2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Home
Alabama
Providence
Western Kentucky

Away
Sunday 12/1 West Virginia
Brown
Middle Tennessee State
Maryland

Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic 11/22-24 with LSU, Utah State and North Texas

Atlantic 10 tournament Barclays Center Brooklyn, NY

Friday 11/22 Jamaica Classic
Saturday 11/23 Jamaica Classic
Sunday 11/24 Jamaica Classic
Sunday 12/1 @ West Virginia
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 4 years ago, edited 11 times in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So we really need a thread for 3 seasons from now?
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Seeing as we have a game that's not normally scheduled it seemed like a decent idea. If only the asshole that started this thread had titled it more clearly so people not interested in it could have avoided it...
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Have a little OCD with this site, need all the threads to be blue and not red, so have to open all of them. :lol: :lol:
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

No new information in this tweet as ATP noted, but updating this thread

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote:So we really need a thread for 3 seasons from now?
On this point, short answer is yes. College football boards have threads tracking the schedule literally a decade out. Notre Dame just scheduled a home and home with Alabama for when my toddler will be in college, and people celebrated it like we celebrated Jermaine Harris’s commitment.

If the information is out there and it is going to eventually be of interest to us, what would be the point of NOT tracking it?
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Any other news on the 2019-20 schedule? This looks to have the makings of a very strong slate especially if they could get one more strong team to the Ryan center mixed with some solid RPI teams and a tournament that uncludes some ranked teams. They already have 4 road games so they are probably looking to fill out home and neutral unless a good opportunity arises
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Has it been confirmed anywhere that URI returns a game to Middle Tennessee in 2019-20? What is the contract arrangement with Harvard concerning this seasons's home game?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Has it been confirmed anywhere that URI returns a game to Middle Tennessee in 2019-20? What is the contract arrangement with Harvard concerning this seasons's home game?
Harvard will be a return game in 2020-21 as URI had it pushed back with several non conference road games already. I believe the Middle Tennessee was a home and home, but haven’t found confirmation on it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If your 2019-20 schedule is correct, it will be the highest number (4) of true road games in several years. Adding in possible neutral site tournament games that could number from 2-4, and that would mean URI would be playing from 6-8 games away from the Ryan Center that year. This would be following this upcoming season where URI is breaking from the strategy (just 4-5 games away from the RC) of the last several years as it is scheduled to play 7 games outside Kingston (3 Away / 4 Neutral). Given that it is far tougher to win away from home, this adds more risk and should not be a desired trend. It is the exact opposite of what P5 teams, which make up the great majority of the NCAA Tournament field, are doing. When AD Thorr Bjorn was put on the spot several months ago about spending URI basketball's new revenues (NCAA earnings/attendance/sponsorships) and head coaching salary savings (Cox makes several 100k less than Hurley), he indicated that he would meet with David Cox to discuss what he felt it should be used for (salary/buy games/more charters). We know from public statements that no significant additional monies were immediately allocated to the assistant coach salary pool. The schedule for this season and next would suggest that more buy games are not in the cards in the immediate future. Are additional charter flights being scheduled? Where is all the additional revenue/savings being spent? So far, there is no sign of where that might be.

OOC Schedule Last Five Years
2014-15 | Home: 6 | Away: 2 | Neutral: 3
2015-16 | Home: 8 | Away: 3 | Neutral: 2
2016-17 | Home: 7 | Away: 3 | Neutral: 2
2017-18 | Home: 7 | Away: 2 | Neutral: 2
2018-19 | Home: 5 | Away: 3 | Neutral: 4
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t necessarily think buying many more games is the answer. Padding your win total playing tune-up games against low major teams may work for P5 teams that will do most of their SOS work in conference, but URI needs to make up ground in OOC. The primary factor there is who you play, but you also get more credit for winning at neutral venues and on the road. If you have to leave home to get the kind of teams you want/need to play on the schedule, I’d prefer they do that than pay Central Connecticut or UMass-Lowell or UNH to come play at the Ryan.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I get that buy games are not going to be against great competition for the most part. They however give you a high probability of wins. Playing road games can add quite a bit more risk. It is especially dangerous when you play true road games against non P5 schools such as URI will be doing with games at Charleston, Holy Cross, Middle Tenn, Florida Gulf Coast, Brown, and Harvard these next two seasons. It would not be a shock to lose some of these games. A loss to any of these teams, all of which are not likely to have high computer ratings due to their conference slate, can really hurt.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If URI loses to Holy Cross or Brown, they are going to have bigger issues than that road loss related to getting in the Tournament. Brown and Holy Cross should be 2 for 1. I don’t pay attention to future scheduling but I thought I read some return games will be pushed out. As the P5s crawl into their bunkers by playing 20 conference games it is going to force teams like Rhody to play tougher OOC road games. They are building the roster to do that. Look how the roster is shaping up for 2019-20. Maybe Coach Cox will take the approach Calapari did at UMASS - we will play any team, anywhere! You can build Gonzaga of the East that way.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If URI loses to Holy Cross or Brown, they are going to have bigger issues than that road loss related to getting in the Tournament. Brown and Holy Cross should be 2 for 1. I don’t pay attention to future scheduling but I thought I read some return games will be pushed out. As the P5s crawl into their bunkers by playing 20 conference games it is going to force teams like Rhody to play tougher OOC road games. They are building the roster to do that. Look how the roster is shaping up for 2019-20. Maybe Coach Cox will take the approach Calapari did at UMASS - we will play any team, anywhere! You can build Gonzaga of the East that way.
I have no problem with playing those 4 road games along with their current start at home PC/Alabama and 2-3 games in a tournament. It will help to get road wins and have a good non conference schedule rather than wins at home over 250+ RPI. The team that they potentially will have for next year is built for a strong schedule.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago If URI loses to Holy Cross or Brown, they are going to have bigger issues than that road loss related to getting in the Tournament. Brown and Holy Cross should be 2 for 1. I don’t pay attention to future scheduling but I thought I read some return games will be pushed out. As the P5s crawl into their bunkers by playing 20 conference games it is going to force teams like Rhody to play tougher OOC road games. They are building the roster to do that. Look how the roster is shaping up for 2019-20. Maybe Coach Cox will take the approach Calapari did at UMASS - we will play any team, anywhere! You can build Gonzaga of the East that way.
I have no problem with playing those 4 road games along with their current start at home PC/Alabama and 2-3 games in a tournament. It will help to get road wins and have a good non conference schedule rather than wins at home over 250+ RPI. The team that they potentially will have for next year is built for a strong schedule.

You are assuming URI wins at Charleston, Middle Tenn, and Harvard. These teams cannot be taken for granted. I would not be surprised if URI was to lose two of these games. Home teams win nearly 70% of their games. That is why P5 teams rarely play OOC road games.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

You are assuming URI wins at Charleston, Middle Tenn, and Harvard. These teams cannot be take for granted. I would not be surprised if URI was to lose two of these games. Home teams win nearly 70% of their games. That is why P5 teams rarely play OOC road games.
If they lose one of those games it won’t be the end of the world as those teams look as if they will be at the top of their conference. You see how it is viewed when you play a bad non conference schedule. No one gets excited over wins over Maine or UNH at home. If they lose several of those games they probably aren’t that good and need to win the automatic bid anyway. Two of the four projected away games are Brown and Holy Cross. Even if they lost to a Middle Tennessee State or Charleston they could offset it with a win over Alabama or PC and a good win in a tournament.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Has it been confirmed anywhere that URI returns a game to Middle Tennessee in 2019-20? What is the contract arrangement with Harvard concerning this seasons's home game?
It was not published anywhere, but the home date this year matches up with us looking for a home and home for that day on the basketball travelers message board
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

You are assuming URI wins at Charleston, Middle Tenn, and Harvard. These teams cannot be taken for granted. I would not be surprised if URI was to lose two of these games. Home teams win nearly 70% of their games. That is why P5 teams rarely play OOC road games.
How many tourneys did we make with the Baron Cupcake schedule?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago

How many tourneys did we make with the Baron Cupcake schedule?

We played few away/neutral site OOC games in the two years we went to the NCAA Tournament under Hurley.

2016-17 | Home: 7 | Away: 3 | Neutral: 2
2017-18 | Home: 7 | Away: 2 | Neutral: 2

We are scheduled for 7 this season and what appears to be in a range of 6-8 in 2019-2020.

True road games are dangerous and fraught with risk, even more so when they are at non P-5's.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

This is an interesting article about Loyola's scheduling this year. As I noted previously and as you'll read the article, URI is not the only "victim" of having a return game be bought out. URI has done a nice job of scheduling this year and in the past. But the scheduling inequities are a problem of all of college basketball...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -ramblers/
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 years ago This is an interesting article about Loyola's scheduling this year. As I noted previously and as you'll read the article, URI is not the only "victim" of having a return game be bought out. URI has done a nice job of scheduling this year and in the past. But the scheduling inequities are a problem of all of college basketball...

Not for anything, but I don't see Porter Moser's point.
Loyola went 34 years between tournament appearances.
His 3rd, 4th, and 6th scorers from last season graduated, almost 40% of their scoring.
After this season, his 1st and 2nd scorers from last year graduate, another 33% of their scoring.
That is 73% of their scoring gone from the final four team.
Their continued to success will be based on development and recruiting, not existing roster players (outside of Krutwig as long as he stays).
Moser wants home-and-home's, but how confident can programs feel that Loyola is going to "reload" in 2019-2020 given their lack of history doing so?
Frankly, it's very possible that after this season, Loyola returns to being a 150+ program.
And at that point, it's the waste of a home-and-home commitment.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 years ago This is an interesting article about Loyola's scheduling this year. As I noted previously and as you'll read the article, URI is not the only "victim" of having a return game be bought out. URI has done a nice job of scheduling this year and in the past. But the scheduling inequities are a problem of all of college basketball...

Not for anything, but I don't see Porter Moser's point.
Loyola went 34 years between tournament appearances.
His 3rd, 4th, and 6th scorers from last season graduated, almost 40% of their scoring.
After this season, his 1st and 2nd scorers from last year graduate, another 33% of their scoring.
That is 73% of their scoring gone from the final four team.
Their continued to success will be based on development and recruiting, not existing roster players (outside of Krutwig as long as he stays).
Moser wants home-and-home's, but how confident can programs feel that Loyola is going to "reload" in 2019-2020 given their lack of history doing so?
Frankly, it's very possible that after this season, Loyola returns to being a 150+ program.
And at that point, it's the waste of a home-and-home commitment.
On the Eye on College Basketball podcast, Matt (the author of the article) and Gary discuss this article and Gary brought up a good point. He said he told the A10 coaches when he spoke down at the annual coaches meetings that they shouldn't consider themselves above signing 2-for-1s and truly adopting "play anyone anywhere." His point being that Moser is being picky based on 1 run in the tournament and he shouldn't be annoyed that he can't get top P5 teams to come to Chicago - they should be willing to meet them anywhere and prove they're better. It was a great discussion to listen to.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I don’t have a problem with doing 2 for 1’s. I am even alright with the Mohegan game in a 1/1 scenario. We can set it up to assure that we always have a power 5 team coming into the Ryan center every year. We would obviously prefer the Alabama type home/home, but would rather play a good schedule even it means going on the road than playing lower end D-1 teams at home.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

30 games......No more than 15 at home.....for everybody....go play teams other than on your home court.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago 30 games......No more than 15 at home.....for everybody....go play teams other than on your home court.....
Teams pretty much do for the most part --
Duke plays 17 home and 14 road/neutral.
Kentucky plays 18 home and 13 road/neutral.
Kansas plays 16 home and 15 road/neutral.
Frankly, you think this helps, but the top programs and the P5 programs will just flip and flop with eachother.
It will never be fair for teams without a consistent track record of success or being located in a fertile recruiting area.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I don't mind a 2 for 1 with a P5 but I would like it to be a perennial Top 25 team with a great tradition
Otherwise keep scheduling other top mid majors
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I find power programs do what they want anyway in scheduling....so they play other power programs.....don't let big teams like Syracuse play all their non-conference games at home....

We know conference games are split evenly between home and road....so that leaves 16-20 games that are split....it is that other 10-14 games where teams tend to hide at home.....Syracuse comes to mind.....go on the road even if it is to other power schools in other conferences......10-0 non-con versus 6-4 or 5-5 non-con...maybe they go to a mid-major instead of risking a loss in non-con
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I find power programs do what they want anyway in scheduling....so they play other power programs.....don't let big teams like Syracuse play all their non-conference games at home....

We know conference games are split evenly between home and road....so that leaves 16-20 games that are split....it is that other 10-14 games where teams tend to hide at home.....Syracuse comes to mind.....go on the road even if it is to other power schools in other conferences......10-0 non-con versus 6-4 or 5-5 non-con...maybe they go to a mid-major instead of risking a loss in non-con
But the counter-argument to that is simple:
Of course a majority of the conferences in the country would like Syracuse to go on the road and play more OOC games.
But last year, Syracuse played regular season road/neutral games against the 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 27th, 37th, and 38th teams in the country (not factoring in conference tournaments).
We say most non P5+BE teams are forced to aggressively schedule P5 opponents at their place, yet 99.9% of them don't have anywhere near as many quality road games.
URI last year was pretty much at the top of that category last year, but their 6 best road/neutral games were 2nd, 25th, 26th, 43rd, 57th, and 68th.
And it's pretty much the same thing every year.
Syracuse is going to play plenty of quality opponents on the road during the season, but the people who argue otherwise only do so because their conference cannot consistently boost a significant slate of strong opponents.
You have to schedule smartly, and it's smart to not schedule a gauntlet of OOC road games every year when you have a few on the schedule and plenty of quality conference games accomplishing the same thing.
If every year the A10 had 4-6 teams looking at NCAA bids and 2-4 looking at NIT bids, fans would not be complaining about scheduling of other power conference programs.
But they care now because the conference for the last handful of years has been a 2-3 bid NCAA conference, a 1-3 bid NIT conference, and had 7-11 teams that qualify as "bad" losses.
And when you play in an unbalanced conference and have months at a time of potential landmines and hear that "oh they are only winning so many games because they are playing bad opponents," of course they will want to create ways to play more high-profile opponents.
But it falls on the conference to produce that, not a system change.
*And trust me, I have every reason to complain with you about OOC scheduling and wanting to play teams at home -- Texas in 2019 will be the first "major" opponent to come to the DDC since 2005 that wasn't forced here (Last year PC hosted #14 Minnesota through the Gavitt Games).
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The power conference teams will strongly fight any equitability as far as scheduling goes. They know that home teams win some 70% of games and they do not want the risk associated with playing many road games. They get enough quality games in conference and could care less about what would be best for the game. They will do all they can to continue to strengthen their position. The P5 continue to ruin the college game. For the life of me, I do not understand why non P5 schools, the great majority of D1, do not take them on and force change. The current system is broke and unfair and non P5 schools are getting screwed over more and more.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years agoIf every year the A10 had 4-6 teams looking at NCAA bids and 2-4 looking at NIT bids, fans would not be complaining about scheduling of other power conference programs.
But they care now because the conference for the last handful of years has been a 2-3 bid NCAA conference, a 1-3 bid NIT conference, and had 7-11 teams that qualify as "bad" losses.
RJ just want you to clarify here on the 2-3 bids. A10 hasn't been less than a 3 bid conference since the 06-07 season. Are you saying going in the season, for scheduling purposes, the "experts" were only predicting 2-3 bids, even when A10 found a way to have 3 bids?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:They know that home teams win some 70% of games and they do not want the risk associated with playing many road games.

You answer this in your next statement. They get enough quality games in conference. So they play in a tournament, maybe play 1 or 2 elite teams in strong recruiting territories on a neutral court, and they'll play a ton of strong opponents in conference. They will also play a ton of strong opponents on the road in conference. So while some schools might have to play less than ideal road games OOC, they'll also go through the march of the cupcakes during conference play.
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago They get enough quality games in conference and could care less about what would be best for the game.
But why should a team in a conference competing to put 10 of their 16 teams in the tournament plus another few in the NIT care about doing what might be helpful to a lesser conference? It is certainly not Duke's fault that their conference has many strong programs. It's not Duke's fault that the players they recruit want to play in that strong conference and play perennially strong opponents. Should they play lesser teams because its "good for the game" or should they try to do what's best for their program?
RF1 wrote: For the life of me, I do not understand why non P5 schools, the great majority of D1, do not take them on and force change. The current system is broke and unfair and non P5 schools are getting screwed over more and more.
Because the non P5 schools need the P5 schools. People care about Loyola-Chicago because they are beating legitimate basketball programs. You can blame conference realignment, but that is a product of money, which is a product of technology, which is only sustainable with ratings, which come from games between passionate fan bases and rivalries in high stakes situations. And the more games a network has with teams that people care about, the more people who watch, the more money the network makes, and the more money the school makes. Why else go to 20 conference games? Because an extra game between Duke-Virginia is better for the schools, it's better for the fans, it's better for the conference, and it's better for the ratings. And this leads to the last point ...
RF1 wrote:The current system is broke and unfair and non P5 schools are getting screwed over more and more.
It's not broken, you just need to make yourself marketable. Teams have one or two or three or four good seasons, and they think they can make up for decades of living in the abyss disappear. The more regular season success, the more postseason success, the more interest teams have in making a series. Further, it has to make sense. If Duke wants to play a certain category of games against a potential NCAA opponent, are they better off trying to play Kentucky or URI? Are they better off trying to play Kansas or PC? But in addition, your conference needs to lift you up, not drag you down, and it's no one's fault but the conference. It's not Duke's fault. It's not Kentucky's fault. It's not Syracuse's fault.

Lastly, the NCAA has come out and said they view the season as one big slate. Game 1 matters as much as Game 31. With that said, at the end of the day, Syracuse is going to put up their list of opponents. There are going to be a lot of strong opponents on there, regardless of when they play them. Whose fault is it that they play 5-7 Top 50 road games between January and February? Is it Syracuse? The ACC? ESPN's? Answer: It's no ones. Teams should not get punished for playing difficult conference schedules. The teams in bad conferences want the best of both worlds -- they want the ability to finally get elite teams on their court, while continuing to march through cupcake alley during conference play.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years agoIf every year the A10 had 4-6 teams looking at NCAA bids and 2-4 looking at NIT bids, fans would not be complaining about scheduling of other power conference programs.
RJ just want you to clarify here on the 2-3 bids. A10 hasn't been less than a 3 bid conference since the 06-07 season. Are you saying going in the season, for scheduling purposes, the "experts" were only predicting 2-3 bids, even when A10 found a way to have 3 bids?
Both:

Last season, A10 got 3 bids, but Davidson had to win the A10 Tournament to get in and St. Bonaventure had to win 13 games in a row.
Many teams that schedule, they are all doing scheduling analysis and trying to assess the quality of opponent.
If they are looking at Davidson let's say, it's very easy to say "Team got hot at the right time, but what can we forecast going forward?"
Teams don't want to schedule uncertainties.
Nevada could get a bunch of one-off games because they return a great roster with multiple talents, who all leave after this season.
There is a reason they only got one solid home-and-home and a bunch of one-off neutrals.

And further, that impacts the conference.
Take URI last season -- At one point the A10 looked like a 1 bid conference.
St. Bonaventure was supposed to stand tall with them, but on January 19th, they had 2 good wins, 3 bad losses, and a 2-4 conference record.
So yes, they make their run, they become a solid bubble team, but they can never shake the stigma of "got hot against bad opponents."
It took winning 13 games in a row to lock them into the tournament.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In business there are laws to prevent a large company from getting together (colluding) with the other large companies in an industry to close out the mid-tier companies. I understand what rj is saying but the P5 plans to go to a 20 game league schedule fir the sole purpose to reducing the number of chances for a quality win by midtier teams. If the P5 had their choice the 64 NCAA teams would be from 5 conferences. Their goal now is to tighten their stronghold on the at large bids.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would satisfy me if each conference were capped on bids. It can be dynamic, so that the formula that decides is updated annually or semi-annually based on conferences’ relative performance, but the number of bids for each conference being set prior to the season would fix the problem and make the season more interesting. As I’ve said before, I’m not sympathetic to the argument that if the 11th best team in one conference is one of the best 30 teams it’s not fair to leave them out; if the best you can do is 11th in your own conference, you don’t have a leg to stand on. You had plenty of chances, whereas the second or third best team in a mid-tier conference likely didn’t.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago But the P5 plans to go to a 20 game league schedule fir the sole purpose to reducing the number of chances for a quality win by midtier teams.
Sole purpose? No way. The reality is if you are a fan of Duke, are you more excited by a potential 2nd match-up against Louisville, Virginia, or Syracuse, or are you more excited by playing another generically named Top 25 team that they have no significant history with? Of course you want the Top 25 opponent with history and potentially rivalry over just another team when you can play any team in the country you want.

If you want to run with a conspiracy though, I would consider ESPN's role in this. I'm sure they were also very much involved in trying to make this happen because it's good for them to be airing more potential Top 25 games between teams with huge fanbases and potential rivalries. Ratings = Money. Ultimately that money is passed on to the universities. That's no one's fault though, although I would argue that networks should not have a voice in these major decisions.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s not a level playing field, the rich get richer. Mid majors have to schedule creatively and smart, bottom line. The A10 as a conference needs a scheduling strategy:

Top teams (in a good year let’s say that’s 3-4), go out and play a very tough OOC. Road/neutral against bona fide Top 50 programs. All try to get 1 “potential” top 50-75 on your home court.

Mid tier teams play compatibles- try to get wins against other mid major schools, preferably the top end of those leagues. A few select Top 50-75, but not the gauntlet so you come into the league sub 500

Bottom tier go play georgetowns schedule from last year. Rack up wins even against sub 200 teams. It would be helluva lot better to come in at 9-3 after beating up cupcakes than 3-9 after traveling all over and getting destroyed.

The league has to adapt this or a similar strategy to stay vital and play the numbers. Inflating all RPIs through smart holistic scheduling is only way for David to fight the Goliath that is P5.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I knew the sole purpose would get a reaction out of rj :). You might be a little over the top on the rivalry part with some teams. How long has that Duke vs Louisville rivalry been going in the ACC - 5 years. Playing Pitt a second time last year must have been awesome. I don’t know how those Big Ten teams can get by without a second game against Rutgers. There are some crappy teams at the bottom of these huge conferences. There are also teams that were added 5 years ago that don’t have long standing rivalries.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Playing Pitt a second time last year must have been awesome. I don’t know how those Big Ten teams can get by without a second game against Rutgers. There are some crappy teams at the bottom of these huge conferences. There are also teams that were added 5 years ago that don’t have long standing rivalries.
The real question is, if a team played 18 conference games instead of 20, how are they filling the remaining 2 OOC games?
So teams go from having a 29% chance of playing PIttsburgh twice to a 43% chance of having to play them twice.
What is the average RPI of those two additional games?
If you were a team already playing Pittsburgh twice, you are almost guaranteed two additional games against Top 50 opponents, 1 home and 1 away.
If you weren't, you might have to play Pittsburgh twice, but even then the average RPI of playing Pittsburgh and an additional Top 50 team is about average to what they would play anyway in those two games.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote:They know that home teams win some 70% of games and they do not want the risk associated with playing many road games.

You answer this in your next statement. They get enough quality games in conference. So they play in a tournament, maybe play 1 or 2 elite teams in strong recruiting territories on a neutral court, and they'll play a ton of strong opponents in conference. They will also play a ton of strong opponents on the road in conference. So while some schools might have to play less than ideal road games OOC, they'll also go through the march of the cupcakes during conference play.
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago They get enough quality games in conference and could care less about what would be best for the game.
But why should a team in a conference competing to put 10 of their 16 teams in the tournament plus another few in the NIT care about doing what might be helpful to a lesser conference? It is certainly not Duke's fault that their conference has many strong programs. It's not Duke's fault that the players they recruit want to play in that strong conference and play perennially strong opponents. Should they play lesser teams because its "good for the game" or should they try to do what's best for their program?
RF1 wrote: For the life of me, I do not understand why non P5 schools, the great majority of D1, do not take them on and force change. The current system is broke and unfair and non P5 schools are getting screwed over more and more.
Because the non P5 schools need the P5 schools. People care about Loyola-Chicago because they are beating legitimate basketball programs. You can blame conference realignment, but that is a product of money, which is a product of technology, which is only sustainable with ratings, which come from games between passionate fan bases and rivalries in high stakes situations. And the more games a network has with teams that people care about, the more people who watch, the more money the network makes, and the more money the school makes. Why else go to 20 conference games? Because an extra game between Duke-Virginia is better for the schools, it's better for the fans, it's better for the conference, and it's better for the ratings. And this leads to the last point ...
RF1 wrote:The current system is broke and unfair and non P5 schools are getting screwed over more and more.
It's not broken, you just need to make yourself marketable. Teams have one or two or three or four good seasons, and they think they can make up for decades of living in the abyss disappear. The more regular season success, the more postseason success, the more interest teams have in making a series. Further, it has to make sense. If Duke wants to play a certain category of games against a potential NCAA opponent, are they better off trying to play Kentucky or URI? Are they better off trying to play Kansas or PC? But in addition, your conference needs to lift you up, not drag you down, and it's no one's fault but the conference. It's not Duke's fault. It's not Kentucky's fault. It's not Syracuse's fault.

Lastly, the NCAA has come out and said they view the season as one big slate. Game 1 matters as much as Game 31. With that said, at the end of the day, Syracuse is going to put up their list of opponents. There are going to be a lot of strong opponents on there, regardless of when they play them. Whose fault is it that they play 5-7 Top 50 road games between January and February? Is it Syracuse? The ACC? ESPN's? Answer: It's no ones. Teams should not get punished for playing difficult conference schedules. The teams in bad conferences want the best of both worlds -- they want the ability to finally get elite teams on their court, while continuing to march through cupcake alley during conference play.
"Teams should not get punished for playing difficult conference schedules" - true - but it shouldn't give them a free pass for playing cupcake city non-conference.

"The teams in bad conferences want the best of both worlds -- they want the ability to finally get elite teams on their court, while continuing to march through cupcake alley during conference play."

Earlier you mentioned it's not the conference's fault for P5, then why is it the smaller conferences fault? These teams don't have much choice other than to play in the conference they are in. The P5s aren't going to accept many from the smaller conferences into their fold. So what are these mid majors supposed to do?

All that said, URI should adopt the UMass of the 90s approach and the Temple approach. Play anyone, anywhere. While it would be nice to get a P5 at home, like Alabama next year, it's not currently the norm. Work hard to get it, but if you need to do a home/home where Mohegan is our home game, so be it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
"Teams should not get punished for playing difficult conference schedules" - true - but it shouldn't give them a free pass for playing cupcake city non-conference.

"The teams in bad conferences want the best of both worlds -- they want the ability to finally get elite teams on their court, while continuing to march through cupcake alley during conference play."

Earlier you mentioned it's not the conference's fault for P5, then why is it the smaller conferences fault? These teams don't have much choice other than to play in the conference they are in. The P5s aren't going to accept many from the smaller conferences into their fold. So what are these mid majors supposed to do?
Cupcake city is a matter of perception --
If you look at Duke for example, they played a neutral court game against Michigan St., they played in tournament where they matched up against Texas and Florida, they played at Indiana in the ACC/B10 Challenge, and they played a road game against St. John's.
Syracuse is definitely weaker, but they played Kansas and UCONN on neutral courts, and Georgetown on the road. Their ACC/B1G matchup was a home game against Maryland this year. They had an OOC SOS of only 163, but finished with a total SOS of 27.

While it's not the conferences fault that it has a certain set of teams, it is the small conferences fault in that their teams could produce better results and make themselves better candidates for at-large and NCAA births. While smaller conferences will struggle to get their shot at P5 teams on their home-court, they do very often get them at neutral courts (NCAA environment?). The A10's top 5 teams last year went 1-5 in neutral court games against tournament teams. That's not including the fact St. Joseph's lost to Washington St and Harvard, pushing them into a 3rd tournament game against Sacramento St.

And so what do they do to fix it?
1) They win more games against higher-profile competition on neutral courts or on the road
2) They adopt pod scheduling like Conference USA did where you are are making sure all of your top teams are getting 2 cracks at each other.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Here is the reality of scheduling. Until the NCAA controls let’s say four dates a year for predetermined games so we can see what EVERY team in the country can do home and away, then it’s always going to have a significant bias to it. Come on NCAA step up!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Could this mean that Nevada some day DOES come to Kingston?

MWC Members (11)

Air Force
Boise State
Fresno State
Colorado State
Nevada
UNLV
New Mexico
San Diego State
San Jose State
Utah State
Wyoming
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They need to make that happen. Would be a great pairing for both conferences.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I would hope they put Nevada at Kingston year one of the arrangement, that would go a long way to ease the vitriol I feel for that program.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Road trip to Boise!
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Better yet road trip to Vegas !!!!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If I had to choose, I would rather miss every game for a whole season than make a trip to Boise, Idaho.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Better yet road trip to Vegas !!!!
Everyone can stay with reef :D
1 x