2017-18 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I like it when people talk about our "expected RPI" which I think is 28 right now....

Does that take into account any losses other than the only game we're likely to be an underdog the rest of the way, to the Bonnies?

17-1 would be nice....and yeah I'm the King of England.....not happening. Like DiSano just said, he kind of expects us to have a 7-2 or 6-3 road conference record by the end of the season....I'd take that, along with an 8-1 home record.

Losses will happen. It's who they're to, that will matter.
1 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

this will be our best conference record in a while and for a while. The question is how a high a seed can we get
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:I like it when people talk about our "expected RPI" which I think is 28 right now....

Does that take into account any losses other than the only game we're likely to be an underdog the rest of the way, to the Bonnies?

17-1 would be nice....and yeah I'm the King of England.....not happening. Like DiSano just said, he kind of expects us to have a 7-2 or 6-3 road conference record by the end of the season....I'd take that, along with an 8-1 home record.

Not sure Bone. RealtimeRPI has us losing every road game and ending at 20-9. Not sure how that plays into our expected RPI.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ace wrote:I believe this is what is called an impasse. Here’s to moving on!!

No?
Ok, whatever.

YES!!! :)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:I like it when people talk about our "expected RPI" which I think is 28 right now....

Not sure Bone. RealtimeRPI has us losing every road game and ending at 20-9. Not sure how that plays into our expected RPI.
20-9 won't get it done. 6 more losses? 12-6 conference record....no at large there

That would suck.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

20-9 won't get it done. 6 more losses? 12-6 conference record....no at large there

That would suck.
That isn't happening obviously. The conference has three teams in the top 100 RPI and we are one of them. Any loss is a bad loss going forward save a top 100 team.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Rpiforecast has us finishing at 22-7 with a 20.4% chance at finishing 23-6.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Rhode%20Island.html
2 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Yes the expected RPI takes into account more than just who we're expected to lose to. Currently rpiforecast has us expected to only lose at St Bon, but had us finishing with a 14-4 record in conference.

You can also play around with the rpiwizard and see how each loss could effect our RPI
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Real time RPI we will shatter 12-6

How does 14-4 or 15-3 sound ???
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Stop using real time RPI. It’s not even real time unless you pay.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Going off of expected RPI we are currently 1-3 in quadrant 1 games. We only have one left, St. Bonaventure on the road, so we are already pretty much guaranteed a losing record in quadrant 1 games. We have not played a quadrant 2 game yet. We have four quadrant 2 games left, St. Bonaventure at home and Dayton, VCU and Davidson all on the road. Davidson is borderline and if they don't pick it up might not be a quadrant 2 game.

PC is currently expected to have an RPI of 76. It is extremely important that they do well enough to have a top 75 RPI and are a quadrant 2 win for us.
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Going off of expected RPI we are currently 1-3 in quadrant 1 games. We only have one left, St. Bonaventure on the road, so we are already pretty much guaranteed a losing record in quadrant 1 games. We have not played a quadrant 2 game yet. We have four quadrant 2 games left, St. Bonaventure at home and Dayton, VCU and Davidson all on the road. Davidson is borderline and if they don't pick it up might not be a quadrant 2 game.

PC is currently expected to have an RPI of 76. It is extremely important that they do well enough to have a top 75 RPI and are a quadrant 2 win for us.

Rhowdy you obviously haven't been paying attention. You shouldn't dare suggest that we hope for PC to do well for our benefit. That's sacrilege to the many on this board that think our ONE quality win so far and beating up on the dregs of the A10 will be enough to get us an at large. After all, at the end of the year when the board looks at quality wins, I'm sure they are going to throw FGCU, Charleston, Iona, and NC Asheville in there.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Going off of expected RPI we are currently 1-3 in quadrant 1 games. We only have one left, St. Bonaventure on the road, so we are already pretty much guaranteed a losing record in quadrant 1 games. We have not played a quadrant 2 game yet. We have four quadrant 2 games left, St. Bonaventure at home and Dayton, VCU and Davidson all on the road. Davidson is borderline and if they don't pick it up might not be a quadrant 2 game.

Rhowdy you obviously haven't been paying attention. You shouldn't dare suggest that we hope for PC to do well for our benefit. That's sacrilege to the many on this board that think our ONE quality win so far and beating up on the dregs of the A10 will be enough to get us an at large. After all, at the end of the year when the board looks at quality wins, I'm sure they are going to throw FGCU, Charleston, Iona, and NC Asheville in there.
I think by now RhodyRam86 most everyone knows where everyone stands on this. No need to keep trolling. For sure you want to see PC do well and it makes sense what you and RR2 are saying but look at the facts now.....

PC is falling like a rock. Picked preseason to finish 4th in the BE and now based on their performance to date the RPI Forecast shows them coming in 8th place. Biggest change for any BE team from the original predictions.
I watched their game this week and they looked bad on defense. Crowd enthusiasm was bad. Coaching by Cooley left a lot to be desired in the last minute and in the Overtime.
Team has injuries, sickness. Team is slow footed, not aggressive on defense.

To me it makes sense for URI to focus on the A10 Conference and win it outright. Rooting for PC and hoping they land in the 51-75 Quadrant makes sense but a huge gamble based on the way the Providence College Stock is sinking. Things are not so good in Friartown. Will be interesting to see how Cooley Coaches this team the last 15 games. He will gain a lot of respect from me if he gets back to the original Coaches Poll Prediction of 4th place of higher.

Expected
RPI Rank

3.1 Villanova
7.3 Xavier
16.9 Seton Hall
29.1 Creighton
32.7 Butler
59.1 St. John's
61.2 Marquette
76.6 Providence
153.3 Georgetown
179.8 DePaul

Preseason Big East Coaches Poll
1. Villanova (8) 80
2. Seton Hall (1) 71
3. Xavier (1) 63
4. Providence 59
5. Creighton 48
6. St. John’s 36
7. Marquette 34
8. Butler 32
9. Georgetown 15
10. DePaul 12

In 15 remaining games PC is favored to win only 4 games.

1-6 Xavier (7.3) BE H 0-0 32% -5.2
1-12 DePaul (179.8) BE A 0-0 57% 2.1
1-15 Butler (32.7) BE H 0-0 46% -1.0
1-20 Creighton (29.1) BE H 0-0 35% -4.3
1-23 Villanova (3.1) BE A 0-0 7% -16.9
1-31 Seton Hall (16.9) BE A 0-0 20% -9.5
2-3 Marquette (61.2) BE A 0-0 34% -4.8
2-6 Georgetown (153.3) BE H 0-0 69% 5.7
2-10 DePaul (179.8) BE H 0-0 77% 8.5
2-14 Villanova (3.1) BE H 0-0 18% -10.5
2-17 Butler (32.7) BE A 0-0 26% -7.4
2-21 Seton Hall (16.9) BE H 0-0 39% -3.1
2-24 Georgetown (153.3) BE A 0-0 48% -0.7
2-28 Xavier (7.3) BE A 0-0 15% -11.6
3-3 St. John's (59.1) BE H 0-0 58% 2.4
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PC always seems to pull off miracle wins that they have no business winning (Xavier and Creighton back-to-back last year, at Villanova in 2016). I think it's fair to assume they could win a couple games this season that they shouldn't win. Like they say, this is why they play the games.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster...of course URI has no control over PC's future and it makes sense that they focus on the A10 and take care of business. unfortunately the A10 offers only one gold nugget (at the Bonnies) and a bunch of landmines (pretty much every other game). and if the early start of the season has taught us anything, perhaps this year more than any other, it is going to be increasingly difficult to win on the road (for example...1 road win in the A10 so far, Duke losing at BC, ASU losing at Colorado, Alabama losing at Vandy to name a few). Wouldn't be surprised if we lay an egg or two on the road as well.

I've said previously i thought the injuries to EC and Cyril came at the worse possible time. if given a choice, i would rather have beaten VA or Bama with a healthy team to add a quality win and sacrificed a loss or two in conference because of a couple injuries. At least that way the committee could say "When healthy, this team can beat really good teams".

i don't care if cooley is a coach unwilling to make adjustments. if they are slow on defense. if they are lazy. the season will play out as it will with indifference to who we root for. it really doesn't matter if i root for PC or you root against them.

We have one quality win. Could maybe add two more against the Bonnies. Other than that, i don't see any potential for any of our other victories to become quality...with the exception of PC. I'm rooting hard for URI to win it all so this all becomes irrelevant, but would sure feel more comfortable with a second OOC quality win.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Stop using real time RPI. It’s not even real time unless you pay.
I forget, which is the best one to use these days? I know you've mentioned it before but now I can't find it.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

http://rpiforecast.com/ which offers completely free and truly LIVE RPI here: http://live-rpi.com/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Rpiforecast
Cool, thats usually what I use. I thought thats what ATP was saying was no good anymore. My mistake.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:ramster...of course URI has no control over PC's future and it makes sense that they focus on the A10 and take care of business. unfortunately the A10 offers only one gold nugget (at the Bonnies) and a bunch of landmines (pretty much every other game). and if the early start of the season has taught us anything, perhaps this year more than any other, it is going to be increasingly difficult to win on the road (for example...1 road win in the A10 so far, Duke losing at BC, ASU losing at Colorado, Alabama losing at Vandy to name a few). Wouldn't be surprised if we lay an egg or two on the road as well.

I've said previously i thought the injuries to EC and Cyril came at the worse possible time. if given a choice, i would rather have beaten VA or Bama with a healthy team to add a quality win and sacrificed a loss or two in conference because of a couple injuries. At least that way the committee could say "When healthy, this team can beat really good teams".

i don't care if cooley is a coach unwilling to make adjustments. if they are slow on defense. if they are lazy. the season will play out as it will with indifference to who we root for. it really doesn't matter if i root for PC or you root against them.

We have one quality win. Could maybe add two more against the Bonnies. Other than that, i don't see any potential for any of our other victories to become quality...with the exception of PC. I'm rooting hard for URI to win it all so this all becomes irrelevant, but would sure feel more comfortable with a second OOC quality win.

Sounds like we agree.......not sure then why you continue to say the below. Contradicting yourself, no?

0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:ramster...of course URI has no control over PC's future and it makes sense that they focus on the A10 and take care of business. unfortunately the A10 offers only one gold nugget (at the Bonnies) and a bunch of landmines (pretty much every other game). and if the early start of the season has taught us anything, perhaps this year more than any other, it is going to be increasingly difficult to win on the road (for example...1 road win in the A10 so far, Duke losing at BC, ASU losing at Colorado, Alabama losing at Vandy to name a few). Wouldn't be surprised if we lay an egg or two on the road as well.

Sounds like we agree.......not sure then why you continue to say the below. Contradicting yourself, no?

it doesn't matter who we root for. my comment above is directed to those who take pleasure in seeing PC lose. I don't get that at all when we could use that quality win.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Stop relying on pc for anything then you won't be disappointed.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Alright, we let this go on for way longer than necessary. Take it to private messages.

This thread needs to get back to Bracketology type updates and insights.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Alright, we let this go on for way longer than necessary. Take it to private messages.

Good. Please not private messages either :roll: :roll: .
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, me too. No pm's about peecee please.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Alright, we let this go on for way longer than necessary. Take it to private messages.

Thank You.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So apparently the Bracketville guy I've been posting does the bracket for NBC Sports

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... ssion=true

In his bracket from yesterday morning he has us as a 7 seed taking on Syracuse in Nashville

St. Bonaventure is a 9

Seton Hall is a 4
Virginia is a 5
Nevada is also a 7

Alabama plays in one of the first four games
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bracketville is pretty prolific, there's a new one out today.

We're a 7 seed taking on Baylor in Charlotte.

Virginia is a 2 seed
Seton Hall is a 3 seed
Nevada is also a 7 seed

Providence is in the first four and considered fourth to last in

St. Bonaventure is first out
Alabama is fourth out
0 x
Rhody Dude
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody Dude »

Man, getting a 5/6 seed would be huge, get a 3/4 the next game. Hate looking at us as 8/9 then the next game potentially against a 1 seed.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody Dude wrote:Man, getting a 5/6 seed would be huge, get a 3/4 the next game. Hate looking at us as 8/9 then the next game potentially against a 1 seed.
I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but I think we are good enough and the A10 is bad enough that we could wind up a 4 seed playing a second weekend game in Boston.

16-2 plus 3-0 and an A10 title might do it. 27-5 with a top 10 RPI. Not impossible.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Blue Man wrote:
Rhody Dude wrote:Man, getting a 5/6 seed would be huge, get a 3/4 the next game. Hate looking at us as 8/9 then the next game potentially against a 1 seed.
I'm not exaggerating when I say this, but I think we are good enough and the A10 is bad enough that we could wind up a 4 seed playing a second weekend game in Boston.

16-2 plus 3-0 and an A10 title might do it. 27-5 with a top 10 RPI. Not impossible.
This is along the lines of my thinking. Maximize this teams potential. Show up every night with something to prove and catapult themselves to a different level. Not just be the best in the A10 because everyone else is down. I know the Bonnie’s are good. But I also know Terrell owns Mobley.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How many games will we be underdogs the rest of the way? Zero? The Bonnies up there might have been one of them, but that's probably changed. I don't think it's insane to think we can go undefeated in conference and win the A10 tourney also. I know there will likely be an upset or two, but I think we have a realistic shot to win out from here. What kind of seed would that put us at?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I would think if we beat SLU tomorrow and the bonnies on saturday, we will not be an underdog for the rest of the conference games.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Billyboy78 wrote:How many games will we be underdogs the rest of the way? Zero? The Bonnies up there might have been one of them, but that's probably changed. I don't think it's insane to think we can go undefeated in conference and win the A10 tourney also. I know there will likely be an upset or two, but I think we have a realistic shot to win out from here. What kind of seed would that put us at?
KenPom currently has us losing by 1 in Olean with a 49% chance of winning. There are no other games where URI is not favored.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyKyle wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:How many games will we be underdogs the rest of the way? Zero? The Bonnies up there might have been one of them, but that's probably changed. I don't think it's insane to think we can go undefeated in conference and win the A10 tourney also. I know there will likely be an upset or two, but I think we have a realistic shot to win out from here. What kind of seed would that put us at?
KenPom currently has us losing by 1 in Olean with a 49% chance of winning. There are no other games where URI is not favored.
Wow, I thought with the Bonnies already having lost 2 games, that might change. Then again, it still might, especially if we put a beating on them this Saturday.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

At that point you are probably talking about an RPI in the 4-6 range. Just winning out the regular season on rpiwizard puts us at 4.

To be clear, I don't think we'll win out the regular season, like you said there will likely be a couple upsets along the way and it's probably just as likely that we lose 3 or 4 games as it is that we go undefeated. But just to answer the question that's where it would likely put us in the RPI.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

There hasn't been an undefeated team in the A10 since GW in 2006. Lofty goal, but this year it's not out of reach.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chances of URI going undefeated in A10 the rest of the way = 1.48%
1 Loss = 7.6%
2 Losses = 17.6%
3 Losses = 24.5%
4 Losses = 23.2%

26-3 (6.8) 1.48%
25-4 (10.0) 7.54%
24-5 (14.1) 17.63%
23-6 (19.3) 24.46%
22-7 (25.8) 23.16%
21-8 (33.7) 15.26%
20-9 (42.9) 7.23%
19-10 (53.2) 2.36%
18-11 (64.7) 0.73%
17-12 (82.9) 0.14%

Right now the 3 Toughest chances to win are:
2-2 VCU (107.5) A 59% 2.6
2-16 St. Bonaventure (45.5) A 49% -0.3
3-2 Davidson (118.2) A 59% 2.7

Home
Away

1-9 Saint Louis (197.1) A 80% 9.4
1-13 St. Bonaventure (45.5) H 71% 6.2
1-17 Massachusetts (200.3) H 91% 14.9
1-20 Dayton (118.3) A 67% 4.9
1-24 Fordham (265.1) A 89% 13.7
1-27 Duquesne (201.6) H 91% 15.4
1-30 Massachusetts (200.3) A 77% 8.5
2-2 VCU (107.5) A 59% 2.6
2-9 Davidson (118.2) H 79% 9.1
2-13 Richmond (238.6) H 94% 17.8
2-16 St. Bonaventure (45.5) A 49% -0.3
2-20 La Salle (149.2) A 71% 6.2
2-23 Dayton (118.3) H 84% 11.3
2-27 Saint Joseph's (149.4) H 86% 12.5
3-2 Davidson (118.2) A 59% 2.7
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would think at this point, anything more than 3 conference losses would be considered a disappointment.....
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:I would think at this point, anything more than 3 conference losses would be considered a disappointment.....
I think you’re right.

Amazing that’s how far we’ve come.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea Hope the team keep score getting better. Refining their roles.

Fatts is relentless. Have to imagine he is going to destroy an A10 team or 2 this year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The games at VCU and St Bonaventure are the only ones where we can lose while playing well.
If we lose those games though, will people ask if we are really that good seeing as we lost the two toughest games on the A-10 schedule?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At this point, I feel like the Bonnies game is a trap game.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the best we can get is a 5 seed . The committee always screws the A10 so I can't see us getting on the top 4 line with the exception of if we go 17-1 or better including winning a10 final
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote:The games at VCU and St Bonaventure are the only ones where we can lose while playing well.
If we lose those games though, will people ask if we are really that good seeing as we lost the two toughest games on the A-10 schedule?
Even though everybody here will tell you that they know Rhody won't go 18-0 in the A-10, no matter who we lose to or when there will be people here who take it as proof positive that we aren't really that good when we do eventually lose. That is your stone cold lock of the century.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote:The games at VCU and St Bonaventure are the only ones where we can lose while playing well.
I sure hope not. Bonnie’s, Dayton and VCU will all be very difficult environments to play in, I definitely don’t expect us to play well in all three of those games. Either way I think the question for the rest of the year will be what’s our ceiling, not whether or not we’re that good.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The road games at Dayton Bona VCU and Davidson look to be the toughest tests be real hard to sweep that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

IDK about the "were they ever really that good?" critique if they lose to the other perceived top teams in the league. Criticism is fair though if that were to happen. They want to be the league champs and we as fans want to be the league champs. So obviously they have to beat the other teams that have a shot at that. Long way to go.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Kevin~ "Yikes" (in Providence College fandom language, that means hahahahaha)
1 x
GO RAMS