Dan's tribute article to father

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Dan's tribute article to father

Unread post by giovanni »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Re: Dan's tribute article to father

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Nice.
0 x
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great tribute indeed
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

How much money do they need. I would assume Dan and Bobby have donated.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The problem might be, even if they save it, how long will it last without needing even more money?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Every year for a while now they've faced doom barely able to acquire enough money to save it.
It sucks.
Those schools like st Anthony's and st benedicts are what all inner cities in America need, to give structure in places where there is none and hope for a life outside the destructive norms they grow up around.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What a shame...

Adam Zagoria
Today is D-Day for Bob Hurley and @SAHSFriarNation and I'm told it doesn't sound good.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St. Anthony's High School to close June 30th.

http://www.stanthonyhighschool.org/
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's a damn shame.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Absolutely terrible, for reasons far beyond basketball.

If you haven't already seen "The Street Stops Here" it's worth it:

This is why I continue to bang the drum that our head coach is cut from a different cloth. Look at where he was raised, and who he was raised by.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

yeah, well, Catholic schools aren't favored by a certain political class anymore. It's a shame. Vouchers would go a long way in saving places like Saint Ants.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:yeah, well, Catholic schools aren't favored by a certain political class anymore. It's a shame. Vouchers would go a long way in saving places like Saint Ants.
I know you're trying to say liberals here, but the fact is Catholic schools aren't favored by the vast majority of people anymore.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:yeah, well, Catholic schools aren't favored by a certain political class anymore. It's a shame. Vouchers would go a long way in saving places like Saint Ants.
I know you're trying to say liberals here, but the fact is Catholic schools aren't favored by the vast majority of people anymore.
Any type of school in an inner city environment should be favored.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
You must be upset that Mount St Charles, Prout, Hendricken and LaSalle rule in sports. Butt hurt much?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

forgot St Andrew's.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
You must be upset that Mount St Charles, Prout, Hendricken and LaSalle rule in sports. Butt hurt much?
The fact that you evaluate the quality of education based on how a school does in RI Interscholastic sports explains so much about you as a person.
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Really bro?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
The fact that you evaluate the quality of education based on how a school does in RI Interscholastic sports explains so much about you as a person.
Do we want to go down the route of the quality of education between Catholic schools and public schools? Don't embarrass yourself.
Last edited by theblueram 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

theblueram wrote:Do we want to go down the route of the quality of education between Catholic schools and public schools? Don't embarrass yourself.
Yeah well although this case is sad, I'm not sure how giving vouchers to people who already have enough coin to bail on the public schools is a good way to improve them.

Also for the record I know one private Catholic educational institution on the west side of Providence that can absolutely go fuck itself.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Do we want to go down the route of the quality of education between Catholic schools and public schools? Don't embarrass yourself.
Why makes this political? Be careful with generalizations about the quality between Catholic schools and public schools too - it depends on the region.

Catholic schools are struggling across the country because - there is a decline in practicing Catholics in the generation that has school age children, the cost of all forms of education have increased significantly (teacher's pay, facility costs) and enrollment in Catholic schools is way down. When I was young the church paid most of the costs for the Catholic schools. That is not an option any more. St. Anthony has 100 students. It is sad but would we be reacting this way if they weren't a basketball power?
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

End the unions. End the government control. Catholic schools are run by parents. But, what do I know. Maybe people like to be controlled.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote:
theblueram wrote:Do we want to go down the route of the quality of education between Catholic schools and public schools? Don't embarrass yourself.
Yeah well although this case is sad, I'm not sure how giving vouchers to people who already have enough coin to bail on the public schools is a good way to improve them.

Also for the record I know one private Catholic educational institution on the west side of Providence that can absolutely go fuck itself.
The vouchers get the inner city kids out of the crap schools they have to go to. Don't you get it? Wealthy people will send their kids where ever they want to. Do you think a smart kid in Providence would love to go to Prout or Hendricken? Give them a chance to go where they should be at to learn.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Catholic Church already has plenty of money and assets and they already receive a huge benefit by not being taxed. They're more than welcome to offer scholarships to those kids.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That's interesting, I had a long response about that very thing (the lawsuits) written out yesterday in response to some of the above posts but decided against posting it. It's 100% true though.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I guess 'Spotlight' got a lot of people to come forward.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rambone 78 wrote:The problem might be, even if they save it, how long will it last without needing even more money?
they needed something like 10-15m to be able to create an endowment which would have kept it open permanently.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

theblueram wrote:
Puck Frovidence wrote:

The vouchers get the inner city kids out of the crap schools they have to go to. Don't you get it? Wealthy people will send their kids where ever they want to. Do you think a smart kid in Providence would love to go to Prout or Hendricken? Give them a chance to go where they should be at to learn.

So then what happens to the inner city kids who don't get the vouchers? They now have to go to those same inner-city schools that are now even more depleted financially because of the voucher program...
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

theblueram wrote:
Puck Frovidence wrote:

The smart kid would go to Classical...
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This will NOT become a political thread.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But it is.
0 x