it this year (except for that it will also mean...ugh...==> "winter"...)

Second...the Davidson game with EC's late dunk...kinda changed everything (or solidified it, depending on how you look at it) last year...

My kids were at the Nebraska game, daughter chose that one...the wife and I still lived in CT, but watched it on TV...got to see our kids storm the court, that was pretty cool, too.

And, would have to say...for a 15 year old place...the Ry looks pretty good.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

USC game was great and only being a few years removed from graduating was the only time I had rushed the court. We actually scored last minute seats only a few rows behind the USC bench and laid into the coach - this was before the student section REALLY heated up in the next few years but so much fun.

The #1 Hawks game would have been the greatest memory if the Rams could have pulled it off. My season tickets were in the front row of the upper level in front of the big Hawks cheering section, and I would have loved to dish it back and shut them up at the end.

Concert-wise, I enjoyed the Counting Crows show in the first few years of the building and have been to a few of the Boston Pops Christmas shows as well.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Went to the unveiling and remember looking up from the floor at the steepness of the upper deck and getting chills with the strong feeling of alumni ownership!

Was there for the exciting USC home opener - had incredible seats, still have a couple opening night drink cups and ticket stubs!
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

I was a Freshman in 2002. Went to the USC opening night win with Fireworks as we were walking out after the game.

I've been hooked/ addicted ever since!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhodysk wrote:1st one is the very first PeeCee game at the RC!
Game was played in a state shut down blizzard but somehow over 10,000 people showed up.
( before the fire laws)
2nd is seeing the faces of people like Tom Penders, Al Skinner, Tommy Garrick, Carlton Owens, Cuttino Mobley when they see the RC the first time and couldn't believe this was actually at URI.

Of all the crap that URI athletic dept gets ( sometimes well deserved) safe to say they hit it out of the park with the RC!
Definitely not 10,000 people there. It sounded like it though. Only the very first season of the Ryan Center had any games where SRO tickets were sold. In that first season, the Pitt game had 8121 and the Senior Night game vs UMass had a bit over 7700 technically exceeding the seating in the Ryan Center.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote: Definitely not 10,000 people there. It sounded like it though. Only the very first season of the Ryan Center had any games where SRO tickets were sold. In that first season, the Pitt game had 8121 and the Senior Night game vs UMass had a bit over 7700 technically exceeding the seating in the Ryan Center.
The Ryan Center opened in June 2002 with less restrictive fire codes which allowed for an additional 500 SRO. The Station nightclub fire occurred Thursday, February 20, 2003, in West Warwick claiming 100 fatalities. RI fire codes were then subsequently strengthened and SRO at the RC was eliminated. I understood it at the time given the limited exits. I however have always wondered if the ban on SRO tickets needed to remain AFTER the Meade west stands were constructed as they added many more exit routes.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

The USC game has to always be a top 5 moment due to the fact it was the first ever (real) game played at the RC. For me, the St. Joe game when they were number 1 (or was it 2) is a close 2nd. Then those NIT games the first 2 years were great atmosphere's as well.

Some other thoughts: Watching Antonio Gates put in WORK the first year of the RC was pretty cool, probably only because now he is going to be a first-ballot HOFer in another sport. The PC game in the winter storm was NOT a full-house, but it was crazy watching Hellenga shoot from deep and not miss. I also enjoyed watching those early Xavier teams come in with talents like David West, Romain Sato, Lionel Chalmers - they were a treat to watch. Also the BC team with Dudley and Smith and coached by Skinner was a cool game.

I think my picks tend to be the earlier games at the RC because I don't think the Pittsburgh's, BC's and even USC's will be coming to us OOC anytime soon. Good memories though!
1 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My Top 5 Moments at the Ryan
1.PC game in 2010 when we came back down 14 at halftime to win.
2.Nebraska Game defeating a ranked opponent for the first time in over a decade in OT
3.Davidson game in 2016 (greatest game I've ever witnessed) URI wins in OT
4.(My First URI game ever) URI misses a game winner and loses to #2 in the country St. Joes
5.BC game in 2010 (loudest game I've been too) NBA guard Reggie Jackson misses a game winner and URI wins 67-65
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The BC game in Keaney with Bagley was even more nuts...

RC love fest thread poach off....

Agree on the Davidson game, most excellent right up there for sure.....
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

( before the fire laws)

THIS

Was at that game as a student and still the loudest and biggest lions den atmosphere Ive seen for a game.

Saw 2 distinct looks on PC fans faces:

1. deer in the headlights fear
2. envy for having an on campus arena and all the crowd benefits of it.

a distant #2 was the NIT comeback against Seton Hall
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

( before the fire laws)

Great game. Great memories. I remember walking down from my dorm for that one!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Sorry for the long post coming.

December of 2001. Seeing the new plans for Meade Stadium that had just come out. What a complex we were going to have!

The spring of 2002 sitting in the Meade bleachers on a nice day talking about the future of the program with someone that posts here occasionally. We had already played our last game in Keaney and the exterior work on the Ryan Center was pretty much done if not already done. It just seemed like endless potential for our program and surely we would be back in the tournament in no time.

The 2002 Open House. My first and only time in the Rhody costume. What a building!

I know this next one doesn't technically count. 2002 game against Pittsburgh, a game I never went to. The night before my dad and I went to Dave Matthews Band at Madison Square Garden and were walking around the city the day of the game. Getting ready to come home we were briefly kicking around the idea of going to night 2 at the Garden, but in the back of my head I was hoping we could get back into the Kingston area in time to go to the game. The good news: We never did get back into Kingston in time to go to a game that seemed like a blowout. The bad news: We missed out on night 2's special guest, James Brown joining the band for an 11 minute version of Sex Machine. Still my greatest concert regret, and I'm not sure what could possibly come up now to top it.

The 2003 NIT game against Temple. My first time being in the building when I could tell just how loud and disruptive a crowd there could be. If we could get at least 6000 a night it would be amazing.

The 2004 game against St. Joe's when they came in #2 in the country. My friend was able to sneak me into the student section for that one. What a game and atmosphere, but obviously an unfortunate ending. ESPN2 game with Dick Vitale on the call against a top 5 team, it felt huge before the game even started, the kind of game the Ryan Center was built for.

2010 game against Davidson. My final time being able to sneak into the old student section area, mostly because the game was played during Thanksgiving weekend and most students were gone. Delroy James' 1000 point and spending the game taunting Brendan McKillop and calling him Captain Nepotism as he shot 0-7 on the game. The Davidson fans legitimately seemed to want to fight.

The Nebraska game. Again, great atmosphere and game. I know what Nebraska went on to do that year, but I also know they came in ranked and we beat them. Just sitting back and watching everyone on the court, I didn't want to leave the building. Was on the phone with a friend of mine for about an hour that night just talking about how basketball was finally all the way back.

The 2015 game against UMass. Blowing their doors off, ending their streak against us, and ending the night in a tie for first. We've got a chance to dance!

The 2015 Senior Day win against St. Joe's. The pregame meal at Mews with old friend's from college. Seeing the 75 feet of snow we got that winter finally melting. Saying goodbye to TJ, Gil, and Eric. The dominant second half. Hassan's dunk through the hoop and into the St. Joe's players face. TJ kissing the floor as he left. Eric's shot.

The Dartmouth and Marist games this year. We're back baby! What hype? It's not hype if it's real!

The La Salle game. How could they play such a stinker when they needed to respond after the Dayton loss? Not jumping for the opening tip, subbing out the whole starting lineup at the beginning of the second half, just a complete disaster.

The UMass game. This is even worse than La Salle! How can they be down this much to UMass! Oh, they pulled it off! Oh wait, maybe we didn't pull it off yet. Ok, we really, really did pull it off. Our season is barely alive, they need to be MUCH better going forward for any hope.

The St. Bonaventure game. Ok, this is more like it! If we can go on a roll here we've got a shot!

The Fordham game. My God the Fordham game. I honestly think my face looked the same way as if I was watching a family member get killed. Season's over.

The VCU game. Despite being one of the more positive members on the board, I expected the previous couple wins to just be setting us up for the VCU game to be a nut punch. I even admitted as much to my cousin on the way down there, and right as I did the 80's Hair Metal channel played Keep the Faith by Bon Jovi. That sign and the copious amounts of alcohol at the Mews had me confident for the game. And what a game it was.

Davidson. 9 down, 6 to go. This isn't how Senior Night is supposed to be. This isn't how Hassan is supposed to go out. Well it's official, win out in the A10 or it's NIT again. Wait, what's happening? Holy shit, we're coming back! EC, what a dunk! Thank you Hassan, thank you Kuran!

March 23rd. That's a really nice trophy we've got!
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

St. Joes undefeated was the best game at the Ryan Center. I am pretty sure I got to the game at door open (2 hours before) and don't think I ever sat down. We had games where the crowd was in the game, but it was the first time I really remember it being loud tip to the inbound play turn over. it was probably the most student spirited game I attended during my 6 years at URI. One of my friends wrote his homecoming essay about the experience with me at the game the next year, and won the homecoming crown.

The So Cal game was a ton of fun, and the quiet as they watched the replay and the URI player who had been over the ref shoulder watching celebrating right before the court storming.

The Davidson game this year that I decided to go to 2 days before because I damn sure wasn't going to go a whole season, when the Rams might finally get to the NCAA(as slight as they might of felt at that point) and not see a game in person. the dying as they fell behind and crowd pretty much willing EC and Hass to pull that game out.

Not games but other strong memories:
the valpo morning start was fun with the tailgate meeting many of this board and putting faces and names.
Watching Jimmy Baron shoot a 3 pointer from what felt like the other teams 3 point line and have full confidence it was going in
Hellanga and the love him/ate him relationship I developed with him though I don't think I ever talked to him
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I need to make it back sooner rather than later and check out the building and hopefully catch a game. Last time I was on campus was 1995.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

DanInAZ wrote:I need to make it back sooner rather than later and check out the building and hopefully catch a game. Last time I was on campus was 1995.
You probably won't even recognize the campus. Leaps and bounds.
1 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I would say the Ryan Center has been a huge success.
I would think a 12,000 seat new football stadium would also be a huge success, and I am not talking about a revamped Meade.
Ryan Center at 15, but is has been almost 20 years since the Ryan Center plan came into being, and no such plans for URI football, after all this time.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

OBRAM wrote:I would say the Ryan Center has been a huge success.
I would think a 12,000 seat new football stadium would also be a huge success, and I am not talking about a revamped Meade.
Ryan Center at 15, but is has been almost 20 years since the Ryan Center plan came into being, and no such plans for URI football, after all this time.
A new football stadium next to the ryan and we have the nicest major sports felicities in New England outside of BC.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
OBRAM wrote:I would say the Ryan Center has been a huge success.
A new football stadium next to the ryan and we have the nicest major sports felicities in New England outside of BC.
I'm going to Rentschler Field tomorrow for US vs. Ghana. I guess I'll be able to compare it to BC's stadium. The Ryan Center blows away Conte Forum, that's for sure.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've only been once, but Rentschler is nice. It's set up a lot like the upper deck at Gillette, where you have the middle open concourse with stairs to the upper or lower level, so you have an open view on the concourse. Roomier and nicer than Alumni Stadium at BC.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Though BC is set on a college campus, so it's a nice venue in that regard. Rentschler is just in a massive open area, so not much atmosphere surrounding the stadium. Because of the open area you can tailgate at Rent, you can't at BC unless you're a donor, although I found the tailgating before the UConn game pretty cold. It seemed like if they didn't know you when you pulled into the lot, they didn't care to know you while you were there.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Its too bad that UConn plays nearly all its high profile events (Football, MBB, WBB) off campus quite a distance away in Hartford and East Hartford. It really takes the "college" out of college athletics.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea I forgot to mention that I meant ok campus facilities.
0 x
GO RAMS