Dan Hurley Signs Contract Extension through 2023-24 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley Signs Contract Extension through 2023-24 Season

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm sure TV dictates starting times. There's nothing we can do about that.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody72 wrote:Here I go again. The team had far too much talent to have to win the A10 tournament in order to get into the NCAA tournament. They were every bit as good as Oregon, a 3 seed. I give Dan all the credit there is to give for being able to recruit such a talented team. It will be interesting to see if the success translates into more revenue for URI from all sources. There is significant head room for Dan to improve as a head coach. If you make the dance, you deserve a contract extension.
72 for the first time in almost two decades, the best time of the year for Rhody fans wasn't the offseason!
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Here I go again. The team had far too much talent to have to win the A10 tournament in order to get into the NCAA tournament. They were every bit as good as Oregon, a 3 seed. I give Dan all the credit there is to give for being able to recruit such a talented team. It will be interesting to see if the success translates into more revenue for URI from all sources. There is significant head room for Dan to improve as a head coach. If you make the dance, you deserve a contract extension.
72 for the first time in almost two decades, the best time of the year for Rhody fans wasn't the offseason!
Aw man but I loved those offseasons.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Technically didn't NEED to win the A10 tourney has we came to find out, but rather have that trophy than not have it. I'll take winning the tourney over at large bids every.single.season.
2 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Opening night will send the message from the fans to Coach Hurley regarding their commitment to sustaining this championship caliber program.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not sure if this has been shared- but I thought it was an interesting interview with Thorr Bjorn regarding Dan's contract.

http://athleticdirectoru.com/video/uri- ... xtensions/
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Great find. Love hearing behind the scenes stuff that a lot of us Hurleyboys or whatever we get called, have said all along.

Dan cares about basketball and this program and just wants to win. He'll be wherever makes that easiest.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for posting Bos8. Especially liked Thorr at the 18 to 19 minute mark when he talked about Dan's commitment to his players
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great coach we got here I love his passion work ethic and commitment. Hope he is here for the long haul
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Absolutely agree. I thought it was interesting to hear Thorr (as well as the UNI AD who has a similar situation to URI) talk fairly honestly about some of the limitations, and how both Coach Hurley and Thorr have a vision for the program and how they align.
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Would love to play UNI.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Northern Iowa ??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Northern Iowa ??

The Northern Iowa Panthers have recently been one of the strongest programs in the MVC (along with WSU & Creighton pre new BE) and made the NCAA Tournament SEVEN times since 2004. UNI has four tournament wins and a Sweet-16 in that span with victories over UNLV, Kansas, Wyoming, and Texas. It is exactly the type of opponent a top A-10 program should seek with an even H&H being a reasonable expectation.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Make them that last game if possible.....
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sure would be a nice addition they are usually very tough
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Just had a thought this morning after we signed yet another solid recruit, en route to possibly the deepest and most talented class to come through Kingston definitely in the last 2 decades, possibly in the past 3 or ever;

I can see Dan staying, possibly through the duration of this contract. Think of this:

It's very obvious Dan cares about 2 things: winning, and the school supporting him to make that as easy as possible.

Every year since Dan's hiring, you've seen drastic improvements in EVERYTHING around the program. From the fact that we still had VCR's to watch tape when he got here, to the locker room upgrades, training facility upgrade, Ryan Center upgrades, travel upgrades (bus and charter flights), expansion of his assistant coaches pool, and now the new film room. That has elevated us to national publicity, national TV games, better scheduling, better tournaments - and all of that has led to better recruits and a better team.

This class, especially with the current A10 landscape, has URI situated to win potentially 3 out of the 5 next A10 titles, but having our "rebuilding" years still squarely in the top half of the league, possibly in NCAA contention - similar to Shaka's VCU or Archie's Dayton.

That alone is enough to make Dan stay.

Another great thing to look at is Shaka's struggles at Texas. He went from a perennial NCAA 2nd weekend participant to a first round exit and missing the tournament altogether. Dan probably looks at that and as he's said many times, is "done rebuilding."

Combine all of this with the fact that schools would have to pay $1.5 mil to get Dan away from here, and his propensity to work with the athletic department to continually up that number, we are possibly about to go through the actual golden age of URI basketball.

Great time to be a ram.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Been waiting 20 years to be back at this point, hope it last more than a couple of years! Need to pack the Ryan Center this year, no questions asked.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just hope and pray we keep him long term, the way things are going we are in the conversation to win the league crown and dance every year which is awesome
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:Just had a thought this morning after we signed yet another solid recruit, en route to possibly the deepest and most talented class to come through Kingston definitely in the last 2 decades, possibly in the past 3 or ever;

I can see Dan staying, possibly through the duration of this contract. Think of this:

It's very obvious Dan cares about 2 things: winning, and the school supporting him to make that as easy as possible.

Every year since Dan's hiring, you've seen drastic improvements in EVERYTHING around the program. From the fact that we still had VCR's to watch tape when he got here, to the locker room upgrades, training facility upgrade, Ryan Center upgrades, travel upgrades (bus and charter flights), expansion of his assistant coaches pool, and now the new film room. That has elevated us to national publicity, national TV games, better scheduling, better tournaments - and all of that has led to better recruits and a better team.

This class, especially with the current A10 landscape, has URI situated to win potentially 3 out of the 5 next A10 titles, but having our "rebuilding" years still squarely in the top half of the league, possibly in NCAA contention - similar to Shaka's VCU or Archie's Dayton.

Another great thing to look at is Shaka's struggles at Texas. He went from a perennial NCAA 2nd weekend participant to a first round exit and missing the tournament altogether. Dan probably looks at that and as he's said many times, is "done rebuilding."

Combine all of this with the fact that schools would have to pay $1.5 mil to get Dan away from here, and his propensity to work with the athletic department to continually up that number, we are possibly about to go through the actual golden age of URI basketball.

Great time to be a ram.
yup, all of this.

The 2018 class is making it more and more apparent Dan is here for the long haul.

-We all know how much he likes the area and has become part of it.
-Plus his lobbying for long term improvements to facilities points to him expecting to be here a while. If he was planning on us being a stepping stone, he wouldn't care about the peripherals.
-He's gotten the NCAA monkey off his back
-The 2018 class is his "2nd wave" after the influx of EC, Hass, JT and Garrett. This is the class that takes you from flash in the pan to perennial contender and is the next step in building a true program.

Finally, he just strikes me as being like his dad. Not looking for the new bigger job, but rather stay in 1 place and build a community/legacy there.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's hope so
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Just had a thought this morning after we signed yet another solid recruit, en route to possibly the deepest and most talented class to come through Kingston definitely in the last 2 decades, possibly in the past 3 or ever;

Great time to be a ram.
yup, all of this.

The 2018 class is making it more and more apparent Dan is here for the long haul.

-We all know how much he likes the area and has become part of it.
-Plus his lobbying for long term improvements to facilities points to him expecting to be here a while. If he was planning on us being a stepping stone, he wouldn't care about the peripherals.
-He's gotten the NCAA monkey off his back
-The 2018 class is his "2nd wave" after the influx of EC, Hass, JT and Garrett. This is the class that takes you from flash in the pan to perennial contender and is the next step in building a true program.

Finally, he just strikes me as being like his dad. Not looking for the new bigger job, but rather stay in 1 place and build a community/legacy there.
Only point I disagree with is the 2nd; he did the same at Wagner. He doesn't want to leave a place in need. His idea of success is to set the next guy up for success. I truly hope that when Dan does leave that Dave Cox is our next HC.... but I'm not rooting for DH to leave ever!
0 x