Koch on URI BB Commitment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Koch on URI BB Commitment

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe we could do a deal with the Millers.

Since Sean and Archie won't play each other, and Dan and Bobby the same.....get Bobby to play Dayton and we get Arizona.....

Arizona St. I would think is a team on the rise as are we.......why not? I know, probably not.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:
scine20 wrote: Just a month ago you were begging him to leave.
I don't know if I was begging him to leave, but things were definitely leaning that way. And I wasn't alone in that regard.

Things changed...I think Dan, while not a finished coaching product, has improved quite a bit in his handling of game strategy.

There are some things left to work on....but what happened the last 2 minutes against Oregon weren't his fault......
Bone, don't be so modest. You saw this all coming!
rambone 78 wrote:Good show...had a good talk with DH afterward...then with ATP... all is good....things will be on the uptick in the future......
TP....funny funny ha ha.....if I was that clairvoyant I would be buying Powerball tickets......and URI would have a new football stadium.....
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Bone that is an actual Bone quote. No embellishment. It was after one of the coach's shows.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I know......wish I could take credit for the turnaround......but yes I'm much too modest for that......
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Not too many P5 teams are going to play a dangerous mid on the mid's home court.
What's the different and or consequence of playing a P5 vs non P5 if both teams are good? There's none. RPI and SOS would still be the same.
If you were a P5 team looking to schedule somebody right now, would you have confidence that URI will be a high RPI team next year? Sure, we had a great run, but that doesn't guarantee anything for next year. That's how a P5 school might look at it.
Sure, I'll agree there's more speculation that teams "trust" that someone like Indiana could be good next year compared to URI, but wait a second, Indiana tanked and had an awful RPI and didn't make the tourney, so why not URI? That was the entire point of making the tourney in relation to reputation. Now people should "trust" URI. I would take Witchita State over say Georgia Tech for example.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
When did we have a home and home with Arizona?
We might play Seton Hall in the NIT tip off next year.. as well as Vandy and UVA.

With the NIT tip off and the PC game we have three marquee games against tournament teams right there.
I'd say we'd need to at least get a couple more for good measure. 5 games against tournament teams would be greaaat. Win 3 of them and your resume is solid.
Hey why don't we play at Kentucky next year? :)
PC did.
Rematch of the 1945 NIT championship! Lets avenge Keaney's gang!
We had a home and home with Arizona back in the 90s. Skinner was coach. I don't remember the years, but we went out there one year and the next we played them at the Dunk.
January 2, 1993 we lost 87-79 @ Arizona: 19-11 (8-6 in A10), beat Purdue in NCAA, then lost to UNC 112-67 in Winston Salem
January 7, 1995 we lost 82-67 @ providence civic center: 7-20 (2-14 in A10) Arizona was the 3rd loss in what would be a 13 game losing streak that season
Thanks Ramster for supplying the dates. I guess it wasn't back to back years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Maybe we could do a deal with the Millers.

Since Sean and Archie won't play each other, and Dan and Bobby the same.....get Bobby to play Dayton and we get Arizona.....

Arizona St. I would think is a team on the rise as are we.......why not? I know, probably not.
Now that's thinking outside the box!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

We played Arizona in Hurley's second season, and we got
smoked.
They won't play us anywhere but at home.
I'm sure if URI wanted to play anyone on the
road, that would be fine with the opponent.
The SMU home and home was made before SMU
got to be an AAC power.
The best hope is going to tournaments in
November, like they did this season.
The pre-season NIT was a bomb a few years ago.
We had like 800 people here for those two home games,
which were not part of the season ticket package.
That year included having to play a D-2 school in that
tournament.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
ramster wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
We had a home and home with Arizona back in the 90s. Skinner was coach. I don't remember the years, but we went out there one year and the next we played them at the Dunk.
January 2, 1993 we lost 87-79 @ Arizona: 19-11 (8-6 in A10), beat Purdue in NCAA, then lost to UNC 112-67 in Winston Salem
January 7, 1995 we lost 82-67 @ providence civic center: 7-20 (2-14 in A10) Arizona was the 3rd loss in what would be a 13 game losing streak that season
Thanks Ramster for supplying the dates. I guess it wasn't back to back years.
You are welcome. It was not back to back but you are right it was a home and home. Note the URI game was played at the Dunk also which was part of the agreement.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:We played Arizona in Hurley's second season, and we got smoked.
I drove 6.5 hours to watch that game. Perhaps not my wisest decision.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rodfromcranston wrote:We played Arizona in Hurley's second season, and we got
smoked.
got to be an AAC power.
tournament.
They've changed the format of the preseason NIT, probably because of issues like that. Back then it was more of a traditional tournament, so they couldn't include the two games we played on campus because if we beat Arizona we would have been going to MSG. Now, it's more like the Mohegan tournament, so those two games will be in season ticket packages and we advance to Barclays whether we win or lose.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Preseason tournaments across the country will take a hit next year, due to the Phil Knight 80th birthday Nike tournament next year in Oregon. That event will include Arkansas, Butler, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Two games at MSG with a pod of four teams that just went to the NCAA sounds good to me.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:We played Arizona in Hurley's second season, and we got
smoked.
got to be an AAC power.
tournament.
They've changed the format of the preseason NIT, probably because of issues like that. Back then it was more of a traditional tournament, so they couldn't include the two games we played on campus because if we beat Arizona we would have been going to MSG. Now, it's more like the Mohegan tournament, so those two games will be in season ticket packages and we advance to Barclays whether we win or lose.
When we played Zona they had already changed the format. We weren't going to MSG had we won. They changed it about 10 years ago after Gardner Webb won at Rupp Arena and they ended up at MSG instead of Kentucky
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some comments in Koch's article that probably belong here as well.

"It was about 12 hours of decompression and maybe 20 hours of recovery," Hurley said. "Then it becomes meeting with the folks here and expressing the desire to want to raise the bar, to support these great players even more."

"We've made some significant investments in the program over the last couple years – that's helped," Bjorn said. "But we can't stop."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... nter-rally
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hurley made it clear in his statements that URI has to make the necessary commitments to continue to keep this success going.

And Thorr's last 4 words "But we can't stop" says it all.

The first big step has been made...but there are more to come to get on a level field with Dayton and VCU....our BB budget isn't at their level.
1 x
NorthernRamFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NorthernRamFan »

Hello, if you're someone sitting on your bank book of massive amounts of cash it's time to open that sucker up... this program needs things that are a no brainer. Like an actual practice facility, a video room, another facelift to our locker room, things that you go "oh wow" about other programs now need to be built here to continue this year's success. Check out Dayton's locker room alone and ask "wow, Danny has to recruit against those amenities?"

http://www.daytonflyers.com/sports/2013 ... ath=mbball

Or how about VCU, who's practice facility has multiple courts that their weight room and players lounge is directly/openly connected to it... take a look

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sporting ... imiqvcd70s

Or how about UMass who can't get anyone to take their coaching job, but have this

https://www.google.com/amp/www.masslive ... _baske.amp

Or how about "Big brother" PC... oh you say it's just Alumni Hall that's their facility? Nope they opened the checkbook too! Take a look

http://m.golocalprov.com/sports/new-pc- ... tic-center

Soooo yes we've only been to the dance 1 time in 18 years, but anyone in business has heard the phrase "sometimes you've gotta spend money to make even more!"

Sooo let's make a business investment, not just because Dan Hurley is our head coach and we don't want him to leave, but because this is modern college athletics and we're still in the Stone Age...

Oh, btw, most of this can be fixed by using Tootell's building shell and build the goodies inside with a facelift outside...

Pony up!

#GoRhody
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NorthernRamFan wrote:Hello, if you're someone sitting on your bank book of massive amounts of cash it's time to open that sucker up... this program needs things that are a no brainer. Like an actual practice facility, a video room, another facelift to our locker room, things that you go "oh wow" about other programs now need to be built here to continue this year's success. Check out Dayton's locker room alone and ask "wow, Danny has to recruit against those amenities?"

http://www.daytonflyers.com/sports/2013 ... ath=mbball

Or how about VCU, who's practice facility has multiple courts that their weight room and players lounge is directly/openly connected to it... take a look

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sporting ... imiqvcd70s

Or how about UMass who can't get anyone to take their coaching job, but have this

https://www.google.com/amp/www.masslive ... _baske.amp

Or how about "Big brother" PC... oh you say it's just Alumni Hall that's their facility? Nope they opened the checkbook too! Take a look

http://m.golocalprov.com/sports/new-pc- ... tic-center

Soooo yes we've only been to the dance 1 time in 18 years, but anyone in business has heard the phrase "sometimes you've gotta spend money to make even more!"

Sooo let's make a business investment, not just because Dan Hurley is our head coach and we don't want him to leave, but because this is modern college athletics and we're still in the Stone Age...

Oh, btw, most of this can be fixed by using Tootell's building shell and build the goodies inside with a facelift outside...

Pony up!

#GoRhody
Not making excuses, we do need more investment in basketball, but a quick look will give some explanations as well. I do think we are at step 1 of seeing an increase in basketball support. We got in and got a win, now we can start stacking ncaa credits and really start going big

PC and Dayton are private institutions. thats apples and oranges. they have completely different tuition ranges as well as not having the same restrictions and regulations on how funds are used compared to public universities.

UMass and VCU boils down to enrollment. They are both far larger universities than we are and have a larger money pool because of it.

URI - 16,218
VCU - 31,242
UMass - 28,635

And thats not getting into VCU tickets costing upwards of thousands more per seat than URI and they have PSLs. In addition they dont have football competing for dollars against basketball.

I'd love for URI to finally drop that albatross and commit to being a purely basketball school.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We will never drop football and it's not an albatross. 99% of the athletic departments in the country operate in the red...it comes with the "nonprofit/student athlete territory."

The programs that don't are the 10 elite football programs in the country.

Football costs URI about 300k/year. It would actually cost more to disband it and would severely mess up our Title IX requirements.

Nevermind that it still brings a few thousand people to campus several weekends a year who wouldn't otherwise come. Cancelling football is a nonstarter and a foolish conversation to have.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

VCU isn't a great program because they don't have football, it has to do with how they performed on the floor. UMASS has tons of money, and not much to show for it. URI football is a huge marketing tool for URI like Blueman stated and showcases the campus,allows ticket buyers to look at pres-season basketball ticket prices, scheduling ect. Announcements are made during the football games about the upcoming basketball season as well.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:We will never drop football and it's not an albatross. 99% of the athletic departments in the country operate in the red...it comes with the "nonprofit/student athlete territory."

Football costs URI about 300k/year. It would actually cost more to disband it and would severely mess up our Title IX requirements.

Nevermind that it still brings a few thousand people to campus several weekends a year who wouldn't otherwise come. Cancelling football is a nonstarter and a foolish conversation to have.
We lose $500,000 a year on football, it would not cost more to disband it and it would not mess up Title IX
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Preseason tournaments across the country will take a hit next year, due to the Phil Knight 80th birthday Nike tournament next year in Oregon. That event will include Arkansas, Butler, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.
Shame they couldn't get any good teams for this.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: We lose $500,000 a year on football, it would not cost more to disband it and it would not mess up Title IX

If losing money is the deciding factor, should URI then drop just about EVERY athletics program its sponsors as they all pretty much lose money? One would even think the basketball program is not out of bounds. It generates the most revenue but also has the biggest expenses. I am not even sure it operates at a profit every year. Should it be dropped if it loses money too?

Athletic programs at schools were not originally established to make money. The money making emphasis is relatively new coming on strong in the last few decades. Athletic programs were originally intended to give students the opportunity to compete in sports they loved, make student athletes well rounded, let students represent their schools, build school spirit (students faculty, staff, and alums), and add to the quality of campus life.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Preseason tournaments across the country will take a hit next year, due to the Phil Knight 80th birthday Nike tournament next year in Oregon. That event will include Arkansas, Butler, Connecticut, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Portland, Portland State, Stanford and Texas.
Shame they couldn't get any good teams for this.

This is what makes our NIT Season Tipoff participation next year even more impressive. Rhody will be at Barclays with three other NCAA teams (Virginia, VAndy, and Seton Hall). That would be a great tournament for URI in any year. To do so next season is that much more remarkable. The Phil Knight Nike Tournament has the biggest names in college basketball and it will make them unavailable for other events. The competing tournament fields for next year are going to be very watered down. It will mean that many schools will not get the opportunity to face high profile (and likely high RPI) teams on neutral courts in tourneys. This will mean even less opportunities for big wins for teams outside the power conferences. As we have seen, wins against top 50 teams is a key factor in NCAA selection. The Nike tournament will therefore have a big ripple effect and hurt many non P5 teams.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote: We lose $500,000 a year on football, it would not cost more to disband it and it would not mess up Title IX

If losing money is the deciding factor, should URI then drop just about EVERY athletics program its sponsors as they all pretty much lose money? One would even think the basketball program is not out of bounds. It generates the most revenue but also has the biggest expenses. I am not even sure it operates at a profit every year. Should it be dropped if it loses money too?

Athletic programs at schools were not originally established to make money. The money making emphasis is relatively new coming on strong in the last few decades. Athletic programs were originally intended to give students the opportunity to compete in sports they loved, make student athletes well rounded, let students represent their schools, build school spirit (students faculty, staff, and alums), and add to the quality of campus life.
I'm not even getting into should we or should we not keep football. I've done it plenty, I'm sure I'll do it a ton more, but to me this isn't the right thread for it. Blue Man cited an inaccurate figure and I posted a correction.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:We will never drop football and it's not an albatross. 99% of the athletic departments in the country operate in the red...it comes with the "nonprofit/student athlete territory."

We lose $500,000 a year on football, it would not cost more to disband it and it would not mess up Title IX
Apologies for the rushed number quote while typing on my phone. In a near 30 million dollar budget football costs about 1.3 and brings in 800k. Not exactly killing the department. If we're sticking with the winged creatures argument, instead of an albatross, football is more or less a hummingbird. The 2.3 million in scholarships would just be re-allocated to student aid, so no difference there.

Um, yes. It would mess up Title IX because you have to provide an equal number of scholarships to both men and women respective to the enrollment at the university. URI is a 50/50 split, maybe a little more female students. So you have 60 or so scholarships that would vanish and then how do you fill that gap? Add 4 more men's sports teams that will just burn more money than the operating cost of football without a shred of hope to turn a profit?

You'd have to cut a shit load of women's sports even if you were to add men's hockey or something else. Now you lose the donor base from all those families and alums that will not look fondly back on their school or donate or be fans in the future - they probably leave for other schools (plus all the football players you just got rid of). Plus the fact that now you're shrinking the overall athletic department and need for it to exist because now a whole lot less student-athletes exist and now more people can say "wow why am i paying athletics fees i dont even know any athletes." Probably not the best move.

But, let's say we ignore the above factors and press through with your cut-football plan. So now that we've cost the university millions in prospective donations from all of those families - we also how to consider how you make up the gap for the 200-300k that football donors give to the football program alone - nevermind the peripheral money they also provide to athletics? Where do you make up the increased money that Adidas gives any 1AA football school that just shows up? Do you think they're throwing that same kind of cash behind hockey or women's rowing?

For the bajillionth time - college athletics are not as simple as "this team is good on the field so they bring in money" and "this team is bad on the field lets cut them." There are revenue sports, and then there are all the other ones. Football and basketball are the former, baseball, hockey, soccer, rowing, swimming, track, cross country, softball, women's sports, etc are the latter.

ANYONE who has worked in collegiate athletics or understands even the simplest of concepts here understands that.

Yes, at URI, basketball is capable of bringing in significantly more money than football. It is our premier, big money program and is treated as such. It has first dibs on everything and gets the best of everything as it should, because it brings the most fans and can bring in the most money.

After men's basketball, 1 afternoon football game brings in more attendance than every other URI D1 program combined in a season.

Just because you don't go to any football games doesn't mean there literally aren't thousands of people who do. Anyone who thinks cutting football is the right decision is so fantastically wrong I cannot even begin to explain it.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The only discussion about the football program worth having is how to improve it.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agree that we need to be focused on making football better. We need to be in a position for future conference shake-ups to be aligned with a football playing conference. When the AAC ultimately retools and UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple are looking for partners other than doormats of Tulane etc we should be ready. We can be the football doormat that offers a quality and more local basketball program than Tulane.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Apologies for the rushed number quote while typing on my phone. In a near 30 million dollar budget football costs about 1.3 and brings in 800k. Not exactly killing the department. If we're sticking with the winged creatures argument, instead of an albatross, football is more or less a hummingbird. The 2.3 million in scholarships would just be re-allocated to student aid, so no difference there.

Um, yes. It would mess up Title IX because you have to provide an equal number of scholarships to both men and women respective to the enrollment at the university. URI is a 50/50 split, maybe a little more female students. So you have 60 or so scholarships that would vanish and then how do you fill that gap? Add 4 more men's sports teams that will just burn more money than the operating cost of football without a shred of hope to turn a profit?

You'd have to cut a shit load of women's sports even if you were to add men's hockey or something else. Now you lose the donor base from all those families and alums that will not look fondly back on their school or donate or be fans in the future - they probably leave for other schools (plus all the football players you just got rid of). Plus the fact that now you're shrinking the overall athletic department and need for it to exist because now a whole lot less student-athletes exist and now more people can say "wow why am i paying athletics fees i dont even know any athletes." Probably not the best move.

But, let's say we ignore the above factors and press through with your cut-football plan. So now that we've cost the university millions in prospective donations from all of those families - we also how to consider how you make up the gap for the 200-300k that football donors give to the football program alone - nevermind the peripheral money they also provide to athletics? Where do you make up the increased money that Adidas gives any 1AA football school that just shows up? Do you think they're throwing that same kind of cash behind hockey or women's rowing?

For the bajillionth time - college athletics are not as simple as "this team is good on the field so they bring in money" and "this team is bad on the field lets cut them." There are revenue sports, and then there are all the other ones. Football and basketball are the former, baseball, hockey, soccer, rowing, swimming, track, cross country, softball, women's sports, etc are the latter.

ANYONE who has worked in collegiate athletics or understands even the simplest of concepts here understands that.

Yes, at URI, basketball is capable of bringing in significantly more money than football. It is our premier, big money program and is treated as such. It has first dibs on everything and gets the best of everything as it should, because it brings the most fans and can bring in the most money.

After men's basketball, 1 afternoon football game brings in more attendance than every other URI D1 program combined in a season.

Just because you don't go to any football games doesn't mean there literally aren't thousands of people who do. Anyone who thinks cutting football is the right decision is so fantastically wrong I cannot even begin to explain it.

Great post, agree 100%
1 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

All the schools you mention are playing FBS level football.
URI will never be FBS, so the AAC football is out of reach.
URI can't even compete in the CAA, let alone with FBS schools.
There are high schools down South who have better football
facilities than URI.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:All the schools you mention are playing FBS level football.
facilities than URI.
Exactly my point, we will never be FBS (or have our own sports network, or have the ability to fill 100k seat stadiums) so we will never be a "profitable" athletic department, much like the thousands of other colleges that aren't.

URI could compete in the CAA, Daren Rizzi showed that we "could" as those games were close and competitive. Honestly a few more years of him may have changed things. To be fair though, Fleming did just bring in the #1 recruiting class in the CAA, so time will tell with him.

As far as "facilities" go - it depends what you're talking about. Weightlifting and support facilities, honestly URI is on the level of some FBS programs there. If you haven't seen our weight room and support facilities you need to. They're top notch. That's why we've been getting the recruits we have in both football and basketball.

As far as the stadium goes? There are high school programs in this state with better and newer facilities. Meade needs a facelift or razing. That will take time and is just a reality.

My larger point was that we suck at football, have sucked at football, and yet we continue to bring in 800k in revenue a year no matter what. The cost to the university is insignificant in it's present state. The non-monetary benefits are numerous and have been listed ad-nauseum.

With that said about our continued sucking and 800k incoming revenue...could you imagine if we got good? If we don't? Who cares we stay where we're at...if we somehow turn the program around? The risk/reward here is so low/high that it would be dumb to not continue trying.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:All the schools you mention are playing FBS level football.
facilities than URI.
Exactly my point, we will never be FBS (or have our own sports network, or have the ability to fill 100k seat stadiums) so we will never be a "profitable" athletic department, much like the thousands of other colleges that aren't.

URI could compete in the CAA, Daren Rizzi showed that we "could" as those games were close and competitive. Honestly a few more years of him may have changed things. To be fair though, Fleming did just bring in the #1 recruiting class in the CAA, so time will tell with him.

As far as "facilities" go - it depends what you're talking about. Weightlifting and support facilities, honestly URI is on the level of some FBS programs there. If you haven't seen our weight room and support facilities you need to. They're top notch. That's why we've been getting the recruits we have in both football and basketball.

As far as the stadium goes? There are high school programs in this state with better and newer facilities. Meade needs a facelift or razing. That will take time and is just a reality.

My larger point was that we suck at football, have sucked at football, and yet we continue to bring in 800k in revenue a year no matter what. The cost to the university is insignificant in it's present state. The non-monetary benefits are numerous and have been listed ad-nauseum.

With that said about our continued sucking and 800k incoming revenue...could you imagine if we got good? If we don't? Who cares we stay where we're at...if we somehow turn the program around? The risk/reward here is so low/high that it would be dumb to not continue trying.
Yeah, like Hendricken. And sometimes Hendricken gets better recruits than URI.....Kwity Paye. (Oops, I'm not supposed to say that Hendrcken recruits.)
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

and if we get good at football, you'll see revenue drop. The large chunk of that revenue is because we've gotten pay for play games against FCS teams looking for an exhibition tune up. Get good and those disappear.

The football program, is and always has been a turd. Sorry, there are no off field benefits from being a 1-3 win a year team that keeps dropping divisions to "compete"
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:and if we get good at football, you'll see revenue drop. The large chunk of that revenue is because we've gotten pay for play games against FCS teams looking for an exhibition tune up. Get good and those disappear.

The football program, is and always has been a turd. Sorry, there are no off field benefits from being a 1-3 win a year team that keeps dropping divisions to "compete"
They've never dropped divisions. They were about to drop down to a lower conference, officially announced it, but decided against it and returned to the CAA. They never played a game in the lower conference. I'm sure it still hurt, but that statement is false.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:and if we get good at football, you'll see revenue drop. The large chunk of that revenue is because we've gotten pay for play games against FCS teams looking for an exhibition tune up. Get good and those disappear.

Is that true? James Madison, who won the Championship, was paid $425k to go beat SMU in 2015. This past season North Carolina paid to bring them in, and next season ECU will pay to bring them in.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Disagree - those buy games still exist no matter how "good" your 1AA program is. With the exception of Appalachain State beating a very high Michigan team several years ago and JMU over SMU last year, 1AA schools are never a danger to win and they're always needed as a tune up for 1A schools as a game that doesn't count against them.

Also - if we get good at football, then you play in the 1AA playoffs and add revenue via wins, merch, tix, tv, sponsors, donors, etc. Ya know, the same way every other program benefits by winning.

Also we haven't dropped a division to compete. We dropped to the NEC and jumped back up to the CAA in an off-season, and have never not competed in the CAA for football since the A10 dissolved it's football conference. CAA is still a top division in FCS football.

As for the off-field benefits of the football program, please see the novels I wrote above.
Last edited by Blue Man 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

You would add the scholarships to woman's sports we already have. I doubt all our woman's sports are fully funded so I really don't think it would be an issue.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Buy games don't go away just because you get better. Buy games are a big part of running most FCS programs, and will continue. IF we get good the only thing that would change is that occasionally we may be able to get paid a large amount of money to beat some below average BCS team. A la JMU beating SMU.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Do you know how good you would have to be to scare off P5 football teams from buying a home game with you? (Hint: you cannot get that good as an FCS team. If anything, you will just get the opportunity to play against better teams in bigger venues because you're a more meaningful cupcake.)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote:Agree that we need to be focused on making football better. We need to be in a position for future conference shake-ups to be aligned with a football playing conference. When the AAC ultimately retools and UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple are looking for partners other than doormats of Tulane etc we should be ready. We can be the football doormat that offers a quality and more local basketball program than Tulane.
So now we should be looking at FBS football?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:

Disagree - those buy games still exist no matter how "good" your 1AA program is. With the exception of Appalachain State beating a very high Michigan team several years ago and JMU over SMU last year, 1AA schools are never a danger to win and they're always needed as a tune up for 1A schools as a game that doesn't count against them.

Also - if we get good at football, then you play in the 1AA playoffs and add revenue via wins, merch, tix, tv, sponsors, donors, etc. Ya know, the same way every other program benefits by winning.

Also we haven't dropped a division to compete. We dropped to the NEC and jumped back up to the CAA in an off-season, and have never not competed in the CAA for football since the A10 dissolved it's football conference. CAA is still a top division in FCS football.

As for the off-field benefits of the football program, please see the novels I wrote above.

FCS teams beat FBS teams all the time.

Most FCS teams lose money as they go along in the playoffs. The money they generate isn't equal to what they spend in increased travel, etc.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Most FCS teams lose money as they go along in the playoffs. The money they generate isn't equal to what they spend in increased travel, etc.
So we're back to my point that no program anywhere makes a profit so it's a moot point?

So even the good teams don't make a profit? Wins or losses don't matter on the spreadsheet?

So even if Rhody football were a perennial playoff team and very good that we'd still be operating in a deficit like every other program?

So if winning or losing doesn't affect the program operating in a deficit, thousands of people still show up to football games, and hundreds of thousands of dollars comes in even when football sucks - Rhody football is an albatross strangling the life out of the athletic department how again?
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I would be curious to see if there has been an uptake in donations to the bball program and school overall since the publicity of the tourney run.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The financially-based argument for dropping the football team is that without upgraded facilities the team will always suck and therefore should be dropped because it is bad and a money pit. The irony is that it would take 50+ years of turning modest profits to make back the money that it would cost to build a new stadium and then presumably become good (and even then turning a modest profit is not guaranteed).

The argument about football should not be (exclusively) about money, it should be about what type of university we want to be. If we are only going to play sports in which we will profit, be prepared to drop all sports. We don't only offer classes that turn a profit.

Obviously the school has to abide by certain economic realities, but every single decision cannot be about how profitable a specific activity is. We have to have a more holistic view.
Last edited by TruePoint 7 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

So we're back to my point that no program anywhere makes a profit so it's a moot point?

So even the good teams don't make a profit? Wins or losses don't matter on the spreadsheet?

So even if Rhody football were a perennial playoff team and very good that we'd still be operating in a deficit like every other program?

So if winning or losing doesn't affect the program operating in a deficit, thousands of people still show up to football games, and hundreds of thousands of dollars comes in even when football sucks - Rhody football is an albatross strangling the life out of the athletic department how again?
You're the one bringing up money. Revenue is only half of the equation. It doesn't matter what the revenue is if the costs are significantly higher.
0 x