Men's Basketball End of Year Celebration!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: Men's Basketball End of Year Celebration!

Unread post by Ramulous »

The game is mainly important for attendance purposes at the Ryan Center.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hey, an 800 increase in the average attendance next season, from 5200 to 6000, would be worth at least a 250K bump in revenue for the program.....not an insignificant amount.

Not saying a win against PC would be responsible for all of that of course, but it would certainly help.

IMO a best case scenario is 6000...that's with a win over PC and a ranked URI team for a good part of the season.....starting by kicking some OOC ass in November and December.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why is this always presented as an either/or scenario? It's a false premise. In reality, beating PC isn't just an end to itself (although it is obviously nice), it is also an important game for accomplishing our program goals in terms of making the NCAA tournament. It doesn't make any sense to present it as a "would you rather" question because that is a false choice. The two things are not mutually exclusive to one another, and really it is the opposite.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

A lot of people consider it the most important game of the year. It is far from it.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:A lot of people consider it the most important game of the year. It is far from it.
I used to make a big deal of this game but no more. The game gets hyped above what it realistically should. If we lose, we lose and move on. I'm not losing any sleep over it, not worth it. We had a very successful 2016-17 season because of the Atlantic 10 Play, A10 Conference Play and then NCAA play. It could be argued that the tough OOC schedule, including the tough road games, helped us finish the way we did.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Keep losing to PC, keep losing ticket sale revenue.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Keep losing to PC, keep losing ticket sale revenue.
I'm just saying I am over the PC hype and nonsense. Seeing it written over and over again last year in the PROJO about how we had lost "x" straight to them, even in articles that were written several days later, just made me say screw it. The game is over hyped, over analyzed, over rated in the big scheme of things.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Keep losing to PC, keep losing ticket sale revenue.
I'm just saying I am over the PC hype and nonsense. Seeing it written over and over again last year in the PROJO about how we had lost "x" straight to them, even in articles that were written several days later, just made me say screw it. The game is over hyped, over analyzed, over rated in the big scheme of things.
Sorry, I disagree. If funding is the biggest problem with the program, this game is huge.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In the battle for "hearts and minds" of the casual Rhode Island fan it matters.
Beyond that it's just another game.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's fine if you think it is huge. It's fine if you think funding is the biggest problem with the URI Basketball Program. If you think the success or failure of the URI Basketball Program depends on URI winning this game it's ok. I've been there myself, but not anymore.........and as Cooley says, it's just another game on the schedule.
And if Kevin Mac wants to get the URI Board riled up with talking about the rivalry and which team is going to be better? I am not biting. I refused to post on that thread. But if others want to that's perfectly ok, just that I''m letting go the PC stuff and more about:
- Recruiting this summer
- London/Paris
- OCC overall schedule
- Thanksgiving Tournament in NYC including Thanksgiving day game
- Tuscaloosa in November
- November signing day for new recruits
- URI Baseball and Football and all other sports
- A10 Conference games
- Senior Night
- A10 Conference Tournament in Washington DC - a must to attend
- Post Season Play

The PC Game will have a winner and a loser. URI Basketball Attendance will be what it will be. if people think 800 to 1000 more people will attend URI games based on us winning the PC Game then go for it, but if we lose the Program will continue onward and upward - this year shows that.
2 x