Game #12: St. Mary's College - In Game!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Re: Game #12: St. Mary's College - In Game!!

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Questionable officiating all game... Start the bs chant
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhody got out rebounded and outplayed this game, but the officiating has been terrible as well. Come on man! Damn zebras.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
jasonchorn22
Jim Eitner

Unread post by jasonchorn22 »

munford and nik are short on everything!!
0 x
BH06
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BH06 »

Rhody had no chance with the way they rebounded, but some of the BS calls makes me wonder if Vegas knew how these refs were going to call this game... Or the refs were paying too much attention to the spread...
0 x
"Success is how you bounce on the bottom." - Gen George S. Patton
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Good news is we can leave these clown announcers to the gaels. Couldve won this game let the pace get out of control and we got tired. From a stat perspective we dont want to get into a shootout with any team this year given the lack of depth of scorers this year. Easier said than done but we really need to be mindful of this. When we control the pace our defense is stronger and we dont lose too much on offense.
Last edited by RhodeIslandBred 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Steve just said Jerry D was at the game, now I get why we got blown out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

42-17 rebounds!!! There's your game.
Refs sucked, bigtime, too.
Looked like Munford and Powell and not much else.
Nik was a no show, with on 3 pointer.
We played well for 15 minutes or so, and died.
Had it down to 6 and the ball in the second half and got
blown out from there.
Absolutely could not stop St. Mary's inside. One of the most lopsided interior games
I've ever seen.
This was the worst game since VATech. PC was at least close at the end of the half.
Very disappointing performance.
Hey, I paid the $7.95 just not to screw up my computer. I can listen to these idiots for a whole month!
Jerry D must've felt like it was old times, with us getting waffled.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Officiating? Get real, guys. Being outrebounded 40-13 and outscored 36-4 off the bench has nothing to do with the three guys in stripes. Saint Mary's is a superb program with four returning starters and tons of NCAA experience. Bury the sour grapes and give credit where it's due.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

3wisemen wrote:Officiating? Get real, guys. Being outrebounded 40-13 and outscored 36-4 off the bench has nothing to do with the three guys in stripes. Saint Mary's is a superb program with four returning starters and tons of NCAA experience. Bury the sour grapes and give credit where it's due.
Officiating definitely wasnt the key to the game but it didnt help us either. But we need better rebounding and a controlled tempo to win this game. We will play other physical teams this year dh needs to use this as a teaching tool before we get to conference play. Obviously you cant teach size but there were rebounds lost due to lack of effort no boxing out.
Last edited by RhodeIslandBred 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jasonchorn22
Jim Eitner

Unread post by jasonchorn22 »

13 rebounds that has to be close to the fewest team rebounds in a game in ncaa history. I realize our posts are not offensive threats but have to get the ball inside more to open lanes and get more open shots for the perimeter guys. 75% of our threes are with hands in the faces of our shooters and we still shot well from the 3. Imagine if we could actually get these guys open.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I saw a lot of open 3's for SMC too. They shot 42% from three. SMC also MADE twice as many FT's than URI attempted.
Last edited by RhodyKyle 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

RhodyKyle wrote:I saw a lot of open 3's for SMC too. They shot 42% from three. SMC also MADE more FT's than URI attempted.
Defense was good for first ten minutes of the game but then rhody looks like it lost its defensive intensity, maybe due to travel, being tired? Either way we need a much better effort to win.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Can someone show Hare how to shoot with two hands above his head?
He tosses the ball at the hoop with one hand. Awful technique.
The goons on the St. Mary's broadcast said 42-17 rebounds.
Yeah, has to be the lowest total I've ever heard of.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

RhodeIslandBred wrote:Defense was good for first ten minutes of the game but then rhody looks like it lost its defensive intensity, maybe due to travel, being tired? Either way we need a much better effort to win.
I really think it stemmed from being tired. They were allowed to travel home for Christmas and then had to return to campus Christmas night and they flew to CA the next morning.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Could be.
I don't recall some of the terrible passes, and
feeble efforts in the paint, in other games.
They just died after the 15 minute mark.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A lot of disparity in the rebounding totals... I had 41-16. Either way, it was less than 20, which is completely inexcusable. Forget officiating, travel, fatigue, etc. - that can't happen again. And I trust that it won't.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey, I paid the $7.95 just not to screw up my computer. I can listen to these idiots for a whole month!
Lucky you ;)
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

It looked like a lot of the missed shots (especially their 3's) were front-rimmed; showing signs of tired legs.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When MikeA isn't there, DanH has his choice of two soft rebounders in Ryan and Jordan. MikA's presences forces Jordan or Ryan to be more aggressive if they want to play. Embarrassing effort off the boards. How can Hare commit only 1 PF in 29 minutes while we are getting hammered inside? Nik gave us 32 minutes of nothing. Andre, X and Mike did fine and TJ played good D off the bench.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Man URI couldnt even cover 20 after leading late in the 1st half ?? I am livid
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Outrebounded 40-13
Powell and Munford each played 38 minutes and had a total of 1 rebound between them
St Mary's Bench outrebounded our entire team 19-13.
Nik played 32 minutes with 3 rebounds and 1-7 fg's
James Walker III, a 6'3" Junior Guard, who only broke into the Starting Line Up 6 games ago, played 27 minutes and had 8 rebounds, 14 point snad hit 4-5 three pointers
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote:Outrebounded 40-13
It was "only" 42-17 if you count team rebounds. So there is that.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Correct on the 42-17 that includes team rebounds, otherwise Rhody players ended up with 13 - the same number Lamar Odom grabbed last night in an NBA game in only 29 minutes of play. Munford had zero in 38 minutes, Powell had 1 in 38 minutes. Hare led the team with 4.
Maybe this week's practices focus on boxing out from all 5 positions. Projo says today that the starting lineups for both teams averaged 6'5" so it's not like height made a difference.

Saint Mary's (Cal) 82, Rhode Island Associated Press
MORAGA, Calif. -- Stephen Holt scored 17 points, leading five players in double figures, to help St. Mary's beat Rhode Island 82-59 Thursday night.
Holt was 5 of 12 from the field and had six rebounds. Matthew Dellavedova had a double-double with 12 points and 10 assists.
James Walker III had 14 points, shooting 4 of 5 from 3-point range, and a team-high eight rebounds. Beau Levesque scored 14 points, and Mitchell Young had 10 for the Gaels (9-3)
St. Mary's led 35-26 at halftime and never looked back. The Gaels outrebounded the Rams 42-17 :( and shot 52.7 percent from the field for the game. Rhode Island shot 43.4 percent.
Xavier Munford led the Rams (4-8) with 20 points. Andre Malone and Mike Powell had 12 points apiece. Jordan Hare had four rebounds.
The Rams won the lone previous meeting between the two schools, an 81-74 decision on Jan. 2, 1996.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

We play brown next and I don't see rebounding as an issue in that game (although I haven't checked their lineup); however the Rams are going to keep this game in the back of their minds as we will have to have that toughness to compete with bigger teams down the road. Not saying were are going to dominate on the boards but we at least must be competitive.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Gaels average hieght is 6'5", same as ours.
Rebounding isn't always about size. It's about effort and
technique.
It's why a guy like Kevin Love is so much better than all other 6'10" and over players in
the NBA, or why 6'8" Dennis Rodman dominated the NBA in rebounding.
Last night was shocking.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I saw Minnis listed in the boxscore. Was he dressed? I didn't watch the game.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

CTRamfan wrote:I saw Minnis listed in the boxscore. Was he dressed? I didn't watch the game.
Minnis gets thrown in from time to time by error.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Rod. I agree it was a step backwards. You recall Art Stephenson, of course, an undersized center even back then. Charles Barkley was a great rebounder who was about 6-4 and 260. Antonio Reynolds Dean was tough on the boards at 6-5 or so. I remember Paul Silas listed at 6-7 but closer to 6-5 as a fierce rebounder.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rebounding is a lost part of the game, like the mid range jumper.
You don't see guys go up in traffic on defense and rip the ball for a rebound.
Rebounding to these players is trying for the slam followup to get on Sports Center.
Stephanson averaged 16.2 REBOUNDS a game in his senior year. Marvin Barnes averaged 18 rebounds a game.
Where did these numbers go? Certainly isn't because players are shooting better and there's less rebounds.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'm too young to remember Stephenson but saw Barnes play a lot. He was the prototype for a power forward, about 6-9 and 225.
He should have had a hall of fame career. But we all know what happened. He's still popping up in the police blotter. What is he now? Almost 60?
0 x