2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ha vs Murray State.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...at Feb 23, 2018, 9:34 AM EST, they are a 6 seed in Pittsburgh

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... ina-climb/

and, at UPDATED Feb 23, 7:23am, they're a 4 seed?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

At least it's not an exact science or anything like that?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So...at Feb 23, 2018, 9:34 AM EST, they are a 6 seed in Pittsburgh

So...can we take the 4 seed, only in Pittsburgh, 'steada Boise?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He has the Bonnies solidly in the field as well. I would love to see that bracket.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So...at Feb 23, 2018, 9:34 AM EST, they are a 6 seed in Pittsburgh

The guy that does the NBC one has been the most accurate over the last several years including over the bracketmatrix.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the bracket matrix also cuz it polls a bunch of different bracketologists
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Had a random thought - sorry if this was posted somewhere else - but does the FBI scandal improve our seed in the tourney? Not for the obvious reason that better teams would be ineligible, but would the committee comparing Rhody to a 3/4 seed team that may be dirty give Rhody the seed advantage in hopes that the clean program would advance. The worst thing possible would be to have to vacate another NCAA tournament, maybe they let them all play but give the clean programs a seeding break they normally wouldn’t to increase the chances a clean team will win. Just a thought / hope / wishful thinking.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Nice wins by the Hall and PC. Don't need their stock going down, which in turn would weaken our resume slightly.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Following up on my own thought - where it wil definitely give us an advantage is our coach, staff, players etc are 100% focused on basketball. Those other programs are worrying about a lot of other things right now, where we can just focus on winning.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

can anyone give a simple explanation as to how bracketology works? how does Lunardi (i know everyone hates him) have RI a 5 seed, but sent west while he has PC a 10 seed and they get to stay east and 45 minutes from the arena that hosts the sweet 16? I haven't researched, but I'm guessing others have it the same way? Jerry Palm has us a 4 seed staying east.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Listening to college basketball pundits today there is a school of thought that coaches and players mentioned in the scandal will sit out games down the stretch....and may have to forfeit games played this year already with ineligible players....

...and they thought it could affect who gets an at-large and what seedings all teams get....

.....I hope there are no stains on our collective Rhody jacket.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:can anyone give a simple explanation as to how bracketology works? how does Lunardi (i know everyone hates him) have RI a 5 seed, but sent west while he has PC a 10 seed and they get to stay east and 45 minutes from the arena that hosts the sweet 16? I haven't researched, but I'm guessing others have it the same way? Jerry Palm has us a 4 seed staying east.
They give the 1s and 2s preferential locations. The 8/9 7/10 teams have to be paired with them. That fills up a lot of the spots in the locations close to home. This is why almost all of the "pundits" are predicting us to go to Boise or San Diego.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Once the committee selects the seed list (1-68), I am assuming the the bracket is filled. Then there are amendments to fix problems such as teams from the same conference and selection of location which causes the bracket to change from the initial seed list. My question is who makes these amendments? Is it the chair? Is it the committee voting on each amendment? Is it the Vice President of operations? This is where the shady stuff occurs in my opinion.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's not shady at all

there are rules the bracket has to follow like the top 2 seed and top 1 seed can't be in the same bracket, top 4 seeds in each region need to be balanced (ie the seed line seeds all need to be about even), can't have a rematch in the first round unless a team comes from the first 4, etc. This usually just means that team teams on the seed list switch or the change 2 teams in the bracket but the true seeds remain the same
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

My question is who makes the amendments?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the entire committee, no gray area really its a predetermined set of rules
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

The principles are clear, although you can make an argument that some principles “must” be followed whereas others “should” be followed. Once a principle is violated, an amendment needs to be made. From there, there are no clear rules. There are several avenues that could be taken to remedy the violation. This is the gray area where I’m curious who makes the decisions.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I definitely would rather play a 13 seed than a 12 like middle tennessee state. 12 seeds beat 5 seeds because they are usually underseeded. Teams like va tech, one and done get too much credit...the cartel
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:The principles are clear, although you can make an argument that some principles “must” be followed whereas others “should” be followed. Once a principle is violated, an amendment needs to be made. From there, there are no clear rules. There are several avenues that could be taken to remedy the violation. This is the gray area where I’m curious who makes the decisions.
The full committee completes and approves the bracket in detail. They spend as much time on this Saturday and Sunday as they do on who gets in and where the teams are seeded.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The location of the first round games isn’t important. Rhody getting the best possible seed is paramount. That’s much more important than where we can get more fans.

The higher we are the more likely we will have 2nd weekend games.

I’d rather miss the first round games to watch on TV so I can go to Boston, Atlanta, or Omaha the next week.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote:
URI2006_Andy wrote:The principles are clear, although you can make an argument that some principles “must” be followed whereas others “should” be followed. Once a principle is violated, an amendment needs to be made. From there, there are no clear rules. There are several avenues that could be taken to remedy the violation. This is the gray area where I’m curious who makes the decisions.
The full committee completes and approves the bracket in detail. They spend as much time on this Saturday and Sunday as they do on who gets in and where the teams are seeded.
Fair enough but the fact the committee spends so much time on remedying bracket principle violations proves this is a gray area. If it were mathematical, you wouldn’t need the committee to bracket. You would just need them to finalize the true seed list (1-68) and a mathematical formula that factors in all the principles would spit out the bracket.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They do seed narratives. The more uri, pc, and bobby Hurley succeed year in and year out, the more I expect to see them grouped closer together.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jerry Palm is now updating his bracket daily, with the most recent from last night after 11pm:

He has URI as a 4 out west playing Buffalo, with the winner likely facing Arizona. Those games are in San Diego.

He has SBU clearly in as an 11 seed (not in a First Four match up) facing Michigan with the winner likely facing Cincinnati.

Also, Providence as a 11 in the East facing TCU with the winner likely facing Tennessee. What I don't find viable in this part of the bracket is, Creighton is a 7 seed in this region and Nova is the 1. So Big East teams could face each other in both the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 in the region. I know there'll be more than 4 Big East teams so it's not possible to have only one team per region, but there should not be more than two in any region. They need to try to (where possible) limit it so you can't face a team in your own conference until at least the Elite 8, and then only if your conference has more than 4 teams. If you have more than 8 teams, then and only then should you face a team in your conference prior to the sweet 16.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The latest from Bracketville:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... n-midwest/

We're a 6 seed in Pittsburgh taking on Middle Tennessee

St. Bonaventure is an 11 seed and has the last bye

Virginia is the overall number 1
Nevada is a 7
Seton Hall and Alabama are 8's
Providence is a 10 and has the 4th to last bye
Charleston is a 14
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Florida Gulf Coast is a 16
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:Jerry Palm is now updating his bracket daily, with the most recent from last night after 11pm:

He has URI as a 4 out west playing Buffalo, with the winner likely facing Arizona. Those games are in San Diego.

He has SBU clearly in as an 11 seed (not in a First Four match up) facing Michigan with the winner likely facing Cincinnati.

Also, Providence as a 6 in the East facing TCU with the winner likely facing Tennessee. What I don't find viable in this part of the bracket is, Creighton is a 7 seed in this region and Nova is the 1. So Big East teams could face each other in both the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 in the region. I know there'll be more than 4 Big East teams so it's not possible to have only one team per region, but there should not be more than two in any region. They need to try to (where possible) limit it so you can't face a team in your own conference until at least the Elite 8, and then only if your conference has more than 4 teams. If you have more than 8 teams, then and only then should you face a team in your conference prior to the sweet 16.
According to bracketmatrix' rankings, Jerry Palm is 82nd out of 113 people that do these. For comparison, we scoff at Lunardi's accuracy and he's 40th
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The latest from Bracketville:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... n-midwest/

We're a 6 seed in Pittsburgh taking on Middle Tennessee

St. Bonaventure is an 11 seed and has the last bye

Virginia is the overall number 1
Nevada is a 7
Seton Hall and Alabama are 8's
Providence is a 10 and has the 4th to last bye
Charleston is a 14
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Florida Gulf Coast is a 16
Pittsburgh - good. 6 seed...eh.....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

...although....most important thing is the path to Sweet 16...and maybe that's not too bad...?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Middle Tenn will probably be a tough 11 seed, winner most likely gets 3 seed Cinci? Ouch.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:...although....most important thing is the path to Sweet 16...and maybe that's not too bad...?
I agree that it's not too bad. Middle Tennessee and most likely Cincinnati in Pittsburgh for the chance to get to Boston doesn't seem like the most impossible scenario. Maybe it's because we beat Cincinnati last year, but I would definitely sign up for that.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As would I.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Much better than Lunardi's latest bracketology....which has us as a 5 seed, potentially facing USC in San Diego (not ideal) and then West Virginia.
In comparison Middle Tennessee and Cincy is a walk in the park. All about matchups come March.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Capture.JPG
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/02/24/ ... id-majors/

Team full of super heroes.
This is pretty nice...
"While tournament success is largely a product of matchups, these Rams absolutely have the talent, depth, and leadership to reach the Final Four. "
1 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

steviep123 wrote:Jerry Palm is now updating his bracket daily, with the most recent from last night after 11pm:

Also, Providence as a 6 in the East facing TCU with the winner likely facing Tennessee. What I don't find viable in this part of the bracket is, Creighton is a 7 seed in this region and Nova is the 1. So Big East teams could face each other in both the Sweet 16 and the Elite 8 in the region. I know there'll be more than 4 Big East teams so it's not possible to have only one team per region, but there should not be more than two in any region. They need to try to (where possible) limit it so you can't face a team in your own conference until at least the Elite 8, and then only if your conference has more than 4 teams. If you have more than 8 teams, then and only then should you face a team in your conference prior to the sweet 16.
I can't begin to fathom PC as a 6. Does he have them winning the BE tourney already, lol. Even then I could not see them that highly seeded....
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Palm has Providence as an 11, not a 6. He has TCU as a 6.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote:The location of the first round games isn’t important. Rhody getting the best possible seed is paramount. That’s much more important than where we can get more fans.

The higher we are the more likely we will have 2nd weekend games.

I’d rather miss the first round games to watch on TV so I can go to Boston, Atlanta, or Omaha the next week.

Blue Man I get that the site of the 1st round games isn't important. It's the region that's important. And now Lunardi has us as a 5 seed in the south (first games in SD) and PC as an 11 in the east (first games in Dallas). But in this scenario PC then comes to Boston and we go to wherever the south region is. Atlanta? Wonder if that would change if we were a 4 seed?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we’re a 5, there seems to be chance we get matched up with a bubble P5 team, which would not be ideal.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Wonder if that would change if we were a 4 seed?
It all depends on the seed lines ...

I.E - If the 4 seeds in order go Wichita St., Clemson, West Virginia, URI, URI is getting the last available option, the saving grace potentially being other bracket conflicts eliminating teams from being in certain regions (I.E - West Virginia would have to be in a separate region than Kansas and Texas Tech, Clemson would have to be in a separate region than Virginia, and Wichita St would have to be in a separate region from Cincinnati).
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

We win out (thru tourney) and we're a 4 seed - outside chance of a 3 if a few others falter. 1 lose and we're probably a 5 - maybe still a 4 if those other 4's falter. 2 loses (Davidson and tourney finals - can't see them losing to anyone but maybe Bonnies on a neutral court) and we might end up a 6...... I think we win out and are a 4 seed (#14).
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

scine20 wrote:Palm has Providence as an 11, not a 6. He has TCU as a 6.
Sorry, my bad.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Much better than Lunardi's latest bracketology....which has us as a 5 seed, potentially facing USC in San Diego (not ideal) and then West Virginia.
In comparison Middle Tennessee and Cincy is a walk in the park. All about matchups come March.
I bet Cinci would beat WV. Cinci is really good. Rather not play them again. WV dropped like 6 in a row.

Would be funny if some how we played them in Boston with Mick Cronin complaining the last time we played that it was basically a home game for us.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Rhody15 wrote:If we’re a 5, there seems to be chance we get matched up with a bubble P5 team, which would not be ideal.
I disagree. I'd love to get an overrated, middling power conference team like Cuse or Louisville and beat the shit out of them.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
Wonder if that would change if we were a 4 seed?
It all depends on the seed lines ...

I.E - If the 4 seeds in order go Wichita St., Clemson, West Virginia, URI, URI is getting the last available option, the saving grace potentially being other bracket conflicts eliminating teams from being in certain regions (I.E - West Virginia would have to be in a separate region than Kansas and Texas Tech, Clemson would have to be in a separate region than Virginia, and Wichita St would have to be in a separate region from Cincinnati).

makes sense...so based on this logic, we may prefer to be the 1st team on a higher seed line than the last on a lower seed line? I need some advil. :)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote:If we’re a 5, there seems to be chance we get matched up with a bubble P5 team, which would not be ideal.
We shouldn't be afraid of anyone not named Duke, Purdue, or Virginia.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
We shouldn't be afraid of anyone not named Duke, Purdue, or Virginia.

I for one would not like to play a team like Texas, with Mo Bamba and their other big man.

Now obviously our guards are our Strength, but we all saw what BJ Johnson did to us.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Mo Bamba and Ostenkowski are verrrry good. We haven't played anyone like them.
Don't know how it would go.
We just do horribly against the slashing bigs. Don't know how we'd fair against a team with two giants like that.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I woukd like to avoid Cinci or WV in the second round

If X IS a 1 seed put us in their bracket
0 x