Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Dan Hurley's Post 2017 NCAA Radio/TV Interviews

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ok since I guess I've kinda been called stupid too here's my take:

I'm all in on building an elite D1 men's hoop program. 100% let's go!

We have a 1AA football program. In the history of our football program we have had exactly one elite team.
1985 - that's it.

Not good enough. The program now is a water treading embarrassment. The facilities are atrocious. It is a full blown disgrace. A laughingstock.

If we are going to field an NCAA 1AA football team we need to invest in it and improve the facilities. We cannot do that and build a $20-$40 M building to shoot foul shots in, workout in and lounge in. No can do.

So kill football and build our hoops practice palace.

Better win tho or I'll be a pissed off pain in the ass!

We have a brilliant ice hockey facility-state of the art!

Atlantic Hockey invite remains open.

Let's do that too. No practice facility needed.

Go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Has a practice facility even been brought up as needed by Dan or Thorr?
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:I've grudgingly come around to the idea of a basketball only facility. I still think it's a dumb idea as a building that is an expensive redundancy for facilities we already have. Unfortunately, it's also going to be necessary for us to build one to keep up with other programs when it comes to recruiting.
This is exactly where I am. The idea of setting $20M+ on fire to build a facility we don't need for any practical purposes seems so misguided and wasteful. I honestly find the concept infuriating. But if people who know and understand the culture better than I do say that it is truly necessary to continue to recruit the kind of players we need to recruit to compete at the level we want to compete at, then fine, set the money on fire.

I'd like to think that you could put that kind of money to better use by making all of the things we already have absolutely state-of-the-art and doing all the things we want to do as far as charters and staff budgets and everything else. I'd like to think you could sell recruits on the idea that we have all the components of the facilities other programs have, we just don't have them in a separate physical structure; and that we think we can benefit their experience much more by making everything they do and everywhere they go on a daily basis first-class rather than build a stupid building on the cheap and skimping on other things that actually matter to do it. But I'm not a recruit and I'm not trying to recruit these kids, so I'll leave it to the experts. I just find it so stupid that we have to get caught up in the arms race for no reason other than other teams will make fun of us to recruits if we don't do it, even though there is literally zero practical benefit to building the thing. I feel like I'm in middle school.
The recruiting aspect should be practical enough. If you want to beat teams with players as talented as Oregon's, you need to recruit players as talented as Oregon's.

If you're going to play with the big boys - and we should want to - you need to recruit with the big boys. Or even the third of your conference that now has these facilities. That's the reality.

If that doesn't work for you, I would think the complaining about free throws should be enough. Having a facility with 24/7 access for a basketball player to work on his game should be paramount for this program.

The Ryan Center is not a basketball only facility. There are concerts, home shows, monster truck rallies, graduations, and events that all don't have a court out during it. The time the court isn't available isn't just when there's a show scheduled, it's when it's being set up or taken apart as well. Then when it is up? They also have the women's basketball team to compete with for court time.

Keaney? That has volleyball teams to compete with, as it's the home of the volleyball teams now.

They're not professional athletes, they're student athletes. That means they have other obligations, classes, scheduling conflicts, etc that may get in the way of when they can practice vs when the ryan center is available.

For all the handwringing about free throws or x, y, z aspect of someone's game...wouldn't it be nice if they actually had a place they could go 24 hours a day to work on that?
Nut meet shell. Here it is boys and girls. Blue Man has nailed it again. I don't understand why people keep tying the success of football to basketball, but it's apparent that it's not going anywhere as Thorr, Pres Dooley and Jim Flemming have a plan. So I put forward the question can we please stop connecting the two sports? Oh and can we finally get a grip on what big time college athletics is all about? That's right, the student athletes experience... not any of our experiences... our experience of winning is directly connected to these kids.

TP, thank you for recognizing my use of the word moronic as not a personal attack for any poster, but just the fact of my thoughts leading to me to think that person's idea is moronic, not them as a person. Much appreciated.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Big time college athletics is about the student athlete's experience? Hah. that's a good one.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

theblueram wrote:Big time college athletics is about the student athlete's experience? Hah. that's a good one.
Yes, if you'd like to assume I'm only talking about the on court experience you'd be remiss. It's an overall experience. Hence why Kristen Casamento is so important!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NorthernRamFan wrote:
theblueram wrote:Big time college athletics is about the student athlete's experience? Hah. that's a good one.
Yes, if you'd like to assume I'm only talking about the on court experience you'd be remiss. It's an overall experience. Hence why Kristen Casamento is so important!
Tell that to the 50,000 people packing into the Carrier Dome for a Syracuse game. Big time college athletics is about the fans.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Football is here to stay; it's comparison of success/failure to dollars spent for it to basketball is not relevant.....this has been stated in a variety of us in this discussion......moving ice hockey up from Club is not happening in the near future or even longer out.....the costs to high and would require addition costs of another womens program......no news flashes here.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Football as currently played at the University of Rhode Island is an absolute embarrassment. As an alumni of URI I am ashamed of it. it is time to fix it or kill it.

Fixing it will take an investment in Meade Stadium and other facilities and infrastructure of tens of millions of dollars....with no guarantees.

If we keep football and have an extra $20-40M for a hoops practice building let's go!

We also have a lot of other stuff falling down and rotten on campus facility wise but who cares about that?

Show me the dough folks, I am all in!

Go Rhody
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Maybe the best comp for what we might be looking at is UMass' facility that cost $22 million.

This is a photo gallery of the facility: http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... baske.html

And this is what is included in the building: https://www.umass.edu/dcm/jfkcc
I have been by the UMass facility. Didn't get the tour but got to look in and have heard a lot of positives (live in WMass and my so goes to UMass).

If you look at the UMass facility and the VCU facility and don't think that puts URI at a competitive disadvantage you are fooling yourself. These facilities treat the players as elite athletes. If that is the goal for our team, we need a facility where the inside is similar to UMass and VCU.

The UMass facility cost $22 million with $11 million donated by alum John Kennedy. URI would need a wealthy alum or two to make a similar contribution. The rest of the cost can be funded with smaller donations and financing over 20-30 years.

The facilities are more than fluff - training, medical treatment, nutrition, video, dining, study areas, coaching rooms/tools.

Hopefully there are some wealthy donors that want to Think Big!
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ok so I have a question about a theoretical basketball practice facility at URI. The UMass facility cost $22M and includes many of the features that the relatively new SADC has. So would a URI basketball facility duplicate all those items, or would it somehow connect to the SADC to allow the basketball team seamless access to the basketball facility and the SADC? Because in the former case, it seems like it would have been poor strategic planning because best case you put the money into the SADC that your premier athletic program isn't going to use and worst case you won't even be able to build the basketball facility at all that your premier program apparently has to have. If it's the latter, though, and the SADC could be incorporated it would seem that the basketball facility could actully be built for less than the $22M UMass spent.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, yes I think something like that was mentioned before....evidently Thorr has had that in mind.

My guess is, the ball will start rolling toward some sort of facility very soon.

Maybe it will even be mentioned when we finally get word of Dan's extension....maybe that's what is taking them so long as a matter of fact.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TP, yes.....the blend of existing facilities to the enhanced basketball practice components is what needs to be the goal.....just do not see the mega facility getting funded in the current climate......would it be great to have the mega facility ?.....sure.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938