Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Unread post by section(105) »

......wow!!......those four examples of practice facilities are amazing and agree anything close to that is no doubt a long way off, even "Thinking Bigly"......for us the Tootell repurpose of existing space, without eliminating other important aspects of other programs or recreational offerings might be the way to go....let me ask, is the desire to have one of these dedicated facilities more keeping up with the big boys than having a practice floor not available due to concerts and home shows??......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan Hurley 103.7 FM WEEI Interview 04/01/17 with Scott Cordischi and Jason Taravella

http://media.weei.com/a/118909708/sne-s ... -01-17.htm
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote:......wow!!......those four examples of practice facilities are amazing and agree anything close to that is no doubt a long way off, even "Thinking Bigly"......for us the Tootell repurpose of existing space, without eliminating other important aspects of other programs or recreational offerings might be the way to go....let me ask, is the desire to have one of these dedicated facilities more keeping up with the big boys than having a practice floor not available due to concerts and home shows??......
I don't understand that either. An on campus facility in which to practice with a state of the art training facility and offices. Don't we already have that? I would think there are much better ways to spend those tens of millions of dollars. Maybe I'm not thinking big, but I don't understand the need for it. How many times a year is the RC not available for practice? And even if it's 10-15 or so days per season, isn't Keaney good enough for those few times when the RC is not available?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......wow!!......those four examples of practice facilities are amazing and agree anything close to that is no doubt a long way off, even "Thinking Bigly"......for us the Tootell repurpose of existing space, without eliminating other important aspects of other programs or recreational offerings might be the way to go....let me ask, is the desire to have one of these dedicated facilities more keeping up with the big boys than having a practice floor not available due to concerts and home shows??......
I don't understand that either. An on campus facility in which to practice with a state of the art training facility and offices. Don't we already have that? I would think there are much better ways to spend those tens of millions of dollars. Maybe I'm not thinking big, but I don't understand the need for it. How many times a year is the RC not available for practice? And even if it's 10-15 or so days per season, isn't Keaney good enough for those few times when the RC is not available?

Most of these other schools also had arenas or gyms that they could practice at. They however wanted something solely dedicated to the basketball programs available to coaches and players 24/7. Their biggest benefit may however be tied to their impact on impressionable young recruits that are blown away when they visit. I think that is a big reason there is now an arms race to build these types of facilities.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Great question, Billyboy.
Like PC has the newly refurbished Alumni Hall,
so why did they need a separate new facility to practice in?
Keaney is still a fine place to practice if the Ryan isn't available.
Oh, wait. There's no player''s lounge! Horrors!
It's become a "keeping up with the Joneses" kind of deal.
The Neighbor gets a new car, so now you have to have one, too.
There are a few courts in Tootell, which could be refurbished,
and dolled up.
But, nooooo! It has to be a free standing building, with all
the bells and whistles.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Remember when Al Skinner's office was in an old trailer next to the bubble.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

So the School can ask for 64m in bonds for a refurbished arts center but 20% that amount is too much to enhance your schools marquee athletics program facilities?

Not to be a dick but the MBB program is essential for the schools future OTOH I used to hang out with the art school types when I was in HS/college and I never met one who ever even considered URI in the slightest.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

To me the multi million $$ bb practice facility is kinda like sneaker contracts. Ridiculous. How does this kind of stuff even get started?

We claim to have a 1AA football program. The Permian Panthers would refuse to play at Meade.

It's a crazy world.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As far as the training facility, I might be wrong, but I'm guessing the guys on the basketball team don't mind sharing it with the women's basketball team, the women's volleyball team, the women's swim team, etc., etc., etc.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

It does sound ridiculous but it's all about recruiting and the message you are sending.. The fact of the matter is that if you don't have a practice facility or plans for one then you are falling behind other programs...
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why don't we just build a practice facility with 15 or so bedrooms, a huge kitchen, maybe a few classrooms, a nice movie theater, maybe a bowling alley? That way the kids would never have to leave the building.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....bring in a JWU chef.....and we turn the student athlete into the athlete student.....somewhere there has to to be balance.....RoadyJay has a point......the message to us start digging deeper into our pockets....we have already dug deep into our hearts.....parking fees anyone??.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It would be nice if we could get to the point soon where we don't have to go thru this after every season...as in is Dan leaving and to where?

Has Mark Few had offers to leave every season since Gonzaga started making the NCAAT every year?

My guess is he has more often than not.....and it will be the same here....the life of the mid major.

We'll see how far URI is willing to go, to satisfy what Dan wants. It's going to take at least a few years to get Rhody at a Dayton or VCU level.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
I wasn't going to make comment on this post and then I read your most recent post and just shook my head saying "this person has no realistic idea as to what goes into recruiting today..."

You made a comment about a bball only dorm... guess what UK has exactly that... Jay makes the point that more people need to understand. From what I've heard plans were put in front of Dan before the season and the ground breaking date was discussed and then... nothing. As Bill Koch wrote "it's time to capitalize on this momentum"
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Theres Keaney,Mackel,The RYanand tootell. Can't they renovate some of the older gyms they already use?
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Its against the rules to have a basketball team only dorm. There are articles and pieces out there covering how Kentucky does it. Usually the non basketball player students are the children of the big donors and people that have clout.

Kentucky is the top of the pyramid in that sort of thing. (I know others have them like Kansas)Its seen as a symbol of their over the top commitment.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

These are always my favorite debates:

Why do we need a basketball only facility...there was a trailer outside of Keaney blah blahhhh. This is the equivalent of your grandfather wondering why you need to use the Internet when he had books back in his day and he turned out fine.

Thank god most of this fan base doesn't make decisions in Kingston.

Everyone wants to eat lobster but no one wants to smell the bait.

This is what it takes to win in college basketball today. You want to keep a coach like Dan Hurley? You like winning? Doing things the way we used to doesn't work.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Theres Keaney,Mackel,The RYanand tootell. Can't they renovate some of the older gyms they already use?
My understanding is that all of those gyms get a significant amount of use between other sports teams, club sports, student activities, etc.

But again, the benefit isn't really about having the space itself.

The benefit is in the message we would be sending to recruits. The message we would be sending to their AAU coaches/parents/handlers about our commitment to basketball at Rhode Island. Are we all in and willing to commit to do what it takes to be the "Gonzaga of the East"? Or are we just a program flirting with greatness and are content with the success we just experienced this season?

Has anyone seen VCU's practice facility? This is what we are competing with... After watching the video let me know if you still want to renovate Tootell.

Last edited by RoadyJay 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I just don't see it happening when our 1AA football team calls a joke stadium home.

Drop football down to a lower conference or drop it entirely and maybe.

Can't do a bb facility first and keep our football team at the level where it is.

PC isn't a valid compare here....no football no baseball facilities.
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from 2 years ago on 10 practice facilities......

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/ind ... low_r.html
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I think the more realistic plans are to carve out a section of Tootell and renovate that and build an addition onto the building (rather than building a stand-alone structure). They would have all of the amenities people want but it just would be built into an already existing structure. The idea was to have a sky-bridge connecting the basketball-only facility directly to the Ryan Center.

As long as the amenities are there, I'm not sure how much stock recruits will put into whether it's a free-standing building or an attachment to the athletic buildings. It will still be a dedicated practice space for basketball with lounges, film rooms, etc.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....sometimes you get what you need, which might in this case be less than you want....Thorr and company on campus figure out what is readily achievable regarding a practice facility's current and realistic resources and then kick off a plan......Key is what they can realistically get done......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

hrstrat57 wrote:I just don't see it happening when our 1AA football team calls a joke stadium home.

Can't do a bb facility first and keep our football team at the level where it is.

And here we are back to the football argument?

How does that affect basketball?

Considering basketball drives the bus here, it's our flagship program, it's the only thing that is capable of uniting the whole state and turning their eyes to kingston for a few weeks in march...Yeah, you can. Get good enough at basketball and you can build a new football stadium

The argument I've seen with football is you can't invest in Meade because the team sucks...but the good team we do have shouldn't get anything to keep them competing at a high level because their not good team has crap facilities?

I swear does anyone realize that URI basketball is extremely far behind when it to these type of investments? That requesting things like this aren't even putting us ahead, they're catching us up? Do you think it's a coincidence that the first class that came in and ended the NCAA drought happened to come in when the weight room was upgraded and opened 4 years ago?

There is so much knowledge and foresight on this board it is staggering. (Sarcastic emoji)
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

drop football, tear down that piece of shit Meade Stadium and build the practice facility on it connected to the Ryan. 2 birds, 1 stone
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thor has already said he is not dropping football.
Done.Case closed. The man said it.
Why continue to bring up a subject that he closed?
You could write him if you think that would help.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RoadJay, I completely agree, I'm just being realistic with what I would expect to happen rather than what I wish could happen,hopefully I'm wrong though. So yes, there really needs to be a new practice facility at URI. It would sustain this program for years.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For Dan to stay beyond next year, my guess is URI will have to have concrete plans for a BB practice facility of some kind.

That's the 900 lb. gorilla in the room. Big bucks.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:I just don't see it happening when our 1AA football team calls a joke stadium home.

And here we are back to the football argument?

How does that affect basketball?

Considering basketball drives the bus here, it's our flagship program, it's the only thing that is capable of uniting the whole state and turning their eyes to kingston for a few weeks in march...Yeah, you can. Get good enough at basketball and you can build a new football stadium

The argument I've seen with football is you can't invest in Meade because the team sucks...but the good team we do have shouldn't get anything to keep them competing at a high level because their not good team has crap facilities?

I swear does anyone realize that URI basketball is extremely far behind when it to these type of investments? That requesting things like this aren't even putting us ahead, they're catching us up? Do you think it's a coincidence that the first class that came in and ended the NCAA drought happened to come in when the weight room was upgraded and opened 4 years ago?

There is so much knowledge and foresight on this board it is staggering. (Sarcastic emoji)
We will never make enough in men's basketball to cover the $20-30 million it will take to make Meade viable. We need that theory to die.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote:I think the more realistic plans are to carve out a section of Tootell and renovate that and build an addition onto the building (rather than building a stand-alone structure). They would have all of the amenities people want but it just would be built into an already existing structure. The idea was to have a sky-bridge connecting the basketball-only facility directly to the Ryan Center.

As long as the amenities are there, I'm not sure how much stock recruits will put into whether it's a free-standing building or an attachment to the athletic buildings. It will still be a dedicated practice space for basketball with lounges, film rooms, etc.
I think when people are saying stand alone basketball facility they really mean basketball only. I think any basketball facility would be connected to the Ryan Center in some way, much like UMass' facility.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I've grudgingly come around to the idea of a basketball only facility. I still think it's a dumb idea as a building that is an expensive redundancy for facilities we already have. Unfortunately, it's also going to be necessary for us to build one to keep up with other programs when it comes to recruiting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I've grudgingly come around to the idea of a basketball only facility. I still think it's a dumb idea as a building that is an expensive redundancy for facilities we already have. Unfortunately, it's also going to be necessary for us to build one to keep up with other programs when it comes to recruiting.
I'm pretty close to where you are on this RR2, but if Dan Hurley says this is what the program needs to keep up then who am I to argue, just go with the flow at this point.

Also in watching the VCU Video, the Girl's VCU Basketball Team gets to use the facility as well. So that is a plus, or could be.

Dayton was the only Women's Team from the A10 to make the NCAA Tournament. Dayton finished 22-10 (13-3), was a 12-Seed and lost 1st round to 5-Seed Tennessee.
Why not us?
Look no further than Quinnipiac.
Quinnipiac beat Dayton at Dayton early in the season - they beat our best team in the A-10
Quinnipiac finished 29-7 (17-3). As a 12-Seed they upset 5-Seed Marquette and 4-Seed Miami to go to the Sweet 16. They lost to South Carolina but what a run.

We should not be at the bottom of the A10 in Women's Basketball period.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I've grudgingly come around to the idea of a basketball only facility. I still think it's a dumb idea as a building that is an expensive redundancy for facilities we already have. Unfortunately, it's also going to be necessary for us to build one to keep up with other programs when it comes to recruiting.
I'm pretty close to where you are on this RR2, but if Dan Hurley says this is what the program needs to keep up then who am I to argue, just go with the flow at this point.

Also in watching the VCU Video, the Girl's VCU Basketball Team gets to use the facility as well. So that is a plus, or could be.

Dayton was the only Women's Team from the A10 to make the NCAA Tournament. Dayton finished 22-10 (13-3), was a 12-Seed and lost 1st round to 5-Seed Tennessee.
Why not us?
Quinnipiac beat Dayton at Dayton early in the season - they beat our best team in the A-10
Quinnipiac finished 29-7 (17-3). As a 12-Seed they upset 5-Seed Marquette and 4-Seed Miami to go to the Sweet 16. They lost to South Carolina but what a run.

So this post is all over the place, so I'll start at the beginning Dan Hurley wouldn't be the only person pushing for a basketball only facility. If Hurley took another gig and we were just hohum content with making the tourney we'd have a very much smaller pool of coaches to pick from because lesser tactical coaches than Dan wouldn't be able to pull in the recruits against the likes of UD and VCU... nevermind SLU or UMass. Also, this does not mean the WBB team wouldn't have use of the facility, it actually means the opposite and would make us similar to VCU, hence helping DLF compete. She has done much more with less than any other women's coach in some time.

Much of the complaining about building and creating a better experience for our bball student athletes needs to stop because the thought process of yesteryear doesn't work anymore!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we need a lazy river. Indoor though. :lol:
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Maybe the best comp for what we might be looking at is UMass' facility that cost $22 million.

This is a photo gallery of the facility: http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... baske.html

And this is what is included in the building: https://www.umass.edu/dcm/jfkcc
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This is exactly where I am. The idea of setting $20M+ on fire to build a facility we don't need for any practical purposes seems so misguided and wasteful. I honestly find the concept infuriating. But if people who know and understand the culture better than I do say that it is truly necessary to continue to recruit the kind of players we need to recruit to compete at the level we want to compete at, then fine, set the money on fire.

I'd like to think that you could put that kind of money to better use by making all of the things we already have absolutely state-of-the-art and doing all the things we want to do as far as charters and staff budgets and everything else. I'd like to think you could sell recruits on the idea that we have all the components of the facilities other programs have, we just don't have them in a separate physical structure; and that we think we can benefit their experience much more by making everything they do and everywhere they go on a daily basis first-class rather than build a stupid building on the cheap and skimping on other things that actually matter to do it. But I'm not a recruit and I'm not trying to recruit these kids, so I'll leave it to the experts. I just find it so stupid that we have to get caught up in the arms race for no reason other than other teams will make fun of us to recruits if we don't do it, even though there is literally zero practical benefit to building the thing. I feel like I'm in middle school.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NorthernRamFan wrote:
ramster wrote:

Why not us?

So this post is all over the place, so I'll start at the beginning Dan Hurley wouldn't be the only person pushing for a basketball only facility. If Hurley took another gig and we were just hohum content with making the tourney we'd have a very much smaller pool of coaches to pick from because lesser tactical coaches than Dan wouldn't be able to pull in the recruits against the likes of UD and VCU... nevermind SLU or UMass. Also, this does not mean the WBB team wouldn't have use of the facility, it actually means the opposite and would make us similar to VCU, hence helping DLF compete. She has done much more with less than any other women's coach in some time.

Much of the complaining about building and creating a better experience for our bball student athletes needs to stop because the thought process of yesteryear doesn't work anymore!

Northern,
I am agreeing that the Practice Facility needs to be built and I am saying it would benefit the Women's Team too. I watched the VCU Video and say the 2 Women's Team members AND the 2 Men's Team members walk us through the tour of the VCU Practice Facility. They also showed the parts of it that they share. So we agree.

The mention of the Quinnipiac Team's Success is just an example of what a Team can do with less. There is no reason or excuse as to why Quinnipiac can achieve that level of success and URI cannot. Practice facility or no Practice facility.
2 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
This is exactly where I am. The idea of setting $20M+ on fire to build a facility we don't need for any practical purposes seems so misguided and wasteful. I honestly find the concept infuriating. But if people who know and understand the culture better than I do say that it is truly necessary to continue to recruit the kind of players we need to recruit to compete at the level we want to compete at, then fine, set the money on fire.

I'd like to think that you could put that kind of money to better use by making all of the things we already have absolutely state-of-the-art and doing all the things we want to do as far as charters and staff budgets and everything else. I'd like to think you could sell recruits on the idea that we have all the components of the facilities other programs have, we just don't have them in a separate physical structure; and that we think we can benefit their experience much more by making everything they do and everywhere they go on a daily basis first-class rather than build a stupid building on the cheap and skimping on other things that actually matter to do it. But I'm not a recruit and I'm not trying to recruit these kids, so I'll leave it to the experts. I just find it so stupid that we have to get caught up in the arms race for no reason other than other teams will make fun of us to recruits if we don't do it, even though there is literally zero practical benefit to building the thing. I feel like I'm in middle school.
TP,

We don't have all of the things UMass will have or VCU, UD, or even SLU have in terms of facilities. To be quite honest Keaney is a nostalgic, but it's a volleyball facility. It doesn't come close to what should be the facility our guys train in. If this school was smart at the very least they would drain and fill the pool, gut Tootell and rebuild it connecting it to the SADC, which is beautiful. The truth is our flagship program shouldn't have to practice in a dump like Keaney because preparation for a concert or comedy show has booted the team from the Ryan... not in 2017 at least. Unfortunately college sports are an arm race and the phrase "if you build it they will come" rings true when you have everything else in terms of staff and game venue.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I get that basketball facilities are nice eye candy and all but..... Its basketball. You literally just need a hoop to practice. Theres like 15 people on the team max, why does any team ever need multiple facilities. By my count there is: The Ryan center, Keaney, Tootell West and East, and Mackal. All which have multiple courts. And there is already a new weight room and such so that point is moot.

I guess I just dont get it.
Last edited by rhodysurf 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:

The recruiting aspect should be practical enough. If you want to beat teams with players as talented as Oregon's, you need to recruit players as talented as Oregon's.

If you're going to play with the big boys - and we should want to - you need to recruit with the big boys. Or even the third of your conference that now has these facilities. That's the reality.

If that doesn't work for you, I would think the complaining about free throws should be enough. Having a facility with 24/7 access for a basketball player to work on his game should be paramount for this program.

The Ryan Center is not a basketball only facility. There are concerts, home shows, monster truck rallies, graduations, and events that all don't have a court out during it. The time the court isn't available isn't just when there's a show scheduled, it's when it's being set up or taken apart as well. Then when it is up? They also have the women's basketball team to compete with for court time.

Keaney? That has volleyball teams to compete with, as it's the home of the volleyball teams now.

They're not professional athletes, they're student athletes. That means they have other obligations, classes, scheduling conflicts, etc that may get in the way of when they can practice vs when the ryan center is available.

For all the handwringing about free throws or x, y, z aspect of someone's game...wouldn't it be nice if they actually had a place they could go 24 hours a day to work on that?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

TP,

We don't have all of the things UMass will have or VCU, UD, or even SLU have in terms of facilities. To be quite honest Keaney is a nostalgic, but it's a volleyball facility. It doesn't come close to what should be the facility our guys train in. If this school was smart at the very least they would drain and fill the pool, gut Tootell and rebuild it connecting it to the SADC, which is beautiful. The truth is our flagship program shouldn't have to practice in a dump like Keaney because preparation for a concert or comedy show has booted the team from the Ryan... not in 2017 at least. Unfortunately college sports are an arm race and the phrase "if you build it they will come" rings true when you have everything else in terms of staff and game venue.
Drain the pool? What about the swimming and diving teams and the other 15,000 people on campus that may, at some point, want to go for a swim?

My thought is that you don't have to drain the pool and build a $25M structure to give the basketball players what they need (and need is even a stretch - it's more like what compares to other schools). They have the Ryan Center, and on the rare occasion they can't use it, they have Keaney. They have the SADC. The players have a locker room. The coaches have offices.

By all means, if any of those things aren't first-class, spend money on them. Money could be invested in first-class creature comforts like the locker room and a team lounge and that kind of thing. But to me, that the players have to in some cases take a two minute walk (inside, mind you) from one of these things to another is not a $25M problem.

Again, if you want to tell me that the kind of players you need to compete won't even talk to you if you don't have a dedicated building for basketball, then fine. I question the sanity and the character of the kids, but OK. If that is what it takes, I'll throw in my token share to the cause. I will never not think that it is dumb and a complete waste of money. I'd rather pay staff, improve equipment and amenities, travel accommodations, etc., than construct a foolish building.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I became a good free throw shooter practicing in my driveway. ....Anyway, I get that we need stuff like that to recruit against the big boys. Since you can't give them all cars (remember Sly35 ?), I guess we need to give them something legally. I just think it's stupid. So, in conclusion, we don't need a facility like that, but we NEED a facility like that.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:So, in conclusion, we don't need a facility like that, but we NEED a facility like that.
Right, this is basically what it comes down to right here. Whether it is "necessary" or not is a matter of personal opinion, but whether or not we need it to compete at the level we want to compete at is not.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Fascitelli Center is a catchy name....
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

TP,

Drain the pool? What about the swimming and diving teams and the other 15,000 people on campus that may, at some point, want to go for a swim?

My thought is that you don't have to drain the pool and build a $25M structure to give the basketball players what they need (and need is even a stretch - it's more like what compares to other schools). They have the Ryan Center, and on the rare occasion they can't use it, they have Keaney. They have the SADC. The players have a locker room. The coaches have offices.

By all means, if any of those things aren't first-class, spend money on them. Money could be invested in first-class creature comforts like the locker room and a team lounge and that kind of thing. But to me, that the players have to in some cases take a two minute walk (inside, mind you) from one of these things to another is not a $25M problem.

Again, if you want to tell me that the kind of players you need to compete won't even talk to you if you don't have a dedicated building for basketball, then fine. I question the sanity and the character of the kids, but OK. If that is what it takes, I'll throw in my token share to the cause. I will never not think that it is dumb and a complete waste of money. I'd rather pay staff, improve equipment and amenities, travel accommodations, etc., than construct a foolish building.
Let me expand on my statement about draining the pool. I was told by a person in the department of Athletics who's primary job was facilities, guy is pretty high up, that Thorr has had a plan already drafted that gets the MBB/WBB team what they want with a practice facility contacted to both the SADC and the Ryan Center. In listening to this person he made it quite clear that the pool at URI needs much work and it would save millions by filling it, building a new structure during redevelopment of Tootell for BBall and everyone would be happy. This plan was already put forward to DEM and Dig Safe, but no action was taken. Obviously you can just take away the pool, but this plan was very extensive and comprehensive to save the school money and build the required facilities that DH wants.

NOT DIRECTED AT TP: This talk of using Keaney is outdated. The "I became a good free throw shooter in my driveway" is moronic. I bet my top dollar that you weren't a college prospect and I for one am not trying to lose out on a Chris Silva type ever again if it means shelling out some more money...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't care about that particular pool. I don't have an emotional attachment to it. If they put in another pool somewhere then I would be fine with filling that one in.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I love being called a moron......so much for no personal attacks.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billy, if he said "that Billyboy, that guy is a real moron!!!" I would be the first to shut that down. But I think as a group we all need to be a little less sensitive. This is the internet. If someone says something you said was dumb, or stupid, or moronic, that is just internet-speak for "I disagree." While I admit that it isn't the most polite way to communicate, it also is very obviously not personal.

And BTW, I say that here to Billy just because the timing is what it is. I've been meaning to make this point for a while and it applies to a lot of posters here, myself included probably. So, I'm not singling Billy out. We'd all do better to not take things personally.
2 x