Coaching staff 17-18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Coaching staff 17-18

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Seems like this calls for its own thread.
To recap:

Reynolds-Dean is leaving for Clemson.
Carr seemingly had a falling out with Hurley and is gone.
Tom Moore has been on campus and seems poised to be hired.
Ty Boswell has been out recruiting and seems to have been promoted.
The new DBO will be someone we all know.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Coaching staff 17-18

Unread post by RF1 »

The coaching moves are a bit odd, especially coming off our best season since the late 90's. Really strange when you compare the exit of coaches to players leaving. While players transferring out is very common at most schools these days, URI has not had a single players leave in the last two seasons. Typically coaching staffs are fairly stable. Rhody's losses are the opposite of what most schools see.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Seems like this calls for its own thread.
To recap:

Reynolds-Dean is leaving for Clemson.
Carr seemingly had a falling out with Hurley and is gone.
Tom Moore has been on campus and seems poised to be hired.
Ty Boswell has been out recruiting and seems to have been promoted.
The new DBO will be someone we all know.
What about that Clemson piece that says we'll be losing another coach soon. Is that Carr? I hope it's not Cox. We know that there was no bump in the assistant coach's salary pool this time when Dan's contract was redone. Could this affect Cox? And if Carr was fired a couple of months ago, as some have said, why is he still here?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It does not look like it is Cox per Bill Koch in the Projo (see below). My guess is that it is Carr as that does not seem to have ever been made public. Koch also lists the salary of ARD at URI ($116,698) and indicates that he will minimally get 47K more at Clemson. The new Hurley contract did not include committing more money for assistant coaches. If URI does not want to see a rotating door of coaches and wants highly qualified and sought after assistants, it will have to pay more.

According to state website RI.gov, Reynolds Dean’s 2016-17 salary was $116,698 – he’s expected to approach at least 40 percent more than that per season with the Tigers. Dan Hurley’s latest contract extension through the 2023-24 season included no increase to the basketball staff salary pool, which remains at $400,000. Associate head coach David Cox remains the team’s lead assistant.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... or-clemson
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:It does not look like it is Cox per Bill Koch in the Projo (see below). My guess is that it is Carr as that does not seem to have ever been made public. Koch also lists the salary of ARD at URI ($116,698) and indicates that he will minimally get 47K more at Clemson. The new Hurley contract did not include committing more money for assistant coaches. If URI does not want to see a rotating door of coaches and wants highly qualified and sought after assistants, it will have to pay more.

According to state website RI.gov, Reynolds Dean’s 2016-17 salary was $116,698 – he’s expected to approach at least 40 percent more than that per season with the Tigers. Dan Hurley’s latest contract extension through the 2023-24 season included no increase to the basketball staff salary pool, which remains at $400,000. Associate head coach David Cox remains the team’s lead assistant.

Exactly. We've already lost Bobby Hurley, Preston Murphy, Luke Murray and now ARD to higher paying jobs in a fairly short period of time. A little more continuity and stability would be a plus.
1 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Since the state's fiscal year ends on June 30th, I suspect that Carr will likely be a part of the coaching staff until then. On July 1, I assume that Boswell will be officially promoted to replace Carr and that Moore will be officially hired to replace ARD.

I don't think the staff changes are anything out of the norm. ARD, coming off of a successful season, was hired away by a P5 school with a large pay raise and, based off of the rumors, Carr tried to parlay the team's success into a raise, which based on the circumstances, caused DH to go in a different direction with his staff. Doesn't look like anything to be overly concerned about.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Coaching staffs are anything but stable. Assistants move around all the time.
Just because the assistants salary pool did not increase does not mean that Cox is not getting a raise.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
RF1 wrote:It does not look like it is Cox per Bill Koch in the Projo (see below). My guess is that it is Carr as that does not seem to have ever been made public. Koch also lists the salary of ARD at URI ($116,698) and indicates that he will minimally get 47K more at Clemson. The new Hurley contract did not include committing more money for assistant coaches. If URI does not want to see a rotating door of coaches and wants highly qualified and sought after assistants, it will have to pay more.

Exactly. We've already lost Bobby Hurley, Preston Murphy, Luke Murray and now ARD to higher paying jobs in a fairly short period of time. A little more continuity and stability would be a plus.
In fairness, we lost Bobby to a head coaching position, I don't think salary had much to do with that. And we can't compete dollar for dollar with the ACC, Big East, and the ACC again, which is where all those coaches went. If we were losing those guys to schools to schools on our fiscal level or lower than we could say there was an issue here.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A little background on Tom Moore, assuming he's going to be part of our program going forward:

A 52 year old graduate of Boston University. UConn assistant from 94-07, so the program had already been to four recent tournaments before he came on board, advancing as far as the Elite Eight once, but he was certainly part of making UConn what we think of it today. It seems like he was heavily involved with recruiting and big men while there. Their was a school of thought that he was a possible heir apparent to Calhoun when he left, but he was involved in a recruiting scandal at the time, so wasn't safe enough to hire even though he was eventually cleared. Since leaving UConn he was head coach at Quinnipiac. When he was let go in March a lot of UConn fans seemed to want to bring him back, which is a good sign. You can read a thread on him here:

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/tom-moore.108089/
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:The coaching moves are a bit odd, especially coming off our best season since the late 90's. Really strange when you compare the exit of coaches to players leaving. While players transferring out is very common at most schools these days, URI has not had a single players leave in the last two seasons. Typically coaching staffs are fairly stable. Rhody's losses are the opposite of what most schools see.
I think both things- players staying and coaches getting good opportunities- are signs of a strong program. The players want to be a part of it, even when they're sacrificing individual numbers. Other programs, with more resources, recognize that something good is happening at Rhode Island and see value in their people.

If coaches were leaving for, say, the MAAC or the NEC, that might be a problem, Budgets are what they are, which is why they can't be discounted, and even assistant jobs at higher conferences are coveted. Most guys don't go the path Dan did- going from being an assistant in the old Big East to coaching high school, while turning down other assistant jobs. Look at the new coach at Butler- only one year, with a poor record, as a head coach but lots of good experience as an assistant at Butler when they were in the Horizon League and then Iowa and Michigan. Whether it's the head coach or assistants, it's good to be wanted, even if it's frustrating to fans.
4 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Does anyone think it's possible we bring in Bob Sr?? What an opportunity to bring him in. I'm talking about a role as a bench coach/3rd assistant. I would highly support it and we wouldn't have to worry about him leaving...lol. Also Dan has proven himself now at the collegiate level....A10 title/ 1 minute away from sweet sixteen. So it doesn't look bad bringing his dad on board. It's not like I can't get this team over the hump so I need to bring my dad in. I just think about the opportunity to bring in a HOF coach who can be a great asset to our program.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tom98 wrote:Does anyone think it's possible we bring in Bob Sr?? What an opportunity to bring him in. I'm talking about a role as a bench coach/3rd assistant. I would highly support it and we wouldn't have to worry about him leaving...lol. Also Dan has proven himself now at the collegiate level....A10 title/ 1 minute away from sweet sixteen. So it doesn't look bad bringing his dad on board. It's not like I can't get this team over the hump so I need to bring my dad in. I just think about the opportunity to bring in a HOF coach who can be a great asset to our program.
No thank you.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The only continuity and stable coaching situation that I care about is Hurley. The rest will work itself out.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tom98 wrote:Does anyone think it's possible we bring in Bob Sr?? What an opportunity to bring him in. I'm talking about a role as a bench coach/3rd assistant. I would highly support it and we wouldn't have to worry about him leaving...lol. Also Dan has proven himself now at the collegiate level....A10 title/ 1 minute away from sweet sixteen. So it doesn't look bad bringing his dad on board. It's not like I can't get this team over the hump so I need to bring my dad in. I just think about the opportunity to bring in a HOF coach who can be a great asset to our program.
Not gonna happen.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BFC wrote:
A lot of people have been looking for that New England connection in recruiting. Hate to see ARD go, but I think this is going to be a very good hire.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

URI leaking the Moore news to counter the ARD news.
2 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If Tom Moore can replicate what he did at UConn,
he could be a great addition.
However, I thought Ty Boswell was supposed to be the
New England guy in recruiting?
ARD was a link to the talent laden Atlanta and Florida areas.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Much of Moore's recruiting at UConn was outside of New England and most of the players at QPac are from outside the region, too.
2 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Will Eric Youncofski or Chris Martin be the new DBO?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If everyone on the new staff can get along might not Boswell and Moore be a perfect mix especially on the recruiting front?

Hurley took a big leap forward on game management and play design and calling last season IMHO. Appears he wants to focus his time on perfecting his craft vs pounding the pavement?

This could work out nice....
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does anyone know which players Moore recruited to UConn?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I can't imagine Dan wanting that kind of proximity.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Does anyone know which players Moore recruited to UConn?
Rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Okafor.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Does anyone know which players Moore recruited to UConn?
Rip Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Okafor.
so no one THAT special (kidding)
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Quinnipiac was still in the NEC when Dan was at Wagner, so he and Moore coached against each other for two years. Not that it matters all that much, but Wagner was 3-0 in their match-ups. A lot of basketball people thought Moore's firing in March was bs. Glad to have him aboard. It's a different kind of hire than the others, definitely the most experienced coach he's brought on. Other programs may show an interest in URI's coaches, but the vacancies left are of interest to a pretty strong field of candidates as well.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RamZone72 wrote:Will Eric Youncofski or Chris Martin be the new DBO?
No
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Tyson Wheeler?
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

RamZone72 wrote:Will Eric Youncofski or Chris Martin be the new DBO?
Yes, the former...
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dre, figured I'd let you say it.......
1 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

If Eric is going to be the new DBO, I wonder if Chris Martin sticks around. This will be the second time he has been passed up on the DBO position. A similar situation was Kevin Tirone who was passed up a couple times on a bump up to Assistant Coach. After he was passed over twice, Kevin left and went into business at Zero Gravity.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rumor had it that it was Thorr, who dropped the hammer
on Carr.
Seems the AD would be the one handling salaries and raises>
Since Dan is said to be very close to Carr, I doubt
he was the one who said,"leave!'
Then again, who knows?
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So rumors are saying Carr asked Thor for a significantly raise and Thor said he couldn't make it happen so Carr decided to leave? Is that what I'm piecing together here?
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Nothing to do with money. It was agreed upon prior to the team going on its run that Dan needed to replace Carr with an experienced veteran coach that could assist with game planning and in game management. Give credit to Thorr who despite the end of season success, stuck to his guns. Tom Moore is a great addition and should provide what the staff was missing. Don't expect him at this point in his career to be spending a lot of time at AAU games. As for the Director of Basketball Operations, people should calm down. The position is 100% administrative. It has nothing to do with coaching, recruiting or game planning. It is usually given to a former player, manager, or grad assistant. It pays very little in most programs and is primarily a stepping stone position.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This article talks a little bit about how this happened and has some quotes from Moore-

Moore Set To Join Hurley, Rhode Island Men's Basketball
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/h ... story.html

"The more I'm around Danny, there is a lot of Coach Calhoun in him," Moore said. "He's got that singularity of purpose, that 365-day-a-year grind to him. He's protective of his kids and all about culture and the team. He is not going to let anything get in his way of making sure they're good."
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow fantastic news on Tom Moore this is a big upgrade

Sad to see ARD leave but can't blame him
1 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Nothing to do with money. It was agreed upon prior to the team going on its run that Dan needed to replace Carr with an experienced veteran coach that could assist with game planning and in game management. Give credit to Thorr who despite the end of season success, stuck to his guns.
This is completely false. So Thorr would make a coach that just had more success than any coach in the last 18 years make changes to his staff? To a guy that prides himself on loyalty (Hurley) that'd surely run him out of town. Rod is correct in what happened here with Carr, albeit the PG version. Dan's hands were tied on this based on how Carr tried to get more money. I'll firmly stand by that based on who I spoke with on the matter.
Last edited by Dre3000 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Tom Moore is a great addition and should provide what the staff was missing. Don't expect him at this point in his career to be spending a lot of time at AAU games.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. At this point in his career? He's 52, hardly seems to be too old to be recruiting especially when he seems to be better at that part of the job than the X's and o's which you claim he was brought on for.
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Does anybody know where Carr is going next?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Washington Generals?
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

" I see a lot of (Calhoun) in Danny and that gets me excited because I saw how that can be good when you have a guy leading the program that has that personality."
http://www.theday.com/local-sports/2017 ... ant-at-uri
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Congratulations. You can tell URI is improving when the UConn boards starts attacking you. Someone mentioned that this was a good hire, and that Providence and now URI appear to be moving ahead of UConn in the New England hierarchy. Immediately, they start criticizing them as having no long-term success, lousy school, Hurley leaving, etc.

It's a sure sign that they are worried that the hub of New England basketball is moving back toward Rhode Island.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the term of art with respect to Coach Carr is that they called his bluff.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Washington Generals?
LOL
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I like these hires, especially going into a big recruiting year.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The trolls on the A-10 Cesspool Board are not surprisingly criticizing the Moore hire and spewing more venom at Hurley and URI. They are bringing up his connection to UConn recruiting violations that he was cleared of over seven years ago.
2 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Tom Moore is a good hire.........
....A head coach in D1 for ten years. Can assume many roles.
....QU's APR was slightly better than ours. QU has academic standards equal to ours.
....brought in "high character" players". Only one issue about eight years ago. Dealt with!

Seems to have a similar game plan as Hurley's.....Good defense, good rebounding, keeps it simple on offense. He has had a handful of 6-7, 6-9
Hassan's. All great rebounders and defenders. Suffered from guard play [low shooting percentage] over the years,

....written by a QU alumni and former eighth man a long time ago.

ARD - an offer too good to refuse. A raise probably in the 50k range, and two hours from home. Al is just down the road in Atlanta, and maybe ARD's stepping stone to a HC job at Kennesaw.

Carr - I always felt Carr was like a JB's Clarke.
Speaking of which, he is back as a HC at a prep school in western NY.
Last edited by CTRamfan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:Does anybody know where Carr is going next?
He just retweeted a Columbia University basketball tweet, so maybe he's heading to the Ivy League
0 x