Men's Basketball End of Year Celebration!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Men's Basketball End of Year Celebration!

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll bite real quick ramster....increased money for assistants and a bigger recruiting budget.

Our assistants make diddly squat compared to schools that we want to be compared with.

And we need every dime possible to get after recruits......

If this program hopes to continue on an upward trajectory....the next couple of years are huge....beyond huge....if we don't get what we need, the program takes a step back.

And Dan and staff know it.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would try to get the state or someone to update the entry to the Ryan Center to be a more impressive entrance and foyer?Concourse? Basically continue to polish what we have the way Dan has done with some upgrades. Up the Asst. budget and recruiting. Really the chartered flights and upgrade travel.

Recruits walk into the Ryan center and it could add a bump there if start to finish everything is top notch.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The ability to buy good home games in OOC is often overlooked, as well. Between that, travel budget, upgrades to facilities (current wish list includes modest goals of locker room facelift and a video room) and money to retain or attract good coaches, you can find plenty of uses for the money. I did hear that Coach Cox, who is increasingly in demand every offseason, was "taken care of" recently, but I did not get the details. Hopefully he got a nice bump, he is a stud and deserves it.
Last edited by TruePoint 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I had heard that Cox was the scout for most of the 9 game winning streak, and obviously did a great job. Glad that they increased his salary.

He's definitely a candidate for a HC job.....possibly even here someday.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:Keep in mind schools like Umass need it since hockey also plays in their arena. PC needs one since they play their games off campus. URI for the majority of the time practices at the Ryan Center, if they can get that up to 95% of the time or so then who in the country has a nicer practice facility than that? Practicing on your own rims adds another benifit to the equation as well.
I don't buy your reasons for UMass and PC needing basketball practice facilities.
UMass has a separate practice ice hockey rink that is attached to the Mullins Center. The hockey team plays 16 home games a year at the Mullins Center. Seven Fridays at 7PM and weekends when the basketball team also has a game.
PC has survived for 45 years playing games off campus. They have Alumni Hall on campus for practice.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yeah just an arms race. Not sure if it will tangibly give a program more value. I think just personally if I was a decision maker I would have to see the team being harmed by not having a stand alone practice facility before investing there.

My grad school is building one for football because its the last program to not have one. They definitely need one. URI basketball practice? IDK. I am firmly in the camp of repurposing space URI already has or just a small buildout from the huge structure URI already has between the 4-5 buildings.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: PC has survived for 45 years playing games off campus. They have Alumni Hall on campus for practice.
The big reasons the practice facility was pushed:
1) They wanted something nicer. Alumni was recently renovated but would never be considered new or "state-of-the-art."
2) They wanted the basketball team to have a place to go 24/7. They wanted the team to be able to shoot, work out, and hang out in a place that felt like their own. If they wanted to shoot, they didn't have to wait for a women's game, volleyball game, or student life event to finish first.
3) Touched on above, it's more than just a place to shoot baskets or practice. There will be a brand new film room. There will be a brand new work out facility. There will be a private kitchen. So it'll benefit the athletic programs in more way than just creating more space and time to practice.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like today's athletes have to be pampered even more than the ones as recently as 10 or 15 years ago. Stuff like that makes me want to donate less, not more.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Recruiting just gets tougher and tougher every year.

The haves will flourish....the have nots will struggle.

Like it or not, that's the reality.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Sounds like today's athletes have to be pampered even more than the ones as recently as 10 or 15 years ago. Stuff like that makes me want to donate less, not more.
It's not about being pampered, it's a direct result of the athletes not being paid. Because they're not paid and the top programs have all this money, it's funneled into exorbitant coaching salaries and facilities.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Sounds like today's athletes have to be pampered even more than the ones as recently as 10 or 15 years ago. Stuff like that makes me want to donate less, not more.
It's not about being pampered, it's a direct result of the athletes not being paid. Because they're not paid and the top programs have all this money, it's funneled into exorbitant coaching salaries and facilities.
I was referring to the comment that a practice facility is needed because a basketball player might have to wait a little while for a women's game to end to get in a workout. Tough shit. Schedule your workout around the women's game. I'm sure the players know when the RC will not be available. To me, that's not a good reason to build a practice facility. That's what I mean when I'm saying they have to be pampered.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ok, that's great. And if that was the reality everywhere, there would be no issue. But because that isn't the reality at the top places, and schools like us want to compete with those top places, we end up in an arms race.

I don't say this as someone that supports the idea of a practice facility on its own merits. I don't see why the combination of our facilities isn't good enough with some modifications to give our team everything they need to successfully compete. However, on a recruiting level it appears at some point we'll either need a stand alone facility for basketball only or we'll need more extensive modifications to facilities we already have. Luckily after the end of year celebration it doesn't seem to be a front burner issue.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Right, its fine to have that opinion that you think perks like a practice facility are not necessary and is over the top pampering of the athletes, but then that means you also have to be ok with URI just being a LaSalle/St. Bonaventure/Duquesne level program. Because like it or not this is the direction college athletics is going, so you either do what you have to do to compete or you become happy to just be a flash in the pan and maybe make the tournament once every 10-15 years or whatever.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, Dan doesn't think it's necessary.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Well, Dan doesn't think it's necessary.
I don't think he would turn it down if the money was available. I guess you can take "not necessary" a number of different ways, but my hunch is that it is "not necessary" because funds are limited and there are other things that can be accomplished first/easier.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Certainly if it were offered he would jump all over it. He's not dumb, though - he understands the landscape. There are more immediate needs and considering our setup it is actually not "necessary."
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A practice facility is not a necessity at present. It will however make recruiting more difficult when competing against programs that have one. Dan understands that a practice facility is not something that is realistically going to soon happen at URI. He therefore knows it is something he cannot demand in the short term. If Rhody however wants to remain in the top tier of programs, it will eventually have to have one in order to compete. The long-term groundwork and planning should start now so that it happens at some future point.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

If URI can work the logistics better where the team has access to the arena 95%+ of the time, than URI has one of the nicest practice facilities in the country already. What they should do is fundraise to build better things around the Ryan Center to compete. ie weight room, locker room, rehab/training room, etc.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

In trying to find our new identity in 2017 college basketball, we have a number of considerations
.....I am more worried about the direction of the A10. Our conference will take a big hit if Dayton and VCU left. We haven't added any new members that would add some prestige. We also have lost a number of good coaches in the last ten years.......sorta like the '90's.
.....I think we will be no better than the #8 rpi conference next year. That can/will continue to translate into fewer NCAA at-large bids in the future.
.....So, do we become a Gonzaga?......If not, as a non - FBS football school, what conference would be interested? [there are none !]

,,,,,So, what does it take to be the A10 champ every year?
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I would completely agree. The strategic plan for the A-10 as a conference appears to be missing unless they are working diligently behind the scenes and we just don't know it. As bad as this year was for the A-10, next year looks even worse. Teams don't seem to be spending more on their programs and the conference refuses to drop teams just happy to be here to collect a small paycheck.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The league looking worse is what scares me with Dan.

Two great coaches just left, we lose a TON after next year, with a lot of question marks following that. We know it and Dan knows it.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The only scenario where the A10 could become a one bid league, is if Dayton and VCU leave and aren't replaced by quality programs.

I don't see that happening for a few years at least......and those 2 programs will be back in the dance soon enough...and you never know, one or both of them could still contend this coming season.

St. Louis is definitely a program on the rise....but a year or so away right now.....

Next season could be a 2 bid year....but I wouldn't bet on it.

15, I've mentioned that too....if we make the dance next March but don't get the future help we need....that possibility certainly exists.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh yeah. Film room along with some minor upgrades to locker room.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Didn't we just upgrade the locker rooms like 3 years ago?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I was referring to the comment that a practice facility is needed because a basketball player might have to wait a little while for a women's game to end to get in a workout. Tough shit. Schedule your workout around the women's game. I'm sure the players know when the RC will not be available. To me, that's not a good reason to build a practice facility. That's what I mean when I'm saying they have to be pampered.
I get what you are saying, but at the same time I think you are downplaying the impact of a shared venue. If there is a women's game, they don't just show up at 7PM, tip off, and vacate the floor by 9. There is facility set up, team warmups, and then facility cleanup. You're talking a 5-6 hour block. So Player X wants to go to the gym and workout and put some shots up, what can he do?

Now, I agree that it's really not a big deal, but you also have to remember that almost every player in D1 grew up in a culture where they believe in making money in basketball, so you can bet your ass when they go visit these schools with facilities it's a huge focus in getting them the most money possible. Private chef for your health, state of the art this and that, go shoot when you want extra work, not have to wait or rely on anyone else. It's definitely a huge selling point to a lot of kids.

So it's easy to say that giving kids extra availability isn't a reason to build a facility, but I think it's more about keeping up with everyone else and less about pampering student athletes. It's easy to say no ... "Screw chartered flights, kids used to sit coach all the time" or "Screw a practice facility, they can do things like the old days and wait their turn," but you know when they go to Kentucky or Kansas, it's not just about a chartered flight or a practice facility, there are basketball-residences, etc. If they are stage 5 of perks, you at least want to try to be stage 3-4 to be able to possibly get them to overlook all the extras. But unfortunately in today's culture, many kids are allured by the lights and glamour over the coaching and opportunity.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The other thing is I've heard time and again on this board players need to practice their free thrown until their hands bleed and so on. Then when the idea of a practice facility that they have access to 24/7 is brought up, those same players become pampered.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

URI doesn't have to beat Kansas or Kentucky for anyone. URI just has to consistently get a guy that can do things at an NCAA D1 level. They say that in the NBA draft, what CAN he do. The top picks are picked for potential and in the roles of star, all star, starter, bench/role player.

URI just has to identify a physical archetype(which it seems they have) and then find guys that can do something or a couple things at the A10 level. And if the player is someone that can do something early in their career on the A10 level like rebound or shoot or defend? Then they will be someone you want on your team when they are a junior or senior.

The reality of big time college athletics in basketball and football is that the budget and monetary disparities of schools aren't always reflected in the performance or talent level. Which is to say that there isn't much difference in a kid ranked 58 and a kid ranked 106. There are a thousand variables.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The other thing is I've heard time and again on this board players need to practice their free thrown until their hands bleed and so on. Then when the idea of a practice facility that they have access to 24/7 is brought up, those same players become pampered.
I might be wrong, butI think the rims in Keaney are still 10 feet high. You need a multi-million dollar facility to practice free throws? Thanks for strengthening my pampering argument.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Actually I think they're much higher than ten feet when the women's volleyball team is in there
1 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Six months and a few days to tip-off...

After the way our season closed out I can't wait for us to play again. I want us to win the A10 regular season and conference titles, return to the NCAA's and hopefully reach the Sweet 16. What a great season that would be!

And I want us to beat PC. Bad. Really bad. In front of a loud, raucous sold-out crowd that celebrates the win. It's been way too long since we beat them

I hope we all make it through this summer with our basketball sanity intact.
Last edited by reckless jake 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You want to beat PC more than you want us to win A10 championships and to reach the Sweet 16?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame wrote:URI doesn't have to beat Kansas or Kentucky for anyone. URI just has to consistently get a guy that can do things at an NCAA D1 level. They say that in the NBA draft, what CAN he do. The top picks are picked for potential and in the roles of star, all star, starter, bench/role player.

URI just has to identify a physical archetype(which it seems they have) and then find guys that can do something or a couple things at the A10 level. And if the player is someone that can do something early in their career on the A10 level like rebound or shoot or defend? Then they will be someone you want on your team when they are a junior or senior.

The reality of big time college athletics in basketball and football is that the budget and monetary disparities of schools aren't always reflected in the performance or talent level. Which is to say that there isn't much difference in a kid ranked 58 and a kid ranked 106. There are a thousand variables.
Well, you can argue trickle down effect. Would anyone being doing chartered flights and practice facilities if teams didn't start it first? So maybe there is not a general connection between URI and Kansas/Kentucky and who they recruit, but there could be if A10 programs are putting resources into practice facilities to better their situation. That's where URI would see the biggest impact.

Second, that might be true of the scenario you laid out, but not too long ago someone told me that players ranked 50 aren't much different than players ranked 150. So I looked at the cycle of players from 14-17 and 13-16, and noticed a few things. I pulled players 48-52 and players 148-152. 48-52 put 4 guys into the NBA, 148-152 0. 48-52 had 1 bust, but typically had guys who played smaller roles on better teams, versus 148-152 who had guys who maybe put up comparable or slightly better numbers but did them at smaller institutions in worse conferences. 148-152 also had 5 guys with no impact's at their respective schools, whereas 48-52 had just 1. So just pointing out the boom/bust potential of recruiting from certain areas of the recruiting board.

This is the raw data:

48 - Moses Kingsley 9-6-2 blocks
49 - Christian Wood 10-7-2 blocks (NBA)
50 - Deonte Burton 10-4-1
51 - Zach Lavine 9-3-2 assists (NBA)
52 - Anton Gill 2-1

148-Donte Clark 13-3-2 assists
149- Zach Coleman 3-3-1 assists
150- Jevon Thomas 3-2-3 assists
151-Junior Etou 8-2-1 assists
152-Torren Jones 6-5-1 steal

And the year before that ...

48 - Jerami Grant - 8-5-1 assist (NBA)
49 - Daniel Ochefu - 7-6-1 assist
50 - Justin Anderson - 9-3-2 assists (NBA)
51 - Josh Scott - 14-8-1 block
52 - Dominic Artis - 10-4-4 assists

148 - Houston Kessler - 1-2-1 block
149 - Brandon Channer - 1-0-0
150 - Malik Morgan - 8-4-2 assists
151 - Josh Fortney - N/A
152 - Travis Hammond - 7-3-1 assist
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:You want to beat -- more than you want us to win A10 championships and to reach the Sweet 16?
Why is this an either-or?

We need to keep winning NCAA games AND keep beating that hideous, disgusting institution that inhabits a former mental hospital. One is for national prestige, one is so that the flagship state university can be recognized as such.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The person I was responding to edited their post, but they originally phrased it like they'd rather beat PC than win championships and get to the second week of the tournament.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Without beating pc we will never get casual fans to the Ryan Center to get a consistent sell out situation....local fans wont believe we are good....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If people won't come to the Ryan Center for a team that makes the tournament annually because of one game a year in December, then they're not any level of URI fan
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Let's see what happens when we are a team that makes the tournament annually.....instead of once every 20 years or so.....until then beat pc....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'll tell you what, we had BETTER beat PC this year...we're at home....and the following year, until we know who's going to be on the team in terms of new talent, could be a really tall order.

PC looks to be really good for a while.....we aren't there yet.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I'll tell you what, we had BETTER beat PC this year...we're at home....and the following year, until we know who's going to be on the team in terms of new talent, could be a really tall order.

PC looks to be really good for a while.....we aren't there yet.
And if we don't, then what?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What happens is another opportunity lost....don't you care about the rivalry, which has become all too one sided over the last several years.

Of course it isn't a must win, but it's time for Dan to prove he can beat Cooley.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think people are too obsessed with one nonconference game in December. People are saying they'd rather win that than our conference and go to the sweet Sixteen.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, if they are, which I doubt, then they have a problem......beating PC would be nice, and to me it's important, but winning the conference and going to the dance are 100x more important overall.

Who in their right mind would have traded an NCAA berth for a win over PC last December?
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

They schedule around the PC game as a marquee game , both URI and PC. Obviously it counts for what it counts. But its annoying to the fanbase to downplay the PC game.

** I also have not seen anyone say they would trade post season success for a PC win.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Winning the PC game would help attendance at the RC after that....everyone knows that.

So to those fans, winning that game is important...and also to the bean counters at URI.

Could help boost the average attendance close to 6000 this coming season perhaps?
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I would gladly trade a win against pc for a trip to the tournament every year....
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

What I'm tired of are the people that think the PC game is our Super Bowl. It's not even close. Is it an important game in December? Sure, but it's the be all end all game that some would have you believe it is. In the past beating Temple, Xavier, and UMass were more important. Now, it's VCU and Dayton. Would I like to beat them every year, sure, but that's only to shut up the haters. And of course, right now it's a good rpi win. Other than that, it may or may not be our most important Dec game, but I can tell you that win or lose, I'm over it by the time the next game on the schedule comes along.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:If people won't come to the Ryan Center for a team that makes the tournament annually because of one game a year in December, then they're not any level of URI fan
We still want their money. Not all the 10,000+ fans in the Dunk are knowledgeable. But PC takes their ticket revenue anyway.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When discussing the importance of the PC game, it's easy to distinguish the older fans and the younger fans. Obviously it's not as important as winning the A10 or going to the Dance. But it is important for so many reasons.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Could not disagree more ,Say a guy like EC has an outside chance to make it to the next level will want to put in all the time he can. I know if it was me I would not want to look back thinking I could have done more to give myself any chance I could. 98% or more of the players being recruited to division one schools probably come in thinking they want to go to the league. Even though less then 10 percent make it they all have the mentality of going to a place that gives you the best chance at that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to get that PC win next year if nothing more than to get the monkey off DH back
0 x