Thorr on extending Hurley's contract in next week

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Thorr on extending Hurley's contract in next week

Unread post by Rhody83 »

the_one_mike wrote:
If you aren't moving the target, then what are you doing? It's called setting goals and achieving them. That's how progression works. I'm not sure I understand the concept of being a fan of a team but not demanding excellence.

To say something like, "we waited 18 years," is the exact reason it took 18 years to return. More like, 18 years of "fans" being complacent with mediocrity allowed their team to become a doormat. If you want to make it in intervals less than 18 years... you have to DEMAND growth.

If you can't recognize that to achieve more you must consistently demand more, I'm not sure what to say. Just because you aren't a blind optimist that doesn't make you a pessimist,
the-one-mike and Rod, I am going to assume you aren't employees of URI MBB or the Athletic Dept. You have very little to no impact on the team's goals. You are a fan. The only minimal indirect impact you have is attending games as a fan and any money you donate to the program. Dan Hurley and Thorr don't give a shit what you DEMAND of the team. So your comment above that saying we waited 18 years is the exact reason it took 18 years is the biggest piece of bullshit I have read on this thread and that is saying a lot. Maybe you were typing this during work and thought yiu were the boss. The fact that Rod gave you a +1000 is not a good sign.

Fans celebrate when their team does well and hurt when their team loses or plays poorly. Many vent about their team when they are upset. Not many people vent about their team when they experience the joy we have experienced the last month. You are in the significant minority.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:It would make no sense for Dan to sign an extension and then leave a couple of weeks later. Part of the extension will be a bigger buyout.

Actually the opposite is more likely based on the current contract (through the 2021-22 season) buyout terms:

The contract’s existing buyout structure and other program enhancements remain in place. A one-time payment of $1 million after next season, a one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons or a one-time payment of $500,000 after the 2020-21 season would be required to hire Hurley away from Kingston
The expectation is that an extension signed this week will include an increase in the buyout amount for every year on Dan's contract. So it will cost a school more to buy Dan out next week than it will today. That is consistent with how the buyout language was change with the extension last year. Thorr knows what he is doing.
3 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Ultimately, in the business of college basketball, you have to extend your coach after any sort of success or momentum, especially when you are a school like URI. Like it or not, the only way to keep quality coaches here is to give them incentive after they have any sort of success. Otherwise, schools with deeper pockets that play in bigger conferences will try to hire your coach. DH is still here because the administration has given him the incentive to stay, by continuing to improve the program infrastructure and the contract details (both for DH and his assistants).
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

For the schools that would hypothetically buy out Hurley, the increase to his buyout from any extension signed this week would not mean a thing. It would, however, be very meaningful to URI where $100k, $200k, etc is significant.

It's pretty great that the program may potentially get well over $1 Million when Hurley does finally leave. This is how the good programs stay good. We finally are trying to stay at the top of the league.

Short of Dan suddenly becoming a terrible coach or needing to be fired without cause, this contract situation is mutually beneficial, like one would hope, between coach and school.
Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Rhody83 wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
If you aren't moving the target, then what are you doing? It's called setting goals and achieving them. That's how progression works. I'm not sure I understand the concept of being a fan of a team but not demanding excellence.

To say something like, "we waited 18 years," is the exact reason it took 18 years to return. More like, 18 years of "fans" being complacent with mediocrity allowed their team to become a doormat. If you want to make it in intervals less than 18 years... you have to DEMAND growth.

If you can't recognize that to achieve more you must consistently demand more, I'm not sure what to say. Just because you aren't a blind optimist that doesn't make you a pessimist,
the-one-mike and Rod, I am going to assume you aren't employees of URI MBB or the Athletic Dept. You have very little to no impact on the team's goals. You are a fan. The only minimal indirect impact you have is attending games as a fan and any money you donate to the program. Dan Hurley and Thorr don't give a shit what you DEMAND of the team. So your comment above that saying we waited 18 years is the exact reason it took 18 years is the biggest piece of bullshit I have read on this thread and that is saying a lot. Maybe you were typing this during work and thought yiu were the boss. The fact that Rod gave you a +1000 is not a good sign.

Fans celebrate when their team does well and hurt when their team loses or plays poorly. Many vent about their team when they are upset. Not many people vent about their team when they experience the joy we have experienced the last month. You are in the significant minority.
The sentiment here is entirely incorrect.

If the fans don't matter, why has this forum called for more support from the fans? I have read through threads with people are talking about, "opening the checkbook," getting people to show up to games, and other alumni/fan contributions. How come about halfway through the season Hurley & Co. repeatedly went to the media to say that they need fans to show up and support the team... if we don't matter? If what we think of the program doesn't matter?

What are you guys protecting? I don't understand your approach. Criticism is a necessary part of life. If you can't identify opportunities to get better then you're never going to take them. Being rude to people providing constructive criticism just looks weak. Mentally weak. Like you can't accept the fight to compete never stops.

You're also wrong about demands. Dead wrong. The alumni of this school have way more power than they recognize, because, well... nobody tries to get together, organize, and DEMAND something. We have the weakest alumni out of any major public university in the northeast by a good margin. Minimal donation, minimal events, minimal EVERYTHING. It's embarrassing. Alumni at other schools organize and achieve the goals for their university by making DEMANDS and then putting their effort and money where their mouths are.

Hell, nearly 1/2 of the local friends I had at URI are PC basketball fans over their own alma mater. Maybe you're proud of that. I'm not. I'm a young alumni that's trying to continually hold my school to a higher standard, sorry if you don't like it. But, quite frankly, I'm not here for you. And I don't care if you think what I'm saying is negative... because to anyone without the URI blinders on, most of what I'm saying is just considered reality.

It's cute how some of you guys clearly think you're better than others the way you reference members of this board. This is an online forum, guys. We are all here to talk shop about our team. You should all take a step back and work on being a bit more civil when somebody's opinion is different than yours. There's no need to make a disagreement about basketball a personal vendetta... but that unfortunately seems like a trend on this board.

Now, if you want to talk about a significant minority. Let's talk about URI/Hurley homers.................
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

the_one_mike +1,000 just to piss off some clown who doesn't like what we post.
Followers of the program pay the bills.
It's why we get emails from Thorr and Dooley about sports and events.
It's why URI has had players call season ticket holders to thank them.
It's why I've gotten calls from people in the Athletic Dept. with concerns
about something I posted.
Or a phone call from an assistant coach who claimed I was trying to get him fired.
It's why coaches have attendance clauses in their contracts.
If you don't think any of us matter, or what we think doesn't matter,
then you have no clue how things work in sports.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rodfromcranston wrote:It's "mission accomplished" and that's great, but is asking more, treason?
NC State fired a coach who went to FOUR NCAAs in his first four years.
Didn't make it the last two, and got shown the door.
Same deal with Indiana.
Let's see if this was an anomaly, or sustainable of doing this multiple
seasons.
So, damn anybody who isn't orgasmic, right?
Think Big!
I agree with this, so bash me too. JTIII made the tourney first 13 years he was there. 13 years, 10 NCAAs, a final 4, a sweet 16. Then the gripe was out of the other 8 tourneys he couldn't get past the first weekend. Then in that 14th season he didn't make any tourney first time. He was heavily criticized by fans. He was also heavily criticized for not advancing deep into tourney even though he basically made it every year. 2 non tourney years he is now unemployed. You may not like the guy as a coach, but he is not a bum. Point is, Georgetown clearly has lofty expectations for their program. And they should. Isn't that they way it should be? Indiana same. Both schools know what it is to win at the highest level. If you "settle" things begin to fall apart. Setting very high expectations is the only way you achieve and continue great things.

And as far as the Rod bashing, it is all ridiculous, total bs. He is honest, has his opinions whether you agree or not. But there is not a more loyal URI fan on this board. It seems as if there are at times a difference of opinions of some of the older posters, that have followed the program for years and those who have been around the last 15 or 20 years. It doesn't make one group any different, any better or opinions more correct. But all should be respected. All are typically passionate. Rod is not some troll that pops on the board to say ridiculous things. He has strong opinions and IMO enjoy his posts. I may not agree with everything he says, but they are typically very well informed and strong opinions and on my part respected. I don't get all the attacks because you may disagree with someone's thoughts.
4 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thanks, Gio. This stuff happens every so often.
It's mostly from the younger set, who think URI basketball
began in the Ryan Center.
I was hoping this NCAA would make them see how much it meant
to those of us who've been there for the Kraft-Penders-Skinner-Harrick
NCAAs.
Instead, it's brought about more vitriol against anyone who
doesn't think Dan is John Wooden reincarnated, or that we aren't
his UCLA team.
Al Skinner was knocked as "1 in 4 Al".
Even then, we expected more.
It's what sports fans do.
Does anyone think Dan Hurley is satisfied, sitting back,
smoking a cigar, having a drink, totally satisfied he's
made an NCAA?
I highly doubt that he is.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I recall spending time in Lexington years ago when Pitino was coach. More recently in Indiana when Crean was coach. I have heard Lexington show with Calipari. Hate all those guys if you want, but all have had some pretty good success. To listen to some fans, they are very tough. Even get personal, it's not a love fest or close. That's the way it is. Sat with some Syr fans at this year's ACC tourney. There were some that had nothing good to say about Boeheim and not because of his age or results of this season. This guy has won 1,000 games and is actually in HOF. We are not Kent, Syr, Ind, but that's the way things are outside of the A10. What is said here that is considered to be negative is so mild in comparison its crazy. Funny, I heard Calipari say that KY fan's expectations were so high, that when they didn't win a game by 25, he would receive death threats. I think certainly many of these people are over board, but I think a few here would be pretty surprised with what goes on if they ever left Kingston.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

giovanni wrote:I recall spending time in Lexington years ago when Pitino was coach. More recently in Indiana when Crean was coach. I have heard Lexington show with Calipari. Hate all those guys if you want, but all have had some pretty good success. To listen to some fans, they are very tough. Even get personal, it's not a love fest or close. That's the way it is. Sat with some Syr fans at this year's ACC tourney. There were some that had nothing good to say about Boeheim and not because of his age or results of this season. This guy has won 1,000 games and is actually in HOF. We are not Kent, Syr, Ind, but that's the way things are outside of the A10. What is said here that is considered to be negative is so mild in comparison its crazy. Funny, I heard Calipari say that KY fan's expectations were so high, that when they didn't win a game by 25, he would receive death threats. I think certainly many of these people are over board, but I think a few here would be pretty surprised with what goes on if they ever left Kingston.
Great thoughts here. To expand on that... We may not be a blue-blood school like the ones you listed... but I'd put us in the next tier right behind them in the grand scheme of NCAA basketball. Think about it. In an alternate world we where hired a successful coach instead of Jim Baron... that lost decade was a successful one... maybe we would have been one of the teams that ended up in the Big East during the restructuring. Late 90's we were sending players to the league, trending upwards... a school with RICH early basketball history. Hell, we invented the goddamn modern game. The fast break started here.

To me, complacency with that failure for so long set us back substantially. Hurley is trying to get us back to where we were 20 years ago. I'm thankful for that, but I'm also looking forward to what we can ultimately become under his guidance and OUR influence.

We were once a nationally recognized and nationally feared program. That's the history that I'd assume Hurley attaches himself to. If that expectation of greatness and the memories of past success motivate him, why can't it be our dream, too? I may be a strong critic at times, but it's because I want what's best for Rhody basketball.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

We all want the same thing: continued excellence. I'm in the group that thinks Hurley has us in position to do that. Others are much more skeptical and have a "show me" attitude. That's fine. It's all opinion and perception. URI accomplished more this season that in the Harrick-Lamar year. I'll always remember the trip to Sacramento, and I'll have a smile on my face until the first tip next season.
(And for the record, I saw Kraft coach.)
6 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:We all want the same thing: continued excellence. I'm in the group that thinks Hurley has us in position to do that. Others are much more skeptical and have a "show me" attitude. That's fine. It's all opinion and perception. URI accomplished more this season that in the Harrick-Lamar year. I'll always remember the trip to Sacramento, and I'll have a smile on my face until the first tip next season.
Very fair, no doubt. It was great months of February and March which made for a great year. I think we all enjoyed in our own way and all hope for continued success and enjoyment. But comparing Harrick -Lamar to this season is splitting hairs. Not sure if you like or dislike Harrick, but to compare Danny to his accomplishments at this point is beyond ridiculous. I don't think you are doing that. But I do believe that those who you say are skeptical or have a show me attitude, are pointing to guys that have captured great success and done it over a period of time. Anthony Davis is an incredible player, but do you consider him better than Tim Duncan or Akeem Olajuwon? Cam Newton won the MVP and got to the SB, does that make him better than Brett Favre based on what he did a couple of years ago and what his expectations may had grown too? No. That doesn't mean Anthony Davis some day may become better than say Duncan, but at this point how can you even compare the? Until you actually put the numbers in the books, it's only what you may expect will happen. That is not any sort of knock and Anthony Davis at all, but let him have some greater accomplishments and for a period of time before we assume his greatness. Dan has done a wonderful job and provided an excellent and enjoying season. But, building this program to this point and having one good year doesn't win 100 games in the next 5 years or give us 3 tournaments. I think most that have that have what you call the "show me" attitude you are simply saying let's actually accomplish great things for a period of time. I think we are all very happy and appreciative of what Dan has done, but that doesn't guarantee success for the next decade, even though it may appear we will continue to grow. We all hope we will become something great and Dan will not only be here but also have continued and greater success. But it's not that simple just to assume all will be wonderful in the years to come.
Last edited by giovanni 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Iggy1979 wrote:We all want the same thing: continued excellence. I'm in the group that thinks Hurley has us in position to do that. Others are much more skeptical and have a "show me" attitude. That's fine. It's all opinion and perception. URI accomplished more this season that in the Harrick-Lamar year. I'll always remember the trip to Sacramento, and I'll have a smile on my face until the first tip next season.
I agree with everything here, the sentiment is great. It should go without saying that if you joined this board, you hope to see URI succeed. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic with this team.

Despite the positive note this season ended on, I took a good friend and huge basketball fan unfamiliar with URI to the LaSalle game this year. That shit... was embarrassing and unacceptable. The team looked weak as hell. My buddy, who is well over 6' and still plays himself, would not stop roasting our players for being soft. By halftime, Hurley's body language on the sideline was nothing short of pathetic. Leaning on the scorers table, down 20 with nothing to say to his team and everything to say to the refs... It was NOT a good look.

The optimists can slice it however they want but I do my best to help promote this team in my own ways, and they've done nothing but embarrass me along the way... until the beginning of February 2017. I give away my extra season ticket free, I post on social media about all the success the program is having. The only time I talk with a tone of expectation is with people I perceive to understand the work to be a great program never stops. I guess not everyone here understands that. My fault for assuming they do.

For me to just sweep those experiences under the rug would be, quite frankly, stupid. You're right in saying that at this point I have a "show me" attitude toward this team... but that attitude is entirely rooted in their play over the last two decades. I'm not just some grumpy dude trying to find a problem with their play. In fact, I until this post, I don't remember bringing up a single negative "memory" of the team here.

I think the turnaround they showed at the end of the year is the team we REALLY have. That doesn't mean I'm going to forget the last 20 years over 6 weeks of basketball... sorry, y'all. It would be silly and shortsighted to forget the home losses to LaSalle and Fordham; losing the lead at PC, Houston, and Dayton; coughing up a 4 point lead to Dayton at home with 20 seconds left.

These things all happened, and they could have been prevented with SLIGHT adjustments. That's why I have such a high expectations and a particular attitude towards the success of this season... because minor modifications moving forward will put us in a position to win all of those games.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am very thankful for what this team accomplished this year. Imagine what would have been posted on this board if we did not win the A-10 and a NCAA tournament game. The posts by you know who would have been unbelievable!
Just for the record please be advised that I have been a beyond avid fan of the Rams since the Ernie Calverly days. Also, yours truly has been in attendance at all the NCAA tournament games we have won.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wowie! I'm sure Carl Koussa is so jealous of Ellie.
Such a big fan, he spelled Calverley's name wrong.
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I will not misspell d-bag because that is what I think of when I seen one of your incoherent posts. Too bad the NCAA does not allow unpaid recruiting positions because I am certain Dan would appoint you to take advantage of your experience.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Knock it off please
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on guys let's get along here we are all URI diehards !!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, this stalker-troll is no fan.
He lives to troll, adds nothing to any discussion,
and just tries to stir shit.
A coward hiding behind a keyboard.
0 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Sooo has anyone actually talked to anyone lately? Let's get this back on track... suggestions of program enhancements that were put in Dan's last contract... have they been done or started yet?
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:It's because you're an asshole.

Don't give me this "I use objective facts to make points" bullshit. You do no such thing. You come here to make people feel bad for rooting for their team. You have been here for years, I think, and I haven't seen you make one valid point about anything.
Classy post, my man. Tremendous argument you've made. I bring up facts so it must be BS. You name-call so that makes you a super-fan and articulate poster. That is the true essence of posting on message boards i.e. being entirely over emotional and subjective when presenting an opinion.

You haven't seen me make one valid point about anything? Wow, talk about hyberbole. Do you want me to list some of the points I've made in the past? And then you can tell me what's not valid or not fact. You can even call me names, if that makes you feel better. I certainly don't want to make anybody feel badly.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

the_one_mike wrote:
I agree with everything here, the sentiment is great. It should go without saying that if you joined this board, you hope to see URI succeed. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic with this team.

Despite the positive note this season ended on, I took a good friend and huge basketball fan unfamiliar with URI to the LaSalle game this year. That shit... was embarrassing and unacceptable. The team looked weak as hell. My buddy, who is well over 6' and still plays himself, would not stop roasting our players for being soft. By halftime, Hurley's body language on the sideline was nothing short of pathetic. Leaning on the scorers table, down 20 with nothing to say to his team and everything to say to the refs... It was NOT a good look.

The optimists can slice it however they want but I do my best to help promote this team in my own ways, and they've done nothing but embarrass me along the way... until the beginning of February 2017. I give away my extra season ticket free, I post on social media about all the success the program is having. The only time I talk with a tone of expectation is with people I perceive to understand the work to be a great program never stops. I guess not everyone here understands that. My fault for assuming they do.

For me to just sweep those experiences under the rug would be, quite frankly, stupid. You're right in saying that at this point I have a "show me" attitude toward this team... but that attitude is entirely rooted in their play over the last two decades. I'm not just some grumpy dude trying to find a problem with their play. In fact, I until this post, I don't remember bringing up a single negative "memory" of the team here.

I think the turnaround they showed at the end of the year is the team we REALLY have. That doesn't mean I'm going to forget the last 20 years over 6 weeks of basketball... sorry, y'all. It would be silly and shortsighted to forget the home losses to LaSalle and Fordham; losing the lead at PC, Houston, and Dayton; coughing up a 4 point lead to Dayton at home with 20 seconds left.

These things all happened, and they could have been prevented with SLIGHT adjustments. That's why I have such a high expectations and a particular attitude towards the success of this season... because minor modifications moving forward will put us in a position to win all of those games.
This is a very well written and articulated thought. Agree. You can be a URI supporter, grateful for A-10 and NCAA tourney wins, and have wonderful memories of the last month of the season. However, that doesn't erase the entire season and its faults...doesn't erase questions that have been previously raised regarding the ability of the coach, his staff and program...and doesn't erase the history of unsustained success at URI. These are all reasons to have a healthy (not an over abundance) amount of skepticism about how things will shake out in the future.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Could PlayMikeMotenMore and the_one_mike be the same person? the_one_mike did just join the board yesterday and post 30+ times. Now they are agreeing with each other. Coincidence, I think not.
0 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote:Could PlayMikeMotenMore and the_one_mike be the same person? the_one_mike did just join the board yesterday and post 30+ times. Now they are agreeing with each other. Coincidence, I think not.
I think you need to spend less time at InfoWars.com
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Agreed.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So is THIS announcement happening THIS week?
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So is THIS announcement happening THIS week?
Nobody knows......well, except for Frank Carpano.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Any update on this. Thorr first mentioned it on 03/26/17. Since then, some in the local media were speculating it was imminent last Thursday 03/31/17. It is now one week later.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I saw Thorr on Upper College Road with a sign: need $ to keep coach. Any amount helps.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:I saw Thorr on Upper College Road with a sign: need $ to keep coach. Any amount helps.
I saw him too! I thought it was for Bob Sr. and St. Anthony's!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:I saw Thorr on Upper College Road with a sign: need $ to keep coach. Any amount helps.
I saw him too! I thought it was for Bob Sr. and St. Anthony's!
Seriously?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I bet the delay is needed to secure more creative funding methods. Takes time to do something never done before.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There are a couple people here who only speak the truth....ATP is one of them.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Take all the time they need. I'd be concerned if I thought their was an impasse between Thorr and Dan, but I don't think that is what is happening. There is no reason to be stressed about it at this point.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting to announce it at this meet and greet.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They will announce it when it's ready to be signed by both sides. I doubt they care about some alumni function.
1 x