2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:Using ESPN as a barometer for anything that isn't Lebron instagram posts is dumb.

Joe Lunardi has the 40th ranked bracketology report on Bracket Matrix.
Yes this, there is literally no reason to even check Lunardi's bracket anymore these days.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think our ceiling is a 6 seed if all goes well.....the poor level of the A10 this year hurts us....

....I think the A10 will be appreciably better next year but we will have a dropoff due to our senior losses this year....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramulous wrote:I think our ceiling is a 6 seed if all goes well.....the poor level of the A10 this year hurts us....

....I think the A10 will be appreciably better next year but we will have a dropoff due to our senior losses this year....
I agree that the ceiling may be lower than 4... but running the table should have us at 5.

Either way it’s a long way til then.

We were 17-3 at this point once before too. Obviously a very different situation and team (and schedule and wins), but predicting a bracket in January is almost the same as predicting it in November.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:. The point is that brackets at this point are meaningless. You can pick from so many different brackets and most of these guys aren’t looking at the detail games of all the teams from week to week.
I don't understand why more people don't use bracket matrix... What's better, one person's meaningless bracket, or a consensus of all of the meaningless brackets? At least with a consensus you can see the average which I do believe is likely closer to the truth. Bracket Matrix currently has URI as the 2nd highest 6 seed, which I do feel is a fair barometer. I think that's likely more realistic than the people who have URI as a current 4 seed or the people who have URI as an 8/9 seed. At a minimum, use the Top 10 "bracketologists" over an extended period of time: Bracketville, Stewart Mandel (Fox), SyracuseFan7, Jon Teitel (HoopsHD), Jabesblog, One Man Selection Committee, Warren Nolan, Wild Bill, Andy Bottom's (Assembly Call), and The Left Bench.
If there was a bracketmatrix for the top 10 guys, I'd use it. Unfortunately the way it's set up, any guy with a blog can add their bracket. Garbage in, garbage out. Bracketville has been more accurate than bracketmatrix each of the last four seasons, so I'm comfortable using them like I have
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree about bracket matrix that is the one we should focus on not that boob Lunardi
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The Athletic has us as a 7 seed in Nashville playing NC State:

https://theathletic.com/215684/2018/01/ ... rall-seed/
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we win out and win our conference tournament we would be 29-3 with probably a top five RPI.

I can imagine us getting a seed as high as 2 in that scenario.
If we are at about 6 right now, winning 11 more games without losing any, while other teams ahead of us now lose we could get that high. Especially because we played one of the thoughest OOC schedules mostly without EC and Cyril and did well.
Not sure how much we would be punished for how weak te A-10 is, but it would have to at least be a 4 if we win out I think. We would definitely deserve a 3 I think.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Whatever we think we deserve it will probably be a line or 2 lower than we deserve

The committee always screws URI and the A10
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote:If we win out and win our conference tournament we would be 29-3 with probably a top five RPI.

I can imagine us getting a seed as high as 2 in that scenario.
If we are at about 6 right now, winning 11 more games without losing any, while other teams ahead of us now lose we could get that high. Especially because we played one of the thoughest OOC schedules mostly without EC and Cyril and did well.
Not sure how much we would be punished for how weak te A-10 is, but it would have to at least be a 4 if we win out I think. We would definitely deserve a 3 I think.
Think quadrants. A team with 2, maybe 3 Q1 wins is not getting a 2 seed.

4 seed is our stars aligned ceiling, 5 is our realistic ceiling if we run the table from here through March 11th.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So long as we avoid the 8-9 I'm cool with it.

It'll be interesting to see how differently they select teams according to this new quadrant system.
In the past they were so inconsistent with how they seeded and selected.
There would be teams with good wins but a mostly terrible sos that would get put behind teams who had less quality wins but a tougher schedule.
That's why I feel like we have a chance to get a higher seed than most are thinking possible.
We may not have as great a wins but we have the SOS o back us up. Also, FGCU, Iona and charleston could all make the dance and so that would make us 5-3 against the field.

Soo uhh meanwhile let's keep whooping Atlantic 10 assss
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I would like to avoid 7-10...they are essentially the same...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:
Think quadrants. A team with 2, maybe 3 Q1 wins is not getting a 2 seed.

4 seed is our stars aligned ceiling, 5 is our realistic ceiling if we run the table from here through March 11th.
I think that is a realistic sentiment. At this time yesterday, I thought URI might have a chance at a 3, but the more I thought about it, the harder I realized I think that would be ... While URI could run the table and have a stellar resume, I think that ultimately there is just not enough firepower in in "big" wins to promote a top 3 seed. So I've done some digging into the "worst" 3 seeds via KenPom in the last 10 years, and the closest comp was New Mexico in 2010, who is probably the most interesting case because they had a season-ending KenPom of 43! (URI is currently as 34).

However, one thing they had in their favor was conference strength. The conference had 9 teams, played double-round robin, and put 4 teams in the tournament. That New Mexico team was 4-0 in KenPom Top 25 games, which included a road win and a semi-road win, and 6-4 overall against the Top 50, which included 1 additional road win. Mixed in was one "bad" loss, rolling to a 29-4 record entering the tournament. RPI wise, they finished with an RPI of 10, were 5-2 against the RPI Top 25, still 6-4 against the RPI Top 50 (Q1), and 11-4 against the RPI Top 100 (Q1+Q2).

Now if you compare the "strength" to URI, URI is currently 0-2 in KenPom Top 25 games and 1-2 overall against the KenPom Top 50. If you go with Q1 metrics (which are the new Top 50), URI is currently 1-3... Could get to 3-3 if they play St. Bonaventure in the A10T and St. B's keeps their Top 50 rating. I think that will make it hard to jump above power teams who might lose more than a few games along the way, but always have the chance at bounce back games. URI definitely caught the short straw having arguably one of the best seasons in program history, but not getting that respect because of the conference draw.

I would think a 4 is definitely a realistic possibility, assuming maybe 1 loss along the way in one of the tougher road games. I don't think they need to be perfect to get a 4 seed.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

We will no higher than a 6
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

if the quadrant system is significant in seeding, I would think URI fans that want the Rams to have the highest seed possible would be rooting for the Friars tonight over SH. Seton Hall is securely a quadrant 1 win whether they win or lose tonight as that was a neutral site game. They could fall from 19 to 50 and still be quadrant 1. PC with a 37 rpi is currently a quadrant 2 win. If they move up seven spots they move up to Q1.
6 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

81AE1BEF-8C55-4580-A577-E66AF9B91890.png
1 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I would be SHOCKED if URI was in the mix here, but of note:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 11-on-cbs/
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I would be SHOCKED if URI was in the mix here, but of note:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 11-on-cbs/
if we keep the W train going till then, could get interesting
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Just keep winning, then watch the committee try to explain why they screwed over a deserving non-cartel team. (Of course, 1-percenter Jay Bilas never had a problem with it.)
Last edited by Rhode_Island_Red 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Whether Rhody gets 'screwed' or not on the 2/11 reveal...it's totally awesome that it's even a discussable point...
Insert thumbs up emoji here -->______
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Whether Rhody gets 'screwed' or not on the 2/11 reveal...it's totally awesome that it's even a discussable point...
Insert thumbs up emoji here -->______
Yup, that's my thinking as well. I'll be watching to see if URI gets a mention as a potential team "on the bubble" of cracking the Top 16.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Anything better than an 8 seed is good. We would be favored in the first round and have a chance in the second round.
A 6 seed could make a second round win more doable.

I think Rhody will go 16-2 and win the A10 tournament.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Today's bracket:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... on-xavier/

We're a 5 seed taking on Loyola-Chicago in Dallas

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is a 7 taking on Providence
Alabama is a 9
UNC-Asheville and Florida Gulf Coast are 16 seeds. FGC is in a play in game
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

That is a lot of dancing teams right there.

Crazy when you think no A10 teams on there.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BubbleWatch is back @ The Athletic

Rhody earns a "Should Be In".

Rhode Island (18-3, 10-0 – RPI: 8, SOS: 42): When was the last time Clemson, Auburn and Rhode Island had top-10 RPIs at the same time? Probably never, right? It has to be never. Anyway, the Rams are running roughshod over the A10, which is bad this year. But, hey, credit where due.

Here are the definitions:
  • A lock is a lock. If there's a non-zero chance that a team could miss out on the tournament, no matter how unlikely, we'd rather play it safe than undo a lock. (Perish the thought.)
  • “Should be in” is pretty self-explanatory, but it gets more literal the closer we get to Selection Sunday. “Work to do” means everything is up for grabs.
  • We try to think like the committee. Traditional RPI-centered resumes aren't our first analytical choice in any other setting, but until we're sure the committee has ditched them entirely – and hey, maybe next year? – that's where the focus lies.
  • Won-loss records are current through Thursday's games. All RPI and strength of schedule numbers are accurate through Wednesday.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Kansas with an unexpected home loss to Oklahoma State drops in the RPI rankings. As a result, URI moves up to the #8 RPI ranking. Rhody is currently sandwiched between Purdue-Duke and Kansas-North Carolina. Not bad company.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Did Duke drop after losing to SJU?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

DC_Rams wrote:Did Duke drop after losing to SJU?
Yes, I think they were 2 before loss to the johnies, now 7 right in front of us
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Somehow I like Nevada’s win over URI as resume-enhancing.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Dickie V went on a nice pro-URI rant during the Alabama / Florida game today, talking about how that was one of Bama's best wins.
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not sure what the driver of this is, but in the “in game” RPI on rpiforecast dot com, URI has passed Auburn and is now #5. Auburn is beating Vandy by 10 at halftime so not sure how that could change before tomorrow. But stil, pretty wild.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

nevada is playing and winning helping us out
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Iona , Bama, st Bonnie’s , amongst others are all winning this weekend.
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I understand overall why our RPI improved over the weekend - our OOC opponents had a terrific weekend. My point was I don't understand what was causing us to briefly show as passing Auburn in the in-game RPI. And I still don't - the Auburn and Nevada games were among the very few games in progress at the time, and both of those results held from where they were at the time - and when the games ended we ended up back at 6. Not sure it matters but just found it curious.

Anyways, this has become one of my favorite things to look at - espn.com's resume ranker, which now has us a 4 seed.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... iew/resume
3 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Just keep winning, then watch the committee try to explain why they screwed over a deserving non-cartel team. (Of course, 1-percenter Jay Bilas never had a problem with it.)
99% of the time I would agree with you on this statement but this year the committee is made up of mostly non P5 members so if you do get screwed shame on them .

Meet the Committee

Bruce Rasmussen
Committee chair and director of athletics at Creighton University
Bruce began service on the committee on September 1, 2013 and will serve as chair of the committee for 2017-18.

Other Committee Members Include:
Bernard Muir, vice chair of committee and director of athletics, Stanford University
Mitch S. Barnhart, director of athletics, University of Kentucky
Tom Burnett, commissioner, Southland Conference
Janet Cone, director of athletics, University of North Carolina at Asheville
Tom Holmoe, director of athletics, Brigham Young University
Jim Phillips, vice president for rthletics & recreation, Northwestern University
Jim Schaus, director of athletics, Ohio University
Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference
Kevin White, director of athletics, Duke University
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Now up to #6 in the NCAA RPI. Clearly unchartered territory.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Have to think having the UNC-A AD on the committee won't hurt. Chances are she has followed our season more than some of the others.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I like saving the RPI for posterity. URI, in the first week of February with 3/4 of the season in the books, has an RPI ranking of #6. Its OOC SOS moved up to #2 yesterday with its non conference opponents (11) recording a perfect 9-0.
Screenshot-2018-2-4 Live-RPI com.png
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

RF1 wrote:I like saving the RPI for posterity. URI, in the first week of February with 3/4 of the season in the books, has an RPI ranking of #6. Its OOC SOS moved up to #2 yesterday with its non conference opponents (11) recording a perfect 9-0.

Screenshot-2018-2-4 Live-RPI com.png
I wonder if there would be any movement if Seton Hall is able to knock off Nova today....
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Sweet 16 would be nice!

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wait, do we hate Joey or love him?
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Wait, do we hate Joey or love him?
Yes!
7 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

We've moved into the 5 line on Bracket Matrix.
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

CBS has us as a 4 seed in the East
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love bracket matrix !!!
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

6 seed on ESPN
1 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think it has been hate for over 10 years. I think based off him having us out or low every time we were on the bubble and those last few spots are so political.

But if he wants to get on the bus :)
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Well, we're up to #18. If we end up around #12, we have to at least get a 4 seed, don't we?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not sure about that.....our RPI is great, but the committee looks more at BPI and to a lesser degree Pomeroy and Sagarin.....and of course the new metrics of the quadrant system, which unfortunately for us doesn't give us the opportunities to win very many Q1 games....

If we run the table we've got a shot at a 4.....any loss at all, or 2 losses and a 5 or 6 is more likely....with a 6 as my guess.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Not sure about that.....our RPI is great, but the committee looks more at BPI and to a lesser degree Pomeroy and Sagarin.....and of course the new metrics of the quadrant system, which unfortunately for us doesn't give us the opportunities to win very many Q1 games....

If we run the table we've got a shot at a 4.....any loss at all, or 2 losses and a 5 or 6 is more likely....with a 6 as my guess.
Yes, I was basing that on running the table and going 26-3.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Not sure about that.....our RPI is great, but the committee looks more at BPI and to a lesser degree Pomeroy and Sagarin.....and of course the new metrics of the quadrant system, which unfortunately for us doesn't give us the opportunities to win very many Q1 games....

The odds according to RPI Forecast are 11% that we win our 7 remaining games and finish 26-3
This is up from what has been around 6% the past several weeks
26-3 gives an RPI of 4.9 so the 5th best team in the US
25-4 gives RPI of 7.1 and a 30.7% chance of that
24-5 gives RPI of 10.2 and a 34.5% chance of that

Last 4 weeks we have moved up an average of 3 places in AP Top 25 - still 4 more voting weeks to go and continue to move up in AP if we keep winning. Voters will see URI and their high RPI and continue to adjust their votes higher just as they have been doing each week.

So one could argue that if we win out we are a 2nd round seed candidate based on an RPI of 4.9. You probably won't win but could certainly argue it and quite strongly too. 3rd round would be more likely as winning 7 straight could move us into the Top 10 from the current 18.
Expected RPI on February 5.png
0 x