EC staying...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

EC staying...

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Last edited by ATPTourFan 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: EC staying...

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Why is this news?
No way he gets drafted by NBA this year.
Loads of guards everywhere, with Ball, Fultz,
Monk, Fox, Morris, Mason, Hart, Kennard, and a load of others
coming out.
5 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Kind of weird that he would say all that stuff in the GoRhody.com article when he just plans on transferring to Providence.
17 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There were threads on other boards (PC, St. Joe's, A-10 cesspool, etc) pushing the story that EC would transfer via the graduate rule. Some had him going back home to play for Michigan State to get to the NCAA in his last year. St Joe's fans seemed to be actually rooting for this to happen with one opining that it would be "hilarious" if URI were to lose both EC and Hurley at the same time. Another Hawk fan was also spreading this rumor on the A-10 cesspool board.

I think the A-10 Championship and NCAA run very much lessened the possibility that EC would leave. I think with these goals reached, it would be very tough for him to leave the coaches and players that supported him during his rehab and return to play.

SHU Hawks Thread:
http://www.scout.com/college/saint-jose ... -like-that

PC Thread:
http://www.scout.com/college/providence ... ec-mathews
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The only "news" I see here is I don't think he'd announce this now if there was any chance Hurley was leaving.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Great news

I think he is going to be better than most expect next season.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He needs another year off that knee injury to work on his game

He's got a shot to get drafted if he puts that work in
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Guys I want to announce that I will be returning to the board this season, I too am not testing the NBA draft waters.

On a serious note, if the EC who showed up down the stretch shows up all year next year and leads us to an NCAA run? We will be buying NBA jerseys with a Matthews on the back.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Expect the brace to be gone next year. And it sounds like he'll have some clean-up work during the off-season.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rumor has been around a while that EC could play his 5th year somewhere else, as many players are currently announcing, maybe even go with DH somewhere.
PC board recently had 3 pages on EC possibly going to PC. Doesn't mean it's true or remotely true but it's out there. Funny a poster referred to EC as being the PTBNL in the Sly Williams deal.
Not so much about NBA but more so the statement confirms that EC will play at URI next season
As Iggy says, it lends more credence that Hurley will return next season also.
Good news all around.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Iggy1979 wrote:The only "news" I see here is I don't think he'd announce this now if there was any chance Hurley was leaving.
BINGO. And on the PC thread it was also hilarious to read one of their posters say that EC was a "cancer" and another post where Seanie the water boy called Hassan Martin "chirpy" and inferred he was an unlikable player. Could you be any further from the truth in both cases. Ill informed trolls, just like the voice of the Friars John Rooke. Go Rhody!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:The only "news" I see here is I don't think he'd announce this now if there was any chance Hurley was leaving.
BINGO. And on the PC thread it was also hilarious to read one of their posters say that EC was a "cancer" and another post where Seanie the water boy called Hassan Martin "chirpy" and inferred he was an unlikable player. Could you be any further from the truth in both cases. Ill informed trolls, just like the voice of the Friars John Rooke. Go Rhody!
Yes, Cooley has carried on the great Friar tradition of bringing in great, likable, high character guys like Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock. We should be so lucky.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge that he hit 10-15 three pointers in the 3 A10 games.

KINGSTON, R.I. — Junior guard E.C. Matthews has decided to return to Rhode Island for his final season of eligibility and decline his opportunity to apply for early entry for the 2017 NBA Draft.

"Over the last 16 months, I have experienced the lowest of lows and the highest of highs. I worked tirelessly to return to the court and to be able to play the game I love with some of my best friends in the world at an institution that has welcomed me from day one. Since last November, my individual goals were to become a better player and student of the game," Matthews said.

The Detroit native led the Rams in scoring this season, averaging just under 15.0 points per game. He was named the Most Outstanding Player of the 2017 Atlantic 10 Championship - scoring close to 20.0 points per game and connecting on 10-of-15 from beyond the 3-point arc on the three game run to glory.

Matthews added, "This past season, our band of brothers achieved our team goals and accomplished something that had only been done once previously at Rhode Island — win the Atlantic 10 Championship. Next season, I look forward to wearing the Keaney Blue for my final season of college eligibility and to again take the court with my family as we aim on making more history for the Rhode Island men's basketball program."

"We believe he will be one of the best guards in the country in 2017-18," said head coach Dan Hurley. "He came to Kingston as one of our program's building blocks and has the opportunity to leave as one of the best players in Rhode Island basketball history."

Per NCAA rules, underclassmen are permitted to "test the waters" as they pursue a potential professional career in basketball and return to college by a deadline of May 24, 2017 - 10 days following the NBA Draft Combine held from May 9-14 in Chicago.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote:Rumor has been around a while that EC could play his 5th year somewhere else, as many players are currently announcing, maybe even go with DH somewhere.
PC board recently had 3 pages on EC possibly going to PC. Doesn't mean it's true or remotely true but it's out there. Funny a poster referred to EC as being the PTBNL in the Sly Williams deal.
There was literally one guy on the PC board who mentioned EC going there and everyone else said no shot. People on this board have pushed that rumor more than anyone on the PC board.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC fans started that thread because they hate us succeeding and wanted to tell themselves that EC won't be around, same for Hurley. Guess what, were making another run!
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
ramster wrote:Rumor has been around a while that EC could play his 5th year somewhere else, as many players are currently announcing, maybe even go with DH somewhere.
There was literally one guy on the PC board who mentioned EC going there and everyone else said no shot. People on this board have pushed that rumor more than anyone on the PC board.
No doubt. I did not mean to imply that it was 3 pages of people agreeing to the rumor, only that the thread got that amount of attention. The rumor had been around even before that thread was created and has been on other boards.

Bottom line is that this announcement clears the air. Many players go to other schools for their 5th year. It is becoming more and more popular. Kethan Savage from GW being a recent example going to the Big East this year.

More importantly, this announcement also will help recruiting undecided HS Seniors, Junior College Players and available 5th year seniors. When they know 100% sure that the MVP of this year's A10 Tournament is returning along with all their guards plus an incoming top HS PG then players (Big Men) could be interested in the possibility of being part of this team - especially considering the success of this year's team.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next 4 weeks recruiting wise.
Last edited by ramster 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Blue Man wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
Yes, Cooley has carried on the great Friar tradition of bringing in great, likable, high character guys like Brandon Austin and Rodney Bullock. We should be so lucky.
And let's not forget Ricky Ledo and Kiwi Gardner...........(who names their kid kiwi anyhow.........gee tks alot mom and dad.)If we ever even recruited guys like that they would be leading the charge to make sure we can't issue bachelor degrees anymore.....and oh yeah pc fans... Dave gavit is still dead
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rodfromcranston wrote:Why is this news?
No way he gets drafted by NBA this year.
Loads of guards everywhere, with Ball, Fultz,
Monk, Fox, Morris, Mason, Hart, Kennard, and a load of others
coming out.
because of a little thing called grad transferring
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm pretty sure I heard him say he would be back next year during an interview with a reporter during the NCAA Tournament. I remember him saying it. I just don't remember to whom.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Honest question.
Does anyone know for certain that EC's graduating before the
Fall semester?
If he's not, the possible graduate transfer, is empty speculation.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

"Next season, I look forward to wearing the Keaney Blue for my final season of college eligibility and to again take the court with my family as we aim on making more history for the Rhode Island men's basketball program."

EC's statement....seems safe that he is here next year.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Rhodymob05 wrote:PC fans started that thread because they hate us succeeding and wanted to tell themselves that EC won't be around, same for Hurley. Guess what, were making another run!

One PC fan started that thread and most people responded that it was ridiculous, and in poor taste. One fan also said Matthews was a cancer, and this was also disputed by most respondents, including me.
Every board has nutty posters, but most are just people supporting their team. Also most people in the Friar board were happy for the players on the URI team who battled a lot of adversity to get where they did. Finally, most local residents recognize that it's good for everyone when PC and URI are both doing well.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We all have them
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bigsnoop wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:PC fans started that thread because they hate us succeeding and wanted to tell themselves that EC won't be around, same for Hurley. Guess what, were making another run!

One PC fan started that thread and most people responded that it was ridiculous, and in poor taste. One fan also said Matthews was a cancer, and this was also disputed by most respondents, including me.
Every board has nutty posters, but most are just people supporting their team. Also most people in the Friar board were happy for the players on the URI team who battled a lot of adversity to get where they did. Finally, most local residents recognize that it's good for everyone when PC and URI are both doing well.
I respect that response and will correct myself to "a portion of the PC fan base" rather than Pc fans in general, but I know PC fans that were as happy as ever when we lost vs Oregon and gave uri zero respect and pissed me off. Just to help you understand where my emotions were coming from while writing that post.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

#thedunk
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Hmmm...Jared Terrell is # 20. That must mean Hass is in the top 10!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprising that EC is 9 spots ahead of Jared based on last year alone
0 x