2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Since Tom Moore said something, I guess it's no longer a secret. Our home game is and always has been at the Mohegan and it will be part of the season ticket package. The question has been where the game would be played when we go to WV. I wonder if that was the holdup? I don't know if any of that information has changed, but that's what I knew. Waiting to sign papers before announcing. If Moore said something, I'm thinking it's now finalized?
This actually makes me pretty mad. Don’t you think WVU fans are going to assume The Ryan Center isnt good enough now? Maybe I’m overreacting but this is BS. If we want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, we can’t rent out another arena just because we’re playing a bigger program when we have a high class facility that needs to be shown off on a national stage as much as possible. Plus the atmosphere from our fans will Be night and day comparing the Ryan and Mohegan.
So we should just schedule Maine at home again instead?
5 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Since Tom Moore said something, I guess it's no longer a secret. Our home game is and always has been at the Mohegan and it will be part of the season ticket package. The question has been where the game would be played when we go to WV. I wonder if that was the holdup? I don't know if any of that information has changed, but that's what I knew. Waiting to sign papers before announcing. If Moore said something, I'm thinking it's now finalized?
This actually makes me pretty mad. Don’t you think WVU fans are going to assume The Ryan Center isnt good enough now? Maybe I’m overreacting but this is BS. If we want to hold ourselves to a higher standard, we can’t rent out another arena just because we’re playing a bigger program when we have a high class facility that needs to be shown off on a national stage as much as possible. Plus the atmosphere from our fans will Be night and day comparing the Ryan and Mohegan.
I think in many ways you can look at it the opposite way - that if a team can weasel out of stepping foot on our campus and playing in what would surely be a lion's den (ram's den?) of a Ryan Center, they're going to do it. The reality is that certain programs have the leverage to negotiate their way out of it in a return game scenario. So be it. I think a "home game" at Mohegan will be a lot of fun.

(You also have to figure that a program like WVU that travels well will want a certain ticket allotment as part of the agreement, so if they want 500 seats do you want to have that be 500 out of 7500 or 500 out of 10,000? If you're URI, from both a home court advantage standpoint and from the standpoint of being able to cash in on ticket sales, maybe it makes some sense have the extra 2500 seats to sell.)

One question I have is what the alternate venue would be for WVU? I'd imagine that whatever arena they play in is the only legit venue anywhere in the state. Could they possibly be thinking Pittsburgh?
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote:Hey is WVU losing a lot of players for next year ??
They're losing their two best players! (Sound familiar?)

Very fortunate for us. Daxter Miles Jr and Jevon Carter are stellar.

We will be losing 5 payers to their 2.

We may be taking a biggest step back, but hey, we're a real deal program now so we can beat them in Mohegan.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes good call I just saw they are losing those 2 studs so that's good for us
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
I'm going to go with "overreacting"...who cares what the WVU fans think?
Mohegan Sun is not in Australia, so should be a very good Rhody crowd...Beat them and it won't even matter?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wish we beat them for Joe Mazzulla
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LOL at the fact people are bitter about playing WV at Mohegan because they have hurt feelings about the past when we used to play them etc etc.

Give me a god damn break.

Literally nobody else cares what happened when we used to play them way back when.

Totally 10000% irrelevant to now.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Leave it to this board to somehow find a way to see the negative in everything - even if it doesn't exist.

You are huffing glue while hanging from the ceiling if you can see anything bad here.

We have a game next year and the year following against a near lock top 20 team. Not only that, it's a game included in the season ticket package so no one has to go out and buy the tickets. It is 40 minutes from campus so you know there will be a phenomenal Rhody crowd, as it always is at Mohegan. It's also at a fantastic place to visit and stay.

I really struggle daily to understand the complaints and opinions about this program that aren't based in reality.

Sorry, just because we went to one tournament and won a game in 20 years doesn't mean we are now a superior program to a team that has been to like 4x as many tournaments - 10 since 98, 6 sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s, and a final four - while we won 1 game in that same span. Not to say we aren't doing great for our own historical comparison, but good God y'all need perspective.

Like one day you people are saying we suck if we lose to a top 25 team on the road, and need to be blowing people out by more (both wrong assumptions). Then you start huffing and puffing like we're a blue blood school and conveniently forget anything that happened from 2000-2016 and live in this fantasy world where we're the best program ever and other schools should feel privileged to play us.

These are also the same people that laugh at PC fans who think they're on the same level as UCONN.

We are a program that is being built. We are well on our way to being a known commodity as a basketball program, but we aren't even CLOSE to being there yet. Dan would say the same thing. We need to invest in the program so that we get Dan to stay here, and need a sweet 16 appearance this year, plus at LEAST 2 more tournament births and wins after this before you start to get a "powerhouse" reputation. You can't just make 2 tourney births and count yourself as "arrived" - you need to sustain that for more than one major recruiting class.

For now, can we just be pumped we have a MAJOR OOC opportunity on the schedule for the next 2 years?
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:Leave it to this board to somehow find a way to see the negative in everything - even if it doesn't exist.

You are huffing glue while hanging from the ceiling if you can see anything bad here.

We have a game next year and the year following against a near lock top 20 team. Not only that, it's a game included in the season ticket package so no one has to go out and buy the tickets. It is 40 minutes from campus so you know there will be a phenomenal Rhody crowd, as it always is at Mohegan. It's also at a fantastic place to visit and stay.

I really struggle daily to understand the complaints and opinions about this program that aren't based in reality.

Sorry, just because we went to one tournament and won a game in 20 years doesn't mean we are now a superior program to a team that has been to like 4x as many tournaments - 10 since 98, 6 sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s, and a final four - while we won 1 game in that same span. Not to say we aren't doing great for our own historical comparison, but good God y'all need perspective.

Like one day you people are saying we suck if we lose to a top 25 team on the road, and need to be blowing people out by more (both wrong assumptions). Then you start huffing and puffing like we're a blue blood school and conveniently forget anything that happened from 2000-2016 and live in this fantasy world where we're the best program ever and other schools should feel privileged to play us.

These are also the same people that laugh at PC fans who think they're on the same level as UCONN.

We are a program that is being built. We are well on our way to being a known commodity as a basketball program, but we aren't even CLOSE to being there yet. Dan would say the same thing. We need to invest in the program so that we get Dan to stay here, and need a sweet 16 appearance this year, plus at LEAST 2 more tournament births and wins after this before you start to get a "powerhouse" reputation. You can't just make 2 tourney births and count yourself as "arrived" - you need to sustain that for more than one major recruiting class.

For now, can we just be pumped we have a MAJOR OOC opportunity on the schedule for the next 2 years?
jesus christ, not every complaint is people taking negative shots at the program.

what you got in a tizzy over is simply people CORRECTLY calling WVU out for being too afraid to come play us in a true road game in Kingston.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't think people (other than me) were calling out WVU for being too afraid to come to campus to play us. People were calling out URI for agreeing to the demeaning terms of playing their home game at a bigger arena that is also one of the coolest venues all-around in New England. Makes no sense to me, but that's what people were doing.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote:Leave it to this board to somehow find a way to see the negative in everything - even if it doesn't exist.

Great post, well said. I've said the same thing and get accused of "moving the goalposts" for URI. (You critics know who you are.) The fact is the program has not "arrived"...is not on the same level of Gonzaga, Butler, etc...has not sustained long-term success. You gotta crawl before you walk...and walk before you run. URI is in the walking stage right now. Some more non-conference top-25 wins, more NCAA births, consistent A10 regular season titles, some NCAA wins and then URI is off and running.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Mohegan is at least 2 hours closer than MSG. I remember the home game we played there against WVU in 88. That was fun!
1 x
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

Since the game at Mohegan is in our season ticket package, will it be considered a home or neutral court game for us?

I love URI games at Mohegan so I'm excited for this.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'm not a Mohegan Sun fan, but the arena is good for basketball. If it's in the season ticket package I wonder how they'll assign seats.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gotta do what you gotta do to build the program. At this stage, get a chance to play that team (or any other team like them) in that venue...do it. If it would be better to play them at the RC and they could have swung it, they would have, but don't see how anyone can complain about that venue. At all. This is awesome, and the fact that it's in the season ticket package makes it like 4x more awesome-r...... If/when the program gets to some Sweet Sixteens and gets that national rep...then will be more able to dictate terms. Until then, just get these games and WIN them to keep climbing...
3 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

As long as the Mohegan game is on a Saturday then I am all for it. We saw the kind of draw that PC and Houston got for their weekday game and it was not impressive. As good as a crowd we got for Cincy last year, I think we got an even better turnout for the Oklahoma State game 7-8 years ago. That felt like a true home game. The Cincy game didn't have the same feel mainly because of all the empty seats from Duke fans that only watched the first game and then left
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....Mohegan Sun has come along way in hosting these games; if I recall correctly at the Ok State game, the college lanes etc were done in tape on the WNBA floor, the scorers and PA announcers were ours......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm just saying, beating BIG10 ranked Nebraska at the Ryan Center was awesome. Beating ranked Cinci was also awesome at Mohegan so ultimately I'm very happy we are playing WV in general, but would rather have it in Kingston. I'm done crying.
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

From what I understand from this negotiations from an insider because I am def not an insider, is that if URI shows it can sustain this level of success over the next couple of years, WVU might be willing to do a home and home at campus sites. This whole thing came about due to URI getting Jermaine Harris to commit over WVU. They took notice of our program at that point.

People have to remember a couple of this about this arrangement. Dan wants to play and even tougher OOC schedule moving forward, we do that by getting games like this against sure fire top 25 programs. Remember this, we haven’t even been able to fill our schedule up the last couple of years. Hello guys did you hear that, couldn’t even fill our schedule up. This agreement was a no brainer, while we didn’t get everything from this ie a home game at the Ryan, we did get a nuetral site game as the metrics are concerned only 40 minutes from campus with what should be a HUGE Rhode home crowd advantage. Baby steps everyone, baby steps. We need to be realistic with where we are currently until we can prove the sustainability of our program.
4 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

This is great scheduling news - taking it any other way is just picking nits, especially when holding grudges from 30 years ago. I’ve been to a few of the games at Mohegan, and while the RC is definitely preferable, we can still get a great home court advantage there.

For me, the best part of this news is that it is not a part of a tournament where we might play WVU. It is on our schedule for the next two years guaranteed and allows us to add another marquee opportunity or two through in-season tournaments. Bama at Home next year, WVU at Mohegan, AND Diamond Head tournament over Christmas? Our strength of schedule is top20 this year, could be even better next year. Love it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think it is a good team to play, but not happy about playing a former conference rival home/neutral. I think marketing better get on this so it is sold out by URI fans. Include it in the 5 game mini plan. Even the 3 game mini plan. I like Mohegan, went to the Duke game. But if we need to cowtow to former conference rivals, we better win these games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For sure
Bottom line is that this group knows what they are doing in all facets of the game. Examples to check off......
- Win A10 Championship
- Win NCAA Game and advance to Round of 32
- Play Oregon very, very tough with shot at Sweet 16 but Martin was hurt
- Beat PC, beat Seton Hall from Big East this season alone
- Charter Flights
- Increase Coaches pay
- Increase attendance
- Preseason pick to win A10
- Establish program as Elite along with Dayton and VCU
- Improve facilities - Video Room, etc
- Land recruiting classes in 1st signing period
- Academic support phenomenal - no academic casualties or crisis at all
- Top 25 Recruiting Class
- Recruiting Top Talent in future classes like 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Maintaining high morale among all players, even those receiving low minutes
- Much improved National TV Exposure, all games capable of streaming at a minimum
- Top 25 Ranking
- 4 Victories over Top 25 ranked teams - predecessor did not win any in 11 years
- Assistant Coaches moving on to higher positions: Bobby Hurley, Preston Murphy, Luke Murray
- Developed tremendous defensive schemes, strategies, talents, hustle (much like VCU Havoc)
- Building National Reputation
- Candidate for prestigious Thanksgiving and Christmas Tournaments
- Italy and Bahamas Summer Trips (every 4 years possible)
-

If you build it they will come - and we are starting to see the fans coming out in bigger numbers.

Pinch me, I'm dreaming
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

If the almost 45 year old coach was playing pg in the Big East the last time two schools played each other as conference rivals, I think it’s probably ok to let the “rival” thing go. WVU is in the Big 12. In 16-17, that entire conference played just 9.7% of its OOC games as true away games. That year, West Virginia had just one true OOC away game- at then 6th ranked Virginia. Rhode Island playing West Virginia at Mohegan is a great game to get.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes couldn't be happier with the direction of this program

Just keep DH here and we should dominate this conference going forward which leads to NCAA berths every year
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I've been bitching for the last 20 years and now there is nothing to bitch about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I miss bitching. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Do what other people do and bark about a group of posters that don't exist.

Is this DH's 3? 4? game at Mohegan? All the opponents were WVU level or better. Schedule looks good. I will go. It is fun going there for a game.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:From what I understand from this negotiations from an insider because I am def not an insider, is that if URI shows it can sustain this level of success over the next couple of years, WVU might be willing to do a home and home at campus sites.
I would like to recommend that people read the above part of CT Rhody's post, and then read it again, and then keep it in mind when forming your opinion of whether playing this game at Mohegan is a good idea or not.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Wait for pc to say they will only play us at Mohegan. How would that go over? Also, I think we should end giving Brown a home game. They certainly don't deserve it.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

adam914 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:From what I understand from this negotiations from an insider because I am def not an insider, is that if URI shows it can sustain this level of success over the next couple of years, WVU might be willing to do a home and home at campus sites.
I would like to recommend that people read the above part of CT Rhody's post, and then read it again, and then keep it in mind when forming your opinion of whether playing this game at Mohegan is a good idea or not.
What does that have to do with playing at Mohegan? If we're consistently an NCAA tournament team then playing us on the road, especially with the the new quadrant system, shouldn't be as big a deal for most teams because at worse it'd be Q1 loss. I'm sure West Virginia wanted the game at Mohegan to be a road rather than neutral not only because Mohegan is much closer to us but it also means if we're top 75 rpi we're a Q1 win/loss as opposed to having to be top 50.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

theblueram wrote:Wait for pc to say they will only play us at Mohegan. How would that go over? Also, I think we should end giving Brown a home game. They certainly don't deserve it.
not sure if the part about brown is sarcasm or not, but why not play at brown? you realize that it saves us having to buy brown every year and if we can't get a large fan base to go to brown and win at brown every other year, we are in trouble
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Wait for pc to say they will only play us at Mohegan. How would that go over? Also, I think we should end giving Brown a home game. They certainly don't deserve it.
not sure if the part about brown is sarcasm or not, but why not play at brown? you realize that it saves us having to buy brown every year and if we can't get a large fan base to go to brown and win at brown every other year, we are in trouble
Also means we can go on the road and play a true road game against a top team. Not a 250-300 rpi team.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:
twisted3829 wrote:
Also means we can go on the road and play a true road game against a top team. Not a 250-300 rpi team.
Financially speaking, not buying them out every single year is a cost saver obviously. Also playing 30 minutes up the road isn’t expensive either. So a program that is trying to drive up revenue and manage its cost, this series makes sense. If we get to the point that power 5 teams want to give us homes and homes and this game is hard to fit in, then we’ll cross that bridge when it comes. For now we can’t even fill out our schedule with qualified opponents so why kick out an instate tradition?
2 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Home
Alabama
Nevada

Away
Providence
Brown
Holy Cross at the DCU Center
College of Charleston

Diamond Head Classic at University of Hawaii December 22, 23, and 25
3 games vs. UNLV, TCU, Colorado, St. Mary's, Indiana State, Hawaii, and Charlotte

Atlantic 10 tournament at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY

Saturday, 12/22 Diamond Head Classic
Sunday, 12/23 Diamond Head Classic
Tuesday 12/25 Diamond Head Classic
Since Tom Moore confirmed the game this week, safe to put the Mohegan game against West Virginia to the schedule above. If you count that as a “home” game, URI with 3 OOC home games with potential top 25 teams on the schedule for next year. That is unreal.

Can we also add two “open” slots on there for the remaining games and one “open” slot potentially for the Hawaii tournament. It’s been discussed we are allowed four games for this tournament and might get the 4th.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this schedule is very tough loving it !!
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote:Wow this schedule is very tough loving it !!
Would be a great time to add Harvard as a home and home and start it at the Ryan in 18-19. I would assume Dan is looking for quality opponents for those last two open slots that will likely be home games.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That would be a good one
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

CT Rhody wrote:Since Tom Moore confirmed the game this week, safe to put the Mohegan game against West Virginia to the schedule above. If you count that as a “home” game, URI with 3 OOC home games with potential top 25 teams on the schedule for next year. That is unreal.

Can we also add two “open” slots on there for the remaining games and one “open” slot potentially for the Hawaii tournament. It’s been discussed we are allowed four games for this tournament and might get the 4th.
I've added the game as a neutral site game. I'm not sure why we'd call it a home game. Home games tend to be played in the same state your university is located in
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Do what other people do and bark about a group of posters that don't exist.

Is this DH's 3? 4? game at Mohegan? All the opponents were WVU level or better. Schedule looks good. I will go. It is fun going there for a game.

It's #5 for DH...
Year 1 had Rhody in a tourney taking on Ohio State and (iirc) Seton Hall...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:Since Tom Moore confirmed the game this week, safe to put the Mohegan game against West Virginia to the schedule above. If you count that as a “home” game, URI with 3 OOC home games with potential top 25 teams on the schedule for next year. That is unreal.

I've added the game as a neutral site game. I'm not sure why we'd call it a home game. Home games tend to be played in the same state your university is located in
Thanks Rhowdy! This is officially a nuetral site game and will be that way for the metric calculations. It’s on us to make this a home environment however!
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Do what other people do and bark about a group of posters that don't exist.

It's #5 for DH...
Year 1 had Rhody in a tourney taking on Ohio State and (iirc) Seton Hall...
Thanks. I thought it wasn't a novelty. Should be fun.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Some good destinations in there too for away games.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think we should try to do the home/home Mohegan thing every year, with new P5/high level opponents. The casino gives teams coming in a reason for their fans to travel. We get a home court advantage, at a neutral site. To me it's a win-win for us.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Home

Noun: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

Adjective: (of a sports game) played at the team's own field or court.

What is so hard about realizing Mohegan Sun is NOT OUR HOME? It is NOT a home game for us. Stop. Words have meanings. And why should we play a neutral game every year so our opponent can get a home game in return? That's a dumb strategy.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As an avid URI, craps, and blackjack fan - my opinion is biased here in that I would love a Mohegan game every year with a top billed opponent.

The benefits are numerous and obvious, including but not limited to: the game itself against a top 25 opponent, national television exposure, a neutral game which is worth more now than a home game in the selection process, and the benefit of another top 25 game the next year.

Add in the fact that we don’t even need to pay for tickets and all our season ticket holders and students go to the game?

I can drink a beer in my seat and have my choice of dozens (any) of restaurants within walking distance of the arena? Basically what everyone is in concert on for wanting on campus?

It’s an extra 40 minute drive for most of us and there’s a hotel. How is any of this bad??

Where is the bad?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Besides the fact that winning is supposed to be important and this scenario puts us at a competitive disadvantage? Besides the fact that casinos are depressing as fuck and it's nice to be on campus? Besides the fact that Mohegan Sun arena is worse than the Ryan Center? Besides the fact that we already have a hard enough time scheduling top teams at the Ryan Center and now they would have zero reason to ever play us at home?

I'm the person who said we should play every year at Mohegan if we could get UConn to sign up and split the crowd 50/50. That makes sense. Doing this West Virginia thing and expanding it is a bad idea.

Also, how do we know that this is included for season ticket holders and students are free? That seems to have just been assumed with zero proof or confirmation.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Absolutely nothing bad about this. Would love for it to become an annual (top flight opponent) tradition.
0 x
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

I would be 100% on board with this. I happen to think the Mohegan venue is great for basketball
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Besides the fact that winning is supposed to be important and this scenario puts us at a competitive disadvantage? Besides the fact that casinos are depressing as fuck and it's nice to be on campus? Besides the fact that Mohegan Sun arena is worse than the Ryan Center? Besides the fact that we already have a hard enough time scheduling top teams at the Ryan Center and now they would have zero reason to ever play us at home?

I'm the person who said we should play every year at Mohegan if we could get UConn to sign up and split the crowd 50/50. That makes sense. Doing this West Virginia thing and expanding it is a bad idea.

Also, how do we know that this is included for season ticket holders and students are free? That seems to have just been assumed with zero proof or confirmation.
So if the choices are a West Virginia caliber opponent at Mohegan or another 200+ RPI game at home would you opt for the home game?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote: The benefits are numerous and obvious, including but not limited to: the game itself against a top 25 opponent, national television exposure, a neutral game which is worth more now than a home game in the selection process, and the benefit of another top 25 game the next year.
How is it worth more than a home game? It's going to be considered a home game yet we won't get the true home advantage. West Virginia gets to play a road game and won't have to deal as difficult of an environment as it would be at the RC. I would have preferred it to be considered a neutral site game but I doubt West Virginia would have accepted that.

To be clear I think it's great for adding a strong team to our schedule, national exposure and giving fans a big game to get excited about but after being at the Cincy game last year I think it's clear we're getting the raw end of the deal. I'm just hoping we don't play at Mohegan next year on a week night, that'd probably be the worst scenario for this "home" and home.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Besides the fact that winning is supposed to be important and this scenario puts us at a competitive disadvantage? Besides the fact that casinos are depressing as fuck and it's nice to be on campus? Besides the fact that Mohegan Sun arena is worse than the Ryan Center? Besides the fact that we already have a hard enough time scheduling top teams at the Ryan Center and now they would have zero reason to ever play us at home?

So if the choices are a West Virginia caliber opponent at Mohegan or another 200+ RPI game at home would you opt for the home game?
This is a ridiculous question. Those are not the choices, as we've seen this year.
0 x