BROWN BEATS PC!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

BROWN BEATS PC!!

Unread post by twisted3829 »

BROWN BEATS PC AT BROWN!!

chances they stop going to brown now??

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/sports/college/ ... ence-69-68
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: BROWN BEATS PC!!

Unread post by adam914 »

100%
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

so much for the road win helping the rpi! way to go bruno!
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

BE7 is now 1-2 vs the Ivy League ..... hmmmm ??
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

How many pee-cee supporters are questioning why they had to play at Brown?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Brown has now beaten both URI and PC at home in consecutive seasons.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

And Brown may beat us again this year......they have shown that they are not pushovers....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

key for the brown game, guard the 3 (and of course rebound better than the St Mary's game)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:And Brown may beat us again this year......they have shown that they are not pushovers....
Rhody will need to be ready. Bears look to be a gutsy team. They came back tonight against PC after being down by 7 with under a minute left. Henton was unconscious scoring 37. None of this however deterred Brown.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

I caught the last 5 minutes on TV. What a finish . Henton had 24 points in a row for PC near the end. Both teams made some big shots down the end. Halpern for Brown is a feel good story because I think he missed most if not all of last season with mono(?)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC up by 7 with 2 injures to go and they are hoisting up there's without running all the clock, and turnovers.......what an ugly loss, bad coaching the last two minutes of the game, they should never have lost this to a mediocre Ivy League team. It was on the road but gym was full of PCM fans, just like Boston college was.
Dunn and council at the guards and they lose to brown.
Tired of hearing about this elite group of catholic 7 schools, and seton hall eeeecked out a win tonight by 1 point.
The a10 top 7 is much better than this catholic 7.
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

i like the cyo 7 moniker myself.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

they should invite NJIT, they only lost by 1 earlier this season at PC and only lost by 10 tonight at Villanova
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody4324
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Rhody4324 »

I was at the PC-BC game Saturday and saw them flop there and now tonight?!?!?! It's almost as good as URI beating them..........almost.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Best game I've seen all year.
Ballsy Brown team, just refused to go away.
Henton was awesome for PC scoring 24(!!!) points in a row at one point in the'2nd half and 37 for the game.
Single best individual performance I've seen this year.
PC could not stop Tucker Halpern, who was clutch all night, including the winning
three with 7.3 seconds left. He had 27 points.
Sidiki Johnson didn't show me much, but he's probably very rusty. Ditto with Dunn.
Hope we're better than we were last night, on January 4th, because we could be in trouble
against Brown.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jmck wrote:i like the cyo 7 moniker myself.
All this hype about the catholic seven is only hype. It's is no longer Dave gavitt's big east, not by a long shot.
Seton hall, of, St. John's etc just not what they used to be.
A10 should hold their own and deal from strength on this, selection from this catholic 7 as they see fit, if they want any of them. The a10 is improving at a good pace the last few years, the momentum is really there, unlike the disaster that John marinato left behind
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye PC bye bye !!!

Say it aint so Eddie Cooley !!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Poor defense played by PC, especially by josh fortune against halpern. Horrendous to lose to bc and then brown.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm pissed that I forgot to DVR this game!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Although Cooley did rip his team's defense and called them soft, he did bring up that it was Council's first game back , trying to fit him in, and that Cotton was out....excuses, Big Bad PC from the powerful BE should never lose to Brown...under any circumstances.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Goes to show that these low level, small colleges in the former BigEast are going to have a very tough time without the mighty big-time schools helping them.

But at least the Friars beat Bryant who themselves defeated both BC and Brown. Transitive property of winning!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ATP,

I fail to see the corelation between last nights game and your theory

Brutal loss. This team has not played good defense the last two games
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Sean, so if the C7 schools are struggling NOW while still benefitting by their association to the big-time BE teams and all that brings, I just fail to see how things get better for them. How long ago would it be completely unthinkable that PC could ever lose to Brown? It's a fragile situation.

http://www.abc6.com/story/20462892/brow ... late-rally
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I'm afraid to comment on this until we play Brown next week.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Catholic 7 Over rated?
PC Loses to Brown 4-6 record
Villanova edges NJIT Highlanders with 6-6 record on their own homecourt by 10
Seton Hall beats Stonybrook with 8-4 record by 1 point

Today in the Catholic 7:
Depaul takes on Loyola of Chicago (8-3)
Marquette takes on North Carolina Central (6-6) at home

Catholic 7 not exactly making a case for a great TV package
A10 Schools should stay away from this Big East mess - just ask Temple.
A10 has a great commissioner and has made solid forward strides the past several years where as the BE has been falling
Which Stock would you buy, sell or hold - bet your future on?
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... on-friday/
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Other than some truly elite teams that year in year out reside in the top 10, the so-called middle/lower teams are closing the competitive gap in college hoops. Not exactly a news flash here, but this is among the examples that show up in game scores across the landscape, night after night.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

None of this has anything to do with TV markets and the ability of the C7 to convince X and Butler to join them......if X and Butler go then even if you could make a logical argument for them to stay, if they won't listen what can you do?

The bottom line seems to be that they will earn $350K in the A-10 and they seem to have assurances from the C7 that they will at least triple their TV money if they leave....maybe some backroom assurances from some network somewhere that this is the amount...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I really want to pile on PC for this one, but I have to admit I'm not that confident about our own chances. My wife had to pull me off a cliff after last year's loss to Brown, I hope it wasn't to make me suffer through another one this year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i think it will be a struggle for council and dunn to play together all year

dunn is going to be an awesome talent, but he is not a 2G and is forced to play the year out at that position b/c VC clearly isnt going to the 2 as he positions himself for a professional career

i dont get why we are jumping for joy over this loss when we could get beat by brown as well. they are a very good rebounding team, not a good matchup for us.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What kills us is a good rebounding team, with a decent
frontcourt.
Brown like us, is guard oriented, and I think Munford and Powell, along with
TJ, will do a better job on the perimeter defense than PC did.
Henton and Halpern were amazing last night. I don't recall a player scoring
24 points in a row like Henton did.
If we had a player like him on this team, we'd be talking about how many wins
we'd have by now. A pure forward is what we don't have, and it shows.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree henton was awesome last night. PC has a bunch of talent but their best players are all PGs that need the ball in their hands (council, dunn and cotton), they dont compliment themselves all that well. Sidiki johnson looks very very rusty still so dont expect much impact from him this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:i think it will be a struggle for council and dunn to play together all year

dunn is going to be an awesome talent, but he is not a 2G and is forced to play the year out at that position b/c VC clearly isnt going to the 2 as he positions himself for a professional career

i dont get why we are jumping for joy over this loss when we could get beat by brown as well. they are a very good rebounding team, not a good matchup for us.
Because I jump for joy EVERY time PC loses. I jump even higher when it is to a lowly in-state team like Brown.
Some URI fans root for PC in every game of the year except for when we play them. I have never been one of those people.
To me it would be like rooting for the Yankees in every game they play except for when they play the Red Sox.

We could lose to Brown by 50 points, but I will still be happy that Brown beat the Friars in front of 80% PC Fans at Brown.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A quick check of the PC board, shows multiple threads on the Brown loss, and people on suicide watch.
They really thought getting Dunn and Johnson were the magic bullets.
Too many players playing the same position, like Dunn, Council and Cotton are, is a problem.
Egos, career goals, and other things come into play.
As an aside to our fans.....look at Cooley trying to blend rusty players into a cohesive unit.
Anyone who thinks Rhody is going to just blow everyone away next OOC schedule is kidding themselves.
I don't care how much practice time a player gets, it doesn't translate into playing
actual games.
Hurley has a huge task in front of him, to blend as many as 8 new players into a real team.
The three transfers, Oneykaba and as many as four freshmen.
It's going to take time to get everyone on the same page.
I think some expectations are over the top for next year, or at least the opening
portion of the schedule.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I went to the game. Was one of the best games I have ever seen live. The kid #33 was on fire. Pc was sloppy but brown played well. It will be a tough matchup for us.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PC didn't try as hard as they needed. Brown has some height and some great 3point shooting.

Dunn?? he didn't look special. His body didn't seem strong; just how he played defense seemed like had obviously been hurt for a long time. The way he played the full court press looked like URI(2011).

Cotton looked pissed!

Why did PC keep running their offense into the corner? ?strange.

Kids think they can beat teams like Brown just by scoring more, but it is the defensive abilities that really set the two levels apart. Suffocate them on defense and then take the easy buckets on offense and you have a blowout.

I like our chances going into the game because we consistently are in the faces of our opponents and we are home.

Cooley tried to integrate his studs in a gimme on the East Side and he got burned. Good stuff. Obviously the introduction of Council, Dunn, and Johnson has hurt.

Oh Johnson! he looks awful. His touch with the ball is opposite of what Batts has.

Enjoyed the upset and I don't think this means they beat us. URI 71-B-56
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I dont think The new guys next year are a good comparison to integrating guys back from injury midseason.

Certainly there is a challenge, but I say less of a challenge than trying to throw out 2 NBA prospects into the starting lineup from injury OVER a kid(cotton) that has been actually playing like an NBA prospect.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Was cotton hurt or in trouble?
It may have been a home game for brown but the crowd was85%PC fans. If URI sleeps on brown because it's our home game we will lose. On top of everything else brown was terrible from the free throw line and still won.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A very nice win for Brown. I heard the place was largely a PC crowd, perhaps because of the school break and most Brown students being from out of state. Plus, I don't think Brown packs them in very much anyway.
I heard some of this on the radio, and Rooke and Hasset both said they had a bad feeling as time was going by.
Of course only in sports is being an Ivy Leaguer a disadvantage.
I agree with Rod. I think Hurley's third season is the pivotal one. If he succeeds ahead of schedule, great. But he was left with virtually nothing and scraped together the program this summer. Let's hope full recruiting seasons make a difference.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A lot of hypocrisy on the PC side with relation to playing at Brown as opposed to at URI.

Cooley - every PC-URI game should be played at the DDC yet recently justifies playing at Brown as he wants to play road games to prepare his team for conference play.

PC fans going on about how the PC-URI game should always be played at the DDC because its bigger seating capacity will allow more people to see the game. This logic apparently doesn't apply to playing at Brown in its 2800 seat Pizzatola Center venue which is nearly 5000 seats less than the Ryan Center.

Rooke going on about how PC should not play in Kingston but praises Cooley for playing at Brown.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let them whine.The home and home will continue, bitching or not.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

PC up 7 with 1:30 to go and the ball & they lose. Cooley points to Henton as the worst defensive player on the court. Way to throw your best player under the bus. No doubt they played poorly on defense but to single out a player in the press is classless. Rip your players all you want behind closed doors. Cooley has to look in the mirror for blowing a 7 point lead in such little time. Allowing them to hoist up 3s in that situation is not good coaching.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Will we be favored against Brown?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There goes the NIT bid.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Another puzzling loss for the CYO7 as DePaul goes down at home to Loyola (IL).. yikes..
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Brown will be tough but I do think we win a close one !!!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Sorry for not posting for awhile - celebrating sixth grandchild.

Anyway, Rod brings up a good point about our exterior defense. If you check the a-10 stat board, we are one the top teams defending the shots behind the line. Except for one glaring error against Loyola we have done fairly well. One would assume we will be favored by a couple.

happy new year!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Happy New Year, Neil, and congratulation!
Nothing like grandkids!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

RF1,

Get over yourself. Cooley was kidding during a press conference. Also, the PC fans that want the game at the DDC point on the disparity on percentages of tickets available to opposing fans; but you knew that didn't you?

You and actual facts have never been introduced.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:RF1,

Get over yourself. Cooley was kidding during a press conference. Also, the PC fans that want the game at the DDC point on the disparity on percentages of tickets available to opposing fans; but you knew that didn't you?

You and actual facts have never been introduced.

I am surprised you have time to post here given all the time you spend posting on the UConn board. It seems to me you post more on the URI and UConn boards than the PC board. Very strange behavior if you ask me.

Disparity of tickets? Did Brown allot a large number of tickets to PC for it to sell? Was it more than URI gives PC for Ryan Center games? Was it more than PC gives URI for DDC games?

From what I have read, PC fans accounted for about 75-80% of the crowd at Brown. I however have seen nothing to indicate that PC was given an extraordinary amount of tickets from Brown to distribute to their fans. It appears to me that Friar fans bought tickets on their own from the Brown ticket office in large numbers. The real issue seems to be that some PC fans don't like the fact that URI fans buy tickets to the game at the Ryan Center as well as the DDC. The reality is that away team fans should not expect some very special treatment with regards to tickets. Given the Friars rarely play true OOC road games, this is probably lost on them.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

What a day, PC losing to Brown and I'm catching waves and rays in beautiful Rincon, PR. Although, it does damage our RPI, which truly doesn't matter this year anyway.
0 x
'No Mercy.'