Wichita State Moves to the AAC

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Possible Wichita State move to the AAC

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How about URI if we can sustain this success?
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Billyboy you never know!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

UCH21377 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:Would've liked to see them in the A10. This move is going to strengthen the AAC giving them several quality programs (Cincinnati, UConn, Wichita St., Temple and SMU - until they wind up on probation again) at the top of the conference. Adding them to the A10 would have made for an even stronger top of the conference (Without including us, Dayton, VCU, and Wichita St. would make for an excellent set of marquee league programs)

We should be VERY concerned about this. What if the AAC decides to go ahead and ramp up to 14 members for basketball? Dayton and VCU would be enticing wouldn't they? And a 14 team model is not bad, considering the movement to more conference games: two 7 team divisions, 19 game conference schedule. It scares me. UConn wants as many basketball schools as possible.
The A10 would be wise to up their exit fees and maybe put into place (if possible) that any team that leaves the conference has to schedule several home and homes. Or the A10 gets several home and homes with the offending conference in some manner.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rather than remain in a league losing its quality teams, be one of those quality teams that a league like that would covet.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

21377, UConn and Cincy want out of the AAC big time....both are lobbying hard to join the ACC....also I've heard rumors UConn wants back into the BE as a BB only member.

I could see Dayton and St. Louis leave to join the AAC.....but not VCU.

However I don't think any of the above are close to happening.

Guys, where would URI go? Where could they go?

BE? Dream on.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rambone I've read those things too about UConn but it looks like none of the P5 are in a hurry to expand right now. So plan B is to build up the AAC as much as possible, at least for basketball. If they keep losing, their status as a basketball power is in serious jeopardy, unless they can improve their conference's status, or move.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:21377, UConn and Cincy want out of the AAC big time....both are lobbying hard to join the ACC....also I've heard rumors UConn wants back into the BE as a BB only member.

I could see Dayton and St. Louis leave to join the AAC.....but not VCU.

However I don't think any of the above are close to happening.

Guys, where would URI go? Where could they go?

BE? Dream on.
As much as UCon might want to be back in the Big East for BB only, I can't see the BE doing that. They already tried to involve football schools, and look how it all shook out. Of course, they had a football league too, so maybe this would be different. I can tell you this, PC will do anything they can to keep us out, and Villanova doesn't want another Philly school, so LaSalle and SJU aren't going anywhere. I'm hearing Xavier doesn't want Dayton in the BE, which is odd b/c they came into the A10 together.

Hopefully the next time a conference shake up comes around, we'll be a team leagues would covet. Until then, the only 2 teams I could see moving are St. Louis since they are so far from the rest of the league and UMass b/c they need a home for football.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote:Rambone I've read those things too about UConn but it looks like none of the P5 are in a hurry to expand right now. So plan B is to build up the AAC as much as possible, at least for basketball. If they keep losing, their status as a basketball power is in serious jeopardy, unless they can improve their conference's status, or move.
UConn might need to do what Gonzaga did and be great despite their conference. However, Temple was also an A10 power, and Cincinnati was a power in whatever league they were in before the Big East, so assuming those teams can get back to that/remain, with Wichita State, they should be a decent conference. Consistently top 8. I'm going to start calling it the Power 8 - the 5 Power football leagues, plus A10, Big East, and AAC.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UMass is a possibility for the AAC yes......but the AAC's football TV contract is peanuts compared to the P5's......I doubt UMass could afford the travel costs involved.....even UConn is complaining about the money drain that football is......

Also the cash cow that is UConn women's BB could disappear in a few years when Geno retires....playing in a weak BB conference for both men's and women's BB is going to negatively affect them as time goes on.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gonzaga is in a unique situation....they devote so much more money to their program than anyone else in their conference except maybe St. Mary's....they stand alone or almost alone.

They are almost a lock to win their conference every year, or at least win so many games that they will get an at large bid. And they have that cache so to speak...they will get the benefit of any doubt at this point.

URI and the A10 are in no such position......now if the other top programs leave then we could end up like the Zags....dominate a weak conference year after year...or else we stay home. There would be no choice anymore. Spend the big bucks to stay on top.

At large bids for the mid majors are going to be harder and harder to get in the coming years.....see Wichita State leaving.....see Archie and Wade leaving.....the writing's on the wall. We will see more and more of this.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Gonzaga is in a unique situation....they devote so much more money to their program than anyone else in their conference except maybe St. Mary's....they stand alone or almost alone.

They are almost a lock to win their conference every year, or at least win so many games that they will get an at large bid. And they have that cache so to speak...they will get the benefit of any doubt at this point.

URI and the A10 are in no such position......now if the other top programs leave then we could end up like the Zags....dominate a weak conference year after year...or else we stay home. There would be no choice anymore. Spend the big bucks to stay on top.

At large bids for the mid majors are going to be harder and harder to get in the coming years.....see Wichita State leaving.....see Archie and Wade leaving.....the writing's on the wall. We will see more and more of this.
Sad but true
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Get rid of Duquesne and Fordham and go down to 12 teams. These schools play for high school sized crowds, and have performed at or near the bottom of the league for 20 years. Neither has shown any commitment to improving their stock thru facilities upgrades, coaching upgrades, etc.
League gets stronger thru subtraction, removes the possibility for RPI 200+ losses in most seasons based on their woeful W/L history. Increases the chances for the league to remain a multi-bid league, WHICH IS HUGE. Becoming a one bid league is a death sentence.

Division A: Dayton, URI, UMass, St Joes, Lasalle, St Bonaventure
Division B: VCU, Richmond, St. Louis, George Mason, GW, Davidson
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:Get rid of Duquesne and Fordham and go down to 12 teams. These schools play for high school sized crowds, and have performed at or near the bottom of the league for 20 years. Neither has shown any commitment to improving their stock thru facilities upgrades, coaching upgrades, etc.
League gets stronger thru subtraction, removes the possibility for RPI 200+ losses in most seasons based on their woeful W/L history. Increases the chances for the league to remain a multi-bid league, WHICH IS HUGE. Becoming a one bid league is a death sentence.

Division A: Dayton, URI, UMass, St Joes, Lasalle, St Bonaventure
Division B: VCU, Richmond, St. Louis, George Mason, GW, Davidson
I like this - a good 16 game schedule (home and home within division and 1 game each in the other, alternating years home).

I still like the divisions even if you keep Duquesne and Fordam (though I don't want them). This will make it a 19 game schedule.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BAR, I had suggested that the A10 and CAA merge with their best programs...of course the A10 has more than the CAA.....say the top 8 from the A10 and the top 4 from the CAA....then the ones left behind could form their own deal. Pipe dream? Sure. But a dream nevertheless.

Get rid of the dead wood.....have a higher percentage of good programs like the BE....get a better TV deal because of that.

The A10 has too many cow barns for arenas, and the attendance there is pitiful. There can be no national appeal with so many dregs.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And it's not even close, first school on speed dial if someone leaves is Siena. Since 2000 they have played in 4 NCAA's, 2 NIT's, 2 CBI's...they actually won the CBI in 2014 over Fresno State. Good coaching history. Great arena & great support. Throw out Lasalle who also plays in a high school gym and is irrelevant in Philly, and add Siena and you have a stronger 12 team league.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well I know a few of you read the VCU and Dayton boards, and they are getting fed up with remaining in the A10......their programs have so much more support in so many ways than most of the rest of the conference.

The natives are getting restless....they are still quite a ways ahead of us in commitment and revenue, but we should be closing the gap here in a couple of years.....although we will never be able to fill a 13K arena like Dayton does, even if we had one.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Bigappleram and Rambone 78 are spot on. The A-10 needs to be proactive here or risk falling behind even further. Dropping Fordham, Duquesne, and Lasalle would eliminate your worst facilities and commitment to play high major basketball. Adding Sienna would add Albany and a terrific fan base. I would love that 12 team conference and then I would create a dynamic schedule agreement with the AAC and others to get more top 50-75 opportunities for your at-large candidates.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah CT, I think the A10 is fiddling while Rome burns.......It would be awesome if they would trim the fat so to speak, but sad to say I don't see them dropping any members......with the Wichita St. acquisition the AAC has passed us by......and who knows what is next.

Fordham has a good FB program in the Patriot League that now has scholarships....they should move the BB program back over there too. That school's administration has no interest in replacing Rose Hill gym...until they do they will continue to suck in spite of the money they spend on the program. They also would be far more competitive in the PL. That's where they belong.

As for Duquesne and LaSalle? Where would they go? Not so easy a question. The MAAC maybe makes sense, but they don't need any more members, I think.

I also think Siena would be a good fit for the A10...but not sure if they have interest there....I know a while back there was talk about them and the BE....but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah CT, I think the A10 is fiddling while Rome burns.......It would be awesome if they would trim the fat so to speak, but sad to say I don't see them dropping any members......with the Wichita St. acquisition the AAC has passed us by......and who knows what is next.

Fordham has a good FB program in the Patriot League that now has scholarships....they should move the BB program back over there too. That school's administration has no interest in replacing Rose Hill gym...until they do they will continue to suck in spite of the money they spend on the program. They also would be far more competitive in the PL. That's where they belong.

As for Duquesne and LaSalle? Where would they go? Not so easy a question. The MAAC maybe makes sense, but they don't need any more members, I think.

I also think Siena would be a good fit for the A10...but not sure if they have interest there....I know a while back there was talk about them and the BE....but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

the AAC is on borrowed time already. That conference will cease to exist within a few years when the P5 makes their next grab...or as soon as BC stops blocking UConn from the ACC.

and realistically, adding WSU they pull even with the A10 last year...3 NCAA teams each, 0 Sweet 16 teams each
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I highly doubt that VCU and Dayton are looking to leave the A-10 for the AAC any time soon. There are a host of reasons:

AAC is probably more at risk for loss of members in near future
Would not be full members of AAC as they do not have football
Would be in a league where members value football, a sport they do no play, most
Would not get much more, if any, tv revenue (most of the AAC tv money relates to football which they would not get)
Travel expenses for all sports, especially olympic, would greatly increase as membership is very spread out
Would have to pay an exit fee to A-10
Would have to pay an entrance fee to AAC
Would likely not be immediately eligible for all AAC payment of NCAA basketball distributions as they were not in league when earned
AAC does not weight NCAA units to earning members as much as A-10 does (75%). More rewarding for a perennial tourney team to stay in A-10.
Would have to forfeit all NCAA units it has previously earned to A-10 (millions since each school has been to many tournaments in last 6 seasons)
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is there any recent precedent for a conference just straight dropping schools? I know this idea gets brought up a lot, and I am trying to think of any other examples of a conference just telling schools to leave and I can't think of any.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Is there any recent precedent for a conference just straight dropping schools? I know this idea gets brought up a lot, and I am trying to think of any other examples of a conference just telling schools to leave and I can't think of any.
I have asked the same question before. None.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
adam914 wrote:Is there any recent precedent for a conference just straight dropping schools? I know this idea gets brought up a lot, and I am trying to think of any other examples of a conference just telling schools to leave and I can't think of any.
I have asked the same question before. None.

Recent examples have been for football only members. Temple, a football only member of the big East from 1994-2004, was expelled for noncompetitiveness, poor fan support, and lack of institutional support.

More recently, UMass was expelled from the MAC as a football only member. This was however done only after UMass refused to join the league for all its other sports.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't think of any. That said, I can't think of reasons why the A10 shouldn't be the first to do it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I went to the Illinois State Message Board to see what's happening since Wichita State departed the Missouri Valley. Some interesting discussions there. Creighton left the MVC recently too for the Big East so they are scrambling.

Probably there will be realignment at some point in the future, as there has been historically. It's best to keep growing your program, your facilities, making yourself as attractive as possible to other leagues - some of which may not even have formed yet as sometimes new leagues start from nowhere and steal from others................many seem against the Basketball Practice Facility but it is also something that separates programs when these Conference alignment times come. PC, UCONN and UMASS all have new Practice Facilities built or in process. We have to make ourselves as attractive as possible to the A10 and other future possibilities. Keeping Hurley is a good first step, following his advice is a good second step, etc, etc

Personally I would be worried about losing St Louis, Dayton and VCU to a mid America conference like the proposed below:

From the Illinois State Board:
Here is one poster's proposal:

My proposal is to add VCU, Dayton, St. Mary's OR BYU, and St. Louis to make a 14 team league.

East: VCU, Dayton, Evansville, Indiana State, Loyola, Illinois State, Bradley
West: St. Mary's/BYU, Wichita State, Drake, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, St. Louis

That's a stronger than the WCC, MWC, and would easily pass the A-10 if they lost VCU and Dayton. That would put the MVC up there with the Big East and AAC battling for 6th place behind the P5 conferences. And, i better not hear a peep about travel from you NMSU people. VCU is the same distance from Wichita State as NMSU is from Evansville so the travel is equal. Obviously St. Mary's would have issues but BYU is not much farther. Would definitely be a three bid league and could see five bids sometimes.

http://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=80
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ramster wrote:I went to the Illinois State Message Board to see what's happening since Wichita State departed the Missouri Valley. Some interesting discussions there. Creighton left the MVC recently too for the Big East so they are scrambling.

Probably there will be realignment at some point in the future, as there has been historically. It's best to keep growing your program, your facilities, making yourself as attractive as possible to other leagues - some of which may not even have formed yet as sometimes new leagues start from nowhere and steal from others................many seem against the Basketball Practice Facility but it is also something that separates programs when these Conference alignment times come. PC, UCONN and UMASS all have new Practice Facilities built or in process. We have to make ourselves as attractive as possible to the A10 and other future possibilities. Keeping Hurley is a good first step, following his advice is a good second step, etc, etc

Personally I would be worried about losing St Louis, Dayton and VCU to a mid America conference like the proposed below:

From the Illinois State Board:
Here is one poster's proposal:

My proposal is to add VCU, Dayton, St. Mary's OR BYU, and St. Louis to make a 14 team league.

East: VCU, Dayton, Evansville, Indiana State, Loyola, Illinois State, Bradley
West: St. Mary's/BYU, Wichita State, Drake, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, St. Louis

That's a stronger than the WCC, MWC, and would easily pass the A-10 if they lost VCU and Dayton. That would put the MVC up there with the Big East and AAC battling for 6th place behind the P5 conferences. And, i better not hear a peep about travel from you NMSU people. VCU is the same distance from Wichita State as NMSU is from Evansville so the travel is equal. Obviously St. Mary's would have issues but BYU is not much farther. Would definitely be a three bid league and could see five bids sometimes.

http://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=80
I dont see VCU, SLU and Dayton leaving for that conference set up, especially since theres zero chance of WSU being involved. Especially the travel for VCU, thats essentially a cross country league

Take the A10 teams out of it and thats a yearly Juan Bid league
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of losing Fordham and Duquesne and if we replace getting better hoop schools

I would have loved Wichita for A10
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ok let's not get crazy here, A-10 is way better than the MVC so zero chance we lose anybody to that conference. But again, A-10 needs to stay on the attack. Reducing those bottom feeders discussed would drastically improve conference RPI, perception, etc.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Duquesne actually left the A10, I believe in the early 90's for 1-2 seasons and then we let them back in! I thought that was a bad move then and nothing has changed.
Last edited by RIFan 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RIFan wrote:Duquesne actually left the A10, I believe in the early 90's for 1-2 seasons and then we let them back in! I thought that was a bad move then and nothing has changed.
They left for 1 season (I think the 92/93 season - the year after Penn State left for the B1G). Returned when Xavier, Dayton, LaSalle, and Fordham joined, making it a 12 team conference.

Edit: It looks like they rejoined a year or two before X/D/L/F. Rutgers and W. Va left for big east in all sports, and Va Tech joined making it 12 teams:

URI, UMass, Temple, SJU, SBU, Fordham (east div) GW, Duq, X, Dayton, LaSalle, Va Tech (west div).

Va Tech went to Big East for all sports in 2000 (was football only) and we replaced them with Richmond.

In 2005 when Conf USA went all sports and kicked out non football schools Charlotte and SLU, we took them in for a 14 team league.

We then grabbed VCU and Butler for 2012/2013, making the A10 a 16 team conference (I think to replace Temple and Charlotte who previously announced they were joining the Big East and Conf USA for all sports the following season).

The following season, the big shake up happened with the ACC stealing many BE Schools and the BE in turn (again) pillaging the A10 of Xavier and Butler. GMU (who was supposed to join later) moved up their timeline and we took Davidson from the Southern leaving us where we are today.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

People on the La Salle board seem to really think the admin is thinking of leaving the A-10 for the MAAC. Apparently the La Salle AD mentioned the possibility in a radio interview and the university president even came on the forum and told everyone to stop talking about it in public. Imagine the URI present showing up here and doing that! Apparently the school is hurting for cash and has zero capability to even renovate it's high school level gym.

100% agree Siena is the best choice for a possible new A10 member. The situation with Siena and Albany is the same with Syracuse or Dayton. I would expect them to be a school that could get a few at large bids a decade in the A110.

If we get rid of Fordham then Iona makes a ton of sense they have 4 NCAA appearances since hiring Cluess 7 years ago. Won 20+ and made the post season every year. Looks like he could stay at Iona for a while and I would expect them to be good as long as he does.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

EGram wrote:People on the La Salle board seem to really think the admin is thinking of leaving the A-10 for the MAAC. Apparently the La Salle AD mentioned the possibility in a radio interview and the university president even came on the forum and told everyone to stop talking about it in public. Imagine the URI present showing up here and doing that! Apparently the school is hurting for cash and has zero capability to even renovate it's high school level gym.

100% agree Siena is the best choice for a possible new A10 member. The situation with Siena and Albany is the same with Syracuse or Dayton. I would expect them to be a school that could get a few at large bids a decade in the A110.

If we get rid of Fordham then Iona makes a ton of sense they have 4 NCAA appearances since hiring Cluess 7 years ago. Won 20+ and made the post season every year. Looks like he could stay at Iona for a while and I would expect them to be good as long as he does.
In theory, I like the idea of having Siena in over either Fordham or LaSalle, but I'd rather just cut down to 12, than add anyone new. But if we get down to 11 teams, then Siena would be great.

URI, Siena, UMass, SBU, Dayton, SJU
GW, VCU, Richmond, GMU, SLU, Davidson

That is ideal for a 2 division conference. But travel wise, SLU and Dayton should be together, and I like having GW/VCU/Richmond/GMU in the same division.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We need to be careful about which schools if any we add. The A10 doesn't need to stay at this many schools, we can have less than 14 schools. What's the point of dropping Fordham if we just add another dead weight school? Great, Iona is successful right now in the MAAC. What's to say they'd be successful in the A10? Iona's gym holds less than 3000 people and is over 40 years old. Do they have any plans to build something new? Seems like they have the same issues that we're killing Duquesne, Fordham, and La Salle about.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Only school worth adding is Siena, for all the reasons laid out (great arena, great support, good city). I like the idea of reducing to 12 as well, but if had my drothers we would drop all 3 of Duquesne, Fordham and Lasalle and add Siena to get to 12. GW, St Joe's and Davidson would be the only schools left in smallish gyms, but they all have had significant success in the recent past and remain valuable contributing members.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

UMass might be on the way out too because of football. That said, a ten team league that looks like this:

1. Davidson
2. Dayton
3. George Mason
4. George Washington
5. Us
6. Richmond
7. St. Bonaventure
8. St. Joseph's
9. St. Louis
10. VCU

with true round robin play home and away looks pretty damn good.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote:UMass might be on the way out too because of football. That said, a ten team league that looks like this:

1. Davidson
2. Dayton
3. George Mason
4. George Washington
5. Us
6. Richmond
7. St. Bonaventure
8. St. Joseph's
9. St. Louis
10. VCU

with true round robin play home and away looks pretty damn good.
That would be a good league. I'm old enough to remember when we wanted to kick out SBU lol.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We have been talking about this for years, getting rid of Fordham and Duquesne, and possibly adding someone. It has never happened yet and I'd be shocked (but happy) if it does.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I agree tossing out those 3 schools grabbing Siena and going to 12 schools would be ideal. However, I imagine it's more likely other scenarios happen.

I don't see the Dukes leaving but I think Fordham and La Salle are real possibilities that i'd rate at better than even odds if the A-10 really gave them an ultimatum. I also think the conference is more likely to replace these schools than go to 13 or 14 members.

I'm biased since I'm an Iona alumni and my family is from the area(ironically the first CBB game I went to was Dan Hurleys Seton hall team vs Iona). But I feel like if Fordham leaves Iona is the obvious choice for a replacement. The main reason people say we keep Fordham is because it gives us a school in the NYC market but Iona fulfills this also.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iona also fulfills the crappy, substandard gym criteria that's so important
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

No disrespect to the great New Ro and Iona...but no one in NYC media gives a rat's ass about Fordham or Iona. Dan and Hassan got more NY Post coverage in the last 4 years than either of those schools. To me infrastructure and fanbase are more impt than media markets in our conference.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Agreed, we never should have brought in Fordham in the first place. IF they go away and we insist on an NYC area school, I'd rather have either Mahattan or Hofstra. Manhattan is small, but Hofstra at over 5K isn't awful. Still there's no one in NYC that matters. St. John's was a big deal in NYC. They no longer are.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My proposal: Join the BE with Dayton. Would create 2 great rivalries, us and PC and Dayton and Xavier. Would benefit the league.

On 2 conditions....we build a practice facility and increase the capacity at the RC. That could leave football up in the air, but whatever.

April Fools! A few days late....but really, I would love this and I'll bet we all would.
1 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I don't mind moving to a ten team league either, look at what that is doing for the new big least. Dropping those three and adding Siena would work too. Certainly playing at the Barclays Sienna would significantly help the attendance there.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A major conference shakeup is only likely to happen if a bunch of schools decide to break off and form a new league, if that's even possible.

Like the old BE did with the Catholic 7.

The A10 ain't about to do jack shit by itself and we know it.
Last edited by rambone 78 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Reading all these other A-10 boards, Dayton and VCUare seen as the elite programs in the conference and rightfully so. If Hurley stays 7, 8, 10 years and continues to have success, how long will that perception change and we will be seen as one of the top 2-3 premier programs in the conference?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not really thrilled with the Siena's ionas manhattans hofstras of the world

I do hope we lose Fordham and Duquesne and get much better replacements
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

What sort of schools do you want to see reef?

A school like Siena might not be lighting it up performance wise now but they have almost ideal circumstance to become a mid major power if given the platform of the A10.. They already get good attendance, good arena, great local support. Siena basketball in Albany is like Dayton Basketball in Dayton.

Hofstra, Iona, Manhatten. I would take any of these over Fordham but I agree having a team in the NYC media area is hardly important. However it's reasonable to think the A10 disagrees. So, If Fordham goes expect us to pick up a team nearby, most likely one of the ones we mentioned.

Hofstra only gets slightly more people to attend games than Iona does and the school is an absolute dump. Granted t's better than Fordham but it's a notch below the MAAC schools imo.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fordham is much better than Hofstra. They had a nice 2 season run about 5 years ago with their NBA drafted player Charles Jenkins. Otherwise it's not an A10 program. Siena is interesting. Iona isn't bad but the A10 is getting a lot of teams from low mid majors. Davidson panned out, but George Mason has not. Rather see a team from a Mountain West type caliber conference.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Sucks that George Mason hired Paul Hewitt. He killed pretty much all their final four momentum. Paulsen seems to be directing them in the right direction now though.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CT Rhody wrote:Reading all these other A-10 boards, Dayton and VCUare seen as the elite programs in the conference and rightfully so. If Hurley stays 7, 8, 10 years and continues to have success, how long will that perception change and we will be seen as one of the top 2-3 premier programs in the conference?
It depends, a deep run in the tournament really changes perception ... Dayton is only seen as elite because they made the Elite 8. That's what got people talking about them. If you take out the Elite 8 run, Dayton is only 2-8 in Round of 64 and higher games since 2000. Could argue the same thing about VCU, they are only 4-9 outside of their Final Four run but the Final Four run is what drew awareness, and it doesn't hurt both have basically been in the tournament every year for 4+ seasons. So I would say if URI makes the tournament 4+ straight years and has a borderline historic season, they can and probably should join the conversation with those other schools. As of right now, they are a one-hit wonder.
0 x