2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's just interesting to me because in the past the games against the top teams in the league for the most important ones. Now we are so good that they aren't that important and they're also not that good.

It might be good for us to lose a game or two.

A lot of what happens in the conference regular season is nullified by a good run in the conference tournament. It's all about being confident going into the dance.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote:

I've never understood that line of thinking. There are worse losses than others, but it's always better to win.
7 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The only game I'm okay with losing is if we played he Celtics. WIN WIN WIN. We arent due for a loss, we are due for a deeper NCAA run!
0 x
GO RAMS
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody74 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

I've never understood that line of thinking. There are worse losses than others, but it's always better to win.
The line of thinking is that the longer your win streak is, the more likely you are to have a bad game that results in a loss. Get the bad game out of your system before the conference tournament or NCAA tournament. I'm not sure if there's any truth behind it but I'd be interested in knowing what the longest win streak of an NCAA tournament winner is in recent history.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bona living off their win at a very mediocre Cuse team

As far as losing I hope we go undefeated rest of season I want to be the highest seed possible
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

Of course it's better to win.

It's just sometimes a loss can ground you and make you reevaluate and be better. A lot of that depends on the team though. I feel like the more we win the better and more confident we will be, but in the event that we do lose im sure we will re-group just fine.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Before our 98 elite eight run we got smashed in the A10 tourney...i think to Xavier, by double digits, semis or quarters.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The only time I can recall a loss that would have been good was the 07 pats pulled out that game v Ravens
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

bigappleram wrote:Before our 98 elite eight run we got smashed in the A10 tourney...i think to Xavier, by double digits, semis or quarters.
Semis in Philly. I was there. It wasn't close from the start. GW beat Temple in the other semi. All four, plus UMass went to the tourney that year.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote:
Rhody74 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

It's just sometimes a loss can ground you and make you reevaluate and be better. A lot of that depends on the team though. I feel like the more we win the better and more confident we will be, but in the event that we do lose im sure we will re-group just fine.
Certainly the guy who decided to root for us to lose in the game thread last night because our performance was not quite up to his demanding standards feels the same way. I'm not kidding - that really happened.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
Rhody74 wrote: I've never understood that line of thinking. There are worse losses than others, but it's always better to win.

Certainly the guy who decided to root for us to lose in the game thread last night because our performance was not quite up to his demanding standards feels the same way. I'm not kidding - that really happened.
That would be our friend Da Process Survivor. He's also the "fan" who started the Baron 2.0 thread. That was the thread where he said that Dan Hurley was no better than Jim Baron. He did that in November of last year. Which is the first month of the college basketball season.

He is super smart and really knows what he's talking about when it comes to college basketball.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:

That would be our friend Da Process Survivor. He's also the "fan" who started the Baron 2.0 thread. That was the thread where he said that Dan Hurley was no better than Jim Baron. He did that in November of last year. Which is the first month of the college basketball season.

He is super smart and really knows what he's talking about when it comes to college basketball.
where did I root for them to lose? Exactly.

What I said was, "fuck it, lose this game" as in they needed a wake up call about playing down to their competition and that would've been one.

sorry, guess if you're not part of the Kool Aid Krew and just repeat "everything is awesome" you're rooting against URI now...

and the irony of Blue Man criticizing someone else for ranting, reacting emotionally and being set in their thinking is the text book definition of irony. Pot meet kettle there
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

and the irony of Blue Man criticizing someone else for ranting, reacting emotionally and being set in their thinking is the text book definition of irony. Pot meet kettle there

What I said was, "fuck it, lose this game" as in they needed a wake up call about playing down to their competition and that would've been one.

sorry, guess if you're not part of the Kool Aid Krew and just repeat "everything is awesome" you're rooting against URI now...
Lol I fucking love Kool Aid but if you're finding anything negative with how this season is going your worldview and life sucks.

Go be a Duke fan, life will be much easier on you.

Though I imagine a man of your talents would find a way to complain about something there too.

Sure, I'm emotional and tend to rant emotionally. I probably own the distinction as the most emotionally rant-y person on this board. So what should that tell you about my reaction to most of your posts? If the most emotional and emphatic person in the room is pointing you out for being overly emotional and out-of-touch, maybe you're missing the mark a bit.

At least in any and all of my rants there is a shred of reality and perspective. Christ even in the meltdowns last year I ended every post with something along the lines of "the season isn't over, this team is inconsistent and good enough to run the table and win the A10 autobid."

Your rants have no basis in reality. You're whining about how we look in wins in the midst of what anyone (with half an understanding of NCAA basketball) would consider a near-perfect season thus far, based on the college basketball world's expectations.

After a November loss last year, you started a thread that had you and few fringe lunatics on this board buy into the fact that Dan Hurley was the second coming of Jim Baron.

I don't plan on apologizing for quickly dismissing every single one of your complaints about how this team performs, especially in wins, when most of your emotional assertions tend to be as far away from the truth and reality as possible.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

According to Vegas, Rhody did not play down to their competition, and Vegas always knows haha. I'm happy where this team is right now, enjoying the ride
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Lunardi's latest bracketology has us as a #8 seed vs Ohio State with Nova as the #1

Bama & Bonnies are first four out and PC is next four out
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Surprised he had Marquette on the bubble still. Happy he moved us up, from a 9 I believe.
1 x
GO RAMS
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Would be awesome to get down to a 6 or 7 seed. The 8 or 9s kind of get fucked over because they have to play a 1 seed for their second game. Honestly would much rather be a 10 or 11 than an 8.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Give me a 7 or 10 seed, with Arizona St as the 2 seed.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No.
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Only way that game wouldn't end in a fistfight would be if Dan and Bobby got ejected 15 seconds into the first half.
1 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Any appearance in the tournament other than a 8/9 please. If we continue winning we should seed higher. If we slip we are more than capable of a mid bracket upset.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ace wrote:No.
K.
0 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It would be much more fun to have the Brothers Hurley go deep into the tournament. Ideally, Rhody would make the Final Four and Bobby's team would as well, but one of the brothers loses to a team not coached by his brother.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

I find the love for Bobby and Arizona St on here pretty weird. I don't think I ever saw Dayton fans rooting from Arizona because of the coaches being brothers and I definitely haven't seen Indiana fans rooting for Arizona. I doubt Arizona St fans feel the way towards us as some people on here feel towards them.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

josephski wrote:I find the love for Bobby and Arizona St on here pretty weird. I don't think I ever saw Dayton fans rooting from Arizona because of the coaches being brothers and I definitely haven't seen Indiana fans rooting for Arizona. I doubt Arizona St fans feel the way towards us as some people on here feel towards them.
Some people got to know Bobby when he was at URI for a year. Other people go way back with them.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:It would be much more fun to have the Brothers Hurley go deep into the tournament. Ideally, Rhody would make the Final Four and Bobby's team would as well, but one of the brothers loses to a team not coached by his brother.
No, it would be best if they met in the finals.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody74 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:It would be much more fun to have the Brothers Hurley go deep into the tournament. Ideally, Rhody would make the Final Four and Bobby's team would as well, but one of the brothers loses to a team not coached by his brother.
No, it would be best if they met in the finals.
That would be most acceptable
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like it URI v Arizona Stste for the NCAA championship
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nah. Can’t do that. Cuz...
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yesterday's bracket

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

We're a 7 seed in Deeeeetroit, Michigan taking on Louisville. All we have to do is beat them and Michigan State and it's on to Boston

St. Bonaventure is first team out
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’ve always wanted to visit the motor city.
0 x
GO RAMS
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

josephski wrote:I find the love for Bobby and Arizona St on here pretty weird. I don't think I ever saw Dayton fans rooting from Arizona because of the coaches being brothers and I definitely haven't seen Indiana fans rooting for Arizona. I doubt Arizona St fans feel the way towards us as some people on here feel towards them.
I disagree I think the love for him is understandable.

Why would we not root for the older brother of the emerging legend that saved Rhody basketball?
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

also Bobby did coach here with Dan, Sean did not coach at Dayton with Archie
4 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI'21 wrote:
I disagree I think the love for him is understandable.

Why would we not root for the older brother of the emerging legend that saved Rhody basketball?
Same here. Why wouldn't I root for Bobby Hurley who was an Assistant Coach at URI AND is the brother of our Head Coach? Of course I would. I also root for Luke Murray and Preston Murphy to be successful. They are part of Dan Hurley's Coaching tree. What Arizona State, Creighton and Xavier do does not impact URI so I'm all for these guys being successful.

I remember a big criticism on this board of Jim Baron was that he did not develop Coaches
2 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I'm still a bit peeved at my sister wasting hundreds of thousands of my parents money on a "film degree" at ASU. So i can't help but feel good when they fail. I'm sue they are good at some things beyond being a large school. But I can't help but view the school as a 5th tier institution that's primary purpose seems to be to hoover up as many acceptances and tuition money as physically possible.

Granted it's maybe it's a dumb reason not to like a team, but it's my reason.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

EGram wrote:I'm still a bit peeved at my sister wasting hundreds of thousands of my parents money on a "film degree" at ASU. So i can't help but feel good when they fail. I'm sue they are good at some things beyond being a large school. But I can't help but view the school as a 5th tier institution that's primary purpose seems to be to hoover up as many acceptances and tuition money as physically possible.

Granted it's maybe it's a dumb reason not to like a team, but it's my reason.
Maybe that's your sisters fault and not ASU's.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I’ve always wanted to visit the motor city.
That makes one of us.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I’ve always wanted to visit the motor city.
That makes one of us.
It would be kind of great for EC and TJ.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would be awesome for EC, although part of me worries whether it would actually be good or bad to have anything else going on in your head other than the extremely challenging basketball task at hand. But as a fan there aren't a lot of places I'd like to go to less than Detroit.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can promise you Sacramento is one of them.
#anywhwerebutthere
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

NBC Sports - CollegeBasketballTalk: Bracketology: Villanova holds on No. 1 spot

#6 seed and only A10 team.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Joe Lunardi dropped URI to a 9 seed. I don't like that man.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Joe Lunardi dropped URI to a 9 seed. I don't like that man.
Makes no sense.....
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/

CBS has us at #8 vs UCLA with potential rematch with UVA in 2nd round
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Rhodyram wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Joe Lunardi dropped URI to a 9 seed. I don't like that man.
Makes no sense.....
Yeah not sure I follow that one there Joey! I put Lunardi in the same pool as Mel Kiper for the draft - OVERRATED as an analyst. I'll take Gary Parrish's (CBS) insights over Lunardi anyday, just my personal opinion however
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Bracket Matrix ranks the most accurate bracketologists in the last 5 years, and Lunardi isn't one of the top 5... or top 10... or top 25... he's #40 and yet he's the face of bracket predictions. Damn ESPN.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URI'21 wrote:Bracket Matrix ranks the most accurate bracketologists in the last 5 years, and Lunardi isn't one of the top 5... or top 10... or top 25... he's #40 and yet he's the face of bracket predictions. Damn ESPN.
#1 rated bracket on the matrix is Bracketville.

They have us as a 6 seed slated to play the winner of Bama/Washington, for the right to play #3 UNC or #14 W&M.

At the rate we are going and the A10 is going, 6 seed seems fairly likely. Just need to continue to handle our business.

**As an FYI. Bracket Matrix complies all the data from final mock brackets before selection sunday for the past 5 years. They award points based on in/out of the field, and seeding/seeding close to the actual number. Having the #1 ranking as a bracket in the matrix means that they have been consistently the most accurate over the last 5 years in accurately predicting the field and their seeds.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:I can promise you Sacramento is one of them.
#anywhwerebutthere
BAR,
Off the Bracketology Subject, but I enjoyed Sacramento, had never been there before.

If you have not seen it yet, I highly recommend the movie Lady Bird. The movie takes place mostly in Sacramento and there are many familiar sites in the movie that I remember from having been at the NCAAs there. Excellent movie.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Blue Man wrote:
URI'21 wrote:Bracket Matrix ranks the most accurate bracketologists in the last 5 years, and Lunardi isn't one of the top 5... or top 10... or top 25... he's #40 and yet he's the face of bracket predictions. Damn ESPN.

They have us as a 6 seed slated to play the winner of Bama/Washington, for the right to play #3 UNC or #14 W&M.

At the rate we are going and the A10 is going, 6 seed seems fairly likely. Just need to continue to handle our business.

**As an FYI. Bracket Matrix complies all the data from final mock brackets before selection sunday for the past 5 years. They award points based on in/out of the field, and seeding/seeding close to the actual number. Having the #1 ranking as a bracket in the matrix means that they have been consistently the most accurate over the last 5 years in accurately predicting the field and their seeds.
I didn't think we could play bama in the round of 64 as they were a regular season foe?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

urirx wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

I didn't think we could play bama in the round of 64 as they were a regular season foe?
Correct. That goes out the window when you are talking First Four. It's the same reason Dayton got to play at home for those games. First Four is international waters with selection rules.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL