Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Unread post by steviep123 »

I had posted this in the Coaching Carousel thread (at the end of page 21), but didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle. Good interview, nearly 11 minutes:

Dan Hurley Interview on the Gio & Jones Show (on CBS Radio)

Much more than just the Gio & Jones tweet:

Also discussed that he was hired to not only bring us to this point, but also to build a sustained level of success. He mentioned there have been great times and "pockets of success" (specifically mentioning 98 and 88 teams, but he wants to build and maintain something great and make URI a national player in March.

They also asked him questions on the final four teams and the match ups and had some really good points on each time and the games. Well worth a listen.

Mods, sorry if I'm breaking the rules by posting twice, but I felt this deserved it's own thread. Or is there a thread of Hurley/Bjorn interviews this could equally be put in?
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Hurley's Interview on the Gio & Jones Show (CBS Sports Radio)

Unread post by theblueram »

The last six weeks of the season showed DH can adapt and change his coaching style. I think he grew more as a coach in the end of the year than the players improved. He is becoming a really great coach. Can't wait for next season.
7 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote:The last six weeks of the season showed DH can adapt and change his coaching style. I think he grew more as a coach in the end of the year than the players improved. He is becoming a really great coach. Can't wait for next season.
Could not agree more! It's tough to remember he has only been coaching college ball for 7 years, the first 4 of which he didn't really have anything close to top 25 talent. We feel he was slow to adjust, but he made adjustments. If we see the DH from the end of the season from here out, watch out!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Whenever you hear Dan open his mouth, in public or private, I can't fathom how anyone wouldn't want this guy leading our program forever.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:Whenever you hear Dan open his mouth, in public or private, I can't fathom how anyone wouldn't want this guy leading our program forever.
Agree.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:Whenever you hear Dan open his mouth, in public or private, I can't fathom how anyone wouldn't want this guy leading our program forever.
Agree.
I always listen to all of the Coach's Shows and the is one on my favorite threads in Keaney Blue. ATP does a great job of posting the links on a regular basis.
Dan often has assistant coaches on as well as players.
I would encourage everyone to go back and listen to these shows if you never have.
I liked the show when Dan had Jeff Dowtin about mid seaso. Also was a very interesting show shortly thereafter when Dan had Stanford Robinson on. There was also a show when Antonio Reynolds-Dean was the guest and they talked a lot about Cyril Langevine, Mike Tertsea and Mike Layssard. Dan and especially ARD talked a lot about their progress and their potential. Was an excellent show.
Dan is always straightforward, humorous and interesting to listen to.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... &start=950
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm trying to figure out how the timing of this interview (Wednesday morning) plays into the contract/Georgetown situation.

Dan ultimately decides what non-URI media spots he does. What is the benefit to him for doing this interview at that time? It's not going to make a Georgetown want him more. It's not going to affect his wallet. It may have a minimal national branding bump for him and URI Basketball.

I remember that Dan broke his silence last time on another national radio show (some Saturday morning ESPN show) once all was settled and he was staying in Kingston.

Other than last year when he had the coach's show at George's in the middle of the Rutgers thing (he's contracted to do that), he has kept radio silence (pun intended) through these periods. This year, he bowed out of a previously scheduled interview with program-friendly Dan Yorke this past Monday.

For me, I will take this as a positive that he will stay and continue to build in Kingston something very special.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I won't ever forget Dan barging through the front doors of the library with 5 boxes of Kingston pizza, and it was good that day.
6 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Hurley was on the Adam Schein show on Mag Dog Radio earlier today. I just found out about 4 hours late, so didn't listen. If I can find a link to a replay I'll post it. Or if anyone can beat me to it, go ahead.

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It should post to SoundCloud soon, but it's not there yet. His previous interviews with Schein are all available on Soundcloud and we've posted them here.

Thanks for the heads up!!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Dan Hurley's Interviews on CBS Sports Radio and Mad Dog Radio

Here's the Dan Hurley on the "Going Deep with Amani & Dan" on NBC Radio.

Hurley on Going Deep with Amani & Dan on NBC Radio

Thanks to Ace for posting it originally in the Coaching Carousel thread!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Moderators, can anyone edit a title of a thread? Perhaps this one could be renamed to be "Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews" or something to that affect.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

From the 11:20 mark on in the NBC Sports Radio interview he was asked about being mentioned in coaching vacancies, particularly his name being floated around the Georgetown opening. While not denying anything, and you can never say never, I think (imho) it is pretty clear he's not really looking to go anywhere. He talked about how he had some great players coming back, and actually spoke to Shaka Smart on how he grew things every year. He said "I'm excited to hopefully keep RI in the position to play in that tournament every year." Dan (show host) said, "so you want to essentially be Gonzaga of the east" (paraphrasing). Hurley replied with, "yeah, that would be great. I think the place has amazing potential to do it, but there's a heavy commitment that comes with that, and a heavy investment, but it's certainly worth it." (again paraprhasing, though I think I have it close). He want on to say the state was so excited and pumped up during the run and what a great state it is.

Please listen and form your own conclusions. Maybe he's saying to himself what he's said to his early recruits. "You could merely help a national contender win another championship or you can come with me and help me turn URI into one." (paraphrasing). Maybe he's thinking, "I can turn a national power back into form, or I can continue on this path of awakening a sleeping giant at URI."
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Stevie, I came away with the same thoughts. His focus is on URI's future. While there is always the possibility of moving on, he's not talking like he's got a foot out the door.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Unread post by RF1 »

Weekdays at 7:30 on myRITV, Midnight on FOX Providence

Link to watch online (likely not available until it airs first):
http://foxprovidence.com/category/local ... e-of-mind/
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote:Moderators, can anyone edit a title of a thread? Perhaps this one could be renamed to be "Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews" or something to that affect.
Thanks mods for changing the title!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Sounds like an announcement to me might be coming...
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Great interviews. Thanks for posting. Dan's taking a well-deserved victory lap, and I'm learning more about what makes him tick. Looking forward to Dan Yorke tonight.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He mentions St. Anthony's in all the interviews, so I presume it's as much to raise money for them as it is to promote URI.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Good show with Yorke. It's on again at midnight on 64.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I like what I heard on the Yorke interview regarding further building of the program and getting fannies in the seats....,
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Watched Hurley on Yorke's show tonight. Nothing earth shattering or really new. Confirmed that he was working on an extension. Did not discuss other jobs or rule out leaving. All discussion however was about him continuing at URI and what needed to be done to maintain and increase success. Talked about further investment in the program. He mentioned three areas for improvement: recruiting, travel, and scheduling. Specifically mentioned that few at large teams play three road games as they did this year. Indicated that budget played a part in that as funds were limited for buy games. Said URI basketball had the potential for sustained success. Thought attendance will be much better next year with the opener banner raising game the barometer for the rest of the season. Seemed very relaxed for Dan Hurley. He seemed to be comfortable and gave the impression that he really enjoyed the ride of the last month.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

He did say Fatts and his team knows already where he will be.

He challenged our fans to fill the Ryan Center on opening night to raise the two banners. He said that we will all know where we stand based on opening night attendance.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Well from all reports DH was in Hershey, PA for Fatts championship game & he said tonight when asked by Yorke how he went about answering the Russell family's question of him staying or going by saying "if I'm not at your game Saturday you should be concerned..."

Looks like we got our answer. DH isn't going to call a presser to announce he's staying, but DYSOM tonight was as close as we're gonna get!

#Hurley4Governor
4 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote:Watched Hurley on Yorke's show tonight. Nothing earth shattering or really new. Confirmed that he was working on an extension. Did not discuss other jobs or rule out leaving. All discussion however was about him continuing at URI and what needed to be done to maintain and increase success. Talked about further investment in the program. He mentioned recruiting, travel, and scheduling. Specifically mentioned that few at large teams play three road games as they did this year. Indicated that budget played a part in that as funds were limited for buy games. Seemed very relaxed for Dan Hurley. He seemed to be comfortable and gave the impression that he really enjoyed the ride of the last month.
Did you miss the part about him talking with the Russell family regarding him leaving??

See my above comment bro
Last edited by NorthernRamFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
RF1 wrote:Watched Hurley on Yorke's show tonight. Nothing earth shattering or really new. Confirmed that he was working on an extension. Did not discuss other jobs or rule out leaving. All discussion however was about him continuing at URI and what needed to be done to maintain and increase success. Talked about further investment in the program. He mentioned recruiting, travel, and scheduling. Specifically mentioned that few at large teams play three road games as they did this year. Indicated that budget played a part in that as funds were limited for buy games. Seemed very relaxed for Dan Hurley. He seemed to be comfortable and gave the impression that he really enjoyed the ride of the last month.
Did you miss the part about him talking with the Russell family regarding him leaving??

See my above comment bro

He basically told Russell that if he was in Hershey for his game that weekend, he knew where he would be in the future.

The episode is now available online for those that would like to see at:

Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As far as his own salary, it's not about him being the highest paid coach in the conference. It's all about winning. Will the school continue to invest to make this program great? He wants the resources to make URI a perennial NCAA tourney team. That's his number one concern.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:

See my above comment bro

He basically told Russell that if he was in Hershey for his game that weekend, he knew where he would be in the future.

The episode is now available online for those that would like to see at:

Correct and then he went on to say Daron is going to be great as a Ram
Last edited by NorthernRamFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another new item. Dan has said he won't coach past the age of 50. That has changed. He's going to coach for a long time.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Billyboy78 wrote:As far as his own salary, it's not about him being the highest paid coach in the conference. It's all about winning. Will the school continue to invest to make this program great? He wants the resources to make URI a perennial NCAA tourney team. That's his number one concern.
Can we sneak it into a referendum? The voters in this state approve everything. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Billyboy, that will be the issue for a while I think...URI isn't going to commit the house just yet [they can't], but a little at a time...and that also depends on Dan bringing his teams to the dance....one hand washes the other so to speak.

It's clear he and his staff need a bigger recruiting budget, more charters for recruiting and the team, and as for scheduling that's up to him.

My only major concern is...does Dan think URI needs to invest in a BB only practice facility, either new or by renovating Tootell?

If so, that's big bucks that URI doesn't have. The horse will have to come before the cart to get that done imo....as in more NCAAT's.

The_one_mike....that trip to the State House imo was laying the groundwork for bigger and better things for the program....get the legislature on board...now that would be a fait d'accompli if there ever was one.

If URI can deliver the goods for the program, then I can see Dan staying a long time....if not, then he could be gone if the next big time program comes calling after next season...whether or not we dance again.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We get one shot at convincing Hurley we share his ambition.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The fact that it's taking a while to get this extension done, tells me that Dan and URI may not see eye to eye on everything he needs...at least in the short term....of course Dan should know that the school can't deliver everything at once.

There will be a compromise imo.....things will get done, but over a period of time. Both coach and school share the same ambition at least.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

the_one_mike wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:As far as his own salary, it's not about him being the highest paid coach in the conference. It's all about winning. Will the school continue to invest to make this program great? He wants the resources to make URI a perennial NCAA tourney team. That's his number one concern.
Can we sneak it into a referendum? The voters in this state approve everything. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not true. There was a bond referendum in 2004 for just 6.7M toward athletic facility enhancements at URI that was soundly rejected (67.5%) by RI voters:

2004 bond question which went down to defeat:

Approval of referendum 10 will authorize $6.7 million to construct an Athletic Performance Center at the Kingston campus and renovate facilities at Meade Stadium and Keaney Gymnasium.

"An Athletic Performance Center is important to the success of our athletic programs to physically prepare athletes for intercollegiate competition, to provide training to prevent injuries, and to properly rehabilitate injuries," said URI Athletic Director Tom McElroy. "And expansion of the Academic Advising and Study Center will help further URI's commitment to academic excellence for its student-athletes. "

The state-of-the art center will house a weight training room, aerobic fitness area, rehabilitation area, hydrotherapy station, and offices for training staff and strength coaches. In addition, the academic advising and study center in Keaney Gymnasium will be expanded to include an updated computer lab and tutoring rooms, and the athletic training and sports medicine area in Keaney will be updated and improved. At Meade Stadium, the west stands will be rebuilt and the east stands will be renovated.

2004 Election Results
http://www.elections.ri.gov/elections/r ... ummary.php
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another radio appearance

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rambone 78 wrote:My only major concern is...does Dan think URI needs to invest in a BB only practice facility, either new or by renovating Tootell?

If so, that's big bucks that URI doesn't have.
I think there is some new high net worth donor the Foundation is wooing to get some seed money to develop a basketball only facility. No idea who this person is or if they've opened their wallet, but the fine folks in the Athletic Development area are working their asses off trying to find new sources of donations.
Last edited by RhodyKyle 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would imagine it would cost less to renovate a portion of Tootell, then it would to build a stand alone facility.

Hopefully they will come up with something.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Listened to the show. Dan said he thinks they're close on the extension. He talked about Fatts a little bit and what en exciting player he is. The improvements he is looking for include making it a better experience for the players and making it easier to recruit. He said he still has recruiting to do to fill gaps and also has a couple of young big guys hungry for playing time. Not much else. About a 15 minute interview.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BTW, Dan has certainly done his part in promoting the program. Between local radio and TV, and national radio, he's been a very busy guy this past week.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:Listened to the show. Dan said he thinks they're close on the extension. He talked about Fatts a little bit and what en exciting player he is. The improvements he is looking for include making it a better experience for the players and making it easier to recruit. He said he still has recruiting to do to fill gaps and also has a couple of young big guys hungry for playing time. Not much else. About a 15 minute interview.
All sounds good to me. And I think it's time to put the rumors about GTown to rest.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Listened to the show. Dan said he thinks they're close on the extension. He talked about Fatts a little bit and what en exciting player he is. The improvements he is looking for include making it a better experience for the players and making it easier to recruit. He said he still has recruiting to do to fill gaps and also has a couple of young big guys hungry for playing time. Not much else. About a 15 minute interview.
All sounds good to me. And I think it's time to put the rumors about GTown to rest.
GTown wasn't even mentioned.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I guess Dan to GT was "fake news" after all.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....so; what is the ideal basketball practice facility? What design features; two courts? Mulitiple portable hoops? Weight room? video room? classroom? Medical, PT area?......shared with WBB?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:Billyboy, that will be the issue for a while I think...URI isn't going to commit the house just yet [they can't], but a little at a time...and that also depends on Dan bringing his teams to the dance....one hand washes the other so to speak.

It's clear he and his staff need a bigger recruiting budget, more charters for recruiting and the team, and as for scheduling that's up to him.

My only major concern is...does Dan think URI needs to invest in a BB only practice facility, either new or by renovating Tootell?

If so, that's big bucks that URI doesn't have. The horse will have to come before the cart to get that done imo....as in more NCAAT's.

The_one_mike....that trip to the State House imo was laying the groundwork for bigger and better things for the program....get the legislature on board...now that would be a fait d'accompli if there ever was one.

If URI can deliver the goods for the program, then I can see Dan staying a long time....if not, then he could be gone if the next big time program comes calling after next season...whether or not we dance again.
A state of the art bb practice facility will require multiple NCAA trips to fund.

I do not believe the voters of this state would approve a referendum to fund such a project.

Certainly friartown would campaign against it
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote:.....so; what is the ideal basketball practice facility? What design features; two courts? Mulitiple portable hoops? Weight room? video room? classroom? Medical, PT area?......shared with WBB?

A dedicated basketball practice facility is probably a long way off in Kingston. The price tags for these facilities run in the tens of millions (Umass 22M to UConn 40M). Most are solely for basketball with separate men's and women's wings. They typically have full practice courts, offices, conference rooms, seminar a/v rooms, weight-rooms, sports medicine centers, kitchens, and player lounges/dining/study areas.

Here are some examples of three that recently opened:

UMass
53,000sf 22M
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... baske.html

VCU
62,000sf 25M
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... b2e17.html

UCONN
75,000sf 40M
http://www.foundation.uconn.edu/werth-f ... ns-center/
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Really enjoyed the Yorke interview.

The team will be really good next year if they get it right. Could really provide a springboard for a sustained period of great basketball for us.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
O(+>
Jim Eitner

Unread post by O(+> »

You know what program has a state of the art, brand-new practice facility?

Georgetown

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sport ... 19541.html
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

O(+> wrote:You know what program has a state of the art, brand-new practice facility?

Georgetown

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sport ... 19541.html

A very nice 61M dollar 144,000sf facility named for JT2 that just opened this past October. Georgetown is still however without a nice on campus arena as is the case with the schools referenced above (UMass/VCU/UConn).
1 x