Don't Miss Out: Meet & Greet with Dan Hurley in Providence, NYC, and Boston

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Re: Don't Miss Out: Meet & Greet with Dan Hurley in Providence, NYC, and Boston

Unread post by Tom98 »

I talked with Dan and Antonio for a good amount of time. I discussed the 4 and the 5 spot. Big expectations for Cyril next year at the 5. Lassard is next in line behind Cyril with Berry at the 5 if he continues to commit to reconditioning/better D. Tertsea is not ready yet. Solitifiying an elite 4 is the top priority right now. Looking for an immediate impact player....likely not a freshman. I couldn't get any specific names but they feel good about landing the type of player we need.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Stop and Tom, thanks for the great updates!
Do you think Dan felt the event was a positive?
Was Thorr there? Any questions or comments about Dan's extension and program upgrades?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Nice event, as others have mentioned there was nothing really new in terms of info but this is exactly the sort of outreach/get together that the program should be doing. I'll throw some bullet points that I don't think were mentioned yet...

-The place itself is really weird now, decked out in wedding whites everywhere and phony "crystals" and "glass" (plastic). Nice enough joint, terrific location but a bit incongruous for a sports-centric event.
-Thorr was on hand, and MC'd the event. He and Dan were very available before and after, talking with fans and the various staff that were there.
-Dooley spoke briefly, boilerplate presidential stuff.
-Coach LaForce from women's basketball was there and Dan gave her a shout out during his speech.
-Some humorous comments about fan-favorite Will Levitan from the crowd and Hurley himself.
-The 1999 trophy was there as well as this year's.
-Antonio Reynolds Dean and Eric Youncofski were in attendance.
-Either Dan gets wind of the forum or more of you guys are hassling him in person than I thought because he commented slightly on the "Berry is Jesus", "Zone is Jesus" (my words not his) rhetoric you often see around these parts.
-As others have said, Dan mentioned having 1 scholarship left and that the big gap for the program to fill was at forward for Hass.

There's probably some other stuff too, although I'm not thinking of it now. Overall a fine after-work style event.
3 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Also I should say Thorr and especially Dan were gracious and charming both in conversation and during the presentation period. As someone who often has to deal with public speaking I know how difficult it can be to learn to avoid speech disfluencies ("um", "yknow", etc) when you're going off script, but Dan's definitely getting better and he's going to make a great studio guest on CBS et al once he's ready for it.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice updates thanks
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Was their opportunity to take a picture with the trophies? I'm hoping there will be in Boston in a couple of weeks.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Tom98 wrote:I talked with Dan and Antonio for a good amount of time. I discussed the 4 and the 5 spot. Big expectations for Cyril next year at the 5. Lassard is next in line behind Cyril with Berry at the 5 if he continues to commit to reconditioning/better D. Tertsea is not ready yet. Solitifiying an elite 4 is the top priority right now. Looking for an immediate impact player....likely not a freshman. I couldn't get any specific names but they feel good about landing the type of player we need.
That's what we were hoping to hear.
I see Lassard as a 4; are you saying Lassard will back up Cyril at the 5?
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Puck Frovidence
ARD

steviep123 wrote:Was their opportunity to take a picture with the trophies? I'm hoping there will be in Boston in a couple of weeks.
Yep, pretty sure that's why they were there.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Dan said we have one scholarship available....my info...from non-coaching sources...so take it for what is worth....some of our players were advised that they would not be getting as much playing time as they would hope next year and the future would be best for them at another school....but the final decision was up to the players...all players in this group decided that they loved being here and loved their teammates...all are returning...hence only one scholarship

Dan also said they needed to "kill it" on the recruiting the 2018 class....he knows that good players are needed after next year....
Last edited by Ramulous 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Interesting info Ramulous.....wonder who was advised?

My guess was Thompson for sure....Berry maybe....Dan probably wanted to free up another spot. Tertsea?

Anyway, if we land Toppin I would still think we would somehow open a spot for a transfer or 5th year......

If not, then we need to hit a home run with the one commit.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

[quote="Ramulous"]Dan said we have one scholarship available....my info...from non-coaching sources...so take it for what is worth....some of our players were advised that they would not be getting as much playing time as they would hope next year and the future would be best for them at another school....but the final decision was up to the players...all players in this group decided that they loved being here and loved their teammates...all are returning...hence only one scholarship

I'm happy to hear that all of the players are returning. When you sell the University you should not later advise people that they would have a better future somewhere else. If they are not good enough to earn much playing time they are not likely to become professional athletes regardless of where they would transfer. We can have amazing depth and experience by keeping our players for four years.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If there are no transfers out this year, would this be the second straight year? That is nearly unheard of these days with the ever increasing number of transfers.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:If there are no transfers out this year, would this be the second straight year? That is nearly unheard of these days with the ever increasing number of transfers.
As of right now, they've had three real transfers in 5 years (Minnis, Butler, Reischel; Hare, Powell, Onyekaba, Aaman were examples of player turnover but different cases). That is well below the average. When you look at guys like Matthews, Martin, Terrell- those are the types, from a stats/production perspective, that can sometimes be lured away from a program to a higher level, "promise" of more immediate team success. EC and Hassan would've had many opportunities to bolt after their 5 conference win freshmen year, but they believed in what they were building, which is yet another reason why this past season was so satisfying and well-deserved.
Last edited by ace 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It's also a testament to the type of program Dan is building. Loyalty and character stand for something.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:It's also a testament to the type of program Dan is building. Loyalty and character stand for something.
And academics
3 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Rhody74 wrote:It's also a testament to the type of program Dan is building. Loyalty and character stand for something.

This is also HUGE for future recruiting. The fact that no one has transferred in the past 2 seasons shows that what the staff is selling is not BS. This is a place that players what to be. Also I love that Christion Thompson is not transferring, if there is an injury next season, he's a very key player and he will be an important senior the following year.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Mongo wrote:

This is also HUGE for future recruiting. The fact that no one has transferred in the past 2 seasons shows that what the staff is selling is not BS. This is a place that players what to be. Also I love that Christion Thompson is not transferring, if there is an injury next season, he's a very key player and he will be an important senior the following year.

It is also another example of how truly clueless many of the fans of other A-10 schools really are when it concerns Dan Hurley:

Per other A-10 Team Fans narrative:

Them: Dan Hurley is out of control. Will embarrass the school.
Reality: They were totally oblivious to the fact there was an out of control coach at an A-10 school - Mike Lonergan at GW. Was fired for his conduct weeks before the start of the season.

Them: Dan Hurley will be on the first train out of Kingston for a new job.
Reality: Dan Hurley has been here five seasons and looks to be returning for year six. Eight other A-10 schools have had coaching changes (some ore than once) since Dan came to Kingston.

Them: Would never want my son to play for Hurley as he is a lunatic.
Reality: Players apparently like playing for him and most never leave (likely no transfers out last two seasons).

Them: Hurley is all hype because of his last name. Will never reach success on his own.
Reality: Hurley just led the team to the A-10 Tournament Championship, NCAA, and NCAA 1st round win.

Other A-10 fans do not like Hurley's sideline behavior. They basically ignore all other aspects of his coaching choosing to dwell on just one facet. They continually hurl personal insults and invective in their writings toward Dan. Makes one question who really has issues.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote:Them: Would never want my son to play for Hurley as he is a lunatic.
Reality: Players apparently like playing for him and most never leave (likely no transfers out last two seasons).

Other A-10 fans do not like Hurley's sideline behavior. They basically ignore all other aspects of his coaching choosing to dwell on just one facet. They continually hurl personal insults and invective in their writings toward Dan. Makes one question who really has issues.
A perfect example of this is Gil Biruta. After dealing with the Rutgers situation, would he really have played for Dan again if Dan is a lunatic who you shouldn't trust your sons with?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It isn't even worth putting in the effort to build a defense of Dan and his interaction with his players. There is, as far as I know, literally nothing to substantiate the idea that he doesn't treat his players well and literally dozens of instances of his players - from many different backgrounds, levels, talents, etc. - who have called the guy the best coach they've played for, a father figure, etc. If you add in all the circumstantial stuff - the lack of transfers, the seeming uncommon closeness of the team's players, the academic performance of his teams, the character of his players and the lack of internal or external disciplinary issues, I could go on...anyone that would say "I wouldn't want my kid to play for Dan Hurley" is either a bad parent or a fan of a rival team. In either case, it isn't worth arguing with them about.

Yes, Dan yells and exhibits emotion on the sideline. Honestly, it isn't how I'd do it. But it also doesn't bother me in any way. Anyone that is bothered by it is an idiot.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If my informant was correct the only way we could get another scholarship would be for the staff go back to the players and force one to leave....I cannot see that happening....so I think it is either Toppin or Lane...not both...they tell Toppin if he doesn't commit now the scholarship could go to Lane....and there is no other...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

You don't need an informant to know that lol ...we all know the team could get another scholarship if Dan and his staff forces a player to leave. Common sense...
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Pretty cool that no one transfers out...even cooler if that holds even after he warns some re PT...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think DH adores his players and they adore him back
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Reef for the win!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

The New York event was last night, really good event. Hurley did a Q&A and was very honest and entertaining. He said Hassan has a break in his kneecap and missed all the post season Draft camps to date. Hassan also never mentioned the injury during the Tourney but they noticed it on film watching the Creighton game.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

bwerner10 wrote:The New York event was last night, really good event. Hurley did a Q&A and was very honest and entertaining. He said Hassan has a break in his kneecap and missed all the post season Draft camps to date. Hassan also never mentioned the injury during the Tourney but they noticed it on film watching the Creighton game.
WOW!

Thanks for the info - other than Hurley, who was there from URI?
Last edited by steviep123 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some Keaney Blue members tonight!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'll be there
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Really good event tonight. Turnout probably could have been better, but everyone got a little face time with the coach. Dan's comments were more or less what you'd expect - thoughtful, smart, engaging, self deprecating. He specifically asked us not to "post to message boards" some of the content, but my overall thoughts are that there "will" be another player added to this roster, but it's unlikely to be any of the guys that have visited so far; that the "demands" are much more modest than a practice facility and we should be able to do what he's asking for the program; that Andre Berry might be more of a factor next year than you'd have thought, but you're still in a position of having 7 guards that need to see the floor so don't be surprised if we play small a lot; the schedule is top priority right now and they're working on putting something good together, but fans might have to drive for it (I think they'll like it if it happens). Always love getting with my Rhody family and meeting new (and seeing old) friends.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Great time tonight. TP, sorry I wasn't able to figure out who you are and meet you. I did walk up to some people here and there to see if any were members here. Most looked at me like I had 5 heads. I did meet JFrench who I remembered used to post a lot in the past (probably back in the projo days). He said he mainly lurks now. If I had half a brain I would have DM'd some of you to say what my real name was and asked for yours so I could look for name tags. Oh well, next time.

It was a good event. Not too much that wasn't already said about NYC a couple of nights ago. Thorr gave an intro (and an outro), Dan spoke for a while, then opened the door to questions and spoke about continually building the program. He talked a lot about scheduling and they are trying to work it out so they won't have to play any more than 2 non conference road games a year. Playing Houston, Providence, and Valpo all on the road this season and losing to all by around 3 points really could have cost them. One of those games if at home has a good chance of turning into a win, and help with a better chance of an at large bid and seed, so they don't want to have that situation again if they can help it.

Hurley also mentioned that recruiting for 2018 and beyond is big, and while it won't necessarily be easier, he can now sell recruits on making it to winning an A10 championship and getting to the tourney as opposed to selling a dream like he was with guys like EC and Hass. If we can show the positive steps that the winning brings, they can show recruits what will happen if they come. (I'm paraphrasing so any one else that was there that can elaborate better, be my guest).

I can't remember what else, but if I do, I'll update.

Shout out to the great Alumni Staff that was there (Christine Haas who brought this to our attention, Michelle Nota, Tara Comer, and several others whose names I did not get). Also the A10 Trophy was there and got a couple of shots with it.

Finally, spoke to Thorr some after and he was mentioning that if they can consistently get to the tournament, then those yearly NCAA units can keep rolling in and it will be easier to fund the things they would like to do. It obviously goes without saying, but really that's what we need. Until then, hopefully the donations keep coming in.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!