Coaching staff 17-18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: Coaching staff 17-18

Unread post by giovanni »

CTRamfan wrote:Tom Moore is a good hire.........
....A head coach in D1 for ten years. Can assume many roles.
....QU's APR was slightly better than ours. QU has academic standards equal to ours.
....brought in "high character" players". Only one issue about eight years ago. Dealt with!

Seems to have a similar game plan as Hurley's.....Good defense, good rebounding, keeps it simple on offense. He has had a handful of 6-7, 6-9
Hassan's. All great rebounders and defenders. Suffered from guard play [low shooting percentage] over the years,

....written by a QU alumni and former eighth man a long time ago.

ARD - an offer too good to refuse. A raise probably in the 50k range, and two hours from home. Al is just down the road in Atlanta, and maybe ARD's stepping stone to a HC job at Kennesaw.

Carr - I always felt Carr was like a JB's Clarke.
Speaking of which, he is back as a HC at a prep school in western NY.
Ditto. Like the hire and speed of the hire a lot. Moore was considered a rising star in the coaching world back in his UConn days. I thought he could succeed at a high level at that time too. Although he wasn't great at QU, he wasn't awful either. Welcome aboard. Plus adds some excellent experience for a staff that has pretty much lacked that in the past. Both coaching wise and recruiting wise.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Moore will make $500,000 next season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Moore will make $500,000 next season.

How much of that is QU paying?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

My understanding is he gets his QU salary ($500,000 a year) for the next two years minus his URI salary.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Tom98 wrote:Does anyone think it's possible we bring in Bob Sr?? What an opportunity to bring him in. I'm talking about a role as a bench coach/3rd assistant. I would highly support it and we wouldn't have to worry about him leaving...lol. Also Dan has proven himself now at the collegiate level....A10 title/ 1 minute away from sweet sixteen. So it doesn't look bad bringing his dad on board. It's not like I can't get this team over the hump so I need to bring my dad in. I just think about the opportunity to bring in a HOF coach who can be a great asset to our program.
I read this and couldn't move away from rude comments to make about being unintelligent so I'm going to just say this, you have. I clue of what you're talking about when building a staff and clearly didn't have a father who was involved in competitive sports that you then followed in whether as a kid or past that. You should stick to clapping and cheering.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:If Tom Moore can replicate what he did at UConn,
he could be a great addition.
However, I thought Ty Boswell was supposed to be the
New England guy in recruiting?
ARD was a link to the talent laden Atlanta and Florida areas.
Rod, wouldn't you rather have strength in the New England recruiting circles. I mean seeing how successful Expressions was in getting Talented kids like JT I'm sure Coach Boswell wasn't best friends with every AAU coach he went up against or all of the coaches in the Nepsac. Hiring Moore is a great decision imo. Also gives Dan another guy who's been a head coach to bounce in game ideas off of...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just checked out Quinnipiac's roster from last year to get an idea of where they were getting kids. Only 2 New Englanders, one from CT and one from Mass. 3 kids from Maryland, one each from Florida, California, Washington, NY, NJ, Illinois and Cameroon. Of course, this probably reflects his assistant 's ties, but a pretty wide range of recruiting areas.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Moore is a huge get. Hurley is getting after it big time now.

Also as a lover of the grit and toughness players from New England and the Tri-State area have...it's awesome having someone with the pedigree of Moore to get more of those guys here
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Rod, wouldn't you rather have strength in the New England recruiting circles. I mean seeing how successful Expressions was in getting Talented kids like JT I'm sure Coach Boswell wasn't best friends with every AAU coach he went up against or all of the coaches in the Nepsac. Hiring Moore is a great decision imo. Also gives Dan another guy who's been a head coach to bounce in game ideas off of...
Show me where I said ANYTHING negative about Moore's hire?
I'm questioning if you need two coaches in the same area.
You've lost Midwest recruiting when PM left, Northeast when Murray left,
and now Southern hotbeds with ARD leaving.
It's been mentioned on this thread that Moore seems to have a wide
recruiting map in the past, so it may be a moot point.

I don't get the vitriol towards Tom98 for merely suggesting Bob Sr.
be brought on.
It's been brought up before.
I doubt Dan would want his father looking over his shoulder, however,
as he wants to make his own mark in the game.
1 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think we will see a lot of Bob SR around. Prob be in Tempe a bit too....

Not the worst thing to have a supportive dad....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
Tom98 wrote:Does anyone think it's possible we bring in Bob Sr?? What an opportunity to bring him in. I'm talking about a role as a bench coach/3rd assistant. I would highly support it and we wouldn't have to worry about him leaving...lol. Also Dan has proven himself now at the collegiate level....A10 title/ 1 minute away from sweet sixteen. So it doesn't look bad bringing his dad on board. It's not like I can't get this team over the hump so I need to bring my dad in. I just think about the opportunity to bring in a HOF coach who can be a great asset to our program.
I read this and couldn't move away from rude comments to make about being unintelligent so I'm going to just say this, you have. I clue of what you're talking about when building a staff and clearly didn't have a father who was involved in competitive sports that you then followed in whether as a kid or past that. You should stick to clapping and cheering.
I may not agree with Tom's thought but I'll respect his right to offer the thought and he did so in an opinion gathering manner - just bouncing the idea around.
No need to be so mean and insinuating things about his father. Don't need to bully him.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
Show me where I said ANYTHING negative about Moore's hire?
I'm questioning if you need two coaches in the same area.
You've lost Midwest recruiting when PM left, Northeast when Murray left,
and now Southern hotbeds with ARD leaving.
It's been mentioned on this thread that Moore seems to have a wide
recruiting map in the past, so it may be a moot point.

I don't get the vitriol towards Tom98 for merely suggesting Bob Sr.
be brought on.
It's been brought up before.
I doubt Dan would want his father looking over his shoulder, however,
as he wants to make his own mark in the game.
Roderick,

I was asking you pleasantly, don't hold a grudge brother, I think I apologize for a few months ago issue...
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No problem NRF. It's all good.
You certainly know your stuff.
Oh, and it's Rodney.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loving this stuff with the staff. We are building something special here long term consistent growth
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

rodfromcranston wrote:No problem NRF. It's all good.
You certainly know your stuff.
Oh, and it's Rodney.
I threw it out there, I only know you as Rod. I usually do know my stuff, as you know the historic side of our program. It's good having your insight.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
I may not agree with Tom's thought but I'll respect his right to offer the thought and he did so in an opinion gathering manner - just bouncing the idea around.
No need to be so mean and insinuating things about his father. Don't need to bully him.
No one is "bullying" anyone, let's not be snowflakes...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"No one is "bullying" anyone, let's not be snowflakes"- NRF

Claude "Snowflake" English is looking for you.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....came out of hyberination to comment on this.....more of the same with the Rhody assistant staff.....they build what they can in the wake of the Hurley Comet, take a moladay increase to pay bills, relocate, again families, to move on.....hire the more senoried Tom Moore to catch the Hurley wave onto bigger and better.....make it further next year??......if yes, the beat goes goes on with underpaid assistants.....liked Jim Carr....back to fluke.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......plus Tom Moore took down the Rhody team at home.....under JB of course.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If you're in South County today pick up a copy of the Narragansett Times for an interview with Tom Moore.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic article I love the fact that he is really good working with bigs
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Incredible timing to hire Moore with this very important recruiting class we need. The fact that he is great with bigs is fantastic. Exciting times!!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tomorrow it's official....Moore and Ty Boswell are assistants.....time for some verbals.
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Hearing Chris Martin will be leaving the program... no indication of where he's headed next.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Additionally we have added a guy that was previously the video coordinator at Harvard... didn't get his name or can't remember it from the convo.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Tomorrow it's official....Moore and Ty Boswell are assistants.....time for some verbals.
This is the second time you've said something like this. Is this something you're hearing is going to happen or is that something you hope should happen?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I took it as hope
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Tomorrow it's official....Moore and Ty Boswell are assistants.....time for some verbals.
This is the second time you've said something like this. Is this something you're hearing is going to happen or is that something you hope should happen?
I think it is a function of not really understanding how things work. There is not any reason why a kid would need to time a verbal commitment to align with the official announcement of an assistant coach's hiring. A verbal isn't an official thing, it is just an announcement of intent, and while assistant coaches are involved in recruiting kids it isn't like their involvement will start tomorrow nor would you expect it to result in a commitment on their first day if it did. It is the same kind of thing as when people were linking the Carr situation with not signing Juiston. I guess on some level I can see where people are making the connection in their heads, but even a cursory understanding of the processes involved make it obvious just how specious of a connection it is. A kid could announce for URI tomorrow. I'd be thrilled is one did. But if that happens, it would be a coincidence and would have literally nothing to do with URI's internal bookkeeping.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Dre3000 wrote:Hearing Chris Martin will be leaving the program... no indication of where he's headed next.
Is Coldplay going on tour?
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dre3000 wrote:Hearing Chris Martin will be leaving the program... no indication of where he's headed next.
Come home TJ. Come home.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Iggy1979 wrote:
Come home TJ. Come home.
There would need to be a job for him first.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is TJ not playing somewhere? It would be a shame if he isn't, I'd want all our guys to be playing at 25 rather than coaching for their own sakes. But if he isn't playing I'm sure there is a good reason for it, and we should find a role for him here. Few people gave more for this program.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Still no official announcement, I wonder if that's a function of the state budget not getting passed.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Live period starts Wednesday.....we should know something by then
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Is TJ not playing somewhere? It would be a shame if he isn't, I'd want all our guys to be playing at 25 rather than coaching for their own sakes. But if he isn't playing I'm sure there is a good reason for it, and we should find a role for him here. Few people gave more for this program.
Just to follow up on this... this article is from the A10 tournament. At the time, he seemed pretty settled home in Michigan.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... e-matthews

"Buchanan helped lead the Rams to the National Invitation Tournament as a senior in 2015, and he returned home after graduation to begin working in marketing. He also plays professionally in the American Basketball Association and coaches at his alma mater, Kalamazoo Central, which features Michigan signee Isaiah Livers. Buchanan’s son, Terry III, is healthy and flourishing after undergoing heart surgery as an infant in March 2015 and his longtime girlfriend, Cecilia Edmond, is on track to graduate from nursing school in May."
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Outstanding that things seem to be going well for him!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Thanks for tracking that down, Ace. I guess the ABA beats the YMCA that most of us semi-retired basketball players play at! To me I can't imagine anything better than being 25 and getting paid a real salary to play basketball in Paris or Madrid or Milan or Lisbon, but obviously everyone has their own life to live and it sounds like TJ is doing great on the path he chose. Couldn't be happier for him.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nothing really new in here, just another article about Moore before the hiring is actually official...

Jennifer Toland: Millbury native Tom Moore ‘excited’ for opportunity with Rhode Island men’s basketball team

http://www.telegram.com/sports/20170719 ... tball-team
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kevin McNamara: New URI assistant sees some Calhoun in Dan Hurley
http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... dan-hurley

This is a very Dan quote, and it made me laugh-

“It’s embarrassing to me for there to be a comparison to a Hall of Famer and an amazing competitor,” he said. “I’ve know Tom for years. He’s always going to say nice things about me.”
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dan has that chance here. I think the Alumn base has shown that they will support a winner. He just has to win and then we can give him no reason to leave.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article by Lil Kevie

I think we got a home run hire in asst coach Moore
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I presume Cox is associate coach and the others are assistants, right?
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jon's a little late with this one.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Jon's a little late with this one.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's perfect, and now I'm going to have to watch Dumb and Dumber again
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
I am not so sure I would call Rothstein to be so late.
There have been no official announcements made by URI to date.
Bill Koch, a week ago, tweeted the information out - first and only news I have heard other than on Keaney Blue
Rothstein is only the second tweet that I have seen related to Staff positions.
Some here rumored some Coaching announcements would be made on July 1 - still no announcements
I have been checking frequently the roster in GoRhody and there has been no Coaching Staff listed
Today there is a Coaching Staff listed but it does not match the rumors:
Coaching Staff August 17.png
Coaching Staff August 17.png (24.73 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
It does not matter to me. I have full faith in Dan Hurley to recruit and manage the Coaching Staff. I even did back in the "Baron 2.0 February 2017 days". But I think it is not so fitting to dis Rothstein when no official news has been out anyway.

The official announcements will come out in due time and all will be fine, I believe.
0 x