Vice: End of Amateurism

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Vice: End of Amateurism

Unread post by adam914 »

Not sure if anybody caught Vice on HBO from last night, but they did a full 30 minutes on college athletics and the upcoming lawsuit that could change everything about how the NCAA works. It was pretty well done, maybe not a ton of new info for people that follow the issue closely but still a good watch.

If some of these changes do end up coming to be, it would be interesting to see what affect it would have on URI basketball and the A10 in general.

http://www.hbo.com/vice/episodes/05/60- ... index.html
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Vice: End of Amateurism

Unread post by reef »

I also heard there is a showtime documentary about the 2003 cover up murder of Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehey

They say Dave Bliss is the scum of the earth and now he is coaching again !!!!
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I watched the documentary last night on Showtime. It's called 'Discraced'. What a fitting name. Dave Bliss is the most despicable human being in college sports. The fact that he's still coaching on the collegiate level is unfathomable.

One of his assistant coaches at Baylor recorded him instructing his players to lie about how one of their teammates (Dennehy) mysteriously died in order to cover up the fact that Bliss was paying this player under the table during his time at Baylor. Essentially Bliss tried to cover up major NCAA violations, including improper payments to players, by painting Dennehy as a drug dealer. Disgusting.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I got that on the DVR still as well. Definitely looks interesting.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NJRhodyFan wrote:I watched the documentary last night on Showtime. It's called 'Discraced'. What a fitting name. Dave Bliss is the most despicable human being in college sports. The fact that he's still coaching on the collegiate level is unfathomable.

One of his assistant coaches at Baylor recorded him instructing his players to lie about how one of their teammates (Dennehy) mysteriously died in order to cover up the fact that Bliss was paying this player under the table during his time at Baylor. Essentially Bliss tried to cover up major NCAA violations, including improper payments to players, by painting Dennehy as a drug dealer. Disgusting.
I think the better way to describe what he did is that he tried to cover up (or at least complicate the investigation of) a MURDER of one of his players by another one of his players, so that he wouldn't get tripped up in NCAA violations. Think about what a vile human being you have to be to have your priorities that out of whack.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dave Bliss scum of the earth. Should have a lifetime ban if not be in jail
0 x