2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by Ramulous »

Uncle Conrad and Aunt Ginny would be quite happy with a 5 seed.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are quite plainly putting zee old cart before da horse.

One loss with this crappy A10 and we can forget a 5 seed, and quite possibly no ranking the rest of the way.

I would be happy with a 6 or 7 seed....that means maybe 2 losses the rest of the way....not to mention the A10 tourney.

It's great talking about this stuff though....but we have to bring our best every night from here on out, especially on the road....no more C or C+ efforts like last night please.

Next week will be telling....get to 11-0 and now we're talking the possibility of 18-0.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rambone...what's this 'loss' talk? Losses are "right out!"...just like the number "5" from this clip from one of the greatest movies of all time...

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Watching the Michigan-Purdue game and it's a great one. But there is no way I want to see Haas from Purdue this year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Isn't that the 7 foot 2 kid ?? Would we have an answer for him ??
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Today's updated bracket:

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

We're a 5 seed in Boise taking on Buffalo

6 seed Seton Hall takes on 11 seed Alabama, who has the 2nd to last bye
Virginia is a 1 seed
Nevada is an 8
Providence is a 9
Florida Gulf Coast is a 16 and is in the play in game
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

One thing I've seen a lot of in the past is there seems to be a lot of Mid-Major vs. Mid-Major type games. I can see a scenario where if given a 5 or 6 seed we face a top mid major conference winner (like a Buffalo) compared to a last 8 in "major"
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

CBS has uri as an 8 again dropping 5 spots from 24 to 29, due to Miami/TCU wins and Nevada loss, even though we won twice on the road by double digits. Just doesn't seem right.
0 x
GO RAMS
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Section104 wrote:One thing I've seen a lot of in the past is there seems to be a lot of Mid-Major vs. Mid-Major type games. I can see a scenario where if given a 5 or 6 seed we face a top mid major conference winner (like a Buffalo) compared to a last 8 in "major"
I agree and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the best non-BCS schools get matched up against each other in the round of 64. I don’t think Buffalo fits that category though. They like to match up teams capable of going to the second weekend to increase the odds there’s only one or two “Cinderellas” rather than 4 or 5. I can see us as a 7 matched up with Gonzaga or St Mary’s (whoever doesn’t win the WCC getting a 10).
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah. Definitely lots of those mid vs mid first round battles to further reduce non Power 6 participants from the tournament.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05 wrote:CBS has uri as an 8 again dropping 5 spots from 24 to 29, due to Miami/TCU wins and Nevada loss, even though we won twice on the road by double digits. Just doesn't seem right.
Jerry Palm is consistently ranked as one of the worst bracketologists out there, fwiw.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think a lot of it is misunderstood -- Example, last year St. Mary's faced VCU in the 7/10 game ... St. Mary's was the strongest 7 and VCU was the weakest 10. Was it intentionally done to make two "mid-majors" pair off, or is that what made sense from geographic/strength standpoint? In 2016, Dayton was a 7 seed and played 10 seeded Syracuse when Dayton could have been paired with Temple. In 2015, Davidson was a 10 seed paired against Iowa, when they could have played Wichita St (who played Indiana). In 2014, VCU was a 5 seed and played Stephen F Austin, but the only P5 12 seed was NC St who played St. Louis. That gave Cincy Harvard and Oklahoma North Dakota St. Gonzaga drew Oklahoma St. in an 8/9 game, when they could have been handed 9-seeded GW. I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it seem.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think a lot of it is misunderstood -- Example, last year St. Mary's faced VCU in the 7/10 game ... St. Mary's was the strongest 7 and VCU was the weakest 10. Was it intentionally done to make two "mid-majors" pair off, or is that what made sense from geographic/strength standpoint? In 2016, Dayton was a 7 seed and played 10 seeded Syracuse when Dayton could have been paired with Temple. In 2015, Davidson was a 10 seed paired against Iowa, when they could have played Wichita St (who played Indiana). In 2014, VCU was a 5 seed and played Stephen F Austin, but the only P5 12 seed was NC St who played St. Louis. That gave Cincy Harvard and Oklahoma North Dakota St. Gonzaga drew Oklahoma St. in an 8/9 game, when they could have been handed 9-seeded GW. I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it seem.
In the same year VCU drew St Marys and Dayton drew Wichita State.

Thats why it comes off like BS
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

It’s not every matchup. It’s the 1-3 non BCS teams who are grossly underseeded (Kenpom top 30) that have a real chance to make a run. Those teams never seem to play a B10 or ACC school.

Last year Wichita State (top 10 kenpom) gets a 10 seed. Who do they play? The best team from the A-10. And even if you go by overall seed line, Dayton should’ve played Oklahoma State and Wichita should’ve played Michigan.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodysurf wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think a lot of it is misunderstood -- Example, last year St. Mary's faced VCU in the 7/10 game ... St. Mary's was the strongest 7 and VCU was the weakest 10. Was it intentionally done to make two "mid-majors" pair off, or is that what made sense from geographic/strength standpoint? In 2016, Dayton was a 7 seed and played 10 seeded Syracuse when Dayton could have been paired with Temple. In 2015, Davidson was a 10 seed paired against Iowa, when they could have played Wichita St (who played Indiana). In 2014, VCU was a 5 seed and played Stephen F Austin, but the only P5 12 seed was NC St who played St. Louis. That gave Cincy Harvard and Oklahoma North Dakota St. Gonzaga drew Oklahoma St. in an 8/9 game, when they could have been handed 9-seeded GW. I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it seem.
In the same year VCU drew St Marys and Dayton drew Wichita State.

Thats why it comes off like BS
The 7 seeds last year with St. Mary's, South Carolina, Michigan, and Dayton. Because of their two seed counterparts, they were locked into Greenville, , Salt Lake City, and Indy x2. St. Mary's as the Top 7 seed got geographic preference, Salt Lake City. South Carolina, that made sense for Greenville, and Michigan and Dayton drew the Indy bracket.

The 10 seeds in order were Oklahoma St., Wichita St., Marquette, and VCU. VCU as the weakest 10 seed went out west. Marquette as the 2nd weakest was sent to Greenville. That sent Oklahoma St (top 10 seed) and Wichita St (2nd best 10 seed) to Indy. Since they try to avoid conference opponents meeting until the regional final, that created a problem. 7 seeded Michigan could not just swap with 7 seeded Dayton as they would have placed Dayton with a chance at URI in the Sweet 16, and swapping Wichita St and Oklahoma St would have given Ok St. the chance of meeting Kansas St. in the Sweet 16.

The bracket is far more complex then people make it sound, these issues begin to happen all over the bracket ... Why would the committee rework the ENTIRE bracket just to try to avoid having Dayton not play Wichita St, etc.?
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Dayton and Michigan would have stayed in the same quadrants as they were put in so there is no creation of an A-10 conflict. Wichita would play Michigan and Dayton would play Oklahoma State which were the proper first round seeding matchups with no conference conflicts. Not that complex. You made it complex by factoring in locations which the committee doesn’t do for 7 seeds. Only the top 4 seeds if they can. Plus Dayton and Michigan were both in indy first round so location didn’t matter.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

URI2006_Andy wrote:Dayton and Michigan would have stayed in the same quadrants as they were put in so there is no creation of an A-10 conflict. Wichita would play Michigan and Dayton would play Oklahoma State which were the proper first round seeding matchups with no conference conflicts. Not that complex. You made it complex by factoring in locations which the committee doesn’t do for 7 seeds. Only the top 4 seeds if they can. Plus Dayton and Michigan were both in indy first round so location didn’t matter.
Geographics matter for everyone. But obviously after you clear the top 4 seeds, the remaining teams are at the mercy of their matchup (I.E. - Seed 5 can only play at the locations of Seed 4, Seed 6 can only play at the location of Seed 3, etc.). But if URI is the Top 7 seed, they aren't going to take them and send them to San Diego because that's their "matchup." They are going to place them in the most eastern bracket that doesn't feature conference conflicts. Now obviously if all the 2 seeds are playing in Boise or San Diego, the 7 seed doesn't have any say and they'll be playing in Boise or San Diego.

Further, I don't know what you are saying about no conference conflicts ... The only way you can play a team in the Sweet 16 from your conference is if your conference puts in so many teams that it's just impossible to avoid. Therefore, Oklahoma St cannot play in a section of the bracket that has another Big 12 team in it before the Elite 8, and Dayton could not play in another portion of the bracket that had an A10 in it before the Elite 8.

The Dayton/Wichita pod had Kansas St. as a potential Sweet 16 opponent. The Michigan/Oklahoma St. pod had URI as a potential Sweet 16 opponent. Therefore, neither team could switch. If they switch Dayton and Oklahoma St., one matchup has a conflict with URI, if they played in the other, there is a conflict with Kansas St. There is no where to put them.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Sweet 16 conflict only if you play each other 3 times during the season. Butler and Seton Hall could’ve played in the sweet 16 so the committee obviously didn’t care about that conflict.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I apologize for misspeaking on the rule - the rule is that the first three teams from a conference must be split into separate regions, and at that point the committee tries to avoid matchups until the Elite 8, but will sway away from that if there are other complications.

I couldn’t find the exact committee criteria, there’s a breakdown on Wikipedia under NCAA Tournament Selection Process with references.

If you look at Seton Hall last year, they were a 9 seed. They couldn’t play in Novas region, so that’s out. If they swap with Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt gets a 1st round game with Arkansas. If they switch with Michigan St, Michigan St runs into the same problem (Minnesota was in that bracket). Virginia Tech can’t swap because it’s be a 2nd round game with UNC.
0 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I agree it’s not easy to bracket the teams but my point is Wichita was not seeded correctly last year and Dayton got the bad draw when it could’ve have been Michigan. Whether it was on purpose or not, we’ll never know.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

They can’t put Rhody in Boston. I know they have to win to get there. But if you put Rhody in Boston then you’re putting them in the final four because the crowd will be too overwhelming for any other team to win besides Rhody.

I’m ready to get my room and go.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

They put Dayton in Dayton, don’t believe me? Ask Pc.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Since Dayton was the only location for the First Four, what choice did they have?

All top-25 teams won today, including #18 Clemson who won 72-70 at Georgia Tech.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:They put Dayton in Dayton, don’t believe me? Ask Pc.
That was a First Four match up - the First Four is always in Dayton.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

New bracket out today:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... rall-seed/

We're a 5 seed in Boise taking on Loyola-Chicago

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
Alabama and Providence are 9's
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Florida Gulf Coast is a 16
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:New bracket out today:

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Lord please.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote:

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Lord please.
In terms of 1st/2nd round locations, this year is probably going to be a nightmare for most, if not all, 4 and 5 seeds.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Lord please.
In terms of 1st/2nd round locations, this year is probably going to be a nightmare for most, if not all, 4 and 5 seeds.
I could care less about the location of the first round if we get a 4/5. Give me a favorable route to the second weekend, and those locations get muuuuch easier to get to.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Boise? Why in the name of Bob Newhart would they play in Boise?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Because at this point all of the 4 seeds would play in Boise/San Diego therefore all the 5 seeds would play in Boise/San Diego. Arizona is automatic to play in San Diego as a Top 4 seed, so if they move up to a 3, that would open up one non-western location to a 4/5 matchup (probably something in Dallas/Wichita).
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If I recall correctly, a 5 would be the highest seed ever for URI. Were we ever above an 8 seed before?
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

did a brief search the other day and came to the same conclusion a #8 is the highest seed we have received.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Don’t know about before 88 but our seeds since are:

88: 11
93: 8
97: 9
98: 8
99: 12
17: 11

93 and 97 were both against Purdue and the 8 seed won both in close games. The latter in OT.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

steviep123 wrote:Don’t know about before 88 but our seeds since are:

88: 11
93: 8
97: 9
98: 8
99: 12
17: 11

93 and 97 were both against Purdue and the 8 seed won both in close games. The latter in OT.
brian cardinal was arthur lee before arthur lee. Screw them both.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please send us to sunny San Diego if we are a 4/5. I want to take a road trip
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:

Virginia is a 1
Seton Hall is a 6
Nevada is an 8
UNC-Asheville is a 15
Because at this point all of the 4 seeds would play in Boise/San Diego therefore all the 5 seeds would play in Boise/San Diego. Arizona is automatic to play in San Diego as a Top 4 seed, so if they move up to a 3, that would open up one non-western location to a 4/5 matchup (probably something in Dallas/Wichita).
Why the hell would the NCAA inflict Boise on anyone?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me an 8 seed with Kansas as the 1 seed.

;) ;) ;)
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

What's wrong with Boise? It's only a couple connections from TF Green and boom...11 hours later...you're there....
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody74 wrote:If I recall correctly, a 5 would be the highest seed ever for URI. Were we ever above an 8 seed before?
Highest is 8.

Maybe we were technically higher in the tournaments we were in before the filed expanded to 64.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah probably when it was 32.....like in 1978.....the lowest you could be was an 8.....

The way we were playing at the end, we were more like a 4......fucking Duke.......
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Joey Brackets has Rhody at 7. He had PC move from an 11 (Jan 22) to 9 (Jan 29) and the only game they played was a 20 point loss to Nova. The point is that brackets at this point are meaningless. You can pick from so many different brackets and most of these guys aren’t looking at the detail games of all the teams from week to week.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unless we run the table we won't be a 5....and I would be shocked beyond belief if we were to get a 4.....you just know we will be at least a seed line or two higher than what we should be in that scenario.... a 7 seed imo is much more likely given that we will probably lose a couple before the dance invites are given out.

Just no 8 or 9 seed please....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If we go undefeated in league play and have an RPI under 10, I can see a 4 seed.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

im with Rambone and believe a 7 is most likely unless we run the table thru the A10 finals. Or maybe 1 loss. ANything more and we are a 7 which im ok with.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodymob05 wrote:If we go undefeated in league play and have an RPI under 10, I can see a 4 seed.
Depends how much the tournament committee looks at the new metrics added to the team sheets along with the how heavily they take into account the quadrants. Right now our RPI is awesome but kenpom, sagarin and bpi definitely need to improve for us to get a 4 assuming the committee weighs them equally. I saw our kenpom as high as 26 last week and now it’s 32 probably in large part due to the Duquesne game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we can be as high as a 4 seed if we win out

If not then maybe a 6 or 7 if we lose a couple more rest of way
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:. The point is that brackets at this point are meaningless. You can pick from so many different brackets and most of these guys aren’t looking at the detail games of all the teams from week to week.
I don't understand why more people don't use bracket matrix... What's better, one person's meaningless bracket, or a consensus of all of the meaningless brackets? At least with a consensus you can see the average which I do believe is likely closer to the truth. Bracket Matrix currently has URI as the 2nd highest 6 seed, which I do feel is a fair barometer. I think that's likely more realistic than the people who have URI as a current 4 seed or the people who have URI as an 8/9 seed. At a minimum, use the Top 10 "bracketologists" over an extended period of time: Bracketville, Stewart Mandel (Fox), SyracuseFan7, Jon Teitel (HoopsHD), Jabesblog, One Man Selection Committee, Warren Nolan, Wild Bill, Andy Bottom's (Assembly Call), and The Left Bench.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

stewart mandel is now the athletic. he posted his first bracket this morning and has URI as a 7 seed facing NC state in Nashville. Auburn is the 2 seed in the pod.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Using ESPN as a barometer for anything that isn't Lebron instagram posts is dumb.

Joe Lunardi has the 40th ranked bracketology report on Bracket Matrix.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL