2017-2018 Predicting The A10 Conference

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

2017-2018 Predicting The A10 Conference

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Soooo I've been thinking, there's bound to be much change after Dayton, UMass, and Duquesne hire new leaders, but with great roster turnover there's bound to be new staples to the top of the conference so I wanted to throw out my thoughts on how things will turn out next March.

1. Rhode Island
2. LaSalle
3. SJU
4. St Louis
5. Bona
6. VCU
7. George Mason
8. Dayton
9. Davidson
10. UMass
11. Richmond
12. George Washington
13. Fordham
14. Duquesne

Thoughts???!!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 2017-2018 Predicting The A10 Conference

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I'd put Bona higher. Their 2 best players will be seniors. If VCU keeps its roster and incoming class intact, they may be top 4. I do like LaSalle and if St. Joe's gets healthy they could dangerous. Brown is a turnover nightmare, but he sure can shoot.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I think you're underrating Richmond and Davidson. Aldridge is going to be a problem next year... if we see them twice again I could easily see him scoring his way to a win in one of the two.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Davidson losing Gibbs is going to be a major loss. Aldridge without Gibbs will not be the same Aldridge...Gibbs created space for everyone.
They don't have the talent behind him, I can see them falling back. Agree that St Joe's and St Louis will make most significant improvement from this year's performance.
3 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Davidson losing Gibbs is going to be a major loss. Aldridge without Gibbs will not be the same Aldridge...Gibbs created space for everyone.
They don't have the talent behind him, I can see them falling back. Agree that St Joe's and St Louis will make most significant improvement from this year's performance.
I'll agree to disagree there. He's got moves in the front court and he's a knockdown shooter... I don't think he will have any problem creating for himself next year. Kid's got the potential to be TJ Cline 2.0 in A10 play and propel them forward on his ability to create from the post. Never count a McKillop team out.

St. Joe's will be on the rise, St. Louis has the potential but I personally think that Travis Ford is a mediocre coach. He looks feeble on the sideline at times.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

La Salle's success will hinge on Johnson's return. He is testing the NBA Draft waters.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Dayton and VCU will not finish 6th and 8th. They may dip slightly with roster turnover and new coaches, but they aren't going away.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

TP, I put them there as in the middle of the pack, but not out of the conversation for the reasons you mention, but Dayton will have a bit of a drop off
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SBU should be higher than five. That is where they finished this past year and they return all their important pieces.

Keep in mind that URI league schedule flips this year. It had the advantage of of playing many of the better teams only game at home. That will not be the case next year.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

One thing is certain.
WE are the favorite.

It's hard to figure how the rest of the league shapes up.
It may be better from the bottom up.
Duquesne will be bad...but I could see the rest of the league improving overall. Anybody can finish anywhere just about.
Everyone is going to be gunning for us, that's for sure.
They were really gunning for us this year too though, we'll be ready for it. It'll keep us on our toes.

We have our frintcohr questions, but we all saw how good we were against Oregon without Hass, (iverson played great, I know) but still! We looked a notch better than Dayton and VCU at the end of the year and it doesn't look like next year anybody else in the league will be as good as this years senior lead Dayton or VCU...

That's a lot of hype, but it makes sense to me.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Top 4 to me is uri, st bonnies, vcu, la salle (in order)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My (way too early) stab:

URI
SBU
VCU
Dayton
SLU
LaSalle
Davidson
SJU
GMU
GW
Richmond
Fordham
UMass
Duquesne
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

steviep123 wrote:My (way too early) stab:

URI
SBU
VCU
Dayton
SLU
LaSalle
Davidson
SJU
GMU
GW
Richmond
Fordham
UMass
Duquesne
This feels closer to what I think will be the actual result. St. Joe's could overtake a few places here... but I think the team being counted out is Richmond. Buckingham, Sherod, Fore, and Johnson all return next year. Heavy minute rotations there...

Obviously losing Jones and Cline is huge but the landscape of the league is changing so much I expect them to perform.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think Dayton takes a 1 year step back and I would think that even with Archive there just wouldn't have been as big imo
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just read that Archie is encouraging this year's recruits to stay at Dayton.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This year we were essentially co-favorites with Dayton. Next year, we are clear favorites. What other team may get votes?

Predicting order of finish in the middle of the A10 is like guessing random playing cards from a fanned deck.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Martyf250
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Martyf250 »

ARE WE RANKED HEADING INTO NEXT SEASON?????
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Martyf250 wrote:ARE WE RANKED HEADING INTO NEXT SEASON?????
That won't be factual information for MONTHS. But... early indication is, 75% chance of yes.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My ranking is: URI SBU VCU Dayton SJU Davidson Lasalle GW Richmond Fordham UMASS GMU SLU Duquesne
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, with perennial A10 powers Dayton and VCU being slightly down next year, how many A10 bids are we looking at?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If and that's a big if all the Dayton recruits come next year they will most likely be a top 7 A10 team. From what I've been reading they are very worried that Wright isn't coming and that would be a HUGE loss. You can't lose that senior class and the best coach in the conference and not expect a huge decline.

As for URI if we finish anywhere but 1 that's a failure. We are hands down the most talented team in the league. That's before we could land a guy like Juiston.

My rankings: Uri, Sbu, Lasalle, Vcu, Slu , GM, Dayton, Sju, Davidson, GW, Umass, Richmond, Fordham, Duquesne.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we can get this Jouistin guy we may squeak into top 25 if we don't I don't think so
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote:If we can get this Jouistin guy we may squeak into top 25 if we don't I don't think so
I think they'll put us in the top 25 regardless. If they did last year after our 17-15 season, why wouldn't they when we have virtually everyone back from a team a couple baskets away from the sweet 16?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Because they will see that we lost Hass and KI and it's quite hard to get ranked in Top 25
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think we'll get votes but I don't think we'll be ranked. I dont think we'll need the buzz from a top 25 ranking as much coming off this year.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree with that I can see us in the 26-35 range
1 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

We, of course, will see what happens at Dayton and with the Dan/Georgetown talk, but overall I think the A10 has had a pretty decent off-season so far. It was a little choppy for a little while there for both UMass and Duquesne, but it turned out okay for them.

Keith Dambrot is a pretty big improvement over Ferry at Duquesne, he has had some pretty good success at Akron. Not sure if he can make the NCAAs with Duquesne, but if the school is willing to invest in the programs (which it seems they are), then Dambrot can at least make some NITs.

I am thinking this Matt McCall is going to be better than Kellogg. He seems like a winner and guy that will have some success, he doesn;t have a long track record, but Kellogg really wasn't getting it done up there.

VCU between Will Wade and Mike Rhoades remains to be seen, but my gut tells me it is going to be a wash between the two.

As far as the other programs, if I had to say I think a majority of the programs in the conference are heading in the "right direction." I think URI, St Bona, SLU, Duquesne, UMass, George Mason. The two "blue bloods" (VCU, Dayton) of the conference both lost their coaches, but will continue to succeed with their basketball commitment. Richmond, St. Joe's, La Salle, Davidson and GW are in a neutral position likely continuing with roughly the same level of success they have had in the past. Fordham is the only program wallowing in my mind.
1 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

VCU may be losing Ahmed Mohammed, the kid who bruised us inside at the RC in February. Without him and Mo Allie Cox down low they'll have to rely on their guard play a lot more next season. May take a small step back.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

thatRamBand wrote:VCU may be losing Ahmed Mohammed, the kid who bruised us inside at the RC in February. Without him and Mo Allie Cox down low they'll have to rely on their guard play a lot more next season. May take a small step back.
i wouldn't call that game a bruising by any stretch...10 points and 4 reb with 1 block and got flat out owned by Hass who had 17 points 18 reb in 23 min.

helps us out either way. weaker is weaker
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

[quote="NorthernRamFan"]Soooo I've been thinking, there's bound to be much change after Dayton, UMass, and Duquesne hire new leaders, but with great roster turnover there's bound to be new staples to the top of the conference so I wanted to throw out my thoughts on how things will turn out next March.

1. Rhode Island
2. LaSalle
3. SJU
4. St Louis
5. Bona
6. VCU
7. George Mason
8. Dayton
9. Davidson
10. UMass
11. Richmond
12. George Washington
13. Fordham
14. Duquesne

Updated (Based on hires)
1. Rhode Island
2. LaSalle
3. SJU
4. VCU
5. Bona
6. SLU
7. UMass
8. Dayton
9. George Mason
10. Davidson
11. Richmond
12. Duquesne
13. George Washington
14. Fordham

I really think Duquesne hit a homerun with the Dambrot hire. Rhodes getting the gig at VCU is a no brainer for continued success, but whenever there's change anywhere there's bound to be hiccups.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, there's no way Dayton will drop that far. If they finish 8th or lower I'll eat my computer.
Last edited by SmartyBarrett 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

1. URI
2. St. Bonaventure
3. St. Joe's
4. LaSalle
5. VCU
6. Saint Louis
7. Dayton
8. Mason
9. Davidson
10. Richmond
11. GW
12. UMass
13. Duquesne
14. Fordham

This was hard now that I actually tried to put one together... realistically all teams from 2-11 are interchangeable for a litany of reasons. I don't think the ceiling for GW, UMass, or Richmond is as high as the 2-3 spot but I could easily see them in the 4-6 position when all is said and done. Next year is going to shake out real interesting... Granted we are the clear favorite, no game is going to be easy because the rest of the conference is going to be clawing so hard to get head and shoulders above each other. We will undoubtedly be the team with a target on our back from all other 13 teams.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

SmartyBarrett wrote:Yeah, there's no way Dayton will drop that far. If they finish 8th or lower I'll eat my computer.
Smarty, truthfully now that UD has announced the hiring of A Grant I think it's safe to say they'll be somewhere between 2-5. Ultimately it now falls on Grant's shoulders to recruit near the same level as Archie did.

Another interesting tid bit is there are now multiple Billy The Kid coaching "limbs" to his tree as HC in the conference. Dayton-UMasd should be fun this year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's also interesting because Hurley has said before that Donovan is one of the coaches he talks to about different things.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Going by the first post, I think both Philly teams are probably too high.

I used to trust Giannini with transfers, but after this year, I'm not sure. They lose Price but Johnson and Powell should both be back.

As for St. Joe's, I think Charlie Brown is legit. I worry about when Newkirk can be back fully healthy. We saw EC's progression, and he was a full year out from his injury at the start of the season. Newkirk got hurt when? Late December? They have a couple more guys who will also be coming back from injury after sitting out a season.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

At first glance the A10 is a 1 bid league next year
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I appreciate the optimism and I hope everyone here is right in having the Rams on top, but I think we may be minimizing the loss of Hass and KI. Throughout the year our guards spoke of how they felt confident pressuring the ball up top because Hass had their back. That will no longer be the case. How are we going to be that great of a defense again next year? As much improvement as Langevine showed, I don't recall him making any shot other than a layup. We will miss Hass's soft touch 10 feet from the rim and KI's ability to stretch the floor and give us an added big defender and rebounder. I feel like Akele took a step back from his freshman year and I don't see him giving us what KI did. I know we have great guard play and that can take you a long way, but remember Garrick and Owens had Kenny Green and a solid front court (Evans, Sina, Colson). Tyson and Cat had Luther, ARD and King stretching the floor. Are we going to play with 4 guards? I'd feel a lot more confident if we got another KI type as a grad or JUCO transfer.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhodyRam86 wrote:I appreciate the optimism and I hope everyone here is right in having the Rams on top, but I think we may be minimizing the loss of Hass and KI. Throughout the year our guards spoke of how they felt confident pressuring the ball up top because Hass had their back. That will no longer be the case. How are we going to be that great of a defense again next year? As much improvement as Langevine showed, I don't recall him making any shot other than a layup. We will miss Hass's soft touch 10 feet from the rim and KI's ability to stretch the floor and give us an added big defender and rebounder. I feel like Akele took a step back from his freshman year and I don't see him giving us what KI did. I know we have great guard play and that can take you a long way, but remember Garrick and Owens had Kenny Green and a solid front court (Evans, Sina, Colson). Tyson and Cat had Luther, ARD and King stretching the floor. Are we going to play with 4 guards? I'd feel a lot more confident if we got another KI type as a grad or JUCO transfer.
I would have been more worried but Curil held his own against Jordan Bell who eviscerated Kansas a week later. Cyril also wont be a first or second scoring option every time down the floor. It will be a different looking team for sure but if Cyril keeps playing good defense and Tertsea or Layssard can contribute defensively and on the glass i will be pleased. Although Layssard is a shooter i think so hopefully he gets closer to game shape and can score too.
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Dayton will be in any talk concerning top tier teams. They sellout all games and have an incredible fan base. VCU will be less talented. St Louis has a great recruiting class coming so maybe 2 years for them. URI needs a 6'8 or taller power forward. Otherwise Rams will be a four guard offense. Which I'm thinking they will any way because of roster. 2018 "Running" Rams. Rev the engine the 8 year has been amazing for Rhody. 1978- NCAA, 1988- NCAA, 1998- NCAA, 2008- NCAA. 2018 ?.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

BruceW wrote:Dayton will be in any talk concerning top tier teams. They sellout all games and have an incredible fan base. VCU will be less talented. St Louis has a great recruiting class coming so maybe 2 years for them. URI needs a 6'8 or taller power forward. Otherwise Rams will be a four guard offense. Which I'm thinking they will any way because of roster. 2018 "Running" Rams. Rev the engine the 8 year has been amazing for Rhody. 1978- NCAA, 1988- NCAA, 1998- NCAA, 2008- NCAA. 2018 ?.
2008 was NIT lost to Creighton in 1st round
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah 2008 was our epic collapse that year sucked.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

steveystuds06 wrote:Yeah 2008 was our epic collapse that year sucked.
But we were good! Dan Hurley is going to ride the luck of the 8th year at URI to epic proportions.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

We had a couple of those.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Uh oh certain "fans" will hate this but Rothstein has us as #23 in his way too early 2017 preseason rankings.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:Uh oh certain "fans" will hate this but Rothstein has us as #23 in his way too early 2017 preseason rankings.

Speaking of rankings, doesn't one last poll come out this week for the 2016/17 season now that the NCAA Tournament is over? Will Rhody make the cut?
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

@kenpomeroy: Just checked my preseason ratings by conf. Kind of interesting. 1. B12, 2. BE, 3. SEC, 4. ACC, 5. B10, 6. P12, 7. AAC, 8. MW, 9. A10 10. MVC
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

1. Rhode Island
2. Bonnies
3. St. Joe
4. St. Louis
5. VCU
6. Lasalle
7. Dayton