NBA Draft....Hassan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: NBA Draft....Hassan

Unread post by reef »

Scoochie got some minutes for the Celts tonight
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can watch most all the Orlando - NY Knicks game in this 9 minute YouTube.
At the 6:15 point of the video you can see the great block Hassan put on Plumlee - announcer makes special note of the athletic move by HM
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The magic play at 10:00am tomorrow.
Should be some more Hass action in that one after playing so well today.
That block on Plumlee made my heart warm.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Hass is looking great - he looks a lot more comfortable on the perimeter with the ball. If he keeps improving that part of his game he will get there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin gets another start today :D :D as Orlando plays Charlotte on the Playoff Day for the 5th place game
HM has 2 rebounds and 2 early fouls in first 5 minutes of play. Magic leads 22-21 at end of 1st Q
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At the half Magic down 9 points at halftime. Martin 0-1 FG, 4 rebounds, 4 fouls in 12 minutes of play
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Hass played much of the 2nd quarter and was noticed by the announcers. They called him an "undersized center" but a very good player who plays better defense in the low post rather than the perimeter. Fair assessment. To my eyes he played his typical high motor defense and was active on the boards.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hass definitely did better yesterday.
He only got three shots off today. One of them a missed layup, one was a and 1 and he missed a tough hook shot.
He was only able to get shots off pick and rolls. Just like here.
He was being a 6'6 power forward out there. O'Bryant was a tough matchup for him. He scored on Hass a lot and most of Hass' fouls were against him.
Hope he can tag on with a G-league team. He needs to improve his off the ball defense and add some more to his offensive arsenal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hass looks a bit undersized at the NBA level . I think we see him in the D League and you never know if he does well there then he may get his shot
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reef wrote:Hass looks a bit undersized at the NBA level . I think we see him in the D League and you never know if he does well there then he may get his shot

I think he could fit in nicely as a Jae Crowder type of wing. A bit undersized but has the strength and athleticism to make up for it. Glue guy that provides rebounding and rock solid defense on a 3 or 4. Not a star, but the type of guy winning teams need.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Crowder hits 3s. Hassan's lack of an outside shot will keep him out of the NBA.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Iggy1979 wrote:Crowder hits 3s. Hassan's lack of an outside shot will keep him out of the NBA.
sure, now he does. but he didnt early in his career, he was a certified brick layer.

first 3 years shooting:

y1: 38.4 fg%, 32.8 3pt% (0.8 3pt baskets per game)
y2: 43.9 fg%, 33.1 3pt% (0.6 3pt baskets per game)
y3: 42.0 fg%, 29.3 3pt% (0.7 3pt baskets per game)
0 x
---
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would bet Crowder is 2-3 inches taller than Martin.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I would bet Crowder is 2-3 inches taller than Martin.
nope, shorter.

Crowder is 6'6 235
Hassan is 6'7 236
0 x
---
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Crowder can shoot, but when he can't shoot, hes awful. Hes slow, and isn't aggressive in the paint. No way Crowder is taller either.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Crowder can also dribble.
Hass can not dribble or shoot at this point.
I think a better comparison would be Kenneth Faried.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Crowder hits 3s. Hassan's lack of an outside shot will keep him out of the NBA.
sure, now he does. but he didnt early in his career, he was a certified brick layer.

first 3 years shooting:

To be fair to Crowder though, he was fine shooting them in college: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... der-1.html - Took 4.1 per game, made 1.4, shot 35 percent. Not sharpshooter numbers, but a comfortable amount. He was also Big East PotY in 2011-12 and averaged 17 points per game.

Martin took 24 three-pointers, total, in four years. He might develop into a Crowder-type, but they're substantially different players at this point.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hassan Martin will not even come close to the player Jae Crowder is. Let's be real.

Love Hassan to death, but it's not even close.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't like the Crowder comparison Crowder is more of a small forward outside player who shoots 3s and slashes to the basket
Hass is more of an undersized power forward with limited range on his outside shot
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Blows my mind there are so many here thinking Martin is close to Crowder.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Blows my mind there are so many here thinking Martin is close to Crowder.
Wasn't it 1 person?
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think he COULD become close to a crowder type player if given a chance to play the wing position in the D-league. He needs to work on his handle a lot, but it would not surprise me if he was already a 35%ish shooter from deep if given those shot opportunities. He has a good looking mid range shot, just not given a lot of chances in college to shoot threes.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hass is closer to a Jordan Mickey type
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Blows my mind there are so many here thinking Martin is close to Crowder.
The reading comprehension here blows my mind...

I said
I think he could fit in nicely as a Jae Crowder type of wing. A bit undersized but has the strength and athleticism to make up for it. Glue guy that provides rebounding and rock solid defense on a 3 or 4. Not a star, but the type of guy winning teams need.
As in he can fill the ROLE that Crowder does. Never said he was as good as Crowder.

Some of you could stand to read what's written instead of assuming shit
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

first 3 years shooting:

In two years at Marquette, Crowder shot almost 300 3s and shot 35%. In four years at URI, Martin shot 24 3s and made 3 of them for 12.5%.

I love Hassan as much as anybody around, but let's not make him out to be something he isn't. Personally, I don't want to see him toil away in the D-league. I hope he uses this good summer league performance and his great college career to leverage a spot in a top euro league, where I think his obscene athleticism can make him a very good player for a long time, if not a bona fide star.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I didn't want to get into it. But crowder dominated college competition from the wing. Player of the year. Martin didn't do that. Martin dominated the A10 at times from the center position.

A 6"6 center versus a 6"6 guy that has played small forward his whole career.

The crowder comparison likely only stems from the fact we are in the Boston market and crowder is perceived as a limited muscle-bound wing player. Leading people here to think our own muscle-bound Martin who flashes a soft touch from 15 feet could take a few steps and resemble Crowder.

But Martin couldn't dribble in the A10. Often when faced with a player that put the ball on the deck Martin didn't do so hot guarding them. Martin plays defense and offense like a center. Idk why considering his height but he just does. The Faried and Millsap comps are way closer. The thing is all the NBA household names were phenomenal college players. Faried led the country in rebounding. Martin was good but he wasn't off the charts. Many/most NBA players were off the charts at one thing or many.

Jordan Mickey? Martin beat him! I won money off my buddy(LSU grad) with that game. Gil played awesome that night too.
0 x