Thorr on extending Hurley's contract in next week

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Thorr on extending Hurley's contract in next week

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thorr interviewed om WJAT TV

WATCH: #URI A.D. Thorr Bjorn tells me school is working on contract extension with Dan Hurley. Plan for announcement this week. @wpri12
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Thorr on extending Hurley's contract in next week

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like really good news !!!
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

At least they're trying!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Does this take him out of the running for the Gtown job?

Would be odd to do this if he knew he was interested in another job
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Thorr gets it, he's an excellent manager. I hope we have these guys around for awhile. I'm a huge Thorr fan.
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Careful everyone, make sure that guy Rod from Cranston doesn't see this thread he'll all everyone rectums and talk about feces. He clearly doesn't like the fact that the administration is doing what they can to keep DH in the Ocean State... seems like a closet PC Friar fan to me...
We are not doing this.

Disagree, argue, have at it. I'm obviously not above that. We are not going to tolerate people taking shots at other posters out of nowhere. I don't care if it is someone taking a shot at Rod or Rod taking a shot at someone else or anyone not named Rod taking a shot at anyone else not named Rod. The only people you can take gratuitous shots at here are SeanMc or PMMM. Otherwise some level of civility is expected.
12 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

TruePoint wrote:
NorthernRamFan wrote:Careful everyone, make sure that guy Rod from Cranston doesn't see this thread he'll all everyone rectums and talk about feces. He clearly doesn't like the fact that the administration is doing what they can to keep DH in the Ocean State... seems like a closet PC Friar fan to me...
We are not doing this.

Disagree, argue, have at it. I'm obviously not above that. We are not going to tolerate people taking shots at other posters out of nowhere. I don't care if it is someone taking a shot at Rod or Rod taking a shot at someone else or anyone not named Rod taking a shot at anyone else not named Rod. The only people you can take gratuitous shots at here are SeanMc or PMMM. Otherwise some level of civility is expected.
Loud and clear. Much respect for moderating the board. We are all here as supporters of the URI ball program. I lay my sword down.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

For the record, I didn't start it.
This guy(or girl) came on here and called me a "wart on the fanbase" and a dill or some such nonsense.
I have honored your request to not respond to Eli.
However, he's also resumed his trolling, assuming that a couple of
people don't like my posts, so it's time to pile on .
My momma didn't raise a punching bag, so I did respond in kind..
4 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Awesome! I could go for a Sean bashing right now. But I guess we'll need a new thread for that.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't understand people bashing Rod for stating facts. Look what happened at Dayton....the school was doing the same thing for Archie....working on a extension and raise, and he leaves.....this kind of thing has happened many times before.....and coaches have left even after raises and extensions have been done....

Sweetening Dan's contract doesn't guarantee a thing in today's big time business of college hoops...it's great that URI and Thorr are doing this of course.....

Imo URI can and should raise Dan's pay along with his assistants pay....but how many more years on his contract...does it really matter in the long run? He'll either be here or he won't. If they guarantee more years, then they have to increase the buyout clause....it's smart business, they have to protect themselves.

As for the past 6 weeks or so....great but, Dan has more work to do going forward.....recruiting will be the most important thing going forward. As of now, the cupboard could be pretty bare in a couple years in he doesn't produce more talent to keep things going....nothing is guaranteed as I said.
6 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote:
We are not doing this.

I'm honored to have darts thrown at me. I'm tearing up. (Dishonored to be lumped in with PC fan.)

But remind me why people can take gratuitous shots at me? Is it because I don't name-call players, coaches or people who post? Or is it because of using objective facts to make points?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It's because you're an asshole.

Don't give me this "I use objective facts to make points" bullshit. You do no such thing. You come here to make people feel bad for rooting for their team. You have been here for years, I think, and I haven't seen you make one valid point about anything.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
We are not doing this.

I'm honored to have darts thrown at me. I'm tearing up. (Dishonored to be lumped in with PC lover Sean, however.)

But remind me why people can take gratuitous shots at me? Is it because I don't name-call players, coaches or people who post on this board? Or is it because of using objective facts to make points?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rambone, the piling on happens every so often.
Some of us, like you and I, have been the target.
It comes about when you're not a goggle-eyed optimist,
who sees everything through blue colored glasses.
I've seen enough in sports, to be pretty cynical. Maybe too much so.
Coaches proclaiming their love for a team, a school, or a place,
only to leave for the next big score.
There are exception, of course. They are also pretty rare.
We live in a time is sports, where contracts mean nothing, extensions mean nothing,
and proclamations of love mean little.
If pointing that out makes us traitors,or negative nabobs, something is wrong,
and it's not us.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, we also root for a program that will likely forever be a small fish in a big [NCAA] pond.

Dan knows will we never be on the level of a Indiana or Kentucky or Duke.

It depends what he ultimately wants for a career. If he's happy trying to make us reach a Gonzaga/Mark Few type level, then that's great for us.

If he doesn't think we can get there for whatever reason, then at some point he's gone. And then it will start all over with the next coach....and end the same way most likely....

Any success we get, whether it's short lived or lasts a while, we should appreciate and cherish it for what it is.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

$1m a year is a nice living fellas....

Really, Dan could be Mark Few? Can any of us say for sure he's not? His father sure was and I doubt he made $1M a year.

We will perhaps know in a few days.

I personally think the only job Dan wants is Seton Hall else he stays...but I got nothin for ya other than opinion.With St. Anthony's likely going under I expect pops might be around a lot as he was in the past couple weeks. Real good for us.

URI could easily be Gonzaga, why not? That we had final 4 talent on this club cannot be disputed anymore. Gimme a JUCO beast and next year right back at ya.

I am dead serious. Why not us?

I'll take a CFL if it's Mark Few II

Bring it on.

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, of course we would take Dan as CFL if he were to impersonate Mark Few and take us to a shitload of NCAAT's......

Sign me up for that right now.

But right now, we don't know if he can do that.....we make another NCAAT next year and get a top recruiting class for 2018, then we can talk.

This year was a start. It had to be the start. Now, continue.

Also, I'm not convinced Dan wants a BE job. Not a huge upgrade. ACC, B10....now that's more likely. And he's not ready for that.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

78 he proved to me he could coach by not only getting this train wreck back on the tracks but turning the club into a legit national title contender.

After getting manhandled by the Bronx Rams!

Every single thing I bitched about he fixed. Right to the letter....hell he even ran the picket fence inbounds!

I believe now that if DH truly commits to retiring here a la Frank Keaney he will bring in the talent to tear up the A10 for a long time.

Convinced me, that was some damn impressive coaching. Must have read Coach Smith's book finally I guess. Those plays we ran were right out of the book, as it should be. Brilliant and even more impressive to get everybody buying in. Did pops help out? Who knows? Who cares?

He got it done. One of the nuttiest things I've ever seen in sports.

Why not us?

Go Rhody
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Plus next year we will be the preseason favorites so the target will be on our backs

If we underperform next season other teams may not be calling for DH
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I like the optimism of us being mentioned with Gonzaga but let's make the tourney again and then get into that stuff. I don't disagree, but we have a chance to make a streak here and the coach is the first step post tourney season. First we need to become a VCU or Dayton then look to be Gonzaga. I like our current position and potential.
3 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan needs to bring in Mr. Juiston and a few studs for 2018......got a lot of work to do.

This fall is......drum roll please.....BIG when it comes to recruiting. And keeping the train rolling.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Talk of an extension is nice. It however really doesn't mean anything if Georgetown offers Hurley. He would still be gone regardless. I am for Hurley being rewarded for getting us to the promised NCAA land. An extra year (present contract runs through 2021-22) seems reasonable along with a modest pay raise and some program improvements. I however do not feel that Dan being open to discussing an extension necessarily means that he has no interest in Georgetown. These are two separate matters which in my view should not be combined. People that link them together do so at their own peril. Coaches sign contract extensions, profess they love their job and will never leave, and accept new jobs (Kelsey) all the time. Many have then turned around a few days later and contradicted all this. I think we just need to let this play out in the next two weeks. My feeling is that Dan is likley on the Hoyas list of potential candidates but probably not the first choice. He however could easily move up the ladder depending on how things go. We all need to exercise some patience and try not to get ahead of oursleves.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Take the two scenarios. #1 Dan ask for program upgrades and an extension and Thorr doesn't deliver. #2 Dan ask for program upgrades and an extension which Thorr delivers. Clearly #2 is better.

I don't think anyone on this board has a close personal relationship with Dan. That being said we don't know the weight Dan places on the many items that influence his decisions.

The visable indications over the last week are all positive - the rally, EC's announcement, Thorr's interview, Dan going to Fatts' game, Carr at JUCO Championship.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I can absolutely see the comfort for Thor if Thor trusts that DH knows the way to the promised land.

The weight room upgrade turned out pretty good. Any news coverage outside of RI called URI a football team.

... I still can't believe we weren't bullied by an Oregon team that bullied everyone. That ending hurts. Iverson finally had filled his potential and..
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:Talk of an extension is nice. It however really doesn't mean anything if Georgetown offers Hurley. He would still be gone regardless. I am for Hurley being rewarded for getting us to the promised NCAA land. An extra year (present contract runs through 2021-22) seems reasonable along with a modest pay raise and some program improvements. I however do not feel that Dan being open to discussing an extension necessarily means that he has no interest in Georgetown. These are two separate matters which in my view should not be combined. People that link them together do so at their own peril. Coaches sign contract extensions, profess they love their job and will never leave, and accept new jobs (Kelsey) all the time. Many have then turned around a few days later and contradicted all this. I think we just need to let this play out in the next two weeks. My feeling is that Dan is likley on the Hoyas list of potential candidates but probably not the first choice. He however could easily move up the ladder depending on how things go. We all need to exercise some patience and try not to get ahead of ourselves.
I can recall there were many people who never thought that Harrick would leave, or that Penders would leave or that Skinner would leave.

URI cannot and will not pay the price for a HC anywhere remotely close to the $22 Mil and $28 Mil that Wade and Miller just received.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

All we can hope for is he is more similar to his dad, and Mark Few, who looks like he makes about $1.3m and has not been poached in 17+ extremely successful seasons.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's possible, RIFan.....but URI has a lot of program improvements and enhancements to get done.....

And hope that St. Johns, Rutgers, or Seton Hall doesn't need a coach anytime soon. I mean, those jobs aren't huge upgrades but they are jobs that DH could take. Nothing new of course.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rambone 78 wrote:57, of course we would take Dan as CFL if he were to impersonate Mark Few and take us to a shitload of NCAAT's......

But right now, we don't know if he can do that.....we make another NCAAT next year and get a top recruiting class for 2018, then we can talk.

Also, I'm not convinced Dan wants a BE job. Not a huge upgrade. ACC, B10....now that's more likely. And he's not ready for that.
No, if URI makes another NCAA tournament and gets a top recruiting class it still won't be enough. Some of you guys are always moving the target. Hurley was hired to get URI back into the tournament. He did it! It would've happened last year but for injuries. He also has done a GREAT job recruiting and a great job of forcing URI to get behind the program and make improvements that will help sustain excellence.
Why can't we enjoy this? Why can't we celebrate this? We waited 18 friggin years for this moment! And we're expected to be at the top of the a10 next year.
If you're anything but giddy right now then you're an eternal pessimist. You have that right but don't expect me to join your club.
10 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan was hired to get URI to the dance...check....he was also hired to get us to the dance on a consistent basis....and the only way to do that is to keep upgrading the program....keep recruiting etc..etc...etc.....

We are all thrilled he did it this year.....but don't we want more? I sure do....if we're happy and content with just one trip to the NCAAT and nothing more, then we will get nothing more.....

I am optimistic that Dan will continue to do these things if he stays...and if he were to leave, we need to keep things going also.
3 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's "mission accomplished" and that's great, but is asking more, treason?
NC State fired a coach who went to FOUR NCAAs in his first four years.
Didn't make it the last two, and got shown the door.
Same deal with Indiana.
Let's see if this was an anomaly, or sustainable of doing this multiple
seasons.
So, damn anybody who isn't orgasmic, right?
Think Big!
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Did you know that Bob McKillop only makes about $400k? They made 6 NCAA Tourney trips between 2005-2015...He has been at Davidson for 28 seasons...he found his happy place. There are a few (no pun intended) examples of successful coaches staying for less than market in a spot they like. Cooley may be one too.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

My two cents? Asking for more isn't treason, and celebrating this season isn't complacency.
7 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

This is great. I truly think Hurley developed coachwise this year. He got out of his comfort zone with things like implementing a zone and press. If anyone enjoyed these last few weeks as much as me an extension is a no brainer. I am psyched for next year. This way I can make plans to attend these post season games
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote:Did you know that Bob McKillop only makes about $400k? They made 6 NCAA Tourney trips between 2005-2015...He has been at Davidson for 28 seasons...he found his happy place. There are a few (no pun intended) examples of successful coaches staying for less than market in a spot they like. Cooley may be one too.

Cooley is not however grossly underpaid such as McKillop. Big Ed supposedly makes about 2M per year. He may have made four consecutive NCAA appearances but some might actually say he is overpaid given he has just one NCAA win. The flip side is that others might say that he has done as well as can be expected at PC in today's college basketball world (where P5 schools dominate). The fact that he does not seem to have capitalized on his NCAA bids, won more NCAA games, or closed the deal with many big name recruits is not his fault. It has more to do with the limitations of PC (small school that is not very diverse, non P5, location, etc..) than with him.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

As I said before here I personally don't think this run is a fluke.

The team turned from a complete mess to a national championship contender in a short period of time.

I was a huge Hurley doubter freely admitted. I didn't think he could coach offense one lick. He proved me wrong. In the last 10 games we were running complex textbook sets. Moving Iverson to the high block was brilliant and running EC off complicated screens was huge. Just 2 examples. It was truly outstanding.....why it took so long to occur I now believe was due more to the complex personalities and skill set of this group vs bad coaching.

Our defense is that final 10 games was as good as it gets....constantly morphing, switching up and impossible for opponents to dial in. Real super elite stuff.

Again, repetition button from above but deserves repeating IMHO....if Dan is satisfied with a comfortable life at $1m a year and a happy family life in suburban RI then this thing is going to explode.

My opinion of course but I do know my hoops and those final 10 games were absolutely as good as I have ever seen here. Complex elite coaching and execution.

I wish more of you appreciate what you saw.....it was astounding. I honestly believe if Martin was 100% this team would be in Phoenix, despite the biased officiating.

Go Rhody
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I'm gonna pretend like you didn't just say we were a national championship contender....
0 x
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Iggy1979 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:57, of course we would take Dan as CFL if he were to impersonate Mark Few and take us to a shitload of NCAAT's......

No, if URI makes another NCAA tournament and gets a top recruiting class it still won't be enough. Some of you guys are always moving the target. Hurley was hired to get URI back into the tournament. He did it! It would've happened last year but for injuries. He also has done a GREAT job recruiting and a great job of forcing URI to get behind the program and make improvements that will help sustain excellence.
Why can't we enjoy this? Why can't we celebrate this? We waited 18 friggin years for this moment! And we're expected to be at the top of the a10 next year.
If you're anything but giddy right now then you're an eternal pessimist. You have that right but don't expect me to join your club.
If you aren't moving the target, then what are you doing? It's called setting goals and achieving them. That's how progression works. I'm not sure I understand the concept of being a fan of a team but not demanding excellence.

Nobody here is claiming they aren't enjoying this. Nobody here is avoiding the celebration. People here are suggesting ways to continue to move this program forward -- to at least match the trajectory we were on from the mid 80s to the opening of the Ryan Center.

To say something like, "we waited 18 years," is the exact reason it took 18 years to return. More like, 18 years of "fans" being complacent with mediocrity allowed their team to become a doormat. If you want to make it in intervals less than 18 years... you have to DEMAND growth.

I specifically remember being called a negative pessimist after the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Now, after this season, people look back and trash Baron and those years like it's nothing. Funny how the tone changes when you find yourself on the next level, huh? I'd expect no less if we rattled off a few tournament appearances, that people would look back at this season and talk about what a rocky road it was to actually get there. How can you realistically expect to make regular trips to the NCAA tournament if everything is unicorns and rainbows?

If you can't recognize that to achieve more you must consistently demand more, I'm not sure what to say. Just because you aren't a blind optimist that doesn't make you a pessimist, sorry.

Is Danny Hurley a pessimist because less than 48 hours after our season ended he was negotiating his contract and talking about the next improvements to our program? Give me a break, man.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

For those that are connecting the extension talk to Hurley not having any interest in the Georgetown job, consider the prospect that Thorr Bjorn's conversations about an extension with Dan were likely discussed early last week in the days after the return from Sacramento which was before the Hoyas job became open.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike + 1,000!
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Really Dan got over that hump and lucky for him and us there are many other things to accomplish next year.

The schedule? Is PC the big OOC home game with no other similar match ups. I wonder if we can go back to that AAC. IF we can get home and homes with SMU And Houston in the past.... Uconn? Cinci? Just wondering what the schedule will look like. Remember we played the back end of H and H's that were originally designed to get us to the dance LAST year. More room to move this upcoming year than this just past year. Plus we are a tournament team. BUT it is likely we will beat anyone on paper that comes to the Ryan so teams will be reluctant if they are not familiar with us and just look at paper.

BEAT PC.

Will all of our guards fire on all cylinders all year. And if not ALL, then will JT, EC, JG, SR, and Jeff D. All these guys taking a step forward and playing fast/playing off of each other and creating shots will be huge. They make the game easier for each other. Early offense. Speed. Open shots. Jared Terrell was so good this year and the other 3 (EC, Jarvis, and Robinson) are awesome basketball players. In order to capitalize on their talent they have to speed the game up and play off of each other.

Get a front court player that can contribute right away? Further, can Cyril become a sophomore level Hassan Martin or something like that. Then what can the other bigs contribute? We dont need Iverson level talent at the 4. We just need a starting 4 and 5 that can give you something every night.

Win the A10 regular season? Really establish ourselves against the league. St Joes will be good next year if the injured guys recover well. Throw in that Charlie Brown and they will be tough.

A10 tournament in DC. Can we win it again? Really put together a golden special run here of back to back A10 champs. Auto bid.

Last, we wonder if this team can advance to the second weekend and beyond.

Lots to achieve next year. I expect one of the most exciting years in URI basketball history if Hurley can get the front court together. A dominating regular season. PC victory. Knock off someone else that is heralded in November. Win the conference and really make noise in March.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Why ? They certainly played like one. They could easily be sitting where Oregon is right now with a little luck.
and Oregon could easily be sitting where URI is with one missed shot at the end or a call that went differently.
The competition was that close, so at the time they WERE a contender the same as Oregon.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:I'm gonna pretend like you didn't just say we were a national championship contender....
Maybe that's a stretch, BUT we absolutely took a national championship contender to the final seconds and were one rebound (and/or one atrocious foul call) away from beating that title contender. We played championship caliber ball the past few weeks and proved that we could beat about anyone on a given night. We earned and deserved our seat at the table and it's time for us to thinking bigger.
6 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

the_one_mike wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:

If you aren't moving the target, then what are you doing? It's called setting goals and achieving them. That's how progression works. I'm not sure I understand the concept of being a fan of a team but not demanding excellence.

Nobody here is claiming they aren't enjoying this. Nobody here is avoiding the celebration. People here are suggesting ways to continue to move this program forward -- to at least match the trajectory we were on from the mid 80s to the opening of the Ryan Center.

To say something like, "we waited 18 years," is the exact reason it took 18 years to return. More like, 18 years of "fans" being complacent with mediocrity allowed their team to become a doormat. If you want to make it in intervals less than 18 years... you have to DEMAND growth.

I specifically remember being called a negative pessimist after the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Now, after this season, people look back and trash Baron and those years like it's nothing. Funny how the tone changes when you find yourself on the next level, huh? I'd expect no less if we rattled off a few tournament appearances, that people would look back at this season and talk about what a rocky road it was to actually get there. How can you realistically expect to make regular trips to the NCAA tournament if everything is unicorns and rainbows?

If you can't recognize that to achieve more you must consistently demand more, I'm not sure what to say. Just because you aren't a blind optimist that doesn't make you a pessimist, sorry.

Is Danny Hurley a pessimist because less than 48 hours after our season ended he was negotiating his contract and talking about the next improvements to our program? Give me a break, man.
I just don't get the attitude that little has been accomplished, when in fact Hurley has completely changed the culture and the program. Better players, bigger budget, better assistants, better facilities, better travel arrangements. All of those are bigger deals than the win over Creighton. Hurley will leave some day but the mark he has left on the program will continue. I see the program on the verge of sustained excellence. I just don't understand the angst -- he better recruit a forward; he better get back to the tournament. he better ....
7 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Iggy1979 wrote: I just don't get the attitude that little has been accomplished, when in fact Hurley has completely changed the culture and the program. Better players, bigger budget, better assistants, better facilities, better travel arrangements. All of those are bigger deals than the win over Creighton. Hurley will leave some day but the mark he has left on the program will continue. I see the program on the verge of sustained excellence. I just don't understand the angst -- he better recruit a forward; he better get back to the tournament. he better ....
TOTALLY get that. Believe me. But success is no reason for complacency.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the language of the way people post. Verbage like "he better" is just a reflection of the intensity that fan has for the team. Some of us are intense and it translates to the expectations of what we love. We should all be welcoming that type of fan with open arms... Not trying to put their opinions down because it seems demanding or unsatisfied. The greatest athletes of all time were never satisfied. That's a good place to start if we want to continue succeeding out of the A10.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

If you listened to Bill Koch on Dan Yorke's program the other night, they were talking about his article on improvements. Bill's main point was this is a tremendous opportunity to cash in on some items needed to move forward. He said in the past administrations, URI failed to capitalize other than the Ryan Center (has it really been 15 years?). He feels that Dooley and Bjorn along with Hurley both get it and are trying to do what they can to move the program forward. He thinks the 3 of them are more apt to accomplish something that past presidents and ADs have not been able to.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

It would make no sense for Dan to sign an extension and then leave a couple of weeks later. Part of the extension will be a bigger buyout.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

RF1 wrote:For those that are connecting the extension talk to Hurley not having any interest in the Georgetown job, consider the prospect that Thorr Bjorn's conversations about an extension with Dan were likely discussed early last week in the days after the return from Sacramento which was before the Hoyas job became open.
He had dinner with Dooley and Thor Friday night
5 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:It would make no sense for Dan to sign an extension and then leave a couple of weeks later. Part of the extension will be a bigger buyout.

Actually the opposite is more likely based on the current contract (through the 2021-22 season) buyout terms:

The contract’s existing buyout structure and other program enhancements remain in place. A one-time payment of $1 million after next season, a one-time payment of $1.2 million between the 2017-18 and 2019-20 seasons or a one-time payment of $500,000 after the 2020-21 season would be required to hire Hurley away from Kingston
0 x